• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BRÜTAL LEGEND official thread of umlauts and schaferian awesomeness

Dave1988

Wow, online is horrible. My stats get reset every time I log in so if I want to get the 50 wins trophy I have to do it in one go. Now, maybe that wouldn't be so bad if not for:
a) finding anyone to play with is like a miracle onto itself
b) even if I do find anyone to play with there is absolutely no guarantee that the match will actually start (match ending during the loading screen because only now did the game realize that the connection to the other player is poor FTW)
Seriously, did they even test the online component?

NIGHT-

The deeper I get in the game the more I keep wishing it was more action oriented instead of RTS. The game started off awesome and is just getting meh for me

Flynn

Awesome t-shirts from Mishka incoming. They're giving away two copies of the game too. Hit the link for the email address.

Headbangers.jpg

Metalbeast.jpg

I just beat the game. It was ok at first but after the first stage battle I hated it. Once I got the ability to fly I ended up loving it. By the end of the game, I ended up liking it, but not loving it.

oracrest

NIGHT- said:
The deeper I get in the game the more I keep wishing it was more action oriented instead of RTS. The game started off awesome and is just getting meh for me

yeah,
when you sprout all your demon wings and stuff, I thought I was about to be able to tear through some guys with new demon powers, but then you are pretty much just turned into a cursor

Metal heads, this is an interesting watch.....

part 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7oVnCgUY2Q

part 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGZGLxM4j-I&feature=related

part 3
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0b2OMwn7YQ&feature=related

part 4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QyFazVjKUFc&feature=related

part 5
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6B1TpOZYoa4&feature=related

part 6
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QfbDeXxqMnc&feature=related

Minamu

Guys, is this news? :) There's a whole bunch of new trophies available if you compare your stats with someone on your friends list. They are suggesting a new map pack & different sets of clothing & more of those annoying kill an x amount of enemy y with ally z.

Edit: I think we're looking at a small (?) expansion pack here :O The trophies mention both multiplayer maps & putting Razputin's head on Mt. Rockmore, which I assume means single player content (and where else could we make out with Ophelia in new outfits?). This isn't the first time that DLC have leaked this way on the ps3 :lol And if history is anything to go by, I think we're looking at a release around christmas or early Q1 :O

Owzers

i'd probably buy some good single-player dlc. I don't play this game online since i didnt really love the rts system, but i'd be up for some more funny/scenic Brutal Legend goodness.

bistromathics

facing a bright new dawn
I'm sad to say I didn't like Brutal Legend. I was totally looking forward to it, but never really liked the gameplay or the cutscenes or the theme or really anything about the game enough to play more than 2 or 3 hours. Got 1000 points on goozex for it, though.

:(

Dave1988

The Trophy list has been updated. You'll see them by using the "compare trophies option". Here's the list.

Carnivore - Bronze - Ran down 20 animals in the Deuce with the Coiling Maw equipped

If You Want Blood, You Got It - Bronze - Killed 20 Tainted Coil units with the Disgorger

Cry Me A River - Bronze - Killed 20 Drowning Doon units with the Eye of Sorrow

Whispering Rock - Bronze - Chiseled four Rasputin heads onto Mt. Rockmore

Beard Beard Action Beard! - Bronze - Made out with Ophelia while wearing the Mountain Man Threads

A Face Like A Beast - Bronze - Killed 15 enemies with a Metal Beast while wearing the Zaulia Threads

Hammer of Infinite Fate Tourist - Bronze - Played a multiplayer game on all Hammer of Infinite Fate multiplayer maps

Hammer of Fate Champion - Won 10 games on Hammer of Infinite Fate maps - ranked or vs. the brutal AI

Norwegian Sendoff - Visited the
grave of a fallen hero
while wearing the Black Metal Threads

Seems pretty substantial. Probably premium DLC.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
I can't see anybody getting too excited about multiplayer DLC for this any more. The game is dead online.

Like most in this thread, I was hugely disappointed with the game becoming an RTS after it seemed to be a action game.

If there is a sequel, I'd about kill for it to be a Diablo/Torchlight type deal.

Minamu

Flynn said:
Nice scoop on the Brutal Legend DLC.
Thanks ^_^ Haven't seen it on any news sites so far, though someone made a topic about it on gamefaqs almost at the same time as I saw it :S I hope the time table is the same as other leaked DLC. Every single Burnout Paradise DLC leaked in the same manner before a date was even announced (and was released within a month or so IIRC).

Edit: Multiplayer is mostly dead because of piss poor matchmaking & annoying trophy glitches which result in stats wipes. Deadly Sinners, indeed.

Proven

Minamu said:
Edit: Multiplayer is mostly dead because of piss poor matchmaking & annoying trophy glitches which result in stats wipes. Deadly Sinners, indeed.

Part of me really wants to play. I like the multiplayer, but I found that I prefer 2v2 matches rather than single play. Or maybe I'm just too scrub still. I've had more fun in team games with people from random communities more than playing single player matchmaking. Half the time I finish a match nowadays I invite the player I played with to try a team game with me.

Minamu

If anyone wants to boost on the ps3, add me. Same name as here. It's supposedly easier if we're 4 people. For some reason, I only get disconnected from lobbies before the game even starts even though it says we have a fully green bar... Only managed to get 1 win so far :lol

Macmanus

WanderingWind said:
appointed with the game becoming an RTS after it seemed to be a action game.

If there is a sequel, I'd about kill for it to be a Diablo/Torchlight type deal.

If you mean action RPG I'm totally with you, but if you're implying isometric dungeon crawler... well then not so much.

feel

Hey, does anyone know if hi-res JPEGs of the drawings from those ruins of legends (the ones that tell the story of the land, after you liberate them with X+A) are available on the internet somewhere?

Flynn

Letters said:
Hey, does anyone know if hi-res JPEGs of the drawings from those ruins of legends (the ones that tell the story of the land, after you liberate them with X+A) are available on the internet somewhere?

I haven't seen them.

They'd make a wicked set of prints wouldn't they?

The latest issue of Game Developer Magazine has a postmortem on Brutal Legend. Haven't read through it yet, but i can tell you that it took 74 in-house developers $24 million and 4.5 years to make it. Some major issues they had was selecting the right middleware for the game and getting it all to fit on a DVD (they say that around January 2009 the game was already larger than 9GB).

Interesting stuff.

beat

_leech_ said:
The latest issue of Game Developer Magazine has a postmortem on Brutal Legend. Haven't read through it yet, but i can tell you that it took 74 in-house developers $24 million and 4.5 years to make it. Some major issues they had was selecting the right middleware for the game and getting it all to fit on a DVD (they say that around January 2009 the game was already larger than 9GB).

Interesting stuff.
Did they break that $24M figure down any more precisely? Cause as far as I can tell that's an annual cost of $71K/head and that sounds like that would barely cover compensation for that many with nothing left for overhead.

beat said:
Did they break that $24M figure down any more precisely? Cause as far as I can tell that's an annual cost of $71K/head and that sounds like that would barely cover compensation for that many with nothing left for overhead.
Nope, just says the budget was $24 million.

peetfeet

Minamu said:
If anyone wants to boost on the ps3, add me. Same name as here. It's supposedly easier if we're 4 people. For some reason, I only get disconnected from lobbies before the game even starts even though it says we have a fully green bar... Only managed to get 1 win so far :lol

I got my Platinum yesterday, as much as i want to love this game the RTS aspect spoiled it for me somewhat. Having said that i'd still recommend it but only if the online is fixed. The fact that wins dont save 90% of the time and there are connection errors one after the other make it almost unplayable online.

If your'e going for the 50 wins trophy i recommend you put aside a minimum of 5-6 hours (unless you leave the console on overnight without exiting the game to carry on the next day) to get it. The online is at the point where only the dedicated trophy hunters are using it because its so wretched and due to this you WILL keep meeting the same players if you persist.

When you match up with someone send a message asking if they want to boost, if they do add them as a friend and open up a text chat - chances are they will already be with a buddy and before you know it you'll have a room full of desperate metalheads. Keep searching for games and take turns to surrender each time you meet. There were eventually 7 of us when I did it and like I said took around 5-6 hours for all of us to get to 50 due to 'poor connections' slowing us down.

I got my 10 wins trophy legit in about 3 hours of disconnections but lost patience when, after this, my wins reset. I hated taking the boosting route but at the moment without any patch on the horizon its the only way to do it. Such a shame as overall I enjoy the online aspect but this has put me off it so much.

Nelo Ice

Banned
peetfeet said:
Fuck me, I salute you! Geez. Are you unemployed by any chance? :lol

just going to school and my job is tutoring for a pathetic amt of hours and gets me chump change :lol

i got it within the 1st 2 weeks it was out since i was so addicted to playing and i just beat down all the scrubs...though all my losses were from ppl far better than me or ppl who fire baron rushed me when i wasnt prepared

Minamu

74 devs & no one saw the RTS bits getting inevitable gamer/press backlash? smh.

peetfeet: Yeah I kinda gave up as well :lol

Girsej

Anyone else downloaded the latest patch for the PS3 version? It seems like it messes up the audio once again, it's sounds like the demo now :/

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
Girsej said:
Anyone else downloaded the latest patch for the PS3 version? It seems like it messes up the audio once again, it's sounds like the demo now :/

I forgot about this, the demo and the full game were fine for me, but I know a lot here had problems with it... are you using HDMI, RCA, optical?

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
ok, I'm on hdmi, I'll see if I have problems too.

The first time I played the full game, that intro video had messed up sound for me, but not since. Freaked me out of course. But yeah, no problems for me from the demo or full game.

Girsej

levious said:
ok, I'm on hdmi, I'll see if I have problems too.

The first time I played the full game, that intro video had messed up sound for me, but not since. Freaked me out of course. But yeah, no problems for me from the demo or full game.

Hmm, seems that only sfxs in cutscenes sound like crap, ordinary sfx during gameplay is still alright. Can't really recall if both were crap in the demo, but I do remember the cutscenes having crappy sfx sound back then too.

Since nobody is talking about it, let me give a breakdown of The Hammer of Infinite Fates DLC and if you should buy it. It's 400 MS Points (aka $5) and it comes with 4 new multiplayer maps. If you actually play the multiplayer still, they seem decent enough.

This DLC includes 9 new achievements, 7 of which are for the singleplayer. Of the two new multiplayer achievements, only one poses any difficulty. The singleplayer achievements only took me about an hour to wrangle up, but I did like having an excuse to revisit the world of Brutal Legend.

Here is a quick breakdown of the new singleplayer content:
-an upgrade for the deuce that points out any Serpents/Legends/etc you might have missed (I kinda wish I had this before I found them all :/)
-a new primary weapon, secondary weapon, and plow for the deuce
-tons of new paint jobs, including a Psychonauts one
-tons of new heads for Mt. Rockmore, including Raz and Tim Schafer
-you can now change Eddie's outfit, you have 3 alternate looks to chose from
-you can now add a giant patch to the back of Eddie's jacket, including a Double Fine or Kabbage Boy logo

So basically a bunch of fan service. There are clever descriptions for all the new items and even the achievement have clever art and names. Some easy new objectives if you care to get achievements but no truly new gameplay. If you are a Tim Schafer super-fan like me you eat this shit up, though.

Overall I recommend it if one of the following applies:
a.) you are desperate for even the tiniest shred of new Brutal Legend content and have your expectations in check
b.) you are a completionist and want an upgrade that will lead you to all the hidden items
c.) you just want to support Double Fine games

Tokubetsu

a Master Ninja said:
Since nobody is talking about it, let me give a breakdown of The Hammer of Infinite Fates DLC and if you should buy it. It's 400 MS Points (aka $5) and it comes with 4 new multiplayer maps. If you actually play the multiplayer still, they seem decent enough.

This DLC includes 9 new achievements, 7 of which are for the singleplayer. Of the two new multiplayer achievements, only one poses any difficulty. The singleplayer achievements only took me about an hour to wrangle up, but I did like having an excuse to revisit the world of Brutal Legend.

Here is a quick breakdown of the new singleplayer content:
-an upgrade for the deuce that points out any Serpents/Legends/etc you might have missed (I kinda wish I had this before I found them all :/)
-a new primary weapon, secondary weapon, and plow for the deuce
-tons of new paint jobs, including a Psychonauts one
-tons of new heads for Mt. Rockmore, including Raz and Tim Schafer
-you can now change Eddie's outfit, you have 3 alternate looks to chose from
-you can now add a giant patch to the back of Eddie's jacket, including a Double Fine or Kabbage Boy logo

So basically a bunch of fan service. There are clever descriptions for all the new items and even the achievement have clever art and names. Some easy new objectives if you care to get achievements but no truly new gameplay. If you are a Tim Schafer super-fan like me you eat this shit up, though.

Overall I recommend it if one of the following applies:
a.) you are desperate for even the tiniest shred of new Brutal Legend content and have your expectations in check
b.) you are a completionist and want an upgrade that will lead you to all the hidden items
c.) you just want to support Double Fine games

So all of the above? Great now I have to rebuy Brutal Legend. I'll make sure it's a new copy. Not a day goes by that I don't regret trading it in.

Minamu

Girsej said:
There's no official list, but some members on Double Fine's forums has made a list of changes they've noticed.
Good fixes I suppose, but completely useless if you still can't find a god damn lobby to begin with :lol I was recently part of a 3 vs 3 boosting lobby with at least one gaffer but we still couldn't find each other.

Thrakier

Didn't finish the game although I'm a big metal fan and loved the world/setting. I just couldn't stand the RTS-Parts anymore and besides that I though all gameplay elements were mediocre at best. How can a "legend" like Schäfer make a game with such horrible problems in the gameplay? I expected mcuh much more.

feel

The RTS parts were annoying, but I loved the rest of the game. The metal based game world is beautiful and original, made me want to explore it just to experience it all and look at all the details, which is rare in games nowadays for me. Cruising the environments with a maxed out vehicle, while listening to the soundtrack, felt like an interactive badass music video. Loved it.

Minamu

Thrakier said:
Didn't finish the game although I'm a big metal fan and loved the world/setting. I just couldn't stand the RTS-Parts anymore and besides that I though all gameplay elements were mediocre at best. How can a "legend" like Schäfer make a game with such horrible problems in the gameplay? I expected mcuh much more.
Give them a break, they only had a 4.5 year short deadline with 20 million bucks to spend.

Proven

I don't know, I see the game a lot like how I saw Starcraft. The idea of large battles was awesome, but I sucked at it, so I started to dislike it. Then one day I decided to really look up what Starcraft is about. In terms of Starcraft, I looked online, but with Brutal Legend, I just looked into the game for counters, imagined up situations, and only after finishing the game did I look online.

And thus, I now really, really like Brutal Legend multiplayer. Over the next year with price drops I will slowly be seeding it to friends to play against.

Giolon

sillymonkey321 said:
Boooo the dlc is mainly multiplayer related Xo

Did you even read Tokubetsu's post a few higher than yours? Sounds like quite a bit of stuff for the single player campaign. I'm looking forward to putting Rima's head on Mt. Rockmore and using the new Serpent/Legend finder for my Brutal play through of the game.

Top Bottom