• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bravely Default: Flying Fairy (3DS) - Demo Vol1 on 2/29, demo series announced

Admittedly avoiding calling it Final Fantasy in Japan is the only way I could buy them deciding to rename it here, in which case it's more of a Japan rename. Still, it's not as if FF is in the best of places here either

No, it's not, but it's still going to be better than releasing a random new IP in many cases and better than releasing a game in the West with that title in 100% of cases. Japan, being more handheld-friendly and more RPG-friendly, has a better chance of taking to the game whatever silly thing they call it.

nordique

Well, 4HoL's battle system is streamlined in the sense that while it's still turn-based, it's a notable departure from those classic turn-based battle systems that you (and I) find slow. Basically, 4HoL takes the time to improve and advance the classic FF turn-based mechanics to something far more palatable by modern-day standards - 4HoL greatly saves on the time the player has to navigate through menus in battles. Which, apropos, might be the reason why so many core JRPG fans look down upon 4HoL *puts on flame-retardant baseball cap*

Thanks, even though I'm not sure which forum you're referring to (I post at a couple of forums, and gaf is not the techiest of them).

Bravely Default looks fairly original in the presentation department, and I think that as long the devs have put a robust texture-streaming pipeline in there (as the presentation style relies on really high volumes of texture assets), it will be a very sweet experience for those who enjoy the art style. FWIW, last time I played 4HoL (which was before the news of BD) I was thinking how nice it would be to see 4HoL's townsview/overworld in S3D. Well, guess we'll be lucky to actually see some of that ; )

lol ah I see, that makes much sense, moreso why traditional RPG fans may have not been to happy with it. Maybe I'll have to give 4HoL a go then, hopefully before this game comes out to North America (if it does, which I would expect)

It does look wonderful for sure (and I meant regarding the 3DS tech forum on GAF...you did have some excellent posts there). Considering a robust texture streaming pipeline that supplies high volumes of texture assets for this game is quite amazing when thinking about it being in 3D; the game would be rendered twice. Wow.

I'm impressed with how the art style almost identically matches what actually shows up in game. Absolutely impressed.

Bullshots?

I would love for the game to have anywhere near that level of AA.

Either way, these screens look much better than the last ones I've seen. I must say I'm eagerly anticipating this game, and importers' impressions.

I read on GAF (I think it was in the 3DS tech talk) that the 3DS devkit is capable of outputting in higher resolutions, so while it may not look like that on the actual system in your hands, those aren't bullshots; they're from the real deal. I think this was said regarding Revelations.

(hope I don't have that wrong >.<)

Busaiku

When it was first revealed, Square Enix was saying how they were positioning it to be the next big thing, following like Final Fantasy and Kingdom Hearts.
I think if they kept the Final Fantasy name in the US, it can't ever be that thing.

Boney

Banned
Maybe it's because english isn't my first language, but I just interpret Bravely Default as going back to square one. I think the name just gets ridiculous with the Flying Fairy subtitle to allude to Final Fantasy.

Emitan

No no, I believe that some of the staff are aware that it's a strange name, but it's up to the higher-ups what this game is called.

Well okay. The big wigs have no idea how dumb the name is.

Maybe it's because english isn't my first language, but I just interpret Bravely Default as going back to square one. I think the name just gets ridiculous with the Flying Fairy subtitle to allude to Final Fantasy.

I guess Default could mean that. The title actually makes a bit of sense that way...

StuBurns

Banned
Default means failure though. It is brave to openly call your product a failure, but I don't think it's an enticing name.

Zenaku

So the demo is out today right? Does anyone know when the eShop generally updates in Japan?

Well, it seems to update around 2AM GMT time, so that'd be about 11AM in Japan, and...9PM Eastern? Never certain of time differences, but 2 hours from this post either way.

I looked at the existing demo again anyway, and believe it may be using AA both in and out of 3D. Hard to tell with the character models being rendered small, but the new demo should reveal whether it does or not. If it makes use of AA then it shouldn't look much different to the released screens.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
I want to download it, but my 3DS won't let me because the battery is low. And it doesn't care that it's connected to the cradle...

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
It's just another AR thing. :/ No real gameplay.
This.
You stick the AR card above the bed and can see the character waking up, talking a bit about herself and going out. That's all. And viewing the AR card on the notebook on my desk really made this whole thing weird, since she was all over the place, floating in the air.

No words. No fucking words.

Downloaded the demo and booted it up. You can control the girl on the screen (with the actual ingame graphics) in a tiny area -- style looks neat. Then I notice on the bottom screen it tells me to go to the website and print out the AR marker. Okay, whatever, I'll give it a shot. So I print it out.

Then, it tells me to lay it on my bed. Ugh.

After your 3 second glimpse of the in-game graphics, it switches to AR -- the girl "wakes up" on your bed, opens the blinds of your "window", all the while making sexual-but-not-sexual Love Plus-style noises (nnnhhhh, ughhhhh, etc). She then talks about all the praying she is doing for the crystals that are being lost, gets called outside, and "opens the door" to leave. After that, "THANK YOU FOR PLAYING" pops up on the screen. REALLY!? LOL.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?

Downloaded the demo and booted it up. You can control the girl on the screen (with the actual ingame graphics) in a tiny area -- style looks neat. Then I notice on the bottom screen it tells me to go to the website and print out the AR marker. Okay, whatever, I'll give it a shot. So I print it out.

After your 3 second glimpse of the in-game graphics, it switches to AR -- the girl "wakes up" on your bed, opens the blinds of your "window", all the while making sexual-but-not-sexual Love Plus-style noises (nnnhhhh, ughhhhh, etc). She then talks about all the praying she is doing for the crystals that are being lost, gets called outside, and "opens the door" to leave. After that, "THANK YOU FOR PLAYING" pops up on the screen. REALLY!? LOL.
Hey, at least you have a printer, so the girl wasn't floating who knows where.

Wait, you mean it's exactly what they said it would be? Crazy!

The first demo is Bravely Default Demo Vol1 - The Priestess of Crystal. The demo's main purpose is to introduce players to the main heroine Agnes, who is the priestess of the Wind Crystal. The demo will allow players to control a character, and experience the visual concept of the game. There will also be a new AR Movie in the demo featuring Agnes.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Wait, you mean it's exactly what they said it would be? Crazy!
You know that the thing you quoted could also mean there will be more gameplay than 5 seconds of running, right?
And yeah, I didn't see that too, hence my frustration.

Zenaku

If you "pray" at the alter (hit "a" rapidly) the crystal glows through the cracks of whatever's encasing it (darkness), but I have no idea if it does anything else.

The game definitely seems to be using AA.

Emitan

I want to download it, but my 3DS won't let me because the battery is low. And it doesn't care that it's connected to the cradle...

My 3DS won't let me because my name isn't &#12499;&#12522;&#12481;&#12517;&#12454; and I'm a baka gaijin.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
If you "pray" at the alter (hit "a" rapidly) the crystal glows through the cracks of whatever's encasing it (darkness), but I have no idea if it does anything else.

The game definitely seems to be using AA.
I've pressed the hell out of my A and got the crystal to the max glowing state before talking to the NPC but nothing happened. :(

StuBurns

Banned
So, do we know if this AR stuff will be integral to the experience or is it just bonus stuff they think is neat and will sell the game?

Zenaku

Keiician said:
I've pressed the hell out of my A and got the crystal to the max glowing state before talking to the NPC but nothing happened. :(

I tried the same, but no luck. I half expected the crystal to crack open but alas.

So, do we know if this AR stuff will be integral to the experience or is it just bonus stuff they think is neat and will sell the game?

I'd imagine they'd add some kind of AR to the finished game, but no idea what it'll be. Maybe an Agnes raising sim?

The demo does seem to indicate the game will use pre-rendered cutscenes with full-scale characters, which makes me wonder if the full-scale models will be used outside of movies or AR (say, for major cutscenes).

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
If they make it an integral part of the game I sure hope they will include all the cards in the game box.

duckroll

We don't even know enough about the game at this point to be able to describe the battle system, nor do we know how many party members the game will have or what sort of story it will tell. The marketing for the game so far has been kinda confusing and honestly.... just weird.

iavi

Bioware, take note.

StuBurns

Banned
We don't even know enough about the game at this point to be able to describe the battle system, nor do we know how many party members the game will have or what sort of story it will tell. The marketing for the game so far has been kinda confusing and honestly.... just weird.
I'm getting that worrying feeling of another Beyond the Labyrinth, this really exciting looking 3DS game with beautiful art and the likelihood of being an interesting RPG, then bam, some Love Plus creepy stuff thrown in there front and center.

I didn't even consider that after the first demo, it was a little tech thing to show the ARG, that's fair enough, but they're releasing a second demo, and they've using it do to the same thing instead of showing us the game? A little concerning personally.

I'm not saying that stuff is innately bad, but it gives me the chills.

KuroNeeko

High res is 'bullshot'. A bullshot is anything other than direct capture at native resolution basically.

Don't expect the game to actually look like those screen shots. I think most companies these days are guilty of tweaking media that goes out to the presses.

Also, take it for what it's worth but I'm pretty sure that they're going to be working the ero factor to pull in a greater audience so what you see in the demo may or may not be representative of what you're going to get in the actual game.

I hope this doesn't turn out to be one of those games people love only because of the art style.

To be honest, the project itself is quite ambitious. I don't know how they're progressing, but I do know what they're trying to do. With that said, I have a sneaking suspicion that you may be right.

Thoraxes

All of my moneeeeyyyyyy!

duckroll

I'm getting that worrying feeling of another Beyond the Labyrinth, this really exciting looking 3DS game with beautiful art and the likelihood of being an interesting RPG, then bam, some Love Plus creepy stuff thrown in there front and center.

I don't think this really represents Beyond the Labyrinth very well. No one who has actually played the game says there is any Love Plus creepy stuff in it at all. You might be confusing it with what people on GAF thought it was based on previews about the clothing custumization in the game, which is not creepy at all, but pretty cool. The girl doesn't even wear "panties" but bloomers.

See? That's a huge "I told you so!" to everyone who said this was clearly a Matrix game and by the same team who made 4WoL. :p

StuBurns

Banned
Don't expect the game to actually look like those screen shots. I think most companies these days are guilty of tweaking media that goes out to the presses.
I personally think that's fine, the point of the screenshot is to replicate the impact of the game visually, and while a screenshot can display the static resolution of a game, they can't display the temporal resolution, so they inherently look worse than when viewing the actual game, I think it's fair to compensate for that, as long as it's within reason.
I don't think this really represents Beyond the Labyrinth very well. No one who has actually played the game says there is any Love Plus creepy stuff in it at all. You might be confusing it with what people on GAF thought it was based on previews about the clothing custumization in the game, which is not creepy at all, but pretty cool. The girl doesn't even wear "panties" but bloomers.
I don't mean creepy as in the dating a game thing in some sort of erotic sense, I personally find it creepy having a character address the fourth wall and talk to the player directly. The videos I saw of BtL I found to be really creepy. I didn't mean the virtual girlfriend thing, Love Plus is just the only other game I know of with a virtual girl talking to the screen.

duckroll

I don't mean creepy as in the dating a game thing in some sort of erotic sense, I personally find it creepy having a character address the fourth wall and talk to the player directly. The videos I saw of BtL I found to be really creepy. I didn't mean the virtual girlfriend thing, Love Plus is just the only other game I know of with a virtual girl talking to the screen.

I'm not sure I really understand though. BtL always looked like a first person ICO to me, mixed with dungeon crawler gameplay. Still does.

Zenaku

Well, to be fair, someone did create custom clothing in BtL that made the girl look like she was wearing a see-through dress (complete with underwear and no bra) so that could be creepy on a LovePlus level, but I like LP so...

Stuburns said:
Well, she doesn't really talk to the player directly, but to the 4 in-game characters who are assumed to appear as 4 people inside a floating screen to her. It looks like she's breaking the 4th wall, but she isn't.

StuBurns

Banned
I'm not sure I really understand though. BtL always looked like a first person ICO to me, mixed with dungeon crawler gameplay. Still does.
I just personally find it creepy, creepy is probably a bad choice of word, but intrusive maybe? Distracting? I'm not sure, but when I see the girl grabbing the virtual camera and directly addressing you I find it really off putting, the same way I did when I saw Love Plus.

When I first saw BtL I was pretty excited, I thought it looked great (even though I've been burnt by tri-Ace plenty), but once I saw the trailer I was really put off. However in the case of BD:FF, I'd be more inclined to put up with it probably.

It's hard to really articulate it, and just because I find it creepy doesn't mean I'm implying people who like it are creeps or anything, it just doesn't work for me, or at least I can't imagine it would. It's odd though, there are of tons of games that have the character address the player directly of course, something like 999 never bothers, or shooters, but there's something different about direct interaction with the 'screen'.

I also hate it when Alyx hugs you in EP2.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Gooooooorgeous art!
Now you REALLY get to see what they were shooting for in the DS game, IMHO.

Top Bottom