• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Breaking Bad - Season 4 - Sundays on AMC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Salsa

THE-Pink-Dagger said:
Well I don't agree with anything you said, plus Walt saved Jesse's life several times.

Walt used Jesse many, many times before and clearly doesnt give a shit about him anymore. I wont deny that he probably cared a bit more for him back in the golden day, but when shit turned south he immediatly stopped caring. He hasnt shown anything supporting your theory of "he thinks of Jesse as a son" in this entire season man, quite the opposite.

Jesse having respect for Walt and caring about him is a whole other deal though, as it was shown. Jesse is much more of a victim than Walt is, cause he just doesnt know any better.

Jesse doesnt have anyone in his life other than his girl, his buddies and Walt. He's in a very different situation.

impruv

Neo Member
Viewt said:
Walt's not a good guy, people. A good person does not:
1. Poison children
2. Kill people and feel nothing
3. Manipulate people constantly

You know what a good man would've done? He would've taken Gretchen's money, paid for his treatment with ease and then would've gone back to work when he went into remission.

EDIT: And let's also remember that Gus never said he was DEFINITELY going to kill Walt's family. He just said that he was out, and that he couldn't talk to Jesse anymore. Walt could've left things along, gone back to his war chest full of cash, and cut his losses. But he wanted to get back at Gus for putting him on his knees in the desert. This was all about revenge.

You know, like a bad guy.

No, Gus specifically said he would deal with Hank and that Walt was not to interfere. But he did, and that is why he had to kill him otherwise, Gus would go after his family.

SalsaShark said:
Walt used Jesse many, many times before and clearly doesnt give a shit about him anymore. I wont deny that he probably cared a bit more for him back in the golden day, but when shit turned south he immediatly stopped caring. He hasnt shown anything supporting your theory of "he thinks of Jesse as a son" in this entire season man, quite the opposite.

Jesse having respect for Walt and caring about him is a whole other deal though, as it was shown. Jesse is much more of a victim than Walt is, cause he just doesnt know any better.

It really is stunning, this season, now that we know the truth. He's all "You'll end up in a barrel in Mexico" and we're all "FUCK YOU, WALT" and then he has that argument with Jesse and we're all "Aw, Waltie! I knew you loved him!!" but in reality he probably hasn't changed at all. He still thinks Jesse is expendable, he's still probably just a little bitch about Jesse working with Mike and Gus.

Fuck you, Walter White.

Salsa

Jesse is just stupid, lonley, and beyond troubled. Anyone can push that kid around to wherever they want, as it was proven by both Gus and Walt. Its sad. He was incredibly weak this season (not that it doesnt justify, with him killing a dude and all).

I get that Walt is a bad guy but I don't think he sees Jesse as expendable, he's stuck his neck out for that kid so many times. The only thing he cares more about is his own family. In the end it may well come down to that.

Gary Whitta said:
That this show can make so many people root for and sympathize with a mass drug producing multiple murderer just shows you how fucking amazing it is.

Multiple murderer, apart from Gale, I can't think of any unjustified killings.

Krazy 8: scum, was planning on killing him anyway
Emilio: scum as well
Gale: good guy, but it was either his life or Walt's (tough choice, isn't it?! who wouldnt do it, honestly?!)
Two guys who were going to kill Jesse: he saved Jesse's life.
Gus: well, obvious, duh
Tyrus: scum as well
The two guys in the lab at the end: scum since they worked for Gus
Tuco Salamanca: big scum, do any of you remember the flashback scene in Season 3 where he almost drowns one of the twins, and then he worked for Don Eladio.
Jane: Technically, he didn't kill her, he just didn't do anything, plus she was a bad person.

I think that's about it. :D

Gary Whitta said:
I get that Walt is a bad guy but I don't think he sees Jesse as expendable, he's stuck his neck out for that kid so many times. The only thing he cares more about is his own family. In the end it may well come down to that.

If that's true, he hasn't genuinely shown it in quite a while.

Salsa

Gary Whitta said:

I disagree, at this point in Walt's "survival mode" he clearly made a distinction between people, other than his family he sees every single person as an opportunity to save himself, he hasnt show any kind of honest care for another human being this entire season. Not saying he wont have a "reality check" and get a moment to think about the shit he's pulling and the people he's hurting, or face Jesse about it and realize his mistakes, but you are your true self in the heat of the moment.

What an awesome episode and finale. The music for this show is just amazing. Whoever picks it should win an award.

Also, the only thing i could see the next season being about is either, Jesse finding out about Walt poisoning Brock(if he actually did) or Gus's team looking for revenge or something.

It'd be interesting to see Jesse somehow have another confrontation with Hank that turns into a shootout. Maybe Hank finds a clue that makes him think Jesse either is or closely connected to Heisenberg. And Walt's nearby while Jesse and Hank are trying to kill each other.

IMACOMPUTA

Alright, maybe I don't think Walt is a good guy.
But -- I can see the humanity in him and his decisions, and that makes me sympathize for him.

I've been in a situation where I fucked up, and could either come clean and get out of it, or minimize my blame and consequence and take a risk of ultimately making the situation extremely worse. Who hasn't?

Also, everyone is questioning the morals of someone sympathizing for Walt, and condemning him at the same time.. What's that say about your morals? He's human. He's making mistakes. He's fucking up. He didnt intend on things turning out this way. You don't feel bad for the guy at all?

kehs

Banned
Paches-EJ- said:
Just listened to the finale podcast. Is it just me or is this host (Kelley Dixon?) a complete moron. Damn she is dumb.

I thought it was a dude with a high voice.

BenjaminBirdie said:
Why are there still "spoilers" in this thread?

Because they didn't oust Captain Pinkman yet?

I wouldn't be surprised if the FBI being interested in Jesse for that ricin deal might have them keeping their eye on him. Next season he works out a deal with the FBI to take down Walt or finds out Walt poisoned him and goes to the DEA and helps Hank take him down. Gus and Mike were the only people keeping Jesse off drugs. Hopefully he doesn't drop back into that lifestyle now.

Grinchy

Banned
You know where another good front for a meth lab would be?

Underneath a car wash. They already buy a bunch of chemicals.

Salsa

IMACOMPUTA said:
Alright, maybe I don't think Walt is a good guy.
But -- I can see the humanity in him and his decisions, and that makes me sympathize for him.

I've been in a situation where I fucked up, and could either come clean and get out of it, or minimize my blame and consequence and take a risk of ultimately making the situation extremely worse. Who hasn't?

Also, everyone is questioning the morals of someone sympathizing for Walt, and condemning him at the same time.. What's that say about your morals? He's human. He's making mistakes. He's fucking up. He didnt intend on things turning out this way. You don't feel bad for the guy at all?

I feel sorry for him for being so fucking wrong all the time and not realizing it, i feel bad for him letting stuff like his ego get in the way of his actions and end up in hurting other people, i dont feel bad, everything that happened to him was a consequence of his own actions. People make mistakes, but they dont make decisions to get into a situation as fucked as that on the first place.

PersonaX

e9ayxu.jpg

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
Gary Whitta said:
The death of Gus and destruction of the laundry has got to make Hank feel like he was definitely on the right track. The DEA should finally see that too. Gus's laptop may have all kinds of stuff that ties him to Walt. Then again he is too smart for that.
I'd like to believe that, but this is also the show that let Gale take home notes on a criminal fucking conspiracy.

Man, now that we've lost Gus, we've also lost all the Los Pollos Hermanos stuff from the show too. Gus, LPH, the Winnebago, the super lab, the Aztek....fuck man, this show burns its idols quick and often.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
I feel that Walt does hold Jesse's breaking of the "won't cook without each other" code against him. Going in, they agreed that was the best way to keep each other alive. But once Jesse decided to fall in together with Gus and Mike, he fucked over Walt.

But seriously, this is all Ted's fault.

Dragon

Banned
THE-Pink-Dagger said:
Multiple murderer, apart from Gale, I can't think of any unjustified killings.

Jane: Technically, he didn't kill her, he just didn't do anything, plus she was a bad person.

I think that's about it. :D

Why exactly was Jane a bad person again? Because she did drugs? There was never a moment where she actively hurt ANYONE besides herself. She was not a bad person at all and Walt was not justified in letting her die in the slightest.

You talk about the actual outcomes but you forgot all the intentions.

Intent to get Jesse on his side: poison an innocent six year old.
Intent to figure out if there were any thugs in his house: call the next door neighbor and make up an excuse so she can check it out.
Intent to kill Gus: who cares who else is in the periphery?

Seriously I don't get why people are defending his actions. They are not justifiable and he is becoming more and more of a sociopath.

Salsa

TheBranca18 said:
Why exactly was Jane a bad person again? Because she did drugs? There was never a moment where she actively hurt ANYONE besides herself. She was not a bad person at all and Walt was not justified in letting her die in the slightest.

You talk about the actual outcomes but you forgot all the intentions.

Intent to get Jesse on his side: poison an innocent six year old.
Intent to figure out if there were any thugs in his house: call the next door neighbor and make up an excuse so she can check it out.
Intent to kill Gus: who cares who else is in the periphery?

Seriously I don't get why people are defending his actions. They are not justifiable and he is becoming more and more of a sociopath.

he just wants so hard for Walt to be good

Persona7 said:
Goodbye AMC, see you next year!

walking dead?

Blader

BenjaminBirdie said:
lol yup!

Oh wait, Hell On Wheels looks interesting.

But god, all those Walking Dead commercials. It's like eating at Nobu while people hand you flyers for fucking McDonalds.

Apparently, it's not good.

fuck you guys, i still love walt
he's in way over his head and does what he has to do to survive
he did some pretty fucked up shit, but it was always to save his ass or his family.
yeah, he manipulated jesse, but how else would he have gotten him to help?

great finale, two-face moment was waaaaaaay stupid tho.
saw the 'lily of the valley' reveal coming from a mile away too.

She blackmailed him. Plus, it's her own damn fault for OD'ing.

scar tissue said:
he did some pretty fucked up shit, but it was always to save his ass or his family.

how did jesse help?

he could have killed gus without poisoning broc

SalsaShark said:
he just wants so hard for Walt to be good

walking dead?
^how is walking dead? Right now Im watching Breaking Bad (was watching), The Office, and Arrested Development. Was thinkong of starting Walking Dead or Boardwalk Empire (Maybe Game of Thrones.)

fifasnipe2224 said:
^how is walking dead? Right now Im watching Breaking Bad (was watching), The Office, and Arrested Development. Was thinkong of starting Walking Dead or Boardwalk Empire (Maybe Game of Thrones.)

Stick with the last one. Walking Dead is Walking Dreck. Haven't tried Boardwalk but I hear it's more like Boredwalk.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
BenjaminBirdie said:
"A junkie little rata. What a reputation to leave behind."

I was thinking of Gus's line, and thought about rewording it for her, but you've done nice work. A+ Would Recommend

TheBranca18 said:
Walt said it himself, she was fucking poison to Jess.

Got him hooked on w/e shit she was taking (I forgot, was it crack or heroin?).
Her eyes fucking lite up when Jess told her how much Walt owed him.
She takes over and tries to blackmail Walt into giving them the money (which Jess is currently unable to handle correctly because he is addicted to the drugs she introduced to him).
The second Walt brings the money she goes after it like a fucking tiger. It was VERY CLEAR that she was planing on using Jess up for her own enjoyment and benefit.

By NOT stepping in and saving her he was allowing this poison to get out of Jess's life. Now look at Jess ... still being used but at least now he is clean and has a good thing going with a good family.

fifasnipe2224 said:
Game of Thrones > Boardwalk Empire >>>>>> Walking Dead

Though the difference in quality between GoT and Boardwalk is pretty miniscule I think

Team Walt. The guy was dying and did what he had to to provide for his family. As things got out of control he did what he had to to survive. He's not evil, he's any of us in that same fucked-up situation. That's the genius of the show, it shows what everyday people can be capable of when they get out of their depth.

Dragon

Banned
scar tissue said:

Okay.

scar tissue said:

To survive? If he wanted to survive he could have taken the money from Gretchen. But he has this thing called pride which inevitably is going to be his downfall. Another example someone else mentioned earlier was getting drunk and mentioning how Gale was probably a student not the master to Hank. What a complete and utter stupid move.

scar tissue said:

Killing Gus was only necessary because he didn't get out of the business when he had the chance. He did not have to go into business with Gus, he INSISTED, even when Gus wouldn't hear him out the first time. It wasn't about survival, it was about his stupid pride and his insecurities surrounding how things ended with Gretchen and that company he helped to form.

scar tissue said:

Hey Jesse, I know we've had our differences but they threatened to murder me and my family and kill you as well. We need to kill Gus. That's about self-defense rather than poisoning an innocent child.

Salsa

fifasnipe2224 said:

I was a bit disappointed on the first season. Big fan of the comic book though, so i'll be watching. Its not bad by any means, my expectations were just elsewhere.

MikeTyson

Banned
Holepunch said:
Am I the only one who's they revealed Walt to be the one who poisoned Brock? It had the same flaws as it did 2 weeks ago.

-Walt didn't know who Brock was
-Walt didn't know Brock's significance to Jesse.
-Walt didn't know where Brock lived
-How exactly did Walt get the poison into Brock?
-How did Walt steal Jesse's cigarette to make him think it was ricin?

The only time I recall Brock and Walt being anywhere near each other is the time he was on the couch and Walt went to visit Jesse. He only saw the kid briefly. Right after that he got tased and dragged into the desert so it's not like he could've followed the kid home from there.

Is there any scenes I'm forgetting or am I suppose to assume all these flaws got taken care of off-camera?
Uh, it was as easy as reading into Walt's reaction to Jesse's news of Brock being poisoned. Coming from someone who put countless hours into LA Noire :)

Gary Whitta said:
Team Walt. The guy was dying and did what he had to to provide for his family. As things got out of control he did what he had to to survive. He's not evil, he's any of us in that same fucked-up situation. That's the genius of the show, it shows what everyday people can be capable of when they get out of their depth.

lol wut

You're saying you'd turn to meth cooking instead of get a high paying research job?

No wait, you're saying that's what we would ALL do.

holy shit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom