• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bravely Default: Flying Fairy (3DS) - Demo Vol1 on 2/29, demo series announced

duckroll

http://game.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/news/20120227_514896.html

On Feb 29, Square Enix will be releasing the first in a series of Bravely Default free demos on the 3DS eShop. The first demo is Bravely Default Demo Vol1 - The Priestess of Crystal. The demo's main purpose is to introduce players to the main heroine Agnes, who is the priestess of the Wind Crystal. The demo will allow players to control a character, and experience the visual concept of the game. There will also be a new AR Movie in the demo featuring Agnes.

This is the first in the Bravely Default Demo series. Square Enix intends to continue releasing more free demos for the game to continue to introduce players to the game's world, gameplay systems, and unannounced characters leading up to the eventual release of the game.

To fully utilize the AR Movie in the demo, players will need to download the demo from the eShop and also use the AR Marker provided for free on the official site.

Some new official screens:

bdff02.jpg

bdff03.jpg

bdff04.jpg

bdff05.jpg

Snakeyes

Looks a lot like Wind Waker, which is a good thing. I don't recall the models having that distinctive art style in the earlier pics.

Eusis

I hope these demos make it over to the states. >.<
I hope the US gets it period. I'm feeling kind of paranoid about this and SE on a whole lately, especially since it doesn't have the Final Fantasy name to protect its chances like with 4HoL.

I'll probably have to take a raincheck on the demo for a couple of weeks, but I'm definitely getting it in March. Those native resolution images are very pleasing aesthetically.

CorvoSol

This is Square Enix teasing you with the possibility that they still know how to make a good RPG. They'll just wait forever to announce a Localization for it. I'm still hoping they out and out say it's a 4 Heroes of Light game. That's one of my favorite FFs in recent memory.

@MUWANdo

Banned
I'm still hoping they out and out say it's a 4 Heroes of Light game. That's one of my favorite FFs in recent memory.

It's the same team, the same art style, the same composer (I think?), but does it use the same gameplay system? Do we actually know how it plays yet? I get the impression it's not going for the same "modern retro" approach.

leroidys

It's the same team, the same art style, the same composer (I think?), but does it use the same gameplay system? Do we actually know how it plays yet? I get the impression isn't not going for the same "modern retro" approach.

Yeah, I hope it has something good though. One of the best things about 4WoL is that it went with an oldschool job system.

duckroll

It's the same team, the same art style, the same composer (I think?), but does it use the same gameplay system? Do we actually know how it plays yet? I get the impression isn't not going for the same "modern retro" approach.

How do you know it's the same team and the same composer? They haven't announced anything about that at all. In fact, the producer seems to have suggested the opposite. So far only the character artist is the same.

@MUWANdo

Banned
How do you know it's the same team and the same composer? They haven't announced anything about that at all. In fact, the producer seems to have suggested the opposite. So far only the character artist is the same.

Like I said, I'm not sure about the composer--I could have just assumed that--but didn't they already confirm it's a Matrix game?

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
The prospects of this game make me wish I could read Japanese.

leroidys

Cant wait to see and hear demo impressions in a few days.. anyways, I really hope this gets a speedy NA release!

I remember the majority being very down on the chances of 4WoL coming over, and it did end up having a very late announcement. I hope that they chose to bring this one over as well, and I would not be surprised if they kept the "Final Fantasy" naming convention of its predecessor for western release. Even if the name didn't sound completely nonsensical to native English speakers, I would expect them to slap final fantasy on there somewhere.

Takao

Banned
I hope the US gets it period. I'm feeling kind of paranoid about this and SE on a whole lately, especially since it doesn't have the Final Fantasy name to protect its chances like with 4HoL.

Final Fantasy Dimensions

Believe

I remember the majority being very down on the chances of 4WoL coming over, and it did end up having a very late announcement. I hope that they chose to bring this one over as well, and I would not be surprised if they kept the "Final Fantasy" naming convention of its predecessor for western release. Even if the name didn't sound completely nonsensical to native English speakers, I would expect them to slap final fantasy on there somewhere.

The name may need a do-over for a NA release, but this game would certainly have its appeal for people. I really hope this makes it over as it seems like I game I would actually really like to play with some amazing art.

duckroll

Like I said, I'm not sure about the composer--I could have just assumed that--but didn't they already confirm it's a Matrix game?

Nope. They never said it was by Matrix. In fact, when the producer said that the scenario and sound staff in particular are staff who have not previously worked with S-E before. They've said very little about the development of the game, and seem to not want to show much gameplay at all right now. The main background artist for the game is a Mr. Ueda, who might be Wataru Ueda, or a new staff who joined S-E very recently.

Zornica

Banned
It seems like a very traditional jrpg, but the music has some very interessting arrangement and instrument choices, so it could be something unique and fresh. I can't wait for some first impressions.

Eusis

I wonder what the chances of this coming over are. I'm sure that can't be that low....right?
I think it might be helped by being a 3DS game when the 3DS is in the middle of rising. If this were, say, a PSP game we'd be screwed, and even on Vita they might just chalk it up to an incompatible market and ignore it. Or just ignore it period, I have no idea what's happening with Lords of Apocalypse but even if Arcana tanked the Vita version probably would've been a good idea to get out ASAP to feed off of desperate early adopters... like me.

I don't have ANY hopes for keeping that name though. Almost a shame, it has it's nonsensical charm but they're going to want something more sensible here, whatever it is they go with.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious

I'm curious... why is this? Have there been any significant Square Enix games passed over for western release lately?

@MUWANdo

Banned
still looking good when they not but maybe its just the res maybe it is that good

From what I gather, the PICA200 graphics processor is able to output at much higher resolutions than the 3DS can actually display on its tiny-arse screen, so a lot of "bullshots" are due to the capture kits processing 'em at a larger res and then shrinking 'em to 400x240. In that sense they're not really deliberately deceptive.

Nope. They never said it was by Matrix. In fact, when the producer said that the scenario and sound staff in particular are staff who have not previously worked with S-E before. They've said very little about the development of the game, and seem to not want to show much gameplay at all right now. The main background artist for the game is a Mr. Ueda, who might be Wataru Ueda, or a new staff who joined S-E very recently.

Oh, cool. Good to know.

Kesagiri

This is probably my most anticipated game right now. I wish there was half a chance that the NA eshop will have these demos.

Eusis

I'm curious... why is this? Have there been any significant Square Enix games passed over for western release lately?
After Valkyrie Profile: Covenant of the Plume they pretty much gave up on bringing over DS games entirely unless it was Final Fantasy, Kingdom Hearts, or (to a lesser extent since they gave up publishing/marketing but not localizing) Dragon Quest, and I think SaGa 2 came out in Japan long before they gave up there. Then there's the conspicuous absence of Lord of Apocalypse at the Vita's launch, but the reasons for that could range from Arcana being a failure (presumably), being a heavier game to localize and thus impractical to have at both launches, and possibly even Sony rejection for whatever reason (it DOES sound like it's a heavily upgraded Lord of Arcana rather than a whole new game).

Top Bottom