• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BREAKING: Insider says Xbox One has sold 41 million units.

UK Analyst Zhuge has shared on other place some sales information that may be interesting to many.

Had a quick scan of the release.

Strong performance for Switch this month. Best single month in hardware sell through for any console since December 2010. Smash Bros. had an extremely strong month with revenue notably over $200m. What's also notable is how well Nintendo first party software has performed this year, even titles that are over a year old. Installed base is now over 10.5m in the US.

PS4 had a strong year for both hardware and software. First party was strong this year and overall software was extremely healthy for the full year (Thanks Red Dead). Annual hardware sales were down compared to 2017, but higher than 2016. Will be interesting to see how the console performs in 2019.

Xbox One had a good year all things considered. Hardware was up YoY thanks to the release of the Xbox One X. Software remains healthy and I really need to stress how large the digital shares are on Xbox compared to other platforms. Global installed base now around 41m.

Full game sales were up this year but it needs to be noted how digital game add ons, services and subscriptions continue to grow and account for a larger part of the pie each year.

Overall 2018 was a positive year for the console games industry in the US.

Just to clarify, the first part of the Xbox statement is talking about US sales data.

Now Zhuge has been wrong before, but he claims that he had seen this through actual data sources from trackers, so it seems that the Xbox One is around 41 million units sold. This does show a rise up the last two years from the two years before which shows that Xbox is moving upwards, and it is likely to end the Gen before its discontinuation, post price drops for S and X to $199 and below over the next few years, to likely around 60 million, along with whatever the maverick sales

These numbers are wrong. Zhuge has no source to give him WW sales (there literally is no way he can do this), and MS will be shutting that down themselves in a few months, just wait. 41 million is literally impossible unless Microsoft sold nothing the last 5 months.

E3 we will finally hear something about sales numbers so just wait.

Evilms

Banned
54a2190cc4321766ad9224f0a01163e920190125143447.png

nowhat

I'm going to code a script soon that hides all threads that have got a 'BREAKING' in the title.
Here's a quick and dirty version:

JavaScript:
[].forEach.call(document.getElementsByClassName('structItem'), function(item) {
    if (/breaking/i.test(item.getElementsByTagName('a')[0].innerHTML)) item.style.display = 'none';
});

Just a create a bookmarklet out of it, or make a Greasemonkey script from it to have it run automatically on this site/the gaming forum.

Last edited:

sublimit

Banned
I didn't say that. I said wait till E3 for numbers.
I didn't said you said that. :) It was a genuine question since i don't remember them giving away any numbers in previous E3s and i will find it a bit hypocritical and not very trustworthy if all of a sudden they change their stance.

Three

So those reports that came out in October about it being below 40 were probably true.

These numbers are wrong. Zhuge has no source to give him WW sales (there literally is no way he can do this), and MS will be shutting that down themselves in a few months, just wait. 41 million is literally impossible unless Microsoft sold nothing the last 5 months.

E3 we will finally hear something about sales numbers so just wait.

What and where are you getting the numbers for 5 months ago?
I remember a bunch of people pointed to Zhuge to debunk EAs numbers months ago now Zhuge doesn't know the numbers either even though he is saying he has seen internal trackers.

What's going to happen at E3? Unless you actually know something that's going to happen to reveal numbers what's the point of telling everybody to wait for E3?

Last edited:
MS did screw the pooch with it's disastrous reveal and the ridiculous focus on multimedia. Nothing but to blame themselves here, but Im glad that they at least made great efforts on fixing their mistakes. Bring on the next Xbox MS!

meirl

Banned
Oh. A negative Xbox rumor from Zhuge? Nothing new. It’s bullshit as usual. Just tries to make Xbox look bad.

Shin

Banned
Is Zhuge a Hellpoint Dev UK analyst?.
He saw from from what they think they might have from what those trackers think they might have, because to see all charts from all around the globe while not being MS themselves seems far-fetched.
If MS are doing good then great on them, they deserve it for XBOX XO, BC and perhaps listening to consumers and learning from their mistakes.

NahaNago

Seems likely, XBO sales have basically plateaued but Switch is still going strong as it's the newer console. Microsoft is going to finish in last place again this gen.

I'm kinda mixed on if the Switch will keep selling at such a great speed. They had mostly just Smash last year which did amazing but I'm kinda wondering now what comes out this year that could help keep the momentum going. I know they have Bayonetta, Animal Crossing, and Luigi's mansion in the works but those don't have dates on em , Metroid has been postponed to Switch 2. Maybe Pokemon could keep it going. Plus with all of these new versions of the xbox one I figure that will boost it's console sales quite a bit. So I could see Xbox holding off the Switch for awhile.

I didn't said you said that. :) It was a genuine question since i don't remember them giving away any numbers in previous E3s and i will find it a bit hypocritical and not very trustworthy if all of a sudden they change their stance.

How would it be hypocritical?

Seems likely, XBO sales have basically plateaued but Switch is still going strong as it's the newer console. Microsoft is going to finish in last place again this gen.

PS3 was last previous Gen, estimates with large margins of error are not reliable, and the current estimates require the 360 to stop selling after 2014, which doesn't make sense.

Also How can the Xbox One be third-place this gen when Wii U is third place? Many of you guys seem to change your minds on whether the Wii U exists or not based on Xbox.

You will get nothing at E3, no point waiting.

So those reports that came out in October about it being below 40 were probably true.

What and where are you getting the numbers for 5 months ago?
I remember a bunch of people pointed to Zhuge to debunk EAs numbers months ago now Zhuge doesn't know the numbers either even though he is saying he has seen internal trackers.

What's going to happen at E3? Unless you actually know something that's going to happen to reveal numbers what's the point of telling everybody to wait for E3?

Remember during last year when MS debunked EA's numbers? Now they didn't say anything against Zhuge. :D

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
You won't get MS talking numbers at E3. Have they ever talk units or MAU metrics on stage at E3?

Never the less, it will be a weird E3. Unless Sony is being cagey and will hold their own off site presentation or Sony Direct, E3 is basically MS and the usual big third party co's like EA, UBI and such. And Nintendo will have their Nintendo Direct video.

You will get nothing at E3, no point waiting.

Except you will.

Numbers will be at E3, along with another announcement. All I'm saying. Of course I expect people to not believe that until E3, but we'll be coming back to this thread.

You won't get MS talking numbers at E3. Have they ever talk units or MAU metrics on stage at E3?

Keep believing that. Also your second sentence is irrelevant. That kind of conclusion jumping makes no sense at the end of the gen.

demigod

Except you will.

Numbers will be at E3, along with another announcement. All I'm saying. Of course I expect people to not believe that until E3, but we'll be coming back to this thread.

Nope, not waiting for E3 numbers and nobody except you will. Go make a poll about it.

Vawn

Banned
Oh. A negative Xbox rumor from Zhuge? Nothing new. It’s bullshit as usual. Just tries to make Xbox look bad.

Lol what? Do you really believe that number is far off? It is aligned around e everything else we've heard. It may actually be a tad high.

Is this 'wait for E3' the new 'wait for the /build'? Make little sense wait for no info.

There will be info. That's not a guess there WILL be info.

Of course I expect people to still sling around that until E3, but this will be a fun thread to bring back up.

Fake

Of course I expect people to still sling around that until E3, but this will be a fun thread to bring back up.
On the other hand I'll not bring back the thread up if you're wrong. Hate those things.

Vawn

Banned

Are you a Microsoft insider? No? You just "know" MS will, for the first time this generation come out with Xbox One sales data? And you can't wait to rebump this thread if you are right and never speak of it if you're not.

MS will, for the first time this generation come out with Xbox One sales data?

For one you liked the above post without reading it based on this response.

Secondly, this response is false as MS did announce numbers earlier this gen. But I don't expect several people here to actually keep track of Xbox news as this has been a PS focused board for years now.

Thirdly, This has nothing to do with whether or not they announced at E3 before, they WILL announce numbers (they may even announce it earlier but unlikely), they have many end of gen announcements to make, 2020 is going to be quite a year. Nothing else to say other than that.

Last edited:
Yes, they did, initially, when they were pretty much even with Sony.

You see that being the case come E3?

This response doesn't make any sense and is completely out of context. He said MS never announced numbers before, he was wrong. There's no other hidden easter eggs to find. They will make several end of gen announcements at E3 (and some possibly before) that's all I'm saying.

Anyway, believe it or not E3 isn't far off. I've already made my statement so moving on.

This response doesn't make any sense and is completely out of context. He said MS never announced numbers before, he was wrong. There's no other hidden easter eggs to find. They will make several end of gen announcements at E3 (and some possibly before) that's all I'm saying.

Anyway, believe it or not E3 isn't far off. I've already made my statement so moving on.

I mean, it's free to register on ERA. If those numbers bothers you ( which surely aren't off ), then go there i try to counter him with different numbers. He also has a tweet account, somebody from MS didn't try to correct him. Tweet him if you like or report him. Numerous sites already had announced those numbers. Also you can register on those sites and send them a warnings about numbers. Just anything to stop the "damage"

Last edited:

Vawn

Banned
Thirdly, This has nothing to do with whether or not they announced at E3 before, they WILL announce numbers (they may even announce it earlier but unlikely), they have many end of gen announcements to make, 2020 is going to be quite a year. Nothing else to say other than that.

Well you keep saying it all caps, so I guess it must be true despite the fact you have no inside knowledge or reasoning. Can't argue with all caps. You win.

Gavon West

Spread's Cheeks for Intrusive Ads
I suspect those numbers are bullshit. What's incredible is how - even though Sony fans themselves know that Microsoft doesnt give out sales #'s - thus - no one can know how many consoles they have sold, people jumped on this # like flies on shit with no real verification to consider. Didn't even want a double take. Very typical of some on this board.

Anyhow, I have no doubt that we'll hear something soon enough to prove these "stats" are fake.

demigod

Up 5 million from the fake numbers posted as fact a few months ago...

41 million isn't bad considering where they came from.

Your math is wrong. They sold over 2mil in nov+dec and that post is in October.

6.5mil worldwide isn’t impressive. Anyone know how much they sold in 2017?

Don’t state your guess as a fact unless you have something to back it up.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
Zhuge is from China from what I know.

The numbers are probably close to the real numbers... he uses a 60% for US.

My own maths uses 63% for US that give us 38.8m at end of 2018.

Last edited:
Top Bottom