• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bravely Default sells one million worldwide (400K Japan, 600K West)

zeromcd73

From the official Japanese twitter account.

Awesome news guys! According to Dengeki Online, Bravely Default sold 400k in Japan, and 600k in the West ! We did it!! :D
ブレイブリーデフォルト全世界100万本突破!

2012年10月の発売から1年半。ワールドワイドでの出荷本数が日本40万本、海外60万本となり、累計100万本を達成しました。(ダウンロ ード版含む)

arekuso

I think the release of Bravely Second overseas is now secured. Well done !

Really loved the first 4 chapters + the two ends of the game. Hated the chapters 5 to 8 though.

redcrayon

That's pretty good news, if only because it might stop some small fraction of their dev teams from churning out mobile games infested with IAP instead.

I really enjoyed Bravely Default. Took my time with chapters 1-4, blasted through 5-7 in 90 minutes just doing the handful of compulsory temple battles, and then loved the final battle. Just epic.

The auto-battle and fast-forward options were great too, made levelling up jobs great fun. I loved some of the abilities and the way they interlocked too, my black Mage was regularly using poison/target all/ while using a staff that increased the likelihood of getting it to stick, and then following up with 'exterminate' to auto-kill poisoned enemies. Just brutal, so nice to have status effects that actually work on most enemies.

All in all I think it's got great potential, the second half was poorly thought out but they added so many ideas that pushed the classic JRPG formula forwards.

Jinko

Well here's hoping they put some effort into the second ones story then >.>

Yes I'm still bitter SE !

Rubixcuba

Banned
Still haven't finished, never will due to,
Chapter 5 onwards

Looking forward to the sequel.

Edit: To save any derail, the event isn't that bad. Its simply a unique choice of game design that people will be either to accept and move forward, or like myself put the game down satisfied with a very fine addition to the 3DS library.

FryHole

I keep seeing this. Is it really that bad?

It's not, if you approach it right. The worst part really is the moment it dawns what's happening, once you make your peace with it you can get through it easily enough, enjoy some fun scenes, subtle twists and great fights.

Edit to say: aside from the now traditional "second half of BD" debate, I'm really happy to see it sell a million. I checked my play time t'other day and it was pushing 80 hours. Good lord.

L~A

I find that... somehow hard to believe, though that's mostly due to a total lack of precise numbers in some territories.

But that's pretty good news overall, hopefully the second one reaches 2m :)

Love the first game, and will definitely buy the sequel day one.

L~A

Awesome news guys! According to Dengeki Online, Bravely Default sold 400k in Japan, and 600k in the West ! We did it!! :D

ブレイブリーデフォルト全世界100万本突破!

2012年10月の発売から1年半。ワールドワイドでの出荷本数が日本40万本、海外60万本となり、累計100万本を達成しました。(ダウンロード版含む)

Jinko

I'm another, think I stopped after Ch6. I was just done with the game at that point, I couldn't really believe how they'd designed the latter stages of the games. The first 5 chapters are magnificent though.

Indeed, it was akin to laying a golden egg and then taking a dump right on top of it.

L~A

Can somebody please translate what is being said?

Official Twitter says '1m worldwide, yay!', and the Dengeki Online part talks about the demo, how you can play the 1st 4 chapters for free and the rest costs 2000 Yens or so.

Jamix012

100k due to best buy B1G1 Free Promotion =p

No but seriously, congratulations. Haven't got the game yet, but happy that a new japanese oriented IP can do well.

glad for them (really enjoyed the game despite not finishing the aformentioned chapter 5+) despite liking the idea behind it (can't wait for the sequel XD

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Bravely Default selling more in US than in the Japan, is a tight hard slap across SE's face for not localizing it

I wonder if this includes the original Flying Fairy...

Yes. The tweet specifically stated "since Oct 2012", which is the release date for the original Flying Fairy.

mclem

Still haven't finished, never will due to,
Chapter 5 onwards

Looking forward to the sequel.

Edit: To save any derail, the event isn't that bad. Its simply a unique choice of game design that people will be either to accept and move forward, or like myself put the game down satisfied with a very fine addition to the 3DS library.

I think that's a reasonable way of putting it. I was fine with it - I enjoyed the battle system, and the
new twists and evolutions of old fights
really leveraged the potential of the system. In particular, I have to single out Chapter 8:
Fighting previous bosses in groups which were designed to mask their weaknesses and accentuate their strengths
was the sort of challenge I'd ordinarily associate with postgame encounters - and I guess you could handle these as such instead - but I embraced fighting them in the there and then.

I was at the level cap, didn't feel like I've deliberately grinded to get there, and still no major fight was a trivial oneshot. I appreciated that.

Plus, I liked the way
the characters were represented changed from world to world, shedding new light on their motivations and interactions, and filling out their backstories.

Only chapters 5 and 6 are lame. 7 and 8 were amazing!

Yeah, I'd agree with that.
I feel that the biggest crime isn't the repetition as it's generally described, but the fact that chapters 5 and 6 aren't different enough to spark people's curiosity. I suspect many people might have enjoyed the way 7 and 8 mixes things up, but missed out on it because they were now conditioned to blast through the repetitive elements when those chapters make things markedly different. The first hint you get of that is in 6 - the Venus sisters being fought as a group rather than individually - but I think it needed to do more of that

I'm curious: In the original game, what was actually compulsory? I know FTS made a lot of content optional, which makes me wonder what players were actually forced through in the original release's critical path.

KHlover

Banned
Was one of my GOTY contenders 2013 until "that" point, but then I played it for a second time and suddenly it wasn't so bad anymore :D

(One of my) GOTY 2013

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Well deserved. Enjoyed the job/battle system of this game, even if it's story was complete garbage.

Chapters 7 and 8 were an absolute joy to play through and I will be thoroughly disappointed if Bravely Second doesn't offer a similar challenge.

ZeroX03

Banned
Well deserved. I'm in for then sequel. Wonder if SE will publish it this time?

Nintendo did a much better job than SE ever would have

Demoli

Imo only chapter 5 was unnecessary. 6 introduced the last job and 7 and 8 had new amazing boss fights.

My GotY so far.

Shengar

Holy shit, 600k in the west o_O
I can't fucking believe that SE originally don't have any localization plan for this. So fucking unbelievable.

L~A

According to creamsugar, Bravely Default sold 250 000 by the end of May (iirc?). So does that mean it sold roughly 300k just in Europe? That... somehow doesn't sound right. I remember French sales were roughly 60k around may or something.

Do any of the sales-agers have a precise breakdown of Bravely Default sales worldwide?

Lucreto

I need to get back to this game. I just arrived at the area with the Earth Crystal but got sick of level grinding and gave up. The normal battles are too hard by the time I get to the boss I have no mp left.

Percy

Banned
It's a shame such a truly mediocre product had to be the big JRPG success story of recent times, but I guess there weren't exactly many other options on the table on that front.

zeromcd73

According to creamsugar, Bravely Default sold 250 000 by the end of May (iirc?). So does that mean it sold roughly 300k just in Europe? That... somehow doesn't sound right. I remember French sales were roughly 60k around may or something.

Do any of the sales-agers have a precise breakdown of Bravely Default sales worldwide?

US
~ 277k

Japan
~ 353k

That's all I've got.

Top Bottom