• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bravely Second: new trailer and soundtrack previews

L~A

Square-Enix has just uploaded a brand new trailer for Bravely Secdong Second. Here it is:

YouTube

There's also some soundtrack previews over at the official website!

- Main Theme
- Yuu's theme
- Magnolia's theme
- Edea's theme
- Tiz's theme

Also, artworks for returning asterisk holders:

artemia_chara-image.png

mefiria_chara-image.png

ominous_chara-image.png

hunter_image.png

black-mage_image.png

summoner_image.png

The Demon Kings:

Screenshots for the Buster Ships:

Special attacks:

I absolutely loved Bravely Default... even the chapters 5 6 7 and 8...
But Second just screams like lazy sequel :/
I have yet to see a new environment except for that new town near Ancheim...
It even seems that they'll reuse the entire world map :/

Square Enix had a successful new IP and they keep treating it like a low budget release.

L~A

Thanks, but already found them while you posted, ha ha. Thanks anyway.

And I don't see how anyone could be disappointed, the soundtrack sounds great imo. It's definitely different from Revo's stuff, that's for sure.

MLH

New soundtrack has, so far, been disappointing, almost everything sounds 'flat' with an overuse of electric guitar.

Heyt

Banned
The music is lacking compared to teh first one. There was no way a dude that makes such soft pop music like Ryo would be able to replicate the energy Revo puts into his stuff. It annoys me how Ryo seems to be overusing guitars for this game in order to attempt to up to cover the lack of punch his melodies have... with no success, I might add. Either he was aware of how bloodless his stuff is compared to Revo's or he was unable to understand why Revo's music was so energetic and suiting for the game. I think it's the latter.

The soundtrack change... the resuse of stuff like maps, characters, jobs...
Everything screams like it even has a lower budget than Bravely Default :(
I guess Square Enix dont believe on that IP.

I still hope they'll localize it though.

Hm, a first listen of the themes makes me already miss revo. But then again, I'm the type of person who gets attached to the music through repetition of hearing it during gameplay. I'm sure i'll eventually enjoy this OST also.

L~A

What?

Revo isn't doing the soundtrack because he wasn't available, not because Squeenix was cheap.
And what is wrong with returning stuff? It's a direct sequel. And there's lots of new stuff, though there's no denying the amount of returning stuff can be quite underwhelming (though I do feel they're just keeping the best for last).

xevis

Banned
Yep, overuse of electric guitar makes each songs sounds samey eventhough they isn't really the same song

This is a good point. The music from the original was a BIG selling point for me. Still, I loved the first game so much that I will find it hard not to buy the second. Dem jobs, mane. Can't get enough.

7702ce0586.jpg

Tiz is still the best :3

If they don't believe in the IP, they won't be doing BD merchandises, they won't be doing artnia collaboration earlier this year etc. ;)

Thoraxes

The music is lacking compared to teh first one. There was no way a dude that makes such soft pop music like Ryo would be able to replicate the energy Revo puts into his stuff. It annoys me how Ryo seems to be overusing guitars for this game in order to attempt to up to cover the lack of punch his melodies have... with no success, I might add. Either he was aware of how bloodless his stuff is compared to Revo's or he was unable to understand why Revo's music was so energetic and suiting for the game. I think it's the latter.

I think it's more down to his budget and compositional abilites (and well, what the development studio asked of him). Sampling versus studio recording, all the inefficient voice doublings and patch bleeding, recorded guitar blended with the patches, thin instrumentation, weak sampling techniques used, poor voice-leading. The list goes on.

Honestly the compositions would be 100% better if he had better orchestration abilities. The core components of the compositions could even stay the exact same.

The continuity of the series is something I like, so it doesn't bother me that there are returning characters, map, areas, etc.

L~A

7702ce0586.jpg

If they don't believe in the IP, they won't be doing BD merchandises, they won't be doing artnia collaboration earlier this year etc. ;)

And they wouldn't parade with their 'over 1m units sold worldwide!' at the beginning of the trailer.

To me, Squeenix seems rather confident, yet still a bit cautious (which is why they didn't give this game a AAA game budget.... knowing Squeenix's usual expectation and multi-million sellers being disappointing for them, it's probably for the best).

dellingr

Many things about this game worry me but I really want to be proven wrong. However the skeptic in me wont shut up. I loved Bravely Default and really want this sequel to be good, I just worry that it's gonna be too similar to Bravely Default and not really feel like a fresh experience. Oh well. We'll see on release.

Easy_D

never left the stone age

They figured people would be ready to play the game yet another time after the timeloops of the first one :lol. FFS Squenix, you had something going there for a moment

Edit: Edea's theme is very Windy Scene from Chrono Trigger at parts..

Many things about this game worry me but I really want to be proven wrong. However the skeptic in me wont shut up. I loved Bravely Default and really want this sequel to be good, I just worry that it's gonna be too similar to Bravely Default and not really feel like a fresh experience. Oh well. We'll see on release.

It's a direct sequel, of course there'll be many similar feel/experience in comparison with the 1st game... except of course the songs :^)

It's almost like they're actively trying to sabotage the series. They really need to turn out that the majority of the game takes place on the moon, or some other locale. I can't toally imagine they really expect it to be ok to make us use the same world with only minor changes for the 9...10th? time

dellingr

It's a direct sequel, of course there'll be many similar feel/experience in comparison with the 1st game... except of course the songs :^)

I would've preferred a completely new story. I can imagine a lot of people got burned out by the end of the first game and if they use the same areas/jobs again what's the point? Why make a new game at all.

For example, I couldn't bring myself to get far in Tales of Xillia 2 despite the interesting story 'cause it was too similar to the first. Too many reused assets. That's what I'm worried about for Bravely Second.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
I started the first game last month and I've already put almost a hundred hours on it. I think the last RPG I enjoyed this much was Dragon Quest VIII.

So fuck yeah give it to me asap.

L~A

I started the first game last month and I've already put almost a hundred hours on it. I think the last RPG I enjoyed this much was Dragon Quest VIII.

So fuck yeah give it to me asap.

Glad to see I'm not the only one who played the game for over 100h, ha ha.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Btw it's weird to me seeing these trailers being played at normal speed after I've played through the whole game on the max setting. It's FFIX-slow at the default option. lol
Glad to see I'm not the only one who played the game for over 100h, ha ha.
The battles in the last four chapters are sooooo goooooood.

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
I really want Tomohito to compose for Bravely Third (the guy from Dark Cloud, Layton).
I think he could fit the games really well.

Or just get Revo back xD

It's almost like they're actively trying to sabotage the series. They really need to turn out that the majority of the game takes place on the moon, or some other locale. I can't toally imagine they really expect it to be ok to make us use the same world with only minor changes for the 9...10th? time

The problem is... it seems the Moon will be just like Norende village;.. nothing but a sub screen :/

What?

Revo isn't doing the soundtrack because he wasn't available, not because Squeenix was cheap.
And what is wrong with returning stuff? It's a direct sequel. And there's lots of new stuff, though there's no denying the amount of returning stuff can be quite underwhelming (though I do feel they're just keeping the best for last).

Well, okay for Revo. But for the rest ? It's a direct sequel sure, but does it need to have the exact same map except for a few new locations ? Even returning same asterisk holders ?
I really hope they're just keeping the best for last... and I really hope the Moon won't be Norende.
I absolutely loved Bravely Default, from begining to end. That's why I hope that Square Enix would take it seriously and would built a true sequel with a higher budget. Seeing the same stuff doesn't make me feel good about it :/
It just seems that the town will remains as small as they were and such things.

Yep, that's the way I feel. I remember that Bravely Default could've sold a lot more in Japan, if it wasn't for the low marketing budget and the embarassing lack of stock the first weeks. Not to mention their unwilingness to localize it !

7702ce0586.jpg

I don't feel like doing merchandises means they believe in it. They would believe in that game if they made it a bigger scale project, and already announced a localization.

I think it's more down to his budget and compositional abilites (and well, what the development studio asked of him). Sampling versus studio recording, all the inefficient voice doublings and patch bleeding, recorded guitar blended with the patches, thin instrumentation, weak sampling techniques used, poor voice-leading. The list goes on.

Honestly the compositions would be 100% better if he had better orchestration abilities. The core components of the compositions could even stay the exact same.

The continuity of the series is something I like, so it doesn't bother me that there are returning characters, map, areas, etc.

I don't mind it being a direct sequel... but having the exact same area ? It just feels like they worked less on the sequel than the first game :/

That music. So they didn't even attempt to remix their original themes? Their old themes were so good, theses are just super generic.

Meh. Maybe it will sound better in-game, but so far it sounds like a big downgrade from Revo.

After playing through that world
five times
in Bravely Default, the last thing I want is going back to it once again. Hopefully they are indeed keeping the best for last.

Top Bottom