• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Brand colour and iconic symbols in video games

levyjl1988

Banned
When you think of brands what colour do you associate them with?

1WSL0Dl.jpg

Xbox = Green
Nintendo = Red
Playsation = Blue

We used to associate Link with his green tunic.

G5WE2MR.png

Nintendo refreshed the series with Breath of the Wild, a huge departure, now without his iconic green tunic and his hat.

NotHqdo.png

How do you feel about such drastic departures? It seems that many fans didn't mind at all.
It felt refreshing as we were still able to customize Link anyway. We knew that it was Link even though his iconic uniform wasn't the focal point.

What makes a character iconic?

Is it true that you are still something without the suit, the suit may be the symbolic representation, but what really represents the character is the spirit or attitude?

Like this is Mario.

rBJQkzA.jpg

Despite him having many occupations like Homer Simpson, we still identify him by Mario.

DnbJ3uh.jpg

Anyway going back to the topic.

Do you still want to see drastic shifts and representations of video game characters?
With Sony shifting to a different box other than blue for their PS5, do you welcome such change?
I always see rebranding and different colour schemes like Nintendo trying to be modern with:

nHiu2uU.jpg

despite their venture to different approaches. Nintendo is best identified with their signature red logo.

Should Sony embrace Blue in their PS5 boxes. They seem to be shifting to black and it just doesn't feel right. It ruins the spectrum of RBG that we expected.

levyjl1988

Banned
I love how Microsoft embraced its green brand colour from the very start with green Xbox cases for Xbox, continuing off with the same for Xbox 360 and for Xbox One.

pqIGGrD.jpg

fYSvU3E.jpg

WNLYo80.jpg

I got to applaud Microsoft for their consistency of keeping it green.

Green representing Masterchief.
Green representing money and how much Microsoft has in the bank.
Green because it fits in the RGB spectrum.

It works. Xbox embraces green and it's reassuring and good that they are convicted to continue that legacy.

levyjl1988

Banned
Nintendo was all over the place, like their controllers and its evolution.
They are highly experimental and still trying to figure out its own identity over time.

yCBw3h2.jpg

FwMnO3Z.png

They went from black cases on the Gamecube, to white cases for the Nintendo Wii, then blue cases for the wii u, then clear cases for the Nintendo Switch, but the red is heavily implied on the box art.

XwMte4t.jpg

kbz7j5A.jpg

P1HjPZM.jpg

EyMHoyK.jpg

Nintendo going back to red seems like they found their identity.

levyjl1988

Banned
Playstation's color is not blue. Its black-blue (and now white)

When I think of Sony I think White on Black.

1MCXrBp.jpg

When I think of the Playstation brand I think Blue.

t0RlSjM.jpg

When I think of Blu Ray I think blue.

WLXDhp2.png

When I think of 4K Ultra HD I think of white/silver on black.

VEfjywk.jpg

levyjl1988

Banned
So seeing Sony going back to black cases feel off. It's like returning to the past, but still not embracing their iconic blue.

xNjfOOP.jpg

Sony had the jewel cases similar to PC games.

4qRCWq7.jpg

Then came the black DVD cases which PS2 used.

riIzZXI.jpg

They started to use clear cases.

Ll70w3N.jpg

Sony embracing their blue with the PS4.

and now they are returning to black for PS5, wtf!

reptilex

Banned
When you think of brands what colour do you associate them with?

We used to associate Link with his green tunic.

G5WE2MR.png

Nintendo refreshed the series with Breath of the Wild, a huge departure, now without his iconic green tunic and his hat.

NotHqdo.png

How do you feel about such drastic departures? It seems that many fans didn't mind at all.
It felt refreshing as we were still able to customize Link anyway. We knew that it was Link even though his iconic uniform wasn't the focal point.

What makes a character iconic?

Is it true that you are still something without the suit, the suit may be the symbolic representation, but what really represents the character is the spirit or attitude?

Like this is Mario.

rBJQkzA.jpg

Anyway going back to the topic.

Do you still want to see drastic shifts and representations of video game characters?
With Sony shifting to a different box other than blue for their PS5, do you welcome such change?
I always see rebranding and different colour schemes like Nintendo trying to be modern with:

nHiu2uU.jpg

despite their venture to different approaches. Nintendo is best identified with their signature red logo.

Should Sony embrace Blue in their PS5 boxes. They seem to be shifting to black and it just doesn't feel right. It ruins the spectrum of RBG that we expected.

I don't understand the question, which is too basic to make sense to me, but there: the mind associates "entities" or conceptual objects with a number of items as far as visual cognition goes: shape, silouhette, dynamics, morphology, tones, light, definition, aspects, constituents, spaces and features...not just colors.

Brands usually play on 3 items: colors/palettes, silouhette (of their logotypes or assets) and mouvements (spaces, sizes and dynamics of the design in their overall communication contents).

Mario or Link are something else, and it's not merely about the color but the silhouette, morphology and features, it's recognisable even distorted or caricatured, or even blacked out because after being exposed to it many times, the visual cognitive brain has a way of reading and remembering informations with certain priorities because of evolutionary reasons: if it has eyes, heads and body it's probably alive (even when it's not and fictional) therefor it might be a physical danger or a "social" opportunity therefor you first look at the morphology to assess threat, then features and traits because the more you see it without feeling threatened or being a problem, the more the brain associate the character as a "social opportunity" and you brain will therefor start reading detailed features (size of eyes, shape of nose, height, clothes etc...) and remember them, which is when it becomes "familiar".

Banned
well sony actually switched to red during the early PS3 era.
the logos on the side were red and I bet that's also why the PS3 version of Soul Calibur 4 had Darth Vader and Xbox had Yoda. PS3 = Black/Red, Xbox = White/Green, did fit very well.

tukgv0lv7xw21.jpg

Last edited:

Aion002

Sony is continuing to push blue with the PS5:

PS5-1-1024x575.jpg

Which is pretty cool, I think... Nintendo Red, MS Green and Playstation Blue....

dd4c9c6da8dbe3a622b431416436dc9d.gif

Top Bottom