• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Brand new Sony Japan Studio game - Panopticon (Trailer up, announcing May 21)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kusano123

Neo Member
The style of the graphics just screams God Eater 2 to me (Also the aspect of which seems like another monster hunting game).

Afrit

Theres also the hands uncovering in the dirt the Yugoslavian TM-RP6 anti-tank mine, which I had mentioned earlier in this thread.
nice catch, I couldn't figure that thing out.

typically, it will be used in this post-apocalyptic setting for a flashback.

Lazlo

Skimmed through previous pages comments but didn't see any mention of it... but did anyone else get the "In Time" vibe - Start life with 1,000,000 points or whatever and lose them doing stuff? At the end of the battle it looked like the guy's points were going down when he was healing her. If that's the mechanic then I wonder how long it's been in development...

Dammit.

First half of the trailer made me think this was gonna be a uniquely Japanese take on open-world Sci-Fi games like Deus Ex, Watch_Dogs, and Fallout (which is damn well something I've wanted for the longest time).
Then second half of the trailer kicks in and LOL JK, it's just another Monster Hunter clone. Not that I dislike Monster Hunter by any means, but damn if this genre isn't starting to get oversaturated by this point.

Skimmed through previous pages comments but didn't see any mention of it... but did anyone else get the "In Time" vibe - Start life with 1,000,000 points or whatever and lose them doing stuff? At the end of the battle it looked like the guy's points were going down when he was healing her. If that's the mechanic then I wonder how long it's been in development...

not really though as when the two prisoners get captured the numbers went up. I dont think its life points or w/e

Afrit

Dammit.

First half of the trailer made me think this was gonna be a uniquely Japanese take on open-world Sci-Fi games like Deus Ex, Watch_Dogs, and Fallout (which is damn well something I've wanted for the longest time).
Then second half of the trailer kicks in and LOL JK, it's just another Monster Hunter clone. Not that I dislike Monster Hunter by any means, but damn if this genre isn't starting to get oversaturated by this point.

He totally disagree, not enough co-op games.
uOo.jpg

Cha

Reminds me of the death clock in Devil Survivor as well as the Shinigami Eyes in Death Note.
Death Note x Shin Megami Tensei
x Death Note x Advent Children
I'm wondering if it IS actually tied to Death Note?

You have a character that looks like Light Yagami, you have criminals, you have that counter above their head... maybe those huge things are Shinigami or are tied to them?
Looks like God eater meets Death note.

Yep, all you have to do is place a book in that guys hand.....
aaaaand "PRESTO!!"
ibdQ1FUUdbHPoS.jpg

(though his hair style is different from side and back views).

After watching this trailer again, I think it's gonna be an action RPG rather than a Hunting Action type of game. Until the monster fight a lot of emphasis was placed on the people, control, and the law. Why would they need to show us so much of that if it was just a monster hunting game?
Though, even if it is, it seems like this game is gonna have a bit more depth than a typical hunting action game. Better not disappoint.

JaxJag

Banned
Why do Japanese games always gotta look so... ugh, Japanese I guess... Are there any JRPGs that doesn't have an anime art style?

Takao

Banned
Why do Japanese games always gotta look so... ugh, Japanese I guess... Are there any JRPGs that doesn't have an anime art style?

Depends on if you consider games like Monster Hunter, Soul Sacrifice, and Demon's Souls to be JRPGs. There's also niche stuff like Elminage. It's not too surprising since "anime" (which is a pretty generic descriptor) is what sells in the region, much akin to how realism is what sells video games in the west. Companies go after what they believe will make them money.

raven777

Demon's/Dark Souls, Dragon's Dogma. Not sure if they qualify as "JRPGs"

Matsuno's work like Tactics Ogre and FFXII look "less Japanese" I guess.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Demon's/Dark Souls, Dragon's Dogma. Not sure if they qualify as "JRPGs"

Matsuno's work like Tactics Ogre and FFXII look "less Japanese" I guess.

Its an RPG made in Japan. Therefore its a JRPG.

Seriously no easier explanation than that.

Takao

Banned
Pockett is saying this is a Vita release. I don't know where they got that from, but the site has a history with breaking accurate information.

Ok, just saw the trailer on IGN.

Holy shit this game looks awesome!

Was this that rumored game via Twitter? It starts with a "P" and looks like it could be played for "Many hours..."

Afrit

it's another monster hunting genre game. the new VITA CM confirms it.. the "OOOOOOO" means fill in the blanks.

PSO2
SS
Toukiden
RO Odyssey Ace
GE2
xxxx <- panopticon

That's quite possible but as someone mentioned earlier on the other thread
Panopticon would be &#12497;&#12494;&#12503;&#12486;&#12451;&#12467;&#12531;, which doesn't fit the nine characters/circles in
&#12295;&#12295;&#12295;&#12295;&#12295;&#12295;&#12295;&#12295;&#12295;

We can't roll it out either.

would be awesome if there's an alternative universe going on where people log in...something like Sword Arts online where a game developer made a completely new VR world and then trapped all the players inside to fight the final boss...

leroidys

Pockett is saying this is a Vita release. I don't know where they got that from, but the site has a history with breaking accurate information.

SCEJ seems pretty obsessed with the idea that if they can get a big coop game vita will finally take off. Having a more "adult" hunter game in Soul Sacrifice and then a shounen hunter game makes sense, assuming the assumptions about its genre are correct.

Soriku

That's quite possible but as someone mentioned earlier on the other thread
Panopticon would be &#12497;&#12494;&#12503;&#12486;&#12451;&#12467;&#12531;, which doesn't fit the nine characters/circles in
&#12295;&#12295;&#12295;&#12295;&#12295;&#12295;&#12295;&#12295;&#12295;

We can't roll it out either.

SCE trademarked Freedom Wars which does. That might be this game? Or is this game officially called Panopticon in Japan?

crinale

SCE trademarked Freedom Wars which does. That might be this game? Or is this game officially called Panopticon in Japan?

We don't know anything regarding the official title.
And yes, Freedom Wars (&#12501;&#12522;&#12540;&#12480;&#12512;&#12454;&#12457;&#12540;&#12474;) does fit into 9 characters thing...

Afrit

hmmm, I guess "Freedom Wars" as a title could match the settings of the trailers too-- a resistance group fighting the fierce rule of Panopticons for freedom.

Since both, Panopticon and Freedom Wars were trademarked separately...

My guess here, they are different games indeed or different genres but they happen in the same world and same settings. Perhaps in different time-line, one in the past while the other in the future, based on the transition scene at the beginning of the trailer and the flashbacks.
like I said in my second post in this thread, the gameplay could be different in a Vita version compared to the PS3 (or PS4) version. but both complement each other in a way like asymmetric gameplay/multiplayer concept.

OR, perhaps I'm reading too much into this xD

B.O.O.M

I guess a name like Freedom Wars fit better with the commercial and the poses the teacher is making

FOR FREEDOM! lol

AmanoBuff

Ahhh, I thought there were some news already. ;)

But yes, it should be up in about 5 hours. Unless they want to stretch it for a few more to take a tiny bit of attention from the MS conference. I'm really looking forward to know more about what kind of game this is exactly and which platform it will be on.

Kyon

Banned
Ahhh, I thought there were some news already. ;)

But yes, it should be up in about 5 hours. Unless they want to stretch it for a few more to take a tiny bit of attention from the MS conference. I'm really looking forward to know more about what kind of game this is exactly and which platform it will be on.

japan doesnt give any care about MS or xbox lol that conference will have no affect on game news in japan

AmanoBuff

japan doesnt give any care about MS or xbox lol that conference will have no affect on game news in japan

True enough, but if there is any kind of interest, whatever little it might be, this announcement will definitely work against it. It's hard to believe they chose the announcement date for this game at random.

This is quite a surprise, coming from Japan studios. I'm guessing this is part of the oh shit we don't have MH anymore panic and is a story heavy MH game designed to save the Vita.

Edit: Do Sony's promos really say "MH will never ever come to Vita?" Wow. This reminds me of SEGA's DC self aware despair commercials from Japan.

mao2

What on earth am I looking at?

This is quite a surprise, coming from Japan studios. I'm guessing this is part of the oh shit we don't have MH anymore panic and is a story heavy MH game designed to save the Vita.

Edit: Do Sony's promos really say "MH will never ever come to Vita?" Wow. This reminds me of SEGA's DC self aware despair commercials from Japan.

There's an add that says, buy 3DS? Where is it?
Just in case you guys misunderstood, those are edited pics. The real ones can be found below.
http://www.jp.playstation.com/cp/2013_psvita_kyoutou/teaser/

Terrell

So, wait.... Sony is actually advertising the Vita as a system full of MonHun clones? Even without the edited imagery?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom