• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Brad Sams from Thurrott.com gives informations about the future of Xbox

Meh3D

Well looking at the SKUs it's not hard to determine what console is right for you just go for what you want and what is within your budget. I don't see the issue of offering options to the buyers as long as it's not confusing.

Its not that simple.

It was Microsoft who said games on xbox would be 1080P. It was Phil Harrison who argued against developers that this "clearly was not the case" in response. Look at the Xbox one today. Games at first played fine at 720P / 900P in the beginning but now you have games not playing the same (Resident Evil, Red Dead II) suffering from more than just further reductions in resolution. Had Xbox One and Xbox One X been launched this way back in 2013, I would have purchased Xbox One because I didn't have a TV for 4K at the time. I would have been livid feeling burned by MS on buying Xbox One.

Nope, Microsoft does not have that trust from me. No, games do not play the same on Xbox One. If I buy a console at launch and Sony doesn't screw it up (too pricey), it's going to be with whatever they call PS5. Maybe, years down the line in a sale I'll pick up what ever next-gen xbox 2 is the one that won't be the mess Xbox one is now.

I rather Microsoft focus on one well balanced console that adds features by building on what Xbox One X started. Focus on alternative options later down the line.

Last edited:

FacelessSamurai

..but cry so much I wish I had some
Its not that simple.

It was Microsoft who said games on xbox would be 1080P. It was Phil Harrison who argued against developers that this "clearly was not the case" in response. Look at the Xbox one today. Games at first played fine at 720P / 900P in the beginning but now you have games not playing the same (Resident Evil, Red Dead II) suffering from more than just further reductions in resolution. Had Xbox One and Xbox One X been launched this way back in 2013, I would have purchased Xbox One because I didn't have a TV for 4K at the time. I would have been livid feeling burned by MS on buying Xbox One.

Nope, Microsoft does not have that trust from me. No, games do not play the same on Xbox One. If I buy a console at launch and Sony doesn't screw it up (too pricey), it's going to be with whatever they call PS5. Maybe, years down the line in a sale I'll pick up what ever next-gen xbox 2 is the one that won't be the mess Xbox one is now.

I rather Microsoft focus on one well balanced console that adds features by building on what Xbox One X started. Focus on alternative options later down the line.
This was all due to the ESRAM though because they wanted to make sure they could include 8GB of ram early on in their design as GFDR5 at the time wasn’t gonna cut it for price reasons and it was impossible to change the design later on.

They won’t make that same mistake again, next system is going back to being 1 memory pool like the 360 and the Xbox One X so it should be fine.

Expect a 1089p and a 4K model if they go with 2SKUs.

Tiamat2san

I want a beast.
If possible not at $800 but $600 could do it.
$400 for the middle range
And $200 for the base .
It would be cool

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I want a beast.
If possible not at $800 but $600 could do it.
$400 for the middle range
And $200 for the base .
It would be cool
I'd like beast mode model too. If rumours are true with two models of varying power/streaming, I'd go for the pricier model. $600 would be good with me too. $800 forget it.

Would be a win win for all gamers budgets.

Just like cars. The pricier version has better options, more horsepower, and probably looks better as it's the sport edition with better curves and rims. If you can't afford it or are happier with modest specs, then you buy the cheaper one. They all do the same thing at the end of the day, but one performs and looks a bit better than the worst version.

FacelessSamurai

..but cry so much I wish I had some
With this approach developers will never use full power of the 600$ sku. So useless
Please explain. I find the difference in my Xbox One X to be pretty big compared to the other consoles and far from worthless use of power.

They’ll be newer consoles with newer cpus and gpus architectures, they could definitely have different tiers running the same effects at different resolutions and still push boundaries. Nothing would be held back.

Last edited:

Tiamat2san

Please explain. I find the difference in my Xbox One X to be pretty big compared to the other consoles and far from worthless use of power.

They’ll be newer consoles with newer cpus and gpus architectures, they could definitely have different tiers running the same effects at different resolutions and still push boundaries. Nothing would be held back.
Agree
They develop the best version possible and then they adapt it to the power available on each console.
It’s the way they do it for the enhanced consoles now.
They can continue in the future.

With this approach developers will never use full power of the 600$ sku. So useless
You forget MS development tools allows for coding once and the software scales to fit whatever config. They create for the highest hardware first and the software scales down. Hope I was clear.

Last edited:

DanielsM

Banned

No dude (guy in the video), you got it backwards, they don't want to sell you a game, they want you to ulitimately and eventually subscribe to services, as part of those "services", you can play your purchased digital content or go into a rental type subscription or both. That's the end game, but they have to move the users to the platform that does not yet exist, hence new hardware for the time being as the services are not complete and you have to slow cook the frogs. He is probably right they will bundle subscriptions (eventually), say a GamePass Pro subscription or say Office 365 Home Entertainment Premium. The real goal is to get it eventually all to the cloud, games will processed in the cloud, your purchases will be in the cloud, your game will be in the cloud, you will stream from the cloud - many years off though.

They want a subscription to run the game and access the game and store the data, than they want the 30% to sell you the game which is all virtual, or they'll rent you a game. Same as their business services.

Last edited:
Top Bottom