• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Brad Sams: XBox Lockhart is cancelled.

Handy Fake

sw_9_grande.gif

Etc.

CyberPanda

Banned
Maybe post the article?

Last year at E3, Phil Spencer at the end of Microsoft’s keynote, said that the company was working on new consoles for the next generation of gaming. At E3 in 2019, Phil’s on-stage discussion pointed towards one device and now the path forward is becoming a bit more clear.
In an interview with Business Insider, Phil states that the company is focused on one console even though last year he said consoles. He joked that technically Microsoft did launch a new console last year and Scarlett does make two, but anyone who was watching the event and following interviews knows that he was referring to multiple next-gen consoles.

Further, the evidence and insiders at the company acknowledged that there were two devices on the roadmap for Xbox; Lockhart and Anaconda. Even though the company has released one new console and has another planned, I firmly believe that at E3 2018, Phil was referring to two next-gen consoles on stage.

All this being said, Microsoft’s current plan for its next-generation Xbox is to focus on Scarlett and all mentions of Lockhart, which was previously documented in several places, has now been scrubbed clean. The big question is what prompted the change in the strategy?
Talking with various people inside and outside of Microsoft, here is my best conclusion as to why the device was removed from the roadmap.
First, developers were having a harder than expected time creating next-generation games that spanned across two systems with various specs. As you might expect, developers were putting a focus on making games that would run well on the lower-end device first and then scaling them up to the higher-speced, Anaconda.

Keep in mind, it’s easier to scale up than it is to scale down. Because of this, next-gen Xbox games would be at performance and visual disadvantage which is not what Microsoft would like to see as it starts to go head-to-head with the next generation PlayStation.
I’m not the only one hearing this, Digital Foundry, speaking with people at E3, have heard this too.
But that may not be the only reasons. The purpose of Lockhart was to make it easier to join the Xbox family with a console that was priced much lower than it’s a bigger brother, Anaconda. With the progress made on xCloud and its ability to bring high quality, low latency gaming to any device, Lockhart started to become more of an obstacle for Microsoft.

Even though Microsoft currently has multiple consoles available with the One S, X, and All-Digital-Edition, streamlining next generation will make it easier for the company to focus on one device. And considering margins are lower on hardware and Microsoft really just wants to sell games, no matter the platform, selling one flagship and pushing xCloud for everything else makes a bit of sense.

demigod

Looks like a lot of people in the other thread couldn't read :messenger_tears_of_joy:.

nikolino840

“Last year we said consoles, and we’ve shipped a console and we’ve now detailed another console. I think that’s plural,” Spencer said.

The console that Microsoft shipped earlier this year, of course, was not a new Xbox console – it was a disc-less version of its already existing Xbox One S hardware.

“Technically that is plural,” Spencer said with a laugh after I pushed him on the technicality he invoked. “Right now,” he said, “we’re focused on Project Scarlett and what we put on stage.”

Spencer

Two consoles was Just rumors

Alx

I still think they also scaled back Anaconda as well. I fear they are holding the beast machine back for a mid-gen refresh.

I think it's likely. The anaconda was supposed to be the premium hardware, I doubt they switched to a "premium only" model. Unless they bet everything on cross-generations support, they have to aim for a middle ground between cost and performance.

Mass Shift

xCloud will replace lockhart. PS5 comparisons were most likely based on Lockhart and not Anaconda.

That's what I'm thinking as well. At least now.

I have to be honest though, I really thought MS was going to release a modular system this time. You could basically slap in the Xbox mobo of your choice and you wouldn't need to buy a whole new box later for a mid-gen refresh or full upgrade.

But if MS really is that confident in XCloud then why not release a mobile streaming device for it? A 10inch to 12inch mobile Xbox Cloud with a kickstand and the wireless XB controller of your choice.

NickFire

Looks like a lot of people in the other thread couldn't read :messenger_tears_of_joy:.

No dude. The quotes highlighted in that thread were PR responses that danced around the issue, and not a direct no to launching two consoles. Perhaps the PR was simply to avoid confirming changed plans as opposed to leaving a foot in the door. But it doesn't change the fact that those quotes were PR type fluff, and this thread is claiming developers are now confirming the changed plans.

I still think they also scaled back Anaconda as well. I fear they are holding the beast machine back for a mid-gen refresh.

Interesting thought, but while the X is awesome, didn’t going this route not pay off in the long run this gen? I would think they wouldn’t want to give away the hardware advantage at the start once again?

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
I understand the need for a lower spec machine. Cheaper, and would ease new buyers in. But it fractures your user base too much and causes head aches.

But streaming? Go for it. If they can some how get an Xbox One S streaming Xbox next content, something which is possible, then hell, you’ve got something special there at a reduced price for people not willing to part with cash. Yeah, streaming is shit, yeah, it’s not the best product... but it’s better this way.

demigod

No dude. The quotes highlighted in that thread were PR responses that danced around the issue, and not a direct no to launching two consoles. Perhaps the PR was simply to avoid confirming changed plans as opposed to leaving a foot in the door. But it doesn't change the fact that those quotes were PR type fluff, and this thread is claiming developers are now confirming the changed plans.

You are still in denial because you were wrong.

Gamernyc78

Banned
Interesting thought, but while the X is awesome, didn’t going this route not pay off in the long run this gen? I would think they wouldn’t want to give away the hardware advantage at the start once again?

Microsoft having stronger hardware in the beginning won't affect Sony sales or put Microsoft in the lead.. We saw a cheaper Xbox 360 tht played better multiplat games most of the gen still get outsold almost every month worldwide by a more expensive PS3 through the lifetime of the console. Only reason Xbox 360 had as many sales as ps3 in the end was a year head start and hundreds of thousands of rebought Xbox 360s due to rrod.

Just saying. This goes beyond power.

Codes 208

3y4a3.gif

Though I didnt mind the idea of two separate systems, it’d definitely be better to focus on one next gen system for now.

Those saying that xbox one s will be relevant with next gen: thats usually how launches work with cross gen, but I dont expect it be relevant as a base two-three years after the next system launches.

Its *possible* they may rebrand the X as an alternative but i seriously doubt the S will see much relevance three years from now. Hell, it barely has relevance now.

• LOL
Reactions: Isa

FrostyJ93

In the end more hardware sales the better but MS isn't that bothered by how much Scarlett may or may not sell. As long as you are playing Xbox games and using Xbox services, they dont care where you do it anymore.

mckmas8808

Banned
That's what I'm thinking as well. At least now.

I have to be honest though, I really thought MS was going to release a modular system this time. You could basically slap in the Xbox mobo of your choice and you wouldn't need to buy a whole new box later for a mid-gen refresh or full upgrade.

But if MS really is that confident in XCloud then why not release a mobile streaming device for it? A 10inch to 12inch mobile Xbox Cloud with a kickstand and the wireless XB controller of your choice.

Is this a PC at that point? Why even make a console then?

He didn't dance around the issue because it is still uo on the air. He danced around the issue because he doesn't want to say they backpedaled. It's like PR 101. Only one console. Nothing sinister about it, it's just better for them to not talk about it.

demigod

Your attitude is bad and you should feel bad. Lets wait for the official confirmation no? Microsoft statements are still extremely vague and can be interpreted either way.

It must really hurt you that 2 xbox insiders are saying this now. I mean...they are insiders....unlike you.

Hey champ. Do me the favor of reading this post: https://www.neogaf.com/threads/micr...nching-with-two-models.1488085/post-254619100

Why would it hurt me that two insiders are saying this?

It does give credence to the haters who are hoping Microsoft is cancelling all hardware. Even Brad Sams was engaging in some of that today talking about non-existance margins on hardware and how people inside Microsoft want to exit hardware, blah blah blah. I really wish he'd give us those names.

bitbydeath

Your attitude is bad and you should feel bad. Lets wait for the official confirmation no? Microsoft statements are still extremely vague and can be interpreted either way.

Phil won’t directly mention Lockhart as MS had never used that word before.

The closest we will ever get is Phil rolling back on his statement of ‘consoles’ which we already received.

TBiddy

Phil won’t directly mention Lockhart as MS had never used that word before.

The closest we will ever get is Phil rolling back on his statement of ‘consoles’ which we already received.

You might be right, yeah. I'm not that surprised about the decision (if Lockhart ever existed) to be honest. I just find it odd, that noone from Microsoft will come out and say: "We're only launching one console", if that's the plan.

Hey champ, maybe you should go back and read again, this time sloooowly.

Apparantly you're confusing me with someone who wants Lockhart to happen or someone who is upset about something. I'm just pointing out that your way of engaging in a 'debate' is bad.

demigod

Apparantly you're confusing me with someone who wants Lockhart to happen or someone who is upset about something. I'm just pointing out that your way of engaging in a 'debate' is bad.

Are you seriously going to go that route?

TBiddy

Are you seriously going to go that route?

I am. If you have further comments, please shoot me a PM.

Dabaus

Banned
Amazing the attempt to spin this in favor of Microsoft somehow.

Been a rough few weeks for team green despite having e3 all to themselves. Lockheart wouldve hamstrung next gen for years to come so they could have a hail mary attempt to undercut whatever sony was going to to do. I cant imagine how frustrating it must be to still trip over yourself while your biggest opponent sits quietly on the side lines. All the meanwhile your new discless console launches the month of May and manage to sell only 87k units. Surely someone at microsoft sees the writing on the walls?

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
They also confirmed the Xbox One S will remain as the base hardware for next-gen.
Nintendo said this about the DS when it released, saying it wouldn't replace the Game Boy line. Turns out, it's just marketing FUD to convince people to keep buying game consoles in the meantime and to not worry about your shiny new Xbox One X being instantly outdated in the next few months.

Dabaus

Banned
Wonder if Scarlet's lead designer leaving MS for Intel also has something to do with this? Surely this cancellation and him leaving arent just coincidences? Its also insane how him leaving doesnt even so much as have a thread here, or anywhere else for that matter. Is there just that much apathy and indifference for xbox that no one even cares? Imagine Cerny leaving Playstaion the same week we started to hear rumors that the next xbox was more powerful. Gaf would break.

Last edited:
Nintendo said this about the DS when it released, saying it wouldn't replace the Game Boy line. Turns out, it's just marketing FUD to convince people to keep buying game consoles in the meantime and to not worry about your shiny new Xbox One X being instantly outdated in the next few months.

Apple did the same stuff with their trash can Mac Pro.

CyberPanda

Banned
Wonder if Scarlet's lead designer leaving MS for Intel also has something to do with this? Surely this cancellation and him leaving arent just coincidences? Its also insane how him leaving doesnt even so much as have a thread here, or anywhere else for that matter.
There was already a thread made many days ago about him leaving. And, enough with the ridiculous theories. People come and go out of any company and the employees don’t have any allegiance, they simply sign a contract and work there for however many years listed on the contract, and move on to other job opportunities. All these people care about is money, and Intel obviously offered a very good salary and even benefits, and he decided to move on. This goes for any corporation or company.

Last edited:

Dabaus

Banned
There was already a thread made many days ago about him leaving. And, enough with the ridiculous theories. People come and go out of any company and the employees don’t have any allegiance, they simply sign a contract and work there for however many years listed on the contract, and move on to other job opportunities. All these people care about is money, and Intel obviously offered a very good salary and even benefits, and he decided to move on. This goes for any corporation or company.

You dont find it odd or strange that the same week we get rumblings that the PS5 Might be more powerful than the next xbox that the lead architect leaves a little convenient? Then the following week Microsft drops the rumored 2 SKU approach? Hell maybe they fired the guy? He didnt just up and leave the Scarlett team because his work is done. If anything its back to the drawing board because they now have to rework anaconda to be somewhat affordable.

Edit: Calling it now, Xbox scarlet will be delayed until 2021.

Last edited:
Top Bottom