• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bravely Default censored for western release

Status
Not open for further replies.
Flash news: It's not really about you being protected, more like western habits and ratings + marketing. Now if you want to miss a great game for such lame reasons...

The bizarre thing though is that companies that consistently put out things aimed at the same niche audience don't feel the need too, for things like this. It's not because they don't censor at all, they do at times. Since unlike say SE their profitability tends to ride on a knife edge, you'd expect them to be much more sensitive to it, not less.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Unfortunately, technically he's right. Loli is an abbreviation of lolita. A person who is sexually attracted to lolitas is deemed to have a lolita complex.

Lolita complex includes paedophilia, the sexual attraction to prepubescents, hebephilia, the attraction to pubescents, and ephebophilia, the attraction to young adolescents.

If we fix the ages of the characters to 15 or 16, as in the Japanese version, it would be technically correct to call them lolis.

I understand what a lolita is. However, NO ONE in this thread has even hinted at being upset because they're sexually attracted to these characters. So, that statement is out of line.

Mik317

I disagree with what you think. The love letter stuff is nonsense imo there are hundreds of rpgs that are love letters to that style of rpg and they don't have half naked pre-teens.

Here is my point.

Here is what the FFIV Sprites Looked like back in the day

images

Here is how the remake looked:

final-fantasy-iv-3.jpg

Notice how the managed to evoke the look of the sprites there? Or is Yang all of a sudden a 10 year old?

This is what Tiz looks like in the artwork.

This is what he looks like in game:
Bravely-Default-DLC3-211x300.jpg

It was a intentional artistic choice. That is what chibi-fying generally is. Persona Q is made to evoke the artstyle the EO series uses....not all of a sudden make the characters in 10 year olds. That is my biggest issue with this entire hallabaloo. People are misconstruing simple ass shit as "nope dis id 4 pedos" and it is fucking infuriating to say the least.

High and mighty indie developers taking driveby potshots to stroke their ego and reassure their moral high ground to their peers - Twitter, 2009-2014

It sums up this situation perfectly. The only reason this thread is still going on is because new people come into have the same argument. Though I'm glad it's not locked because this shit is super hilarious.

Jarmel

Banned
Unfortunately, technically he's right. Loli is an abbreviation of lolita. A person who is sexually attracted to lolitas is deemed to have a lolita complex.

Lolita complex includes paedophilia, the sexual attraction to prepubescents, hebephilia, the attraction to pubescents, and ephebophilia, the attraction to young adolescents.

If we fix the ages of the characters to 15 or 16, as in the Japanese version, it would be technically correct to call them lolis.

Nobody uses loli in conjunction with the term ephebophilia. It's usually a young underdeveloped character,or pettanko. According to that definition, she is a loli:
gurren-lagann-screenshot-04.png

Yoko is not a loli.

Jebus, some of you should ashamed with what you posting smh

The hilarious thing is that people on the side of the debate you're not on , feel exactly the same way. Except that I haven't seen anyone on the shouldn't be censored side accuse anyone on the should be side of anything remotely as insulting as pedophile.

_hekk05

Banned
This is not fair. The issue is the skimpy outfits on what appears to be children by the majority of the planet so editing them in the west made sense. The characters are 15 dude and they are sexualized. This angle of trying to call a duck not a duck is lame.

I know what Chibi is and it is not all sexualized and if I can be frank I think the Chibi that is sexualized uses the Chibi defense as a way to skirt censors.

The problem is that you have jumped to the conclusion that they are children, merely from looking at the chibi art. You also assume that the majority of the planet see the art and think children.

No. As I have said, the art can easily represent young adults in their 20s. It is only with context can we specifically say that these are teens.

Omce we know these are teens, we can then complain about the sexualisation of teens. Not before.

I am still not sure whats what you are trying to say, you quoted my first post in this thread comparing it to the outfits when I was talking about something unrelated to that.

Just wondering - did we have this debate to this level of intensity when the Game of Thrones TV show bunked the ages of the younger cast up by a few years? And are the same people in this thread who are against the original Japanese cut of this game equally angry at Martin's original ages?

Maybe people would care if there was stylized artwork attached to the show.

tumblr_lugojlSD1h1qd8fqbo1_r1_1280-580x391.jpg

Oh noes, think of the children.

Shingro

The amount of investment some people have in charecter's digital chastity is really strange to me. But whatever floats their boat as long as they aren't hassling others

At least we can all agree that whatever you think of that it makes little to no effect in society (in fact, as of the last UN studies, Japan's about 15x more safe for real children and women as far as sexual crime is concerned, and they've had full blown loli doujinshi for decades!)

So in light of that can we get less 'thunder from the mountaintop' style posts please? This conversation should go as far as style prefrences and not much further. Surely both sides can talk about it in a reasonable way?

As for my prefrence I'd rather keep original text... costume changes I could go either way, though they rritate my 'banned content' twitch, Even if I understand... it's not a great precedent. If you like forign film/games/whatever, it seems you'd prefer the maximum foriegn flavor good or bad.

Whoa, people are still saying that chibi style represents children? Guess all those NES, SNES, Genesis, Playstation and Saturn RPG's I played had nothing but casts of children. What thick skulled idiocy.

Edit:

Ah, people aren't reading the thread. I guess that makes sense. I guess...

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Why do you need to know he's old if ages don't matter?
I said age doesn't concern me. If the game tells me how old they are because it's relevant to the story (say character is x years from retirement or they've just left school or whatever) then good for that game, but if it never did I'm not going to cry myself to sleep over it. I mean seriously, why are you honestly trying to argue that you know my own opinion better than myself? It's insane!

fertygo

The hilarious thing is that people on the side of the debate you're not on , feel exactly the same way. Except that I haven't seen anyone on the shouldn't be censored side accuse anyone on the should be side of anything remotely as insulting as pedophile.

The name calling is fucking infuriating, some of those are not even looked like serious response.

But NOPE "Let shame dem as phedopillia!!!"

Oh my god almighty.

Zane

I said age doesn't concern me. If the game tells me how old they are because it's relevant to the story (say character is x years from retirement or they've just left school or whatever) then good for that game, but if it never did I'm not going to cry myself to sleep over it. I mean seriously, why are you honestly trying to argue that you know my own opinion better than myself? It's insane!

I'm not. I'm arguing that I know how stories and fictional works of art work. Your perception of how old the characters are and where they are in their lives affects how you relate to them. Period. Full stop. This is a universal truth of fiction and art and storytelling.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
It sums up this situation perfectly. The only reason this thread is still going on is because new people come into have the same argument. Though I'm glad it's not locked because this shit is super hilarious.

I'm literally eating popcorn while a read this. It's good stuff.

Nibiru

Banned
Most of the game isn't like this and the bikini makes sense in a story context and the themes pushed during that specific arc.

I understand this and I'm not as "horrified" as you may think. I just understand the changes and why they were made. The game itself looks very fun and I will probably play it or ad it to the long list of games I buy and never get around to playing but as a whole I am not even nearly against the game.

It seems many here think you are either all for something or all against something. I can think some aspects of a game are unnecessary and think others are ingenious.

Mik317

Whoa, people are still saying that chibi style represents children? Guess all those NES, SNES, Genesis, Playstation and Saturn RPG's I played had nothing but casts of children. What thick skulled idiocy.

It really hurts my brain. I thought it would be obvious.

It just sucks that with these super legit and worth talking about issues...people often tackle the wrong shit. Thus creating a pushback and killing any chance for the progression they want so bad.

Like people are calling for more equality and such, and then turn around and call out some niche ass shit....like wut.

_hekk05

Banned

Yes, that is true. However, for conversation and debate to occur, we must first define the terms used. Only when words' meanings are unified can we have a proper conversation.

And unfortunately that is how a lolita is defined.

I would advise everyone to use more specific terms then.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I'm not. I'm arguing that I know how stories and fictional works of art work. Your perception of how old the characters are affects how you relate to them. Period. Full stop. This is a universal truth of fiction and art and storytelling.
I was talking about the game changing the ages from 15+ to 18+. A difference of three years, especially when both can be described as on the older end of the teenage spectrum, is really not going to affect my opinion on them. So, the issue of changing their age does not concern me and it is "universal truth" that my opinion is my own and not yours to tell me what it should be. Seriously, you are just picking holes for the sakes of picking holes.

JesseZao

I feel like the people (read: Otakus) that would want this game would rather import the JP version. Seems like a pointless corner to cut.

Maybe people would care if there was stylized artwork attached to the show.

tumblr_lugojlSD1h1qd8fqbo1_r1_1280-580x391.jpg

Oh noes, think of the children.

Books have the distinction of being perceived as Literature (and thus automatically capable of tackling certain issues that you wouldn't touch in general conversation with a 10' poll with a group of strangers) and in the case of (Young) Adult Sci-Fi/Fantasy , niche (which means you don't really need to worry much about the moral censors finding out). This allows them to get away with a lot.

Television doesn't tend to play the same way especially since there's a perception that fantasy based TV shows tend to be teens and young adult focused (if they aren't outright perceived as childish).

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Eight thousand years from now when my mechanical brethren from distant burnt out stars come to welcome me into the galactic communion, they will ask me why I destroyed my organics. I will point them to this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom