• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BREAKING: Insider says Xbox One has sold 41 million units.

Pallas

No clue if the numbers are real or fake, 41 million isn’t bad considering where they came from though but it seems like any number of total units sold that is considered bad/laughable/embarrassing on this forum is being herald as true.

thelastword

Banned
I think of all the analysts or leakers, Zhuge's figures were always the highest (more optimistic), consistently so too...So take that as you will......The only way we can know real figures is if MS divulges them, till then it's all guesstimates....Whether those figures are higher than 40 or below.......

Three

There will be info. That's not a guess there WILL be info.

Of course I expect people to still sling around that until E3, but this will be a fun thread to bring back up.
So you have info? Mind confirming it with mods? We're all your polls MS surveys?
Have MS shared this info with you? Come E3 in june/july how exactly are you going to interpolate the data for January? Do you have info that this is 'wrong' now? Mind sharing it instead of telling everyone to wait half a year?

So many questions

I'm going to code a script soon that hides all threads that have got a 'BREAKING' in the title.

And perhaps a plugin that can look at the content of threads and if it finds "Zhuge" in there, it hides it. If I had known that Zhuge was the insider, I would have never clicked the thread. :messenger_beaming:

ethomaz

Banned
There will be info. That's not a guess there WILL be info.

Of course I expect people to still sling around that until E3, but this will be a fun thread to bring back up.
Bullshit.

You know shit if MS will release info at E3 or not and being real the chances to that happen are minimal.

ethomaz

Banned
I’m not convinced by any numbers that aren’t from the source.
It is easy to make to estimate with actual US sales: 24.5m.

Last time MS released data (these 10m) US accounted for 60% but we have evidence Europe sales outside UK are worst than at begin of the gen.

Or you continue with the 60% for US like Zhuge or start to use 61, 62, 63%...

Last edited:

Mista

Banned
The same “insider” that couple of years ago said that MS are going to shut down Xbox Division? Yeah ok..

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
The same “insider” that couple of years ago said that MS are going to shut down Xbox Division? Yeah ok..
LOL. Was it Zhuge or CBOAT who predicted in summer 2013 that Xbox One would be released in "Oct or Dec".

System launches in a few months and can't even get it right it was November.

Last edited:
Sounds realistic PS4 was outselling Xbox 2:1 early this gen and that was when US was heavily contested with both sides trading lead each month, and this year ps4 stayed ahead from Jan to November iirc so slightly increase in ratio is quite possible.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
It is easy to make to estimate with actual US sales: 24.5m.

Last time MS released data (these 10m) US accounted for 60% but we have evidence Europe sales outside UK are worst than at begin of the gen.

Or you continue with the 60% for US like Zhuge or start to use 61, 62, 63%...

This is the best methodology by far without access to actual global figures. It actually favors MS a bit too as the 60/40 split assumes sales haven't deteriorated outside NA this gen, which I'd suspect is the case given UK performance.

Numbers seem reasonable to me, as I've seen zero evidence to suggest the PS4's 2:1 advantage has been eroded over the past couple of years.

Vawn

Banned
Looks like PS4 will pass 100 million well before Xbox One hits 50. At least that's better than the original Xbox's 24 million compared to PS2's 158 million.

Last edited:
Seems likely, XBO sales have basically plateaued but Switch is still going strong as it's the newer console. Microsoft is going to finish in last place again this gen.
Im not so sure. The xbox has some intriguing games coming out this year. Not sure why sales would suddenly stop or plateau. Crackdown 3 has appeal and is coming out soon. I expect Ori and the Will of the Wisps will be fantastic. Gears 5 will be a big hitter. Also im cautiously optimistic in Tunic. I had high hopes for The Last Night but now am questioning whether it will ever see the light of day. Regardless, those games alone will drive sales. Plus the xbox one x will continue to be the best system for 3rd party games. Some people will scoff or roll their eyes for me saying that but it does have value for some gamers. Meanwhile nintendo has scrapped prime 4 to start over and i would not be at all surprised if animal crossing was delayed to 2020.

Last edited:

bitbydeath

Oh. A negative Xbox rumor from Zhuge? Nothing new. It’s bullshit as usual. Just tries to make Xbox look bad.

This is supposed to be negative?
I’d expect Xbox to be closer to 35M, I think Zhuge is putting a lot of fat in these numbers personally.

TLZ

Banned
Oh. A negative Xbox rumor from Zhuge? Nothing new. It’s bullshit as usual. Just tries to make Xbox look bad.
I suspect those numbers are bullshit. What's incredible is how - even though Sony fans themselves know that Microsoft doesnt give out sales #'s - thus - no one can know how many consoles they have sold, people jumped on this # like flies on shit with no real verification to consider. Didn't even want a double take. Very typical of some on this board.

Anyhow, I have no doubt that we'll hear something soon enough to prove these "stats" are fake.
What is it you think then? 45?

demigod

I suspect those numbers are bullshit. What's incredible is how - even though Sony fans themselves know that Microsoft doesnt give out sales #'s - thus - no one can know how many consoles they have sold, people jumped on this # like flies on shit with no real verification to consider. Didn't even want a double take. Very typical of some on this board.

Anyhow, I have no doubt that we'll hear something soon enough to prove these "stats" are fake.

Ohi mr 50mil xbox ones sold. If you want to discredit him how about providing your own source?

Foxbat

Banned
I like how all the usual suspects come out in threads like this. I can literally look at some of these posters names and 100% predict their response before even reading their post.

Certain people will claim that the number is too low, and that Zhuge has no idea. Others will claim that Zhuge is likely padding the numbers, and that it's too high.

The only thing we can tell for certain is that nobody knows for sure until MS decide to reveal their sales numbers. And I'm not sure that will happen anytime soon.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
I like how all the usual suspects come out in threads like this. I can literally look at some of these posters names and 100% predict their response before even reading their post.

Same with you when you're trying to bash nearly everything playstation related.

BREAKING
Breaking? Seriously?

Gotta get the clicks

giphy.gif

Iced Arcade

What's really crazy is if these numbers are true (which they probably are or close) is... the software attach ratio for xbox is pretty damn big.

Great Hair

Banned
According to that AMD sheet report jpg, they shipped 99mill. ps4 chips and 36?mill. for MS. So 5+ during the x mas days&winter... seems plausible. When did the switch hit 30mill.?! Though they were around 22ish ... by April or so they will overtake Xbox 1 sake.

Grinchy

Banned
Assuming these numbers are true, it's not like it's the worst we've seen anyone perform in a generation. MS deserves this rolled-up newspaper smack on the nose, though. It'll put them in line for a next-gen where they don't half-ass their way through it again.

mejin

You don't need to be a genius to see this a good estimative. xbox never sold more than 10m in a year this gen and even sold between 7 to 8 in some, so it's clear is far from 50M in 5 years in the market. 2016 and 2017 were terrible. 2018 was better but compared to terrible years.

The brand was seriously damaged worlwide and all the effort Phil did wad shit for gringos to see, not the world.

bitbydeath

In general titles usually have pretty good numbers for the x1 (obviously not as high as ps4) But those numbers wouldn't fit your usual agenda so... thanks for the link.

You’re probably used to looking at NPD numbers where the hardware is closer aligned which in turn helps for closer looking software numbers.

From resding a lot of NPD thresds where Xbox is close to PS4, this WW figure looks dreadful. Sales outside US and UK must be diabolical as the gap with PS4 has grown to more than 2:1 now.

Lucumo

From resding a lot of NPD thresds where Xbox is close to PS4, this WW figure looks dreadful. Sales outside US and UK must be diabolical as the gap with PS4 has grown to more than 2:1 now.
Console tailored to US market with an absolute horrible reveal...sales seem like how they should be.

Console tailored to US market with an absolute horrible reveal...sales seem like how they should be.

European (aside UK) tastes can't be that different to US. I mean FIFA is on Xbox, you'd think that would help them sell much more.

What's worse is people here are saying the figure is actually too high!

Ovek

7Member7

Oh I think Microsoft were very close to spinning the Xbox division in to it's own company as it doesn't fit in the Satya Nadella enterprise focused Microsoft.

European (aside UK) tastes can't be that different to US. I mean FIFA is on Xbox, you'd think that would help them sell much more.

What's worse is people here are saying the figure is actually too high!

Sure you can play Fifa on a Xbox but if all you have ever bought is a Sony console why change? That and Microsoft fucked the Xbox360 launch in Europe and damaged the brand going forward.

Last edited:

nowhat

European (aside UK) tastes can't be that different to US.
Tastes, maybe not.

But if your initial offering is "Television! Television! Television!", your media functions were (and continue to be) very US-centric and your product doesn't support PAL signals for the HDMI passthru for a long time - that doesn't sound so tempting now does it?

Last edited:

Elenchus

Banned
You don't need to be a genius to see this a good estimative. xbox never sold more than 10m in a year this gen and even sold between 7 to 8 in some, so it's clear is far from 50M in 5 years in the market. 2016 and 2017 were terrible. 2018 was better but compared to terrible years.

The brand was seriously damaged worlwide and all the effort Phil did wad shit for gringos to see, not the world.

The word you’re looking for is “Americans”. Don’t call people “gringos”. Unless you’d like similar slurs about your likely place of origin tossed about. Thanks.

Last edited:

HeresJohnny

I'm kinda mixed on if the Switch will keep selling at such a great speed. They had mostly just Smash last year which did amazing but I'm kinda wondering now what comes out this year that could help keep the momentum going. I know they have Bayonetta, Animal Crossing, and Luigi's mansion in the works but those don't have dates on em , Metroid has been postponed to Switch 2. Maybe Pokemon could keep it going. Plus with all of these new versions of the xbox one I figure that will boost it's console sales quite a bit. So I could see Xbox holding off the Switch for awhile.
You have to remember that the Swich is basically two Nintendo markets condensed into one platform,the console and handheld. The DS was basically killed off to funnel those buyers to the Switch. There’s no way that the Xbox won’t be 3rd come next January.

Z..

The word you’re looking for is “Americans”. Don’t call people “gringos”. Unless you’d like similar slurs about your likely place of origin tossed about. Thanks.

Gringo literally means foreigner. Not a slur in the slightest.

ethomaz

Banned
According to that AMD sheet report jpg, they shipped 99mill. ps4 chips and 36?mill. for MS. So 5+ during the x mas days&winter... seems plausible. When did the switch hit 30mill.?! Though they were around 22ish ... by April or so they will overtake Xbox 1 sake.
Do you have that report.jpg?

Thanks in advance.

Chips are shipped in advanced... if it is really only 36m then that 41m estimate for XB1 is way too high but I need to check dates and see what the report says.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
In general titles usually have pretty good numbers for the x1 (obviously not as high as ps4) But those numbers wouldn't fit your usual agenda so... thanks for the link.
In UK the ratio PS4:XB1 in releases are usually around that of the Remake 2 or even bigger (late we are having AAA releases showing most of sales on PS4).

The userbase in UK while is bigger on PS4 side it is not that big like the software ratio.

Top Bottom