• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bravely Default: The writer explains the title's meaning

duckroll

http://www.famitsu.com/news/201203/29012342.html

There's a mini-interview with Naotaka Hayashi (Steins;Gate), the 5pb scenario writer behind Bravely Default: Flying Fairy. He talks about the game's story concept, what his role is in the game, and the meaning behind the title.

- Naotaka is responsible for creating the entire scenario plot and themes, as well as defining all the characters in the game. He is also writing the actual text script in the game, although he does work with both Square Enix and Silicon Studio staffers to iron out the finer details of the story.

- The game will be pretty character driven, with the characters in the game learning that their personal views don't always match with that of a world at large, and while they begin with certain missions or goals, such conflicts will cause them to question their approach towards the world and others.

- The title of the game is Bravely Default. What does it mean? It actually means exactly what you might think it means. It refers to bravely taking the step towards turning your back on your promises and responsibilities. Lol. No, he does not mention the Flying Fairy subtitle. Too bad, I bet that would have made a funny story too. :p

Maedhros

I tought he just choose two random words from the dictionary? So, he really thought about them? Wow. :p

The game seens interesting enough. Seeing pre-rendered rooms reminds me of the good era of PS1 RPGs.

scy

- The title of the game is Bravely Default. What does it mean? It actually means exactly what you might think it means. It refers to bravely taking the step towards turning your back on your promises and responsibilities. Lol. No, he does not mention the Flying Fairy subtitle. Too bad, I bet that would have made a funny story too. :p

Well, okay.

zroid

Banned
gaawwwwd i waant this gaaaaaaaaaaaame

but why Default?

"de·fault /noun / Failure to fulfill an obligation"

The definition everyone forgets about (myself included, until recently). That said, it still sounds like he just took the word out of a thesaurus, because it's not the ideal way to get that meaning across.

Pretty sure Bravely Default means "Hey, niche fans of weird japanese to english titles, look at us, we're niche too. Let's be friends*"

*Let's be friends means buy my game.

vareon

- The game will be pretty character driven, with the characters in the game learning that their personal views don't always match with that of a world at large, and while they begin with certain missions or goals, such conflicts will cause them to question their approach towards the world and others.

I like this. Hopefully this means there's a more emphasis in story.

......huh.

youdontsay.jpg

I don't know why do they bother explaining this... Most of the fun is that it doesn't make any sense.

duckroll

The definition everyone forgets about (myself included, until recently). That said, it still sounds like he just took the word out of a thesaurus, because it's not the ideal way to get that meaning across.

He is also the writer of a popular series of loosely connected visual adventure titles from 5pb, here are their titles:

Chaos;Head
Steins;Gate
Robotics;Notes

- The title of the game is Bravely Default. What does it mean? It actually means exactly what you might think it means. It refers to bravely taking the step towards turning your back on your promises and responsibilities.

The game should be called Final Fantasy: Abdication, then.

Orayn

"Bravely Default" always gave me the mental image of the heroes being down on their luck, utterly broke, and having to take odd jobs as they defaulted on loan payments.

Fou-Lu

I could see the title basically meaning that the main characters are turning their back on obligations/duties they don't agree with. But I doubt it.

:/ I think its a good strong name sets it apart from other but then the Flying Fairy taking it to far they no need for a sub name

Bebpo

Banned
I kind of wonder if he stole the title/was inspired for the title by this light novel dialogue that would've come first and he probably read:

(warning has a loli talking)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTzMCwWYr_I

[to summarize, Nisemonogatari light novel series has a dialogue where a character says adding "Courage" (which conveniently is the same word as Brave in Japanese) to a negative action makes it seem positive. Like "the courage to abandon your comrades" and how at first glance it sounds like you did the right thing even though you actually did the wrong thing. "Bravely Default" fits this concept to a t.]

You're always getting backstabbed in RPGs. About darn time YOU get to be the one screwing your friends over for the greater good by going back on whatever bullshit childhood promises you made.

Gilgamesh

Whoa whoa whoa. This game is being written by the same guy that wrote Steins;Gate? Holy shit. My already high level of hype just went through the roof.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
what meaning... think of all the untapped potential, like a prince or princess gives up responsibility of crown to explore outside world

OH WAIT THIS CHARACTER EXISTS IN EVERY RPG EVER MADE

tokkun

It actually means exactly what you might think it means. It refers to bravely taking the step towards turning your back on your promises and responsibilities.

tumblr_l6iqw1WL9P1qaggjuo1_500.gif

jimmypython

Flying Fairy is for putting FF into the title I guess.....

(why don't they just use FINAL FANTASY GAIDEN like they did for 4 warriors of light)

Mario007

http://www.famitsu.com/news/201203/29012342.html

This is very interesting considering the game is pretty much labelled as Four Heroes of Light 2. The original Four Heroes was actually not character driven at all, rather weak on the personal story and revolved rather around the world around (kinda like Dragonquest more so than FF).

NinjaBoiX

Worst title I've ever heard. Both nonsensical and utterly pretentious. Has an "Infinite Undiscovery" vibe about it, like, what the fuck were they thinking?

Makes it sound like an uninspired cliche JRPG and they don't give a damn. Not saying anything about the actual quality of the game, but the really, really sounds like "we're not afraid to give you the same old tropes" on top of being pretentious sounding nonsense.

They couldn't figure out a better way to translate running away from your obligations than that? Bleh.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Worst title I've ever heard. Both nonsensical and utterly pretentious. Has an "Infinite Undiscovery" vibe about it, like, what the fuck were they thinking?

It's actually not like Infinite Undiscovery. That doesn't make sense. Bravely Default makes total sense. It's just kind of stupid.

what meaning... think of all the untapped potential, like a prince or princess gives up responsibility of crown to explore outside world

OH WAIT THIS CHARACTER EXISTS IN EVERY RPG EVER MADE

if you want to be cynical

the optimistic view is that the hero makes a bunch of childish or naive JRPG promises or obligations, and must renege on them once they realize that completing their ultimate goal and fulfilling those obligations are mutually exclusive

Top Bottom