• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Breaking Bad - Season 5, Part 2 - The Final Eight Episodes - Sundays on AMC - OT2

Status
Not open for further replies.

iammeiam

True. I agree with you.

Walt could have killed them, by not calling off the Nazis, and actually helping in the ambush. The fact that he called it off, and was willing to turn himself in - means that he didn't want to Hank to die. It really wasn't a matter of, he was caught - and there was nothing he could do about it. That's not true. He could. He had access to a hit squad he could call in.

Walt's not stupid; he had to know Hank's death would cost him Skyler and the kids. I don't think he particularly wanted Hank dead, but I do think part of his meltdown post-Hank-death is knowing that he'd almost certainly just lost his whole family.He'd never have called a hit in on Hank because the end result, even if he didn't go to jail, would be worse for him.

NotLiquid

I... just found out that my friend overseas died of cancer. Ironically enough, he introduced me to Breaking Bad. He loved the show, and one of the things he always liked about it as a fellow cancer patient was Walter's perseverance.

It really sucks he won't be here to see it through. I'm going to miss him.

Urgh. Cancer is a bitch.

Vyer

I find the attempts to exonerate characters like Sky and Jesse as odd as the attempts to exonerate Walt.

All this #team stuff is terrible.

I... just found out that my friend overseas died of cancer. Ironically enough, he introduced me to Breaking Bad. He loved the show, and one of the things he always liked about it as a fellow cancer patient was Walter's perseverance.

Urgh. Cancer is a bitch.

That sucks. Sorry to hear that.

I'm not sure how so. If he realized it, then he has taken responsibility for it, even if he only admits it to himself. But since we can't read his mind, we can only take account of the indication of his actions, where he puts the blame on jesse and tells others that it wasn't him. The latter may just be pragmatism, but his spitefully telling jesse about jane seems to indicate that he blames Jesse for it. Otherwise, he's lying to himself while knowing it's a lie.

Maybe he realized it then immedaitely rationalized it. "Oh no, what have I....No, what has JESSE done?!"

That's exactly what he did. Even seeing Hank killed in front of him wasn't enough to get him to own up to it. He wrecked Jesse because he put the blame entirely on him.

bluehat9

RIP Hank. You went against direct orders of superiors, wasted police resources, abused your own position of authority, conducted illegal and rogue operations, and ignored other dea matters that you were supposed to be supervising. All to catch a man who had been out of the game for months and to stroke your own ego. Finally, a true hero on Breaking Bad! Of course, your greatness would have only grown if you had your wish for Jesse to meet with Walt, have Walt confess, and then have Jesse be killed by a Heisenberg henchman.

Oh, and you didn't even have a panic attack at the end! (probably due to all the minerals around in the desert having a calming influence on you, amirite?)

I find the attempts to exonerate characters like Sky and Jesse as odd as the attempts to exonerate Walt.

All this #team stuff is terrible.

No one's trying to exonerate them. People are simply rebutting the rather bizarre claim that Skyler and Jesse are just as bad, or worse, than Walt.

inm8num2

The show reminds me of the ending of Primal Fear.

"There never was a Heisenberg."
"No, there never was a Walt."

Walt always had that darkness inside him, born of frustration, anger, disappointment, setbacks, shitty circumstances, etc. When he faced his own mortality he began to let it out, and it took him down a very scary path.

Urgh. Cancer is a bitch.

So so sorry. FUCK cancer of course. I really hope you feel better asap.

Mononoke

Banned
Walt's not stupid; he had to know Hank's death would cost him Skyler and the kids. I don't think he particularly wanted Hank dead, but I do think part of his meltdown post-Hank-death is knowing that he'd almost certainly just lost his whole family.He'd never have called a hit in on Hank because the end result, even if he didn't go to jail, would be worse for him.

Sure. Everything Walt does can be brought back to him doing it for his own reasons. Absolutely. I mean literally, every single thing can be interpreted as him thinking about himself.

I just find it interesting though, because like I said a couple pages back - I never thought Walt was capable of turning himself in. Ever. I always imagined Walt would be the kind of person, that has so much ego/hubris, that he could not give up his freedom. He could not give up his control. Control has always been a big thing with this character.

So I was really surprised when Walt told Skyler he was going to turn himself in. And then when he actually did turn himself into custody with Hank out in that field.

RIP Hank. You went against direct orders of superiors, wasted police resources, abused your own position of authority, conducted illegal and rogue operations, and ignored other dea matters that you were supposed to be supervising. All to catch a man who had been out of the game for months and to stroke your own ego. Finally, a true hero on Breaking Bad! Of course, your greatness would have only grown if you had your wish for Jesse to meet with Walt, have Walt confess, and then have Jesse be killed by a Heisenberg henchman.

Oh, and you didn't even have a panic attack at the end! (probably due to all the minerals around in the desert having a calming influence on you, amirite?)
Two thumbs up!

rekameohs

Banned
Listening to the podcast.

It's pretty cool and fitting that the final scene filmed in the series was the Walt/Jesse in the RV flashback.

Mononoke

Banned
Hank went out like a boss. I would have been crying if that were me.

I find it kind of weird, why they had that scene with Hank being so ruthless about using Jesse. I'm talking about two episodes ago, where he tells Gomez he doesn't care if Jesse dies. I personally understand why Hank feels that way. But to highlight that scene, kind of struck me as odd. As it kind of painted a darker side to Hank.

And then contrast to his death, where he goes out being this incorruptible and principled person. I wonder why they made the decision to have that scene. Especially leading up to his death.

This made me crack a smile.

inm8num2

From Aaron Paul's RS interview that Cornballer posted.

In the first episode, Walt killed someone, and it's soon clear that he enjoys violence. Jesse doesn't kill anyone until later, but he seems much more wrecked by his one murder. Do you think of Jesse as being a better human being than Walt?
Oh, absolutely. I think Walt always had Heisenberg deep inside of him. It's like the expression, "Money doesn't change people, money just shows who people truly are inside." I think this has always been a part of Walt.

Jesse hung out with the wrong crowd, and he was trying to pretend that he was someone that he wasn't. That's why at the beginning – at least this is what I tell myself – he'd wear these crazy clothes – oversized pants, shirts, sweatshirts. He was kind of hiding in his own skin. And then throughout the years, he's realizing more who he truly is. His clothes started to shrink as he got his own footing. The clothes definitely started getting darker, because he was feeling in a very dark place.

Obviously Jesse is a murderer, so he's not that great of a guy. But he didn't want to be. He was kind of pushed into a corner. He pulled the trigger. Obviously that's no excuse, but I think the audience knows that's not really who he is.

Can you imagine how Jesse's life would have gone if he had never bumped into Walt, post high school?
Yeah. In my head, I would like to think his life definitely would've been much better. Do I think it would've been a great life? Not necessarily.

I mean, Walt has dragged Jesse through the dirt for the past six seasons, and now Jesse's no longer going to be manipulated by Walt. He knows that he's an evil man, and he wants to stay as far away from him as possible. So who knows what's going to happen from here?

But without Walt in his life, do I think Jesse would be in a happy relationship and buying a second home? Probably not. But I'll tell you right now, without Walt, Jesse would not be a murderer. That is certain.

So what was up with the picture of Brock and his mom hanging in the warehouse where Jesse is cooking now? I loved how he saw it from far away, and the camera pointing in that direction, but you had no idea what he was looking at until it got closer.

So what was up with the picture of Brock and his mom hanging in the warehouse where Jesse is cooking now? I loved how he saw it from far away, and the camera pointing in that direction, but you had no idea what he was looking at until it got closer.
Todd knows about Brock. Its a way of saying that if Jesse tries anything stupid, Todd and his gang will kill them.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
Did you even read what he wrote? He spoke specifically about rationalizing his behavior, which is what everyone is shitting on team Walt for. You can root for someone without attempting to rationalize, justify and lessen the severity of every shitty thing he does. Do none of you understand the difference here?

The show itself rationalizes his behavior. He does everything for reasons. The entire premise of the show is his reasoning for making meth in the first place.

If you're going to argue that people are rationalizing his behavior you also have to recognize that there are a lot of people calling him "evil." No, evil people don't care about their brother in laws and family like Walt does.

.GqueB.

Banned

Cook or they die? That's what I took away from it.

Veelk

Banned
You guys, one thing I'm having trouble is seperating Walt's regard for Jesse and Hank. He described both as family and was resistant to both of their deaths, but he could be reasoned into killing Jesse for self preservation. Hank, on the other hand, was an untouchable even after Hank did catch him. In the desert scene, Walt says nothing to Hank about his capture, but openly resents Jesse for colluding with Hank.

What seperates the two in his mind, when they're both suppose to be 'family'?

Obviously a threat.

Teach me to cook or I'll go after the only two people who still love you.

rekameohs

Banned

Jesse has to cook for the Nazis if he doesn't want them to come after Brock and Andrea.

The show itself rationalizes his behavior. He does everything for reasons. The entire premise of the show is his reasoning for making meth in the first place.

If you're going to argue that people are rationalizing his behavior you also have to recognize that there are a lot of people calling him "evil." No, evil people don't care about their brother in laws and family like Walt does.

The show itself is a debunking of Walt's rationalizations.

Vyer

No one's trying to exonerate them. People are simply rebutting the rather bizarre claim that Skyler and Jesse are just as bad, or worse, than Walt.

I agree that is bizarre too, but I'm reading a lot of stuff that seems to try and take the responsibility for their actions out of other characters' hands. That also seems an odd reading to me.

Who was calling Hank a hero by the end? He went full Ahab.

Mononoke

Banned
From Aaron Paul's RS interview that Cornballer posted.

I also wonder though, how things would have played out had Jesse not been so reckless. Where Walt would have gone, without the situations being set up by Jesse. To me, the Jesse/Walt relationship is just so interesting.

Tookay

Did you even read what he wrote? He spoke specifically about rationalizing his behavior, which is what everyone is shitting on team Walt for. You can root for someone without attempting to rationalize, justify and lessen the severity of every shitty thing he does. Do none of you understand the difference here?

KHarvey16

You believe the show is an exercise in justifying Walt's behavior? I find that absolutely bizarre. You are supposed to see Walt as a bad guy. The show is literally explaining why and how Walt has become bad.

Guess Who

Banned
I think he meant, how did they get that picture - that soon after capturing him. Either the Nazis had done intel on him prior. Or after they had Jesse captured and tortured, one of them went out and snapped a picture.

The Nazis already knew about them because Walt told them when he planned to lure Jesse to the house.

tj hazuki

Ratings
The winding-down but forever revving-up AMC drama this Sunday night drew 6.4 million total viewers, with 4.1 mil landing in the 18-49 sweet spot.

Tookay

I think he meant, how did they get that picture - that soon after capturing him. Either the Nazis had done intel on him prior. Or after they had Jesse captured and tortured, one of them went out and snapped a picture.

Didn't Walt set a trap at Brock and his mom's house earlier that day for Jesse? And the Nazis were waiting outside for him to show up, knowing those two were the bait?

oh, different opinions I guess. I thought it was a warning, an incentive to cook

He was being sarcastic.

inm8num2

Todd is hoping for a threesome with Lydia and Andrea.

Veelk

Banned

Don't you remember that walt told the nazi's to watch Andrea's house in case Jesse comes to check on them after Walt sends his phone call?

Didn't Walt set a trap at Brock and his mom's house earlier that day for Jesse? And the Nazis were waiting outside for him to show up, knowing those two were the bait?
Stop posting faster than me :mad:

You believe the show is an exercise in justifying Walt's behavior? I find that absolutely bizarre. You are supposed to see Walt as a bad guy. The show is literally explaining why and how Walt has become bad.

Haha, whatever dude. They should have called the show Breaking Badass because that's exactly what Walt is. Fuck Skyler, TEAM WALT.

Please note that I don't actually understand the show or it's subtleties or its message, I just like Walt's mean face and pithy one-liners.

I think Todd's plan the whole time was to force Jess to show him how to cook. Todd seems to have become obsessed with cooking. I wouldn't be surprised if Todd is doing all of this behind his uncle's back. If it were up to Jack he would have just put a bullet in Jesse's skull and buried him with Gomez and Ballsack. He's got $70 million he probably doesn't care about cooking so much anymore.

He was being sarcastic.

You never know. I can see someone like Todd placing it for that reason, cause he's so weird.

I think Todd's plan the whole time was to force Jess to show him how to cook. Todd seems to have become obsessed with cooking. I wouldn't be surprised if Todd is doing all of this behind his uncle's back. If it were up to Jack he would have just put a bullet in Jesse's skull and buried him with Gomez and Ballsack. He's got $70 million he probably doesn't care about cooking so much anymore.

If he keeps cooking, he can do business with the woman he idolizes.

rekameohs

Banned
Best part of the insider podcast is when Rian Johnson (the director of "Ozymandias") puts his fingers in his ears because he doesn't want to know what happens in the final two episodes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom