• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bravely Default series' future relies upon success of second game

Jarnet87

in before it sells well but Enix says it sold below their expectations.

What do you mean this game didn't sell 5 million copies? You see, Americans don't want RPGs, now you're stuck with only our crap Eidos titles. mwahahahahahahaha.

PirateKing

Will this series ever see the light on other consoles especially Vita? Is there some form of exclusivity with Nintendo?

Oregano

Will this series ever see the light on other consoles especially Vita? Is there some form of exclusivity with Nintendo?

Asano said the series will stay on 3DS but that doesn't rule out ports. However Nintendo did publish the game in the west(and SE weren't going to) and the game has outsold every Vita game except God Eater 2 so I definitely wouldn't expect a Vita release, especially in the west.

batbeg

Kinda seems like an obvious sentiment. If the series doesn't show growth, expansion or retention, what publisher would keep going with it

I know there's a million declining franchises that continue, you don't need to point it out the me.

Let's hope it succeeds then, cus it's one of the best games I played this year even though they can certainly improve a few things. I wonder if they'll bring the sequel to the West at all though. Even if a game can sell into the million plus range, SE has shown that they don't want to localise anything unless it does far larger numbers over here for some reason.

I don't even have the first game yet!

Personally, I hate all these "hostage situation" type deals with games.

I'll support that second game if I find the first game good enough.

If it isn't, it'll just die.

Asd202

I don't even have the first game yet!

Personally, I hate all these "hostage situation" type deals with games.

I'll support that second game if I find the first game good enough.

If it isn't, it'll just die.

Your support will mean shit to them it's all about Japan YO :p.

Glass Rebel

The first game is pretty damn good and sold well in Japan. FTS also had some solid sales for an enhanced release. I'm confident that we'll see a Bravely Third.

Real question is whether Bravely Second will make it to the West but they left the epilogue after all.

kadotsu

Banned
I hope Silicon doesn't go for a stupid cliffhanger in Bravely Second then. Square Enix executives have a minor problem of loving to smell their own farts, which leads to unrealistic sales expectations. Given their recent idiocy they probably expect half a million in Japan alone.

mjc

Well people will buy it if it's good Square-Enix otherwise you only have yourself to blame.

Secondly, I feel S-E is pretty much threatening their fanbase with things like this and making the expansion pack for the first (For the Sequel) sound like a charity fundraising/kickstarter. It's all pretty upsetting to see that the Japanese RPG scene has fell so far that this is one of maybe half a dozen good RPGs and thus S-E are treating it as some special 'old school' pastiche of a pastiche and that we should be grateful and do exactly what they say and buy it and buy the expansion called 'buy it for the next game'.

It's also strange that after one game they're talking about it as though it's some legendary series. The FF4HoL never saw such obsessive fanfare from S-E. It's all desperation on a false heritage/premise.

And after all of this - they aren't a charity - they're a company - all the money from this could be funnelled into some FF blackhole...

This is the post of the thread. SE threatens fans, then turns around and takes their profits and dumps them into shitty FF projects. I'll support Bravely because it seems like a genuinely good outing, (Despite SE's attempt to fuck it up with microtransactions) but I don't plan to otherwise.

Seik

Banned
Was Bravely Second announced for NA?

Whatever, I'll be there for the first one, that's for sure, my copy is ordered since july.

Nirolak, why did you change your avatar for something that represents disappointment? :p

turnbuckle

I'm doing my part by letting RPG/FF fan friends know about this game.

Ordered the game. Not much else I can do. It will never happen, but if they re-released this on the Vita in a year or so I'd definitely double-dip.

Kater

Banned
I pray that we'll get Bravely Second localized in Europe.
Just please do a better job at QC the voice recordings next time, Square Enix/Nintendo. And no silly microtransactions.

wrowa

Well, this is rather obvious, is it not? Bravely is a very young and fresh series that's just getting started. If people have lost interest in it by the time the second game arrives, it's safe to assume that it doesn't make sense to explore the series any further. The second game always is the one that decides whether or not a first game was a fluke or if there's actual interest in a game as a series.

Sales of the first one very definitely encouraging, however. If Second reaches yet again 300k people, I think we don't have to worry about the series fate...

I wouldn't mind seeing Bravely on other platforms too, btw. While playing Bravely Default I some times stopped and wondered how amazing the backgrounds could look on a platform with a higher resolution. When zoomed out a lot of details are getting lost on the 3DS, sadly, and when zoomed in a few areas in the game are a tad too blurry. Nothing bad (and I absolutely prefer it to be 3DS exclusive when that means that Nintendo will keep publishing it in the West), though, it's still a beautiful game on the 3DS too.

I do wonder if they are going to change something with the backgrounds in Bravely Second, though. I think it's obvious that Bravely Default was made without the 3DS XL in mind; the graphical flaws are more apparent on the huge screens.

No. But that's to be expected, considering that Bravely Default is not even out in NA (and just got released a few weeks back in Europe). We'll likely have to play the usual "wait and see" game until after the game releases in Japan.

When is Bravely Second supposed to be released anyway? Next Fall?

-Horizon-

Whatever, I'll be there for the first one, that's for sure, my copy is ordered since july.

Nirolak, why did you change your avatar for something that represents disappointment? :p

They're probably going to wait out and see US sales of For the Sequel first.

"Why didn't it hit 3 million? No Bravely Second for you westerners then."

King_Moc

Banned
Well lets just say its a good thing the decisive game is the second one since it didn't ake the Top 40 in UK iirc. I think they should advertise it and now that its a relatively recognised franchise western sales should be even better.

I think it made the top 20 in France, which is ok. I don't think advertising it in the UK would make much difference, unless they renamed it to CoD, FIFA or Assassin's Creed.

Guessing the sequel won't be releasing outside Japan seeing as the first game did so poorly in the west following one painful route to even release here at all.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Guessing the sequel won't be releasing outside Japan seeing as the first game did so poorly in the west following one painful route to even release here at all.
It kind of depends on how Nintendo feels.

A third party has zero incentive to release a game that will do poorly. Sometimes a console vendor will release one though to satisfy a niche that buys a lot of software overall, assuming they don't lose much in aggregate.

That said, Square has to agree to let them publish it first, and we still don't have DQ despite Nintendo having success publishing DQ9.

Eusis

Nintendo is publishing the game here, so I can't imagine Square can make all that much of a profit off the western release.
That probably depends on the kind of deal they drafted up.

And I imagine this is true for 90% of the series out there, they under perform and will get put on the cutting block, only when they've been very, very firmly established are they safe or if someone high up favors them. Still, I imagine just having a single successful game means the threshhold is higher and SE will have more wiggle room so if it dips slightly, eh, whatever.
That said, Square has to agree to let them publish it first, and we still don't have DQ despite Nintendo having success publishing DQ9.
Really doesn't help that DQVII has a Trails-size script with higher standards demanded. At least they can probably get more man power on that and due to the nature of the story telling I bet they could more easily spread the workload without unrealistically breaking cohesion.

PokéKong

Really? I thought the future depended on the success of the first game. No wait, it depended on the success of the second edition of the game titled "FOR THE SEQUEL". Or perhaps the success of the series depends entirely on the success of the series.

Top Bottom