• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Breaking Bad - Season 4 - Sundays on AMC

Status
Not open for further replies.
BenjaminBirdie said:
"Make a lot of money, that's the way to go" might be the worst rap lyric of all time.

I love it.
IDYab.gif

tedtropy

$50/hour, but no kissing on the lips and colors must be pre-separated
I tried to pinpoint what is is I love about this show so much and I think it comes down to the fact that it's never been shy about lingering on a moment, really letting you soak in the detail of a scene or emotion. It's a nice break from the jarring, constantly cutting, procedural shows on these days.

I know that's probably not a revolutionary view, I just find it funny that I like the show for sort of the same reasons I do 2001: A Space Odyssey...

tedtropy said:
I tried to pinpoint what is is I love about this show so much and I think it comes down to the fact that it's never been shy about lingering on a moment, really letting you soak in the detail of a scene or emotion. It's a nice break from the jarring, constantly cutting, procedural shows on these days.

I know that's probably not a revolutionary view, I just find it funny that I like the show for sort of the same reasons I do 2001: A Space Odyssey...

Strange. I love Breaking Bad but hate 2001.

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
_dementia said:
What's there to hate about 2001? nothing happens.

Actually, everything happens.

And I see a lot of people interpreted Jesse in this episode as not wanting to be alone. I saw it more as him trying to go into sensory overload so he didn't have to dwell on the past couple days. Maybe that's the same thing as not wanting to be alone but regardless, Jesse is fucked up and something bad is going to happen. They show already did mopey, depressed Jesse after Jane died, so I don't think we'll see that again. My money is on out-of-control, violent Jesse.

I knew that was Cleavon!!

Oh shit, I knew I recognized him from somewhere. Props to that dude, for getting a recurring role on two of the best tv shows ever.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
I'd like to know what was the relationship between Mike and the mexican dude that got offed. He seemed pretty moved by his death for a stone cold killer.

Sotha Sil

Funky Papa said:
I'd like to know what was the relationship between Mike and the mexican dude that got offed. He seemed pretty moved by his death for a stone cold killer.

I think it's Gus nonchalant henchman throat-slitting that "moved" him. But I could be wrong.

Drazgul

I like how Jesse got that expensive sound system and yet the rest of the decor is total crap.

How much is Jesse getting paid anyway, IIRC Walter's getting a million each month?

Drazgul said:
I like how Jesse got that expensive sound system and yet the rest of the decor is total crap.

How much is Jesse getting paid anyway, IIRC Walter's getting a million each month?
I think they're going halfsies, 1.5 million each after 3 month's work.

dave is ok

aztek is ok
_dementia said:
I think they're going halfsies, 1.5 million each after 3 month's work.
Walt got an extension to 15 million for a year last season, but I really seriously doubt the situation will last that long.

I kinda don't like what they did with Gus. He was the most careful mofo out there: the professional's professional. He didn't even want to acknowledge Walt in the beginning; he knew he was an amateur. Then he gave him a chance, which is understandable, but it was inexplicable that he kept forgiving Walt's missteps and mistakes, letting Walt get closer to him, and letting himself get dragged deeper and deeper. And now he finds himself in a situation of helplessness. Of course, I'm sure he's looking for a replacement, but until then, all he can do is wait and hope that his henchmen are on top of shit.

Battersea Power Station said:
I kinda don't like what they did with Gus. He was the most careful mofo out there: the professional's professional. He didn't even want to acknowledge Walt in the beginning; he knew he was an amateur. Then he gave him a chance, which is understandable, but it was inexplicable that he kept forgiving Walt's missteps and mistakes, letting Walt get closer to him, and letting himself get dragged deeper and deeper. And now he finds himself in a situation of helplessness. Of course, I'm sure he's looking for a replacement, but until then, all he can do is wait and hope that his henchmen are on top of shit.
Maybe they will offer some explanation of Gus' actions. Maybe he's getting the squeeze from the cartel and needs Walt to produce at all costs.

Vlad

_dementia said:
Maybe they will offer some explanation of Gus' actions. Maybe he's getting the squeeze from the cartel and needs Walt to produce at all costs.

Well yeah, that's exactly what's going on. It was almost all covered in Season 3, really.

Gus was originally working for the Cartel, basically acting as their head of operations for that particular reason. They were supplying him with his meth, since he didn't have a cook of his own. Apparently at some point he met Gale, and started setting up the superlab as a way to break away from having to rely on the Cartel for product. Meanwhile, Saul set up the meet between Gus and Walt so Walt could unload the remainder of his meth.

After purchasing it, Gus gave some to Gale to test out, and Gale confirmed that it was way more pure than he could ever come up with, prompting Gus to hire Walt as his main chemist.

Finally having his own chemist (and a backup in Gale) and lab, Gus sets up the twins and Juan Bolsa to be taken out, allowing him to break free of the cartel. However, by the end of the season, the cartel was already starting to strike back by holding Gus' chemical supplier hostage.

Knowing this, we can see why he keeps Walt around for now: he has to. Without Walt, he's got no steady supply of meth other than whatever some random street-level producers (think Jesse and Emilio back during the pilot) can bring in, which won't be nearly as high-quality or in sufficient quantities.

It's actually kind of interesting to see how Gus parallels Walt in some ways. In both situations, their pride looks to be their eventual downfall. Gus could have easily just stuck with Gale and his 96% pure meth. Gale had the knowledge to produce stuff in large quantities that more than enough quality to satisfy Gus' customers, but his apparent desire for the absolute best product available has now ended up getting him and Walt stuck with each other.

Vlad said:
It's actually kind of interesting to see how Gus parallels Walt in some ways. In both situations, their pride looks to be their eventual downfall. Gus could have easily just stuck with Gale and his 96% pure meth. Gale had the knowledge to produce stuff in large quantities that more than enough quality to satisfy Gus' customers, but his apparent desire for the absolute best product available has now ended up getting him and Walt stuck with each other.

It was kind of Gale that pushed Gus in that direction, too.

Vlad

Neverender said:
It was kind of Gale that pushed Gus in that direction, too.

Yes, Gale did make his case for Walt and sealed his own fate that way, but the final decision was still Gus'. Gus had Walt absolutely pegged the first time he laid eyes on him ("you are not a careful man") yet he went against his better judgement for that extra 3% of purity.

The thing is, we don't know how much that 3% really is worth. Sure, Gale said that it was a huge difference, but I wonder if it's the kind of thing that really wouldn't have been noticable to the vast majority of Gus' customer base.

Zeliard

Vlad said:
Yes, Gale did make his case for Walt and sealed his own fate that way, but the final decision was still Gus'. Gus had Walt absolutely pegged the first time he laid eyes on him ("you are not a careful man") yet he went against his better judgement for that extra 3% of purity.

The thing is, we don't know how much that 3% really is worth. Sure, Gale said that it was a huge difference, but I wonder if it's the kind of thing that really wouldn't have been noticable to the vast majority of Gus' customer base.

I think it's something like the 96% is a level of purity they would have never considered to be inferior - that is until they got a taste of Walt's 99%+ pure stuff. Now that they've had that they probably don't want to settle for anything less. I imagine Gus charges more for it, too, since the blue meth in past seasons sold for much more on the streets than the usual meth.

-Mikey-

Just finished episode 2.

I was really bummed when I found out Mad Men wouldn't be around this season. Don't care anymore. Only two episodes into the season and I really think this is the best season yet. Jesse is amazing, the writing is amazing, loving the camera work this year. This is one of the few shows where I'm in the dark and don't really know what will happen next.

Also, the Left 4 Dead / RE4 / World at War talk....I said wow.

-Mikey- said:
Just finished episode 2.

I was really bummed when I found out Mad Men wouldn't be around this season. Don't care anymore. Only two episodes into the season and I really think this is the best season yet. Jesse is amazing, the writing is amazing, loving the camera work this year. This is one of the few shows where I'm in the dark and don't really know what will happen next.

That discussion was written for GAF, I tells ya!

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
-Mikey- said:

Probably the first time a tv show or movie has talked about video games and not made me facepalm.

I thought it was pretty cringeworthy too. I guess whats important is Jesse's take on it, which is "I agree". JesseCrying.gif

This will probably won't go to well, but I thought Skylar was great in this episode. Walt's paranoia with the answering machine and the Carwash scene brought her to a somewhat likable territory.

Spire said:
Probably the first time a tv show or movie has talked about video games and not made me facepalm.
Agreed. Only little complaint was the games they talk about are a little old now, but it still worked.

Amir0x

Banned
Spire said:
My money is on out-of-control, violent Jesse.

been predicting this since the second he shot Gale last season. I said Jesse was already doing the "I'm the bad guy" shtick after pulling himself together from therapy, but this was a line that he shouldn't have crossed were it not for Walt... and it's one that has obviously consumed him.

Although I'd certainly say jesse definitely doesn't want to be alone. Keeping himself busy is drowning out the noise of his demons, reminding him of what he has done. There's no finer moment illustrating that then the brilliant last shot where everyone being gone, not even the music is silencing his dark thoughts... and he breaks down.

kehs

Banned
Amir0x said:
been predicting this since the second he shot Gale last season. I said Jesse was already doing the "I'm the bad guy" shtick after pulling himself together from therapy, but this was a line that he shouldn't have crossed were it not for Walt... and it's one that has obviously consumed him.

Although I'd certainly say jesse definitely doesn't want to be alone. Keeping himself busy is drowning out the noise of his demons, reminding him of what he has done. There's no finer moment illustrating that then the brilliant last shot where everyone being gone, not even the music is silencing his dark thoughts... and he breaks down.

So you're saying he's possesed, and by the end of the season he will be de-poltergeisted by keanu reeves??

Puddles

Banned
Zeliard said:
It's fun to watch Skyler sinking deeper into the shit. She's been compared to Carmela Soprano but they're not quite the same since Skyler continually and purposefully gets herself more and more involved in her husband's business. Carmela was complicit in that she knew what Tony was about, but Skyler is taking a much more active role.

The main difference is that Carmela was one of the most awesome characters ever, and Skyler fucked Ted.

My prediction for Jesse throughout the rest of the season is quite the opposite of some others. People are saying he will be out of control and all that. I think he will have his head on straight and take control when things get serious. Walt bailed him out last season and I think this season Jesse will play that role.

That will happen as soon as he comes to terms with what he did and isn't still broken by it, like he is now.

xbhaskarx

Some of you are completely missing the point with the Left 4 Dead / RE4 / World at War conversation. It's not supposed to be accurate, it's supposed to be hilarious, and it is. Badger has had quite a few scenes like that (my favorite is the opening from Better Call Saul), I thought Skinny Pete really did great there.

"Dude you are so historically retarded."

"At least the zombies in Left 4 Dead clock a respectable 40."

lol

tokkun said:
That's what made it seem real. Ever hear non-nerds talk about games?

actually i just think all videogame discussion "serious" or not sounds retarded

thats why theres messageboards for this shit so people dont have to talk about them in real life

xbhaskarx said:
Some of you are completely missing the point with the Left 4 Dead / RE4 / World at War conversation. It's not supposed to be accurate, it's supposed to be hilarious, and it is. Badger has had quite a few scenes like that (my favorite is the opening from Better Call Saul), I thought Skinny Pete really did great there.
Totally, they're stoned as fuck. Love how Badger refers to Leon as 'undead.'

"That chick, the one you gotta rescue? She's smokin', bro. And then you're like, the last undead dude on Earth, so how can you not be dippin' into that!?"

Wray

So finally watched episode 2 last night. Not sure where the negative feedback is coming about how slow that episode was. I thought s04e02 was one of the best episodes yet. Jessie's party scenes were epic. Aaron Paul is so going to win another Emmy.

Wray said:
So finally watched episode 2 last night. Not sure where the negative feedback is coming about how slow that episode was. I thought s04e02 was one of the best episodes yet.
Me too, that was such a nailbiter of an episode. Tension was through the roof.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom