• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Boxing Thread

Bullet Club

A bloodied and bruised Katie Taylor achieved her long-held goal of unifying the world lightweight championship with a wildly entertaining majority-decision win over Belgium’s Delfine Persoon at Madison Square Garden.

Taylor (14-0, 6 KOs), who entered with the WBA, WBO and IBF titles at 135lbs, survived her toughest moments as a professional to add Persoon’s WBC strap on the undercard of Saturday’s heavyweight title fight between Anthony Joshua and Andy Ruiz Jr. Ringside judges John Poturaj and Allen Nace scored it 96-94 for Taylor while Don Trella scored it 95-95, as did the Guardian.

Last edited:

Malakhov

Banned
I saw Fury for the first time against Deontay and he was unbelivable, I was very impressed.

Also Pacquiao tonight, wtf heh, the guy is 40 years old. What a machine.

Mista

Banned
I find it hard for anyone to defeat Wilder. The man got a right hook straight from hell

It happens so fast that even himself doesn’t realise it. Not sure I like Fury but definitely I wanna see him knocked out so he shuts his mouth

KOMANI

KOMANI
Started to love Boxing more and more with each passing year. Fight Night Champion on the PS3 and Hajime No Ippo had something to do with that :messenger_grinning_smiling:
Round 4 and round 3 were better games. Champion was flawed from the start.
Last night you had commentators painting a different story, as usual. They insisted that Thurman needed a KO to win, yet he won on a judge’s score cards,and landed more punches than Manny. I’m not saying Thurman was robbed, but it was much closer than anyone with a mic would have you believe (except the guy FOX hired to give out his scorecards). I miss Emanuel Stewart, RJ junior, and George Foreman announcing. RIP HBO boxing.

Round 4 and round 3 were better games. Champion was flawed from the start.
Last night you had commentators painting a different story, as usual. They insisted that Thurman needed a KO to win, yet he won on a judge’s score cards,and landed more punches than Manny. I’m not saying Thurman was robbed, but it was much closer than anyone with a mic would have you believe (except the guy FOX hired to give out his scorecards). I miss Emanuel Stewart, RJ junior, and George Foreman announcing. RIP HBO boxing.
Round 3 was the best gameplay wise and music wise. Round 4 had better presentation though.

KOMANI

KOMANI
Round 3 was the best gameplay wise and music wise. Round 4 had better presentation though.
They both had options when it came to defense. We went from 8 directional defensive parries in 3, to two defensive directions for perfect blocks, to one button for champion. Players would spam the block button to get east PB, which made EA remove them after a week. 4 was also 60 fps. The roster for both 4 and Champion were garbage.

Im not into boxing, I may get into watching now though. I just checked out deontay wilders track record and his fighting and he has 41 wins, 40 of which are by knockout. Zero losses. I'm interested in where he'll go and who will eventually defeat him. He is basically a machine. Another machine needs to enter the field and make it interesting. That Tyson fury was a soft cushy pillow compared to this wilders, who is carved out of wood with the face of an absolute predator who doesn't need to make an angry expression.

Im not into boxing, I may get into watching now though. I just checked out deontay wilders track record and his fighting and he has 41 wins, 40 of which are by knockout. Zero losses. I'm interested in where he'll go and who will eventually defeat him. He is basically a machine. Another machine needs to enter the field and make it interesting. That Tyson fury was a soft cushy pillow compared to this wilders, who is carved out of wood with the face of an absolute predator who doesn't need to make an angry expression.
Most people thought Fury beat Wilder already.

Fight tomorrow night at the O2 here in London.

The Matrix has this. I hope for a surprise but Loma will dance circles around him, imo he's a goat at his weight classes and can only (if possible) get better.

Last edited:

5ZKrcoW.jpg

Will try & catch this and UFC main, Fury with the usual craic 😅.

Weilthain

Banned
Want to see this live but 4am not really going to be hyped up at that hour :(

Will watch on YouTube when I wake up :)

mekes

Yeah. I believe Joshua is going in like a mad dog in this one

Oh man I hope so! The more entertaining the better! My gut is Joshua will fight super clean and technical, Ruiz will become the mad dog the longer the fight continues. The best thing about this fight for me tho, is that I’m not confident in what I expect to see at all. I personally have no idea what to expect. That’s why I’ll be watching this one.

Mista

Banned
Oh man I hope so! The more entertaining the better! My gut is Joshua will fight super clean and technical, Ruiz will become the mad dog the longer the fight continues. The best thing about this fight for me tho, is that I’m not confident in what I expect to see at all. I personally have no idea what to expect. That’s why I’ll be watching this one.
True that. This is going to be a great match!

bronk

Banned
I saw something on Instagram that Floyd is fighting Artem Lobov lol. How stupid. Was I tricked?

MastAndo

Gold Member
Were you ever having a perfectly fine, productive evening and then suddenly, you get smashed in the face with a sledgehammer? That was Ortiz's night.

I feel for the guy - he (once again) put together a good fight plan, and was executing, but was always one shot way from having his lights put out, and alas it happened. I don't really care much for Wilder's fighting ability in general, but that straight right is one of the most lethal the sport has ever seen.

KOMANI

KOMANI
It happens. Shogun was winning decisively against Henderson in the rematch until Hendo connected during a break.
or Michael Moorer getting KOed in the last few minutes of rd 10 by George Foreman, after winning 7/9 rounds. Wilder will always be looking for that one punch, cause that’s all he has. A disciplined boxer will outpoint him.

KOMANI

KOMANI
He just left Ricky Hatton to go back to his father as his trainer. Tyson also changed trainers. I believe he’s with Emanuel Steward’s kid.

KOMANI

KOMANI
Chavez JR quits again. I can’t believe he’s still fighting and criticizing his brother. What a waste.

Gargus

Banned
Boxing is still a thing?

I never hear anyone ever talk about it anymore and never see like big name boxer names anymore like Tyson or holyfield. The rare occasion I see it when flipping channels it's late at night and it's a couple short brown guys I'd never heard of before.

I can't name one boxer from the past 10 years but I can name like 5 UFC fighters and I dont even watch ufc.

KOMANI

KOMANI
Boxing is still a thing?

I never hear anyone ever talk about it anymore and never see like big name boxer names anymore like Tyson or holyfield. The rare occasion I see it when flipping channels it's late at night and it's a couple short brown guys I'd never heard of before.

I can't name one boxer from the past 10 years but I can name like 5 UFC fighters and I dont even watch ufc.
You don’t know of Floyd Mayweather JR or Manny Pacquiao ? Boxing is still big in Mexico and Europe, mostly. Although the Heavyweight scene is starting to get popular again due to some exciting fighters in the last 2 years.

Gargus

Banned
You don’t know of Floyd Mayweather JR or Manny Pacquiao ? Boxing is still big in Mexico and Europe, mostly. Although the Heavyweight scene is starting to get popular again due to some exciting fighters in the last 2 years.

Only Mayweather I knew of was his dad I guess. All i know is i hadn't heard the name in a while.

I never really followed boxing ever, just meant that even if you didnt follow boxing you still knew quite a few fighters from the sport being quite popular but anymore i dont know any names really. I figured it was still around but i hardly hear about it these days.

KOMANI

KOMANI
Only Mayweather I knew of was his dad I guess. All i know is i hadn't heard the name in a while.

I never really followed boxing ever, just meant that even if you didnt follow boxing you still knew quite a few fighters from the sport being quite popular but anymore i dont know any names really. I figured it was still around but i hardly hear about it these days.
Maybe his father or one of his two uncles. Tyson Fury gets around, he’s shown up at MMA/Wrestling events. Boxing doesn’t get pushed as much. No video games, dropped by HBO, the rise of MMA are all contributing factors. But once in awhile you’ll get a huge fight (Floyd vs Pac) or a movie (the Fighter) that will remind people that Boxing isn’t dead. It’s just a sport you either follow or you don’t, that doesn't get as much exposure in the states.

Top Bottom