• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Brad Sams: XBox Lockhart is cancelled.

Looks like a lot of people in the other thread couldn't read :messenger_tears_of_joy:.

Yes, I though there was some echo here.

It's an idea I though was OK at first, then I started to think about it, why would they release a console that is in some aspects better than the X (likely CPU and IO)... yet has a weaker GPU (well suited for 1080p TV sets)... I get the nuances, but I bet most people wouldn't see them.

They also confirmed the Xbox One S will remain as the base hardware for next-gen.
Sorry to break this to you: The S is already not baseline when third party devs work on their games, the base PS4 is.

Its also insane how him leaving doesnt even so much as have a thread here, or anywhere else for that matter. Is there just that much apathy and indifference for xbox that no one even cares? Imagine Cerny leaving Playstaion the same week we started to hear rumors that the next xbox was more powerful. Gaf would break.
Nobody knew the guy - you couldn't even name him in this post. So, maybe there was a thread but it got buried so fast that nobody saw it! Beyond the trolling, there is a whole team behind the guy, I can assume that there is a replacement in line and the project will go well. I wish him well at Intel, this has nothing to do with the quality of his work.

Everybody knows and respect Cerny, he has a public role as well as a technical one.

Edit: Calling it now, Xbox scarlet will be delayed until 2021.
If your suspicions are true (possible, I don't know) this may happen, that would mean some serious undertaking if they need to adjust the chip with AMD some more in order to keep the prices under control.

Last edited:

Journey

Banned
If true probably due to negative feedback from devs. Oh well if so i expect a $300 7nm One X slim revision to act as the new baseline. Those who cant afford scarlett will get that or use Xcloud.

Speaking of feedback, could this be the reason devs were saying PS5 is more powerful? :p

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
You dont find it odd or strange that the same week we get rumblings that the PS5 Might be more powerful than the next xbox that the lead architect leaves a little convenient? Then the following week Microsft drops the rumored 2 SKU approach? Hell maybe they fired the guy? He didnt just up and leave the Scarlett team because his work is done. If anything its back to the drawing board because they now have to rework anaconda to be somewhat affordable.

I'll do an avatar bet. It won't miss 2020.

demigod

You dont find it odd or strange that the same week we get rumblings that the PS5 Might be more powerful than the next xbox that the lead architect leaves a little convenient? Then the following week Microsft drops the rumored 2 SKU approach? Hell maybe they fired the guy? He didnt just up and leave the Scarlett team because his work is done. If anything its back to the drawing board because they now have to rework anaconda to be somewhat affordable.

It would look really bad to announce holiday 2020 at E3 a year out and then delay into 2021.

Cato

Banned
Good move MS.

If they launch a gimped box but at a lower price, that lower price box is what (almost) every parent will buy to their kids for christmas and you will end up
with a repeat of how the current generation started.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Been a rough few weeks for team green despite having e3 all to themselves. Lockheart wouldve hamstrung next gen for years to come so they could have a hail mary attempt to undercut whatever sony was going to to do. I cant imagine how frustrating it must be to still trip over yourself while your biggest opponent sits quietly on the side lines. All the meanwhile your new discless console launches the month of May and manage to sell only 87k units. Surely someone at microsoft sees the writing on the walls?

Who was so delusional that was thinking a console as advertised so poorly (its own marketing was making it see a bad idea...) and released at that price would be going to set the sales chart on fire 😂?!

Last edited:
So, if MS had two machines:

Lockhart: Underpowered, but cheaper (Scarlett Lite)
Anaconda: Far more powerful, but much more expensive (Scarlett Pro)

And they then cancel Scarlett Lite, they will be left with a machine that's more powerful than a PS5 but also far more expensive.

The only move then would be to strip down the Anaconda so that it can compete on price. My guess will be that they'd do so, but in the end finish up with a machine that not quite up to the same level as the PS5.

Last edited:

bitbydeath

And they then cancel Scarlett Lite, they will be left with a machine that's more powerful than a PS5 but also far more expensive.

The only move then would be to strip down the Anaconda so that it can compete on price. My guess will be that they'd do so, but in the end finish up with a machine that not quite up to the same level as the PS5.

According to rumours though Anaconda was still less powerful than the PS5. Maybe scrapping Lockhart means they can focus more on it to improve it?

demigod

Once again, there was no dev that came out to say Anaconda was more powerful. It was so called insiders, the same insiders who leaked that there were 2 SKUs and now they have to backtrack after Phil came out with that interview.

baphomet

The game trailers at E3 are planned to launch on Xbox One and some of those could be 3+ years out.

Xbox One games are Xbox One games. Doesn't matter if they're 5 years out.

People seem to think because Lockhart is cancelled that somehow the One X is going to take its place playing next gen games on the "lower end." That's not going to happen.

Pejo

Based on the name, I can only assume it was cancelled because the XBOX team was disappointed in Tifa's bust size, so they cancelled the console.

This is probably a good move. Consolidate resources for launch and don't sit on a bunch of SKUs that won't sell. If there's a market for it later, that's another thing altogether, but early adopters will almost always want the latest and greatest.

bitbydeath

I'm not sure what you meant, I though you meant that developers would be told to still target it as a base to have games working.

First party are:

How much of a focus are you mandating these studios place on content for current systems versus content for Scarlett going forward?“

Matt Booty: We want to have Xbox one support.

quest

Not Banned from OT
Great news lockheart became useless now that 4k TVs are so cheap. By the time next generation launches basically every new TV sold will be 4k.

Excellent news. Now Microsoft can concentrate its resources and expertise on one model only just like Sony is doing. Let Sony and Microsoft go for each others throat. True gamers (not the fanboys) will be the ones that will benefit the most.

I still think they also scaled back Anaconda as well. I fear they are holding the beast machine back for a mid-gen refresh.

Phil Spencer confirmed no mid gen refreshes in an another interview. and also confirmed scarlett is NOT the last console. Meaning that there will be future console generations (at least for xbox)

Last edited:
Phil Spencer confirmed no mid gen refreshes in an another interview. and also confirmed scarlett is NOT the last console. Meaning that there will be future console generations (at least for xbox)

Nothing Phil says will make any difference to the haters who are still convinced XBox is going to be shuttered any day now.

Nothing Phil says will make any difference to the haters who are still convinced XBox is going to be shuttered any day now.

Meh as a gamer I'll be getting both systems day 1 cause I love gaming. As a professional person the industry I want Microsoft to have better success this time around and a better image.

I'm still lending credence to this never actually existed and these idiot "insiders" were just looking for two next-generation SKU's because Phil said "consoles"; which mind you he explained as the Xbox One S All-Digital Edition and Scarlett.

They were wrong and now they're running damage control to make it appear like they were right but it was then cancelled. It's quite transparent, they're trying to maintain their limited credibility.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
Seems like devs didn’t like it and PS5 being stronger get them to cancel Lockhart and focus in a single powerful SKU to try to beat PS5.

I wonder how much in the development Lockhart was before be canned.

And next-gen base de elopement is safe now... at least no Lockhart to hold developers... it is a decision good even for PS5 multiplatforms.

ethomaz

Banned
I'm still lending credence to this never actually existed and these idiot "insiders" were just looking for two next-generation SKU's because Phil said "consoles"; which mind you he explained as the Xbox One S All-Digital Edition and Scarlett.

They were wrong and now they're running damage control to make it appear like they were right but it was then cancelled. It's quite transparent, they're trying to maintain their limited credibility.
Phil said consoles not one but dozen of times and it was not related or about SAD.

This quote was clear about next-gen and not SAD:

“Our hardware team, the same team that delivered unprecedented performance with Xbox One X, is deep into architecting the next Xbox consoles, where we will once again deliver on our commitment to deliver the benchmark of console gaming,”

Last edited:
It is true... and he said consoles more after.

Even developers said they where not happy with Lockhart lol

But to you it never existed? Talk about a tool.
giphy.gif

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Phil said consoles not one but dozen of times and it was not related or about SAD.

This quote was clear about next-gen and not SAD:

“Our hardware team, the same team that delivered unprecedented performance with Xbox One X, is deep into architecting the next Xbox consoles, where we will once again deliver on our commitment to deliver the benchmark of console gaming,”

If it were SAD in that equation, not a very good benchmark to set.

So pick your poison with the parsing of what he meant. ;)

demigod

I didn't fall for Lockhart, I explained the place it could hold if it were something that existed.

Burden of proof, bud. He said it once, now prove he said it more than once because it ain't gonna happen.

I knew you were going to spin it.

Also if you kept up, there are multiple insiders that claim Lockhart was real.

Zhuge, Matt, Benji and not just Klobrille and Brad.

I knew you were going to spin it.

Also if you kept up, there are multiple insiders that claim Lockhart was real.

Zhuge, Matt, Benji and not just Klobrille and Brad.
Of course there are, because these are the same people who talked about it initially and they're running damage control to save face for being wrong.

It went from being some rumor to "oh we know it was cancelled" real quick. Their entire existence hinges on not being wrong, when they are they have to flip the script.

Last edited:
Bro...we already had this conversation lol.
No we didn't, we had a conversation about when Scarlett first came to light. Not how many times Phil Spencer said "consoles", which mind you was only the one time on stage at E3.

Last edited:

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
No we didn't.

Yes we had this debate in the other thread. The same people who were sources for the Scarlett name were the same sources that gave the Lockhart and Anaconda names.

I really don't understand why you are trying to die on this cross that the two consoles thing is pure bs.

Yes we had this debate in the other thread. The same people who were sources for the Scarlett name were the same sources that gave the Lockhart and Anaconda names.

I really don't understand why you are trying to die on this cross that the two consoles thing is pure bs.
Incorrect.

No we didn't, we had a conversation about when Scarlett first came to light. Not how many times Phil Spencer said "consoles", which mind you was only the one time on stage at E3.

Klayzer

Of course there are, because these are the same people who talked about it initially and they're running damage control to save face for being wrong.

It went from being some rumor to "oh we know it was cancelled" real quick. Their entire existence hinges on not being wrong, when they are they have to flip the script.
There's a lot irony in your statement about others doing damage control. All the insiders are wrong and you are right...sure thing buddy.

Top Bottom