• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bravely Default: Flying Fairy twitter account says they can hear the overseas fans

please please please please change the name in localization

I agree with this. Hell, even just calling it "Final Fantasy 3D Adventure" (or simply Final Fantasy 3D) would be better than Bravely Default. That name makes my head hurt for some reason.

I am dying to play this though. I still have high hopes because it certainly isn't in the same situation as Type Zero, whose non-release made perfect sense due to the system being dead. Since they gave us Dream Drop and Theatrythm I think Bravely Default will eventually come too.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Did you finish the game?

Yes, I fully completed its content outside of maxing out every job for every character.

I think it's probably worth noting that of all the impressions I've seen of this game from GAFfers since its release -- Zefah seems to be the individual who likes it the least. So, don't put all your eggs in one basket. :)

Fair enough. I'm definitely not the only one who was sour on certain parts of the game, but you're right that I was probably the most negative about the game.

serplux

So... the game's actually good right?

It's gotten quite a bit of praise and quite a bit of good reviews. If you wanna get a get detailed one, check this out. It's a pretty damn good game, from what I've heard.

I agree with this. Hell, even just calling it "Final Fantasy 3D Adventure" (or simply Final Fantasy 3D) would be better than Bravely Default. That name makes my head hurt for some reason.

I am dying to play this though. I still have high hopes because it certainly isn't in the same situation as Type Zero, whose non-release made perfect sense due to the system being dead. Since they gave us Dream Drop and Theatrythm I think Bravely Default will eventually come too.

I've gotten quite fond of Bravely Default: Flying Fairy's title. It's got that bit of awkwardness that makes it quirky and awesome.

zroid

Banned
Fair enough. I'm definitely not the only one who was sour on certain parts of the game, but you're right that I was probably the most negative about the game.

Yeah, I didn't mean to single you out, just wanted to say that there are definitely a lot of people who really loved the game too. It got some GOTY mentions, even.

I fully expect this game to be called Final Fantasy: Bravely Default when Square localise it - it would instantly give them more sales in the west.

I fully expect this game to be called Final Fantasy: Bravely Default when Square localise it - it would instantly give them more sales in the west.

How have Final Fantasy handheld games done outside of Japan though?
Surely it'd be selling to a mostly console audience?

They'd be better pushing a new IP imo.
Especially as I suspect Nintendo is partnered with them on the localisation and its likely to get a holiday release.

Toth

The FF is damaged after XIII (and maybe XIII-2 and the announcement of XIII-3).

Ugh this statement. What proof is there about that aside from 13-2's sales? Those only tell me that the demand for a sequel to 13 was lower than expected.

There are pros and cons of this. The pro is that they will get more sales - I agree with you. However, if Bravely Default is truly a new IP, then it needs to be built as a new IP. TWEWY did quite well in the West, and there are a huge number of TWEWY fans who want a sequel. There's a fanbase for the game. If TWEWY were called "Final Fantasy: Afterlife", it would be difficult for SE to tell the fanbase apart from other Final Fantasy titles, and if TWEWY took off they would want to name it as its own IP, but that would mean having to rebuilt customer devotion.

So, in the long run, I think it's best for SE to simply name the game Bravely Default. The game will do well over here, and SE will have another IP to tease people with. If it's called Final Fantasy, it will be considered another FF off-shoot, and that will harm the IPs ability to make waves.

Ugh this statement. What proof is there about that aside from 13-2's sales? Those only tell me that the demand for a sequel to 13 was lower than expected.
What more proof do you need than the many Final Fantasy fans out there saying this is the case for them?

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance

More like the overhyped XIII and what was contained within, a poor launch of an MMO now being reworked, a sequel nobody wanted which is getting another which nobody wanted.

Those who did want it are in the minority. Over half of the original userbase that bought XIII had diminished with it's sequel.

And fans clamoring for Versus, Type 0 and this game is mostly met with darkening silence.

And you THINK that would make using the FF brand name a good idea to use as name recognition to garner more sales?

If anything it could do the opposite if fans relate BDFF to FF:ATB.

Stark

Banned
And you THINK that would make using the FF brand name a good idea to use as name recognition to garner more sales?

If anything it could do the opposite if fans relate BDFF to FF:ATB.

It would kill the game if it had a relation to being a spin-off or seen at that caliber. And that's a big risk.

demidar

XIII sells gangbusters -> "This game is terrible, I won't be tricked again"/"I don't like this game and I don't want any sequels" -> Lower sales are reflected in XIII-2 because XIII left a bad taste in their mouths.

Franchise decline is shown after a terrible entry, much like how after DMC2 (a terrible entry), DMC3 sold a lot lower (the greatest entry).

friz898

You know, if Nintendo publishes, I hope it sells a bazillion. Let Nintendo get the money that Square missed out on.

Toth

XIII sells gangbusters -> "This game is terrible, I won't be tricked again"/"I don't like this game and I don't want any sequels" -> Lower sales are reflected in XIII-2 because XIII left a bad taste in their mouths.

Franchise decline is shown after a terrible entry, much like how after DMC2 (a terrible entry), DMC3 sold a lot lower (the greatest entry).

As I said, those sales indicate that people were not keen on the FF13 saga, not the FF series, and did not come back for a FF13 sequel. The only real way to see whether the brand' is 'damaged' sales-wise is to watch how FF15 or Versus actually sell. Heck, 14's revival is generating some very possible buzz and the sale potential is really there.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
As I said, those sales indicate that people were not keen on the FF13 saga, not the FF series, and did not come back for a FF13 sequel. The only real way to see whether the brand' is 'damaged' sales-wise is to watch how FF15 or Versus actually sell. Heck, 14's revival is generating some very possible buzz and the sale potential is really there.

Quite the optimist.

And on the hypothetical chance a nonexistent FFXV sold like crap you would likely say to wait for FFXVI to gauge brand damage.

The damage has already been done. All that remains is to see if Square can afford to obtain a Megalixir.

demidar

Quite the optimist.

And on the hypothetical chance a nonexistent FFXV sold like crap you would likely say to wait for FFXVI to gauge brand damage.

The damage has already been done. All that remains is to see if Square can afford to obtain a Megalixir.

Square Enix will have to wait to recover the energy needed to do something... but a megalixir is only $5...

Toth

Quite the optimist.

No, if XV sold like crap, then there is truly a basis for the argument.

I think people need to see how much SE has done to revive SE to see where their dedication to the series is most evident. Heck, even Kagari was impressed by Yoshida!

demidar

No, if XV sold like crap, then there is truly a basis for the argument.

I think people need to see how much SE has done to revive SE to see where their dedication to the series is most evident. Heck, even Kagari was impressed by Yoshida!

The only good part of SE is handheld SE, I can admit that much. One does wonder what will happen if ARR bombs though, but I don't really count it as justification for the franchise being damaged because it's an MMO (although you can make the argument that ARR is the sequel to vanilla XIV).

friz898

The only good part of SE is handheld SE, I can admit that much. One does wonder what will happen if ARR bombs though, but I don't really count it as justification for the franchise being damaged because it's an MMO (although you can make the argument that ARR is the sequel to vanilla XIV).

I want FF 14 to do good as I'd label myself a Square fanboy any day, but even if it DID bomb, it still could be good for all the single player games.

They could get into 'panic/try hard" mode and pop out type 0, versus, XV...along with 5 and 6 remakes and a 7 remaster/remake and all of the sudden bring themselves back to what they were.

They have other titles of course, but you know those Square folks have some personal pride about their Final Fantasy. Their Eidos games, DQ, KH, and other games selling means alot for the company bottom line, but I'm sure there is a ton of longtime Square guys who want to be able to proudly proclaim that their Final Fantasy series is still the king of the throne. Pride can be motivating.

I mean, regardless of some of their questionable output and decisions lately, obviously Square doesnt WANT to fail.

Eusis

Yep. It'd be stupid not to capitalize on the strength of the FF IP.

That didn't help 4 Heroes (major 'piss off' on the people who cry about FF "not going back to its roots," then ignoring that game)
In addition to this, they've notably avoided doing that after the Game Boy, even games where they could've gotten away with it (Mana and SaGa namely.) I don't think SE wants to do that sort of thing anymore, plus at this point it seems useless: the FF name's damaged, we're in a period where more consumers will be aware of the real names of these games and be hyped on their merits alone if they'd care at all, and the GB games literally looked just like Final Fantasy games, though this comes as close as you can with modern FF. Still, I think the fact games like Mana, Xenogears, and The World Ends With You took off without pre-established IPs plus Final Fantasy doing 4 Heroes no good means they'll likely stick with the original name or choose something not Final Fantasy.

EDIT: With that said checking on the classes this probably IS as close to a potentially successful rebrand as you'll now get post-SaGa GB. But I suspect they'll want to cultivate this into their backup not-FF series anyway.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Anybody who wants to see this localized should want a name change, if only because a game titled "Bravely Default: Flying Fairy" on the 3DS isn't going to sell shit, which is going to further hurt potential future localizations.

And Square Enix is going to be smart enough to realize that, so they're probably not going to use that title. I'd expect it to be Final Fantasy something or other just because they latch that on to everything.

cjkeats

I'd be fine with just Bravely Default, although I can see the benefits to putting the FF name on it.

What if they just call it something like "Brave Fairly"?

rjc571

Banned
Just call it Final Fantasy XV and be done with it. Probably not the best business decision, but the fanboy meltdowns sure would be entertaining to watch!

C'mon guys, really? Renaming the game "Final Fantasy"? What is this, the early 90s? Have we really reverted those days when they renamed Seiken Densetsu to Final Fantasy Adventure and Makaitoshi SaGa to Final Fantasy Legend?

Eusis

Just call it Final Fantasy XV and be done with it. Probably not the best business decision, but the fanboy meltdowns sure would be entertaining to watch!
I'd melt down but probably for different reasons than them: we have one franchise that FINALLY sets the numbering correctly, even as many kept messing with it (or just dropping it), and now we have a senseless inconsistency brought in? What in the fuck?
C'mon guys, really? Renaming the game "Final Fantasy"? What is this, the early 90s? Have we really reverted those days when they renamed Seiken Densetsu to Final Fantasy Adventure and Makaitoshi SaGa to Final Fantasy Legend?
Believe it or not Seiken Densetsu's not really an example of this, though SaGa absolutely is. The original full name for Seiken Densetsu was Seiken Densetsu: Final Fantasy Gaiden. Adapting the name really rather than a full name change. Then when they dropped Final Fantasy Gaiden they dropped Final Fantasy here too.

demidar

Not knowing the context of "Flying Fairy" makes naming this hard, but I don't want to spoil myself on the offchance this will actually come over. I do thing "Brave" needs to be in the title somewhere.

Fleeting Braves: Flying Fairy?

Top Bottom