• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Brand new 4K PC screenshots for Red Dead Redemption 2 surface online

CyberPanda

Banned
NVIDIA has just released three new 4K PC screenshots for Red Dead Redemption 2. This screenshots are most likely with all the bells and whistles enabled, and showcase how the PC version will look like.

Now before getting your hopes up, that logo at the bottom right does not confirm any Ray Tracing effects. From what we know so far, the game will not feature any. My guess is that NVIDIA included it to simply promote its RTX 20 series graphics cards.

Rockstar has stated that the PC version will have increased draw distances for better navigation, higher quality global illumination and ambient occlusion for improved day and night lighting, and higher quality snow trails. Furthermore, the game will have improved reflections and deeper, higher resolution shadows at all distances. Tessellated tree textures and improved grass and fur textures will be also added for extra realism.

Red Dead Redemption 2 releases on the PC on November 5th.

Nnb2IfS.jpg

BzfTgVC.jpg

Bpkk71U.jpg

Strange that there is no RTX gimmicks announced for this. Leather Jacket Man™ 's leather jacket must be salivating at the idea.

Arun1910

The difference isn't as big as I thought it would be, graphically. Then again, the console versions did look stunning anyway.

I only had 3 gripes with the console version. Frame rate, aiming, input delay.

2 out of 3 should be fixed. I'm ready to jump back in either way.

Burger

Strange that there is no RTX gimmicks announced for this. Leather Jacket Man™ 's leather jacket must be salivating at the idea.

I imagine the lighting model used by RAGE is already pretty complicated, adding raytracing would likely not be trivial. They faked HDR before implementing something that approaches HDR, but still looks bad.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
i'm excited but also cautious. the thing in GTA V that tanked performance most was the fucking grass. and in RDR2 there's a shit load of it. hopefully rockstar have improved R.A.G.E to get over this.

Looks basically the same as my Xbox One X, I'm not expecting some dramatic departure here.
can your XB1X play the game at 4K 60hz?? nah didn't think so. quit the bullshit. the XB1X is too weak to run anywhere near the PC version.

the XB1X would probably overheat just loading a 4K image nevermind actually playing a game at that resolution.

if you think this looks basically the same then maybe go see a doctor.

Last edited:
can your XB1X play the game at 4K 60hz?? nah didn't think so. quit the bullshit. the XB1X is too weak to run anywhere near the PC version.

the XB1X would probably overheat just loading a 4K image nevermind actually playing a game at that resolution.

To be fair I think my GPU 980Ti is like lower spec than the One X is it not?

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
nope. a 980 ti is way more powerful than an XB1X :)

a 980 ti/1070 is about 6.5TF. the XB1X is only 6TF AND that's AMD TF's not Nvidia (don't get them confused). a 980 ti/1070 wipes the floor with these consoles. an XB1X is somewhere around an AMD 580

Last edited:

rəddəM

i'm excited but also cautious. the thing in GTA V that tanked performance most was the fucking grass. and in RDR2 there's a shit load of it. hopefully rockstar have improved R.A.G.E to get over this.

He meant the game still looks the same. No new effects, just improved the ones in consoles.
You need to chill PC Clients Race.
4K makes the game sharper and 60fps makes the game smoother, but it's still the same game.
XBox One X is native 4k BTW.

Last edited:

nani17

are in a big trouble
This is really how I feel, I want to double dip on day one but I feel like buying RDR2 a year from now is the real way to go.

I might get the steam version in January or February. At least by that time we'll definitely have a mod menu in the game.

Bro I have an xbox One X. Stop lying.
Who's lying? I'm not seeing some stark contrast to this... Could a few things be improved? Surely, but as basically noted originally I'm expecting one of the most diminished returns updates we've seen in a while. The jump from GTA V on console on Xbox One/PS4 was a pretty big jump, I'm not expecting a jump to that level, nothing I've seen yet has convinced me otherwise. About the only real difference I've seen are some higher grade environmental textures on a tree and a broken log. Maybe some additional LoD at distance? I don't know I'm just not seeing this massive uptick in presentation.

47858890731_802d948f7b_o.png

46810524735_734059f46e_o.png

40892275233_287eef246d_o.png

The 980 Ti is a tick above the GPU in the X (about 15%) however I assume on the X this is a highly optimized build with lower level hardware access and less bloat, and will be hard for the 980 Ti to contend with like for like in terms of settings and resolution. The X GPU is essentially an RX 580/980 with a larger memory bus and more available bandwidth. With that 980 Ti I assume you will have better results at 1440p.

Last edited:
I don't know I'm just not seeing this massive uptick in presentation.
Double the framerate is a massive uptick in presentation.
Also, AF is noticeably low in those pictures - it's not quite Nintendo Switch levels of AF but it's clearly not 16x. I expect other 'less noticeable' graphics options to also be taken care of in the PC version. Just wait for the comparisons next week.

Last edited:
Double the framerate is a massive uptick in presentation.
Also, AF is noticeably low in those pictures - it's not quite Nintendo Switch levels of AF but it's clearly not 16x. I suspect other 'less noticeable' (for console players, I guess) graphics options to be similarly taken care of in the PC version. Just wait for the comparisons next week.
Dude no one is talking about framerate, FPS doesn't change the visual presentation in a still. The texture filtering is definitely not trilinear either, it's probably 4x or 8x but that doesn't mean much because that's all just post.

I'm talking purely graphics, I'm not expecting a whole lot.

chaseroni

Bringing up framerate in regards to still images, lmao gtfo. It looks exactly the same as a still from X1X. Not that impressive.

Markie

The only thing i can think of is that 60 (or higher) fps alone (in other words, lower frametimes, aka less input lag) + mouse and keyboard will make this game feel completely different and much more enjoyable, specially on shootouts. That'll most likely be the biggest difference.

MiguelItUp

This.
I wanted so much to love this game.
It is not a bad game, it is not "not fun".
It just feels like a chore to play. Whoever decided to take away fast travel made the dumbest decision of all time.
It's an incredible game IMO, but like anything it's not going to be for everyone. It got high praise that I personally I felt that it was justified, but that doesn't meant it's going to be everyone's cup of tea.

Honestly, it's one of the few games where I almost prefer to not use fast travel because of everything going on in the world.

That being said, there were ways around fast travel that basically felt the same, and after awhile I forgot about it. Taking the train, carriages, etc.

Also, I feel like some of y'all don't want the PC version to look better than the console version or something, lmao.

sendit

Bringing up framerate in regards to still images, lmao gtfo. It looks exactly the same as a still from X1X. Not that impressive.

Agreed. I'd rather look at a pretty 8K picture versus playing a game at 4K/60 FPS. The game is basically a walking simulator.

Last edited:

Siri

Banned
4K makes the game sharper and 60fps makes the game smoother, but it's still the same game.

I’m hoping for more than 60 FPS on an RTX 2080 TI - and although it’s the same game, at that point the ‘experience’ of playing the game is much different.

D3SCHA1N

I'm still just hoping that the new weapons, bounties & hideouts content makes it's way to console versions....

rəddəM

I’m hoping for more than 60 FPS on an RTX 2080 TI - and although it’s the same game, at that point the ‘experience’ of playing the game is much different.
Sure thing, I'm not here to defend 30fps.
60+fps is smoother, better looking and more responsive with less input lag.
I'm just saying that the PC Clients Race don't need come and bash a very solid point just because PC is more powerful than consoles and they're fps maniacs.
I just hope 60fps is enough to correct the heavy controls and lag in this game.

thelastword

Banned
He meant the game still looks the same. No new effects, just improved the ones in consoles.
You need to chill PC Clients Race.
XBox One X is native 4k BTW.
The same can be said for all games...….From high spec PC to XBONES at the bottom and even Switch at the barrel's end, some of the improvements here will not make the XBONEX version look like Pong, but they should be significant...….I think higher rez effects, some better effects and of course twice the framerate is pretty significant, especially the latter....

This is what we know

"According to Rockstar, the PC version of Red Dead Redemption 2 will include increased draw distances, improved lighting and shadows, new grass and fur textures, and more."

Obviously when it launches we shall see the whole gamut of improvements and new graphical flourishes.......I'm sure PC vs Consoles will go under the knife.....At least I hope the best current version (relative to visuals) goes against 4k on PC......It will be very easy to see the differences since both versions will already be at top resolution quality...4k vs 4k....

Who's lying? I'm not seeing some stark contrast to this... Could a few things be improved? Surely, but as basically noted originally I'm expecting one of the most diminished returns updates we've seen in a while. The jump from GTA V on console on Xbox One/PS4 was a pretty big jump, I'm not expecting a jump to that level, nothing I've seen yet has convinced me otherwise. About the only real difference I've seen are some higher grade environmental textures on a tree and a broken log. Maybe some additional LoD at distance? I don't know I'm just not seeing this massive uptick in presentation.

47858890731_802d948f7b_o.png

46810524735_734059f46e_o.png

40892275233_287eef246d_o.png

The 980 Ti is a tick above the GPU in the X (about 15%) however I assume on the X this is a highly optimized build with lower level hardware access and less bloat, and will be hard for the 980 Ti to contend with like for like in terms of settings and resolution. The X GPU is essentially an RX 580/980 with a larger memory bus and more available bandwidth. With that 980 Ti I assume you will have better results at 1440p.

Oh I'm only on 2560 X 1080 so hopefully I can get some decent frames on RDR2.

Siri

Banned
So if you buy this game from, say, the Epic Store, you still end up downloading from Rockstar? Because the game is $20 cheaper at Epic. I can download right now even if I buy from Epic?

Lort

Banned
Aaaahhhhhh ... no way man the new screenshots also at 4k with the same rendering engine look waaaay different....

Oh ok yeah basically the “graphics” update will be slightly better lod and higher fps....

.....only for those with a gpu capable of 4k 60 on a modern game.

1080ti , 2070 or above to do that?

Top Bottom