• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Brave Neptunia gets censored on PS4, Switch uncensored

Shin

Banned
Gameplay images of Brave Neptunia have been shared around after the game released on PS4 in Japan on December 20th, 2018. The Japanese version on PS4 reveals more cloud and light effects to censor the cleavage of the females, while for all intents and purposes the Nintendo Switch version remains uncensored… for now.

The news popped up over on the PS4 sub-reddit, where it was promptly downvoted by the anti-loli enforcers. They feel as if the censorship happening to these games on PS4 is necessary and do not want people to be made aware of it.
In the thread, however, there’s a link to a livestream over on the NepGearYouTube channel. The stream features nearly six hours of the final part of Brave Neptunia. At the 5:29:14 mark there’s a CG image that reveals that the entire hot springs bath scene has been strongly censored on the PS4 with additional steam and light to cover up the girls’ naughty bits.

46413088381_32473c8c34_z.jpg

Credit: OneAngryGamer

The OneAngryGamer headline and the article's related information is misleading. There is currently no Switch version of the game. Yuusha Neptunia was only released in Japan on the PS4, while a Western release coming 2019 was announced for the PS4 and Switch.

What's being referenced as the unaltered Switch version of the hot springs scene is the promotional image offered as a preorder cloth-poster from the store Animate. The article also references another image being censored (of the character Vert playing video games); again, what's being called the unaltered image is a preorder postcard from the online store Chara-Ani.com.

While I've no desire to defend Sony, we don't actually know if the preorder items are how those images were always meant to be displayed in-game. For example, the article claims the Vert image was cropped, so her panties were no longer visible; however, this image remains unaltered in the game, after fears it was censored due the state of its appearance on the Japanese Playstation website.

Chances are, unless a Japanese Switch release is subsequently announced, we'll likely never know for certain whether there's been Sony interference, since I doubt Idea Factory/Compile Heart will make changes to a Western-exclusive Switch release.

Last edited:

Zambatoh

I like how Noire's boobs are completely censored out of existence while Vert's still has some mild cleavage. An apt metaphor considering who they represent.

Aurelian

my friends call me "Cunty"
Please look at JunkerWoland's post before you hop on the bandwagon, folks. This seems meant more to stir the outrage of easily-swayed gamers than a definitive pronouncement on what each version of the game will offer.

Vawn

Banned
Both of those images are censored. There's just a little more white steam on the PS4 version.

There's still plenty of underage-looking anime skin for you perverts to yank off to regardless of which platform you play on.

Last edited:

Vawn

Banned
Please look at JunkerWoland's post before you hop on the bandwagon, folks. This seems meant more to stir the outrage of easily-swayed gamers than a definitive pronouncement on what each version of the game will offer.

Seriously. The Internet needs conspiracies to outrage over that they'll manufacture them from nothing.

Zambatoh

No age was ever given, but Nep, Uzume, Noire, Vert and Blanc are the old hags of the group.
The rest are relatively young.

Both of those images are censored. There's just a little more white steam on the PS4 version.
You can only see the vagina bones in one of them.

There's still plenty of underage-looking anime skin for you perverts to yank off to regardless of which platform you play on.
Would you say there is a plethora of underage-looking anime skin for you perverts to yank off to?

Wings 嫩翼翻せ

so it's not nice
I'll not about to de-rail this thread... I get it. They're cartoons, it's "not perverted," it's my anime leemeelone, whatever (to whom it applies). I will bail in good faith.

I'm in my mid-forties, and I always thought one of the advantages of getting older would be people stop treating me like a child. But what I've found is, the older I get, the more people treat me like a child. I can't enjoy what I want, I can't eat what I want, I can't do what I want, I can't think what I want, and I can't be who I want. And yet, when it's time to change my diaper, none of these assholes are around to help.

My projection senses are tingling...

Mecha Meow

While I do like cute loli/moe anime stuff, I in no way get off on it nor have I ever yanked off to such shit. I'm not a fan of the naked scenes myself but eh, I don't mind that they're there either.

I have always hated censorship in games/anime/manga and people telling me what I can enjoy however.

That hasn't changed for me since the early 90s, nor will it ever.

Amazing. Another win for Sony.

Really don't care for any anime or shit like that. But censoring the devs original vision of the game no matter how offensive or whatever it is to someone, is lame af.

In the wise words of EA "Dont like it, dont buy it".

This censor garbage is going to make them lose 3rd party sales to other consoles.

I've invented an imaginary child. His name is Poquito and he is an eight year old little boy with cerebral palsy. Unfortunately for him, his imaginary well being depends entirely on video games no longer having walking simulators. You see, he was orphaned at a young age by a walking simulator, which did unspeakable acts to him, such as forcing him to walk great lengths while a disembodied voice droned on or forcing him to watch as it gave other kids piggyback rides while Poquito was forced to walk. Seeing the joy on the faces of the kids, knowing that he, himself, would never know such joy was too much for him. Poquito took his own imaginary life using a spatula of unreasonable size and heft.

Please, for the sake of other imaginary children like Poquito, we must not let his imaginary suffering go unheard. We must end the blight that is walking simulators from gaming forever, thus robbing game journalists of the only genre of games they can win. Surely, if we care about the well being of imaginary anime children, then we must also be moved to action by Poquito's memory.

Here lies Poquito. December 24, 2019 - December 24, 2019. Requiescat in pace.

bitbydeath

Probably the same reason why you, and many others, would be in here saying how terrible it was if it was Microsoft doing this, personal bias.

Eh, I’m not one to care/comment on what other companies do that doesn’t involve Sony in some manner.

At least not in a negative way.

Last edited:

CatCouch

They’re both censored, why is Sony the only one being called out for it?
Sony is being called out because they now require developers to edit their games beyond previously understood regulations all consoles have been following. Unlike most of the past, Sony has stricter policies for what can release on their platform than their competitors and, frustratingly, those policies have not been made public. I can think of a few examples of similar happening before, namely Sony censoring nudity in BMX XXX (Gamecube/Xbox versions are unedited) and Microsoft requiring camera changes for Gal*Gun on the 360 (PS3 version is unedited). Those were individual games, though, not a whole platform restriction. Sony has required editing for quite a few games now, some of which are available uncensored on PC and the Switch.

Nintendo did similar in the 90's before we had rating systems but have not touched 3rd party games since, IIRC. There have been localization changes that amount to censorship in many's eyes but Sony requires these changes world-wide. Pretty big difference, there is no import option now.

For me Sony has reduced the value of their console since these games are a big selling point to me, perhaps even the main selling point as they inspire my own art. Yes, people do love these games and they are heavily based on sexy and ecchi art(defined as slang for "playfully sexual actions" by wikipedia) so censoring them is an issue. Even Nintendo stopped doing this with western localization's of games recently. I'm not sure what Sony is hoping to achieve here, honestly.

This is all probably obvious stuff but I still want to write it down for any who don't follow Japanese game news! Feel free to correct anything I may have wrong~

bitbydeath

Sony is being called out because they now require developers to edit their games beyond previously understood regulations all consoles have been following. Unlike most of the past, Sony has stricter policies for what can release on their platform than their competitors and, frustratingly, those policies have not been made public. I can think of a few examples of similar happening before, namely Sony censoring nudity in BMX XXX (Gamecube/Xbox versions are unedited) and Microsoft requiring camera changes for Gal*Gun on the 360 (PS3 version is unedited). Those were individual games, though, not a whole platform restriction. Sony has required editing for quite a few games now, some of which are available uncensored on PC and the Switch.

Nintendo did similar in the 90's before we had rating systems but have not touched 3rd party games since, IIRC. There have been localization changes that amount to censorship in many's eyes but Sony requires these changes world-wide. Pretty big difference, there is no import option now.

For me Sony has reduced the value of their console since these games are a big selling point to me, perhaps even the main selling point as they inspire my own art. Yes, people do love these games and they are heavily based on sexy and ecchi art(defined as slang for "playfully sexual actions" by wikipedia) so censoring them is an issue. Even Nintendo stopped doing this with western localization's of games recently. I'm not sure what Sony is hoping to achieve here, honestly.

This is all probably obvious stuff but I still want to write it down for any who don't follow Japanese game news! Feel free to correct anything I may have wrong~

Sure, but in this case they are both censored and neither show nudity.

CatCouch

Sure, but in this case they are both censored and neither show nudity.
Not really. The original art shown never had a nude version so it's not censored. If Sony required them to put more steam in then I consider than censorship. Drawing a picture with implied nudity doesn't mean it was censored if that was the original intent.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
The freedom of expression hill? Anytime.

Yes that hill. Sony isn't making it illegal for the game to come out uncensored world-wide and on all platforms. Just their platform. It's okay that you don't like that "form" of censorship, but I'd rather give corporations that "right" to censor what they want to censor on THEIR console.

Yes that hill. Sony isn't making it illegal for the game to come out uncensored world-wide and on all platforms. Just their platform.
Yes, for now we see the multiplats on other platforms with no censorship, but who's to say that Sony doesn't cook up some contract saying "absolute parity of all version if you want to release on our console!"

It wouldn't be unheard of
https://www.neogaf.com/threads/microsoft-supposedly-forced-parity-on-division-1.1465458/

So, yeah. If the market leader implements some bullshit policies to censor games for their platform, everyone should be at least a little worried about the implications that might have on a wider scale.

Kdad

The freedom of expression hill? Anytime.

The creators of the game are free to express themselves all they want (within the legal paramters of whatever country they are distributing in). SONY is under no obligation to provide a platform for that expression. This isn't hard.

Last edited:

Meh3D

Looked at the source and now I see why OP posted the source at the very bottom. I did not have to read the second post to figure out it’s a terrible article from a questionable source. It reads like a random forum post and a terrible one at that. Still, if this was written better, it could definite fool people had it not been for JunkerWolans coming in just time.

The OneAngryGamer headline and the article's related information is misleading. There is currently no Switch version of the game. Yuusha Neptunia was only released in Japan on the PS4, while a Western release coming 2019 was announced for the PS4 and Switch.

What's being referenced as the unaltered Switch version of the hot springs scene is the promotional image offered as a preorder cloth-poster from the store Animate. The article also references another image being censored (of the character Vert playing video games); again, what's being called the unaltered image is a preorder postcard from the online store Chara-Ani.com.

While I've no desire to defend Sony, we don't actually know if the preorder items are how those images were always meant to be displayed in-game. For example, the article claims the Vert image was cropped, so her panties were no longer visible; however, this image remains unaltered in the game, after fears it was censored due the state of its appearance on the Japanese Playstation website.

Chances are, unless a Japanese Switch release is subsequently announced, we'll likely never know for certain whether there's been Sony interference, since I doubt Idea Factory/Compile Heart will make changes to a Western-exclusive Switch release.

Last edited:

Ulysses 31

Yes that hill. Sony isn't making it illegal for the game to come out uncensored world-wide and on all platforms. Just their platform. It's okay that you don't like that "form" of censorship, but I'd rather give corporations that "right" to censor what they want to censor on THEIR console.
I was seeing it more as calling Sony prudes than as an issue of that Sony should be forced to publish certain content. I support the right to gate keep what you allow in your private domain up to a point where it becomes detrimental to society.

The creators of the game are free to express themselves all they want (within the legal paramters of whatever country they are distributing in). SONY is under no obligation to provide a platform for that expression. This isn't hard.
It depends on whether Sony had an agreement with these companies before, then changed the agreement later. Like if something like Senran Kagura was created for the PS4 using standards that previous games did, then was told a month before release to remove a feature due to new standards. That’d be pretty fucked up, right? Or a game being RELEASED in China, then forcing them to update the game with a patch to remove a feature after launch that ended up making the game unwinnable. It could happen.

In the future, fan service games will avoid releasing on the PS4 completely, but for now, games are being censored too late in their development to jump ship.

Last edited:

Aurelian

I was seeing it more as calling Sony prudes than as an issue of that Sony should be forced to publish certain content. I support the right to gate keep what you allow in your private domain up to a point where it becomes detrimental to society.

If you'd paid attention earlier in the thread it's not actually clear that Sony is demanding the game be toned down in the first place. It's a sensationalist piece based on dodgy interpretations.

And whether it is or not, I don't think Sony would be prudish to suggest that hey, maybe you shouldn't include sexualized images of girls that appear underage. I know the anime world blurs the line on ages a bit, but they sure don't look like adults to me.

Ulysses 31

If you'd paid attention earlier in the thread it's not actually clear that Sony is demanding the game be toned down in the first place. It's a sensationalist piece based on dodgy interpretations.
It's not a stretch to assume that if only the PS4 version gets additional censorship compared to other versions. And by now there's plenty of examples of PS4 versions getting censored the most of all multiplat versions.

Kdad

It depends on whether Sony had an agreement with these companies before, then changed the agreement later. Like if something like Senran Kagura was created for the PS4 using standards that previous games did, then was told a month before release to remove a feature due to new standards. That’d be pretty fucked up, right? Or a game being RELEASED in China, then forcing them to update the game with a patch to remove a feature after launch that ended up making the game unwinnable. It could happen.

In the future, fan service games will avoid releasing on the PS4 completely, but for now, games are being censored too late in their development to jump ship.

And it is still a private issue between two companies....it isn't "censorship!!!OMFGBBQ". If your local store doesn't carry the canned peaches you like...you go to a different store.

Aurelian

It's not a stretch to assume that if only the PS4 version gets additional censorship compared to other versions. And by now there's plenty of examples of PS4 versions getting censored the most of all multiplat versions.

It's not a stretch, but you don't know that's the case here. That's the point. You're acting as if it's a done deal when you're really just being frothed into an outrage by OAG.

And it is still a private issue between two companies....it isn't "censorship!!!OMFGBBQ". If your local store doesn't carry the canned peaches you like...you go to a different store.
I'm getting a little sick of being lectured on censorship by people who obviously don't have a god damn clue what censorship is. Now, it's my turn to lecture you. A private issue between two companies is still "censorship!!!OMFGBBQ" because private companies can still censor each other, and a store not carrying canned peaches is a fucking different issue than the store forcing the canned peaches to replace the peaches with ham if they want to be carried by the store. The fact that you don't realize this means... you know what? Fuck it.

I don't demand that everybody I discuss censorship with be a constitutional scholar, but I can not stand people who revel in ignorance while trying to shame everybody else. If you want to join a conversation at the adult table, you need to put your big boy pants on. You need to bring something better than trite platitudes and shame if you want to join this conversation. That kind of shit ruined NeoGAF once before. Let's not go down that road again.

Top Bottom