• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.
  • Hey Guest. Check out the NeoGAF 2.2 Update Thread for details on our new Giphy integration and other new features.

BREAKING NEWS: Coronavirus Originated in Chinese Lab, Not From Bat Sold in Wuhan Market

Woo-Fu

incest on the subway
Jan 2, 2007
I didnt known speculation was a homonym for circumstancial evidence such as actual papers published by Chinese researchers openly in journals and people who worked there leaking what they had done to the public before being taken over by the military.
You're being willfully ignorant.

Nobody is disputing that they do research on coronaviruses at that lab.

That's not what this "news story" is saying. The news story is that patient 0 MAY have been a lab worker who got infected there. And hey, that could very well be the case. There is no evidence of that, though.

I mean as a rational individual I find it less likely that a lab technician is going to get infected than the average joes making a living harvesting, selling, and consuming coronavirus-carrying bats. Just think about it, which is more likely? The person who knows the danger and is trained to avoid it or the oblivious person? Who are you going to bet is going to get infected?

Don't forget that we're still talking about a naturally-occurring virus. This isn't something whipped up in a lab---as far as we know from every scientist worldwide with the expertise to make that call. I mean sure, you can disbelieve all of those people too if it makes you feel better.

Keep spinning however you want, it isn't going to create evidence. If it did happen that way and there is evidence that hasn't been destroyed it'll come to light. Otherwise it'll be speculation.

And hey, I'm already on the blame China for all of this train. I don't need it to have happened in a lab for me to believe they're ultimately responsible. There are reasons we get one of these every decade or so and there are reasons that most of them come out of Asia. China is in a position to minimize and/or completely remove most of those reasons. We already knew that at the government level. That's why we spent money trying to train their scientists. It's why we dump millions into the WHO every year. Unfortunately basic human corruption trumps doing the right thing on a daily basis in China. Happens all the time here too, sadly.

Last edited:

Sterling88

Sep 19, 2019
I'm like 99% sure it probably did come from a lab, but I also don't want to see people fall into the pitfalls of the left and start stating things have been comfirmed when we're not entirely certain yet.

We're better than that, let's show them we still think using facts and not our feelings. China will get what's coming to them when all is said and done.

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2014
I mean as a rational individual I find it less likely that a lab technician is going to get infected than the average joes making a living harvesting, selling, and consuming coronavirus-carrying bats. Just think about it, which is more likely?

The obvious next question after determining this: Why are the wet markets still open? You would think the country that has no problem welding citizens into their homes would be able to shut these down to prevent these types of outbreaks from happening again. Either they don't care about pandemics or they know it didn't come from wet markets.

I agree its all speculation but its quite suspicious that they continue to allow these to exist.

-Arcadia-

Banned
Aug 20, 2019
I'm like 99% sure it probably did come from a lab, but I also don't want to see people fall into the pitfalls of the left and start stating things have been comfirmed when we're not entirely certain yet.

We're better than that, let's show them we still think using facts and not our feelings. China will get what's coming to them when all is said and done.

The left are by far the worst offenders (Muh Russia was amazing), but it’s kind of a human thing in general, and can be witnessed everywhere.

Agreed, though.

cryptoadam

Banned
Feb 21, 2018
Lets see WHO and CCP report why they concluded this came form a wet market. They should have some good forensic evidence after scrubbing the market down. I could imagine they found many samples, possibly even the pangolian/bat that caused the virus to jump to humans. They could at least provide some photos of pangolians/bats being sold at the market.

Not sure how the market story jives with the first case being in November and over 30% of the first round of infections having no epidemiological connection to the market.

If you ask the CCP about Uighyers they tell you they are giving them jobs and teaching them about chinese culture. If you ask them about organ transplant they just say they are just better and faster at transplants then the rest of the world. If you ask the CCP about Tiamen square they look at you with a quizical expression and ask you whats Tiamen square?. When you ask them where Corona Chan came from they say wet market.

Since CCP always answer those questions truthfully then we must assume that they are being truthful about Corona as well.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: off duty ninja

Woo-Fu

incest on the subway
Jan 2, 2007
The obvious next question after determining this: Why are the wet markets still open? You would think the country that has no problem welding citizens into their homes would be able to shut these down to prevent these types of outbreaks from happening again. Either they don't care about pandemics or they know it didn't come from wet markets.

I agree its all speculation but its quite suspicious that they continue to allow these to exist.

If I'm an authoritarian government why would I show weakness caving to your demands to deny my people their daily bread?

First I'd have to lose face simply admitting that the problem was a Chinese one. Then i'd lose more face admitting that I was unwilling to do anything about it without external pressure. In an authoritarian regime problems don't exist until you admit they do, right up until they topple your government. It's why China is cracking down even harder on the ability for their people to get news from the outside world.

It'd be more suspicious to me if they did act on the demands to shutdown the wet markets.

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2014
It'd be more suspicious to me if they did act on the demands to shutdown the wet markets.

I agree on them attempting to save face and that somehow keeping them open might be part of this. If they didn't want this pandemic to spread and they even thought it came from wet markets they should have shut them down before any outside pressures began. It wouldn't be caving in to pressure if they had taken action when they first came to learn that this was the likely origin.

I don't understand thinking it would be more suspicious for them to shut them down. It just isn't logical. Neither is communism though so maybe I just can't think like the CCP.

Reactions: CatLady

Woo-Fu

incest on the subway
Jan 2, 2007
I agree on them attempting to save face and that somehow keeping them open might be part of this. If they didn't want this pandemic to spread and they even thought it came from wet markets they should have shut them down before any outside pressures began. It wouldn't be caving in to pressure if they had taken action when they first came to learn that this was the likely origin.

I don't understand thinking it would be more suspicious for them to shut them down. It just isn't logical. Neither is communism though so maybe I just can't think like the CCP.

Shutting down the markets after the virus had jumped to humans is closing the barn door after all the cows are loose. It won't do anything to slow, much less stop the pandemic. At most you'd kill the animals involved and sterilize the area they were held.

The reason I'd be more suspicious if they closed down the markets now is because it would make me believe there is possibly another virus already going around in Wuhan from the same source(s) because that is the only reason from their point of view to do it.

I think focusing on the wet markets is kind of pointless anyhow. If there is a demand for virus-laden bats the demand will be supplied. If you don't have markets then you have a person on every other block selling bats out of their garages. Is there any reason to think these individuals trying to make a buck are going to worry any more than the markets about conditions? Nope.

You have to remember that this is a country that has a black market for practically anything you'd want, up to and including human organs. You think they're going to draw the line at bats? lol.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nikodemos

dcll

Apr 28, 2017

Are you trolling or just being intentionally ignorant? Because I don't even know where to fucking start with that sentence.

"China is still very much a good functioning country but is govern differently from the West."

Calling China's form of governing "different" than the west is like saying a slap on the wrist is different from shooting someone in the head. Yes you are technically correct, but holy hell did you understate the obvious. China's government as it sits now is a corrupt as all fuck brutal dictatorship responsible for the deaths of God only knows how many innocent people. They are secretive when it comes to their allies, conniving when it comes to their enemies, and murderously brutal when it comes to their own citizens when they dare to say a word against them. Did you somehow miss the entire Hong Kong debacle? China is not just "different". It's a short walk away from being Soviet Russia under Stalin or Germany under Hitler when it comes to it's brutal pursuit of absolute control over it's people. To even TRY to put China on the same level as the governments of the west is ignorant at best and intentionally stupid at worst.

I mean sure if you wanna give it's citizens a pass then I could see that. I sincerely doubt the vast majority of citizens are okay with the way their government oppresses them and their families. But to try and give the government a pass by just labeling them as "different"? Get the fuck out of here with that.

DAMN

KINGMOKU

May 16, 2005
It's interesting isn't it?

Such a surge of interest for due diligence, evidence, fact gathering before reaching a conclusion.

Makes a change from assuming intent, mind-reading, and hash-tag campaigns.

I wonder how long it will last.
I have no problem with people learning from their past mistakes and evolving into a more mature mindset. It would seem that perhaps 12Goblins is using more critical thinking then in the past. His mindset during the Kavanaugh confirmation was less then ideal in that department.

Apr 18, 2014
Shutting down the markets after the virus had jumped to humans is closing the barn door after all the cows are loose. It won't do anything to slow, much less stop the pandemic. At most you'd kill the animals involved and sterilize the area they were held.

I thought it was fairly obvious my concern with the wet markets isn't to stop the current pandemic but rather to try and stop future ones.

I think focusing on the wet markets is kind of pointless anyhow. If there is a demand for virus-laden bats the demand will be supplied. If you don't have markets then you have a person on every other block selling bats out of their garages. Is there any reason to think these individuals trying to make a buck are going to worry any more than the markets about conditions? Nope.

Do we try to stop drug dealers from selling drugs? The origin absolutely matters.

Dontero

Banned
Apr 19, 2018
That's not what this "news story" is saying. The news story is that patient 0 MAY have been a lab worker who got infected there. And hey, that could very well be the case. There is no evidence of that, though.

I mean as a rational individual I find it less likely that a lab technician is going to get infected than the average joes making a living harvesting, selling, and consuming coronavirus-carrying bats. Just think about it, which is more likely? The person who knows the danger and is trained to avoid it or the oblivious person? Who are you going to bet is going to get infected?

Covid-19 has been identified as bat virus via genome sequencing in several nations. Which means it comes from a bat. This is a fact. It is not lab evolved virus because you could tell difference.

So yes it was probably wet market.
This is the same way we know Ebola which is far more deadly come also from bats.

The combat virus story also doesn't make sense. It is not lethal enough. If you want combat virus you want maximum lethality in shortest amount of time. So something like Ebola.

Ebola has around 80% death rate WITH healthcare. Not measly 6% if you don't provide healthcare.

Schattenjäger

Gabriel Knight
Oct 12, 2005
Covid-19 has been identified as bat virus via genome sequencing in several nations. Which means it comes from a bat. This is a fact. It is not lab evolved virus because you could tell difference.

that fact does not differentiate if it came from a lab or wet market

at this point most people know it wasn’t man made

D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
The Wuhan lab was working with bats, and they were specifically researching diseases on bats. So it was not created out of nothing in the lab, but maybe their carelessness with the research did spread it.

Mar 18, 2018

This is the same way we know Ebola which is far more deadly come also from bats.

The combat virus story also doesn't make sense. It is not lethal enough. If you want combat virus you want maximum lethality in shortest amount of time. So something like Ebola.

Ebola has around 80% death rate WITH healthcare. Not measly 6% if you don't provide healthcare.
Your facts sound like wishful thinking and there are professionals with 40+ years of experience in the field who disagree with you. So... stop carrying water?

Dontero

Banned
Apr 19, 2018
Your facts sound like wishful thinking and there are professionals with 40+ years of experience in the field who disagree with you. So... stop carrying water?

What wishful thinking "facts" ?

Carrying water ? Are you one of those idiots who says that anyone who doesn't see russians everywhere is carrying water for putin ? You sound just like idiot democrats that see russians everywhere. Funny.

The Wuhan lab was working with bats, and they were specifically researching diseases on bats. So it was not created out of nothing in the lab, but maybe their carelessness with the research did spread it.

And how do you know lab had bats ? Do you understand even how such lab works ? No one keeps there animals with new strains of viruses that live there happily.

If Covid was bio-weapon then it is pretty fucking shitty weapon like i said. Not only there was no cure for it by chinese which automatically makes it useless and most of conspiracies invalid but also it mostly works for old and sick people.

What I'm trying to say is, the lab had the Bats.
The market might of had the Pangolin.

A worker could of visited that market.

Yeah and Bats were takes from Africa where dude who had ebola sneezed at them. Such coincidence doesn't happen and doesn't even make sense. IF this was lab virus there there wouldn't be any need for wet market and vice versa.

This blame game reminds me of spanish flu. Do you know why spanish flu was named like that ? Because no one wanted to talk about it and it was first spaniards who allowed to comment on it. The disease in fact was tracked to US in one of rural states.

The point is it is idiotic game that doesn't solve anything and doesn't have any prize for winning it.

Last edited:

Techies

Jan 29, 2013
What I'm trying to say is, the lab had the Bats.
The market might of had the Pangolin.

A worker could of visited that market.

Mar 18, 2018
What wishful thinking "facts" ?

Carrying water ? Are you one of those idiots who says that anyone who doesn't see russians everywhere is carrying water for putin ? You sound just like idiot democrats that see russians everywhere. Funny.

And how do you know lab had bats ? Do you understand even how such lab works ? No one keeps there animals with new strains of viruses that live there happily.

If Covid was bio-weapon then it is pretty fucking shitty weapon like i said. Not only there was no cure for it by chinese which automatically makes it useless and most of conspiracies invalid but also it mostly works for old and sick people.

Yeah and Bats were takes from Africa where dude who had ebola sneezed at them. Such coincidence doesn't happen and doesn't even make sense. IF this was lab virus there there wouldn't be any need for wet market and vice versa.

This blame game reminds me of spanish flu. Do you know why spanish flu was named like that ? Because no one wanted to talk about it and it was first spaniards who allowed to comment on it. The disease in fact was tracked to US in one of rural states.

The point is it is idiotic game that doesn't solve anything and doesn't have any prize for winning it.
You sound like a titty baby crying for some milk to be moved over to your face.

See how this works when you try to project how you THINK I sound in your own deluded head? Your are telling me you know how it is when the fact is you don't know any more than I do. Get the fuck out of here with your low energy arguments. Also, holy shit Spanish flu... bitch nigga please, you weren't old enough for it to remind you of anything. You are making up a game in your head to win some sort of far left NPC nonsense.

You are trying to just weasel word your way into a world view that doesn't make you want to slice your wrist open at night.

Papa

Banned
Apr 25, 2009
He/him
Well, i am. By 2027 NI will have an epiphany and become a rational, sane individual capable of critical thought. I know, I know, 7 years seems optimistic, but I have great faith in his potential.

I suppose by the 11th year of Trump presidency he may finally succumb and enter the acceptance phase. Right now, he still seems to be stuck cycling between denial and anger, and his deep-seated narcissism prevents him from transitioning to bargaining and depression.

autoduelist

Aug 30, 2014
I suppose by the 11th year of Trump presidency he may finally succumb and enter the acceptance phase. Right now, he still seems to be stuck cycling between denial and anger, and his deep-seated narcissism prevents him from transitioning to bargaining and depression.

Be careful, my eternal optimism is starting to rub off on you.

• Triggered
Reactions: SpartanN92 and Papa

autoduelist

Aug 30, 2014
Anyone else curious if companies like Smithfield Foods, which is in the news for shutting down a major meat production facility, are acting on orders from the CCP?

From wiki:

Smithfield Foods, Inc., is a meat-processing company based in Smithfield, Virginia, in the United States, and a wholly-owned subsidiary of WH Group of China. Founded in 1936 as the Smithfield Packing Company by Joseph W. Luter and his son, the company is the largest pig and pork producer in the world.

Holy shit! Trump reads mah posts!

In todays presser, Trump mentioned a meat factory closing and then casually said:

"I wonder who owns that company?"

And immediately started talking about something else.

Chess pieces are moving.

Dontero

Banned
Apr 19, 2018
You sound like a titty baby crying for some milk to be moved over to your face.

See how this works when you try to project how you THINK I sound in your own deluded head? Your are telling me you know how it is when the fact is you don't know any more than I do. Get the fuck out of here with your low energy arguments. Also, holy shit Spanish flu... bitch nigga please, you weren't old enough for it to remind you of anything. You are making up a game in your head to win some sort of far left NPC nonsense.

You are trying to just weasel word your way into a world view that doesn't make you want to slice your wrist open at night.

Ah the chewbacka defense. I see.

Did you know that bayblades are from metal ? From METAL.

Joe T.

Oct 3, 2004
Montreal, Quebec

Knowledge is power. That's the prize. Getting to the bottom of that theory requires China's cooperation. Don't you wonder why they went to such lengths to censor the info in the early stages and continue to do so today?

Shi Zhengli and her colleagues need to be questioned. Quoted from Forbes:

According to the Scientific American magazine, Shi Zhengli, a renown bat scientist in China, was told by the Institute’s director that the Wuhan Center for Disease Control and Prevention — modeled after our own CDC — had detected a novel coronavirus in two hospital patients. They were suffering from an odd pneumonia. They wanted her laboratory to investigate because the virus belonged to the same family of bat-borne viruses that caused SARS, a disease that — by comparison — only infected 8,100 people and killed just under 800 in an 8 month period in 2002-03.

“I had never expected this kind of thing to happen in Wuhan, in central China,” she was quoted as saying by Scientific American on March 11. Her studies had shown that the southern, subtropical areas of Guangdong, Guangxi and Yunnan had the greatest risk of coronaviruses jumping to humans from animals—particularly bats, a known reservoir for many viruses. If bat coronaviruses were the culprit, she recalled to Scientific American, “could they have come from our lab?”

She has since promised the world that it did not come from her lab, though how she would know that for sure is unknown. We don’t know where she is. If she is making the media rounds on Chinese television, few in the U.S. would believe her at this point.

Her research on bat coronaviruses goes back to 2015. Here is one published in 2015 in Nature magazine. There is a lot of information about this new SARS, yet the world still seems stuck in the unknowns.

cryptoadam

Banned
Feb 21, 2018
Holy shit! Trump reads mah posts!

In todays presser, Trump mentioned a meat factory closing and then casually said:

"I wonder who owns that company?"

And immediately started talking about something else.

Chess pieces are moving.

I caught that too but I thought maybe he was talking about a DNC member owning it.

I think someone on Trumps staff might be a poster here. Have not seen Afro around for a while and he did seem connected to Washington, always making those anti-DNC threads. :unsure:

• Thoughtful
Reactions: infinitys_7th

autoduelist

Aug 30, 2014
I caught that too but I thought maybe he was talking about a DNC member owning it.

I think someone on Trumps staff might be a poster here. Have not seen Afro around for a while and he did seem connected to Washington, always making those anti-DNC threads. :unsure:

Oh, to be clear i was joking about Trump reading my post, lol.

I am just happy Trump signalled that he was aware Smithfield is a Chinese company. That was subtle and casual, and he just let it hang there without explaining himself, meaning he was letting someone know he was aware games are being played on that scale. I havent seen anyone talking about Smithfield being Chinese owned, so i am glad he has that on his radar.

His pressers make me so happy at this point. His championing of the Army Corps of Engineers is huge to me, it's something i've long said needs to be greatly expanded because it's a great way to rebuild our failing infrastructure. And speaking of, he keeps mentioning infrastructure daily as well, and hammers home how much money we have wasted in the middle east.

I cant even imagine the clusterfuck we'd be in if HRC was president.

D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
This article for example clearly states they did research on bats.

Greedings

May 23, 2016
Doesn’t matter. You don’t keep them in the lab, well no longer than the time required to kill them. They’re housed elsewhere, and this article suggests the Chinese lab was collecting wild specimen.
Nonetheless, it looks like it was failure to abide by proper procedures according to the article you linked.

Dontero

Banned
Apr 19, 2018

You see this is how propaganda works and how spooks operate. They take something and manufacture story AFTER the fact. The date of article is April 14, 2020. The "cables" are not shown as evidence and even state department doesn't want to comment on that. That would be an argument if such article was written before it happened.

It is the exact similar type of spooks stuff like Syrian gas attacks. Where media just blindly repeated what army said to them. And yet after few months Mattis officially said to press that they don't know who were responsible for attacks but at that point no one cared.

Last edited:

Stiflers Mom

Banned
Apr 27, 2012

German news channel N-TV also talking about it now..

D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
Doesn’t matter. You don’t keep them in the lab, well no longer than the time required to kill them. They’re housed elsewhere, and this article suggests the Chinese lab was collecting wild specimen.
Nonetheless, it looks like it was failure to abide by proper procedures according to the article you linked.
I understand, but it was in that lab that they were looking into bats. Hence it could be that someone wasn't careful and the spread came from there.

You see this is how propaganda works and how spooks operate. They take something and manufacture story AFTER the fact. The date of article is April 14, 2020. The "cables" are not shown as evidence and even state department doesn't want to comment on that. That would be an argument if such article was written before it happened.

It is the exact similar type of spooks stuff like Syrian gas attacks. Where media just blindly repeated what army said to them. And yet after few months Mattis officially said to press that they don't know who were responsible for attacks but at that point no one cared.
Sure, I'll only trust something then when I see it with my own eyes... That's a weak argument and can be used for everything then. Whenever someone says something, I'll just say it's hearsay, and probably wrong because I didn't see it myself.

Last edited by a moderator:

longdi

Ni hao ma, fellow kids?
Jun 7, 2004
Guys this coronavirus can fuck you up bad! Because it is HIV+SARS? Please stay home and demostrate against Trump idiotic plan to force a restart soonest!

Nobel winning scientist who co-discovered HIV claims novel Coronavirus was made in Wuhan's lab
  • Nobel laureate Luc Montagnier maintains that novel coronavirus had elements of HIV, and such modifications can only be made in a lab
  • This may fall under another coronavirus conspiracy theory, as experts critique
  • By Vinay B.S.
    April 18, 2020 15:16 +08
Luc Montagnier, a Nobel winning French professor who co-discovered HIV (Human Immunodeficiency Virus) thinks that the novel coronavirus came from a lab even though there is a major science-backed narrative that it was not made in a lab.

His claim received criticism from various quarters, including colleagues. According to the Nobel laureate, the new 'SARS-CoV-2' virus came as a resultant in attempting to manufacture a vaccine for the AIDS virus, which got accidentally released, he said in a podcast by Pourquoi Docteur and also in a TV interview on Friday.

Prof. Montagnier says there were some elements of HIV present in the genome of the novel coronavirus that includes suspect of elements of malaria germ too, reported Agence France Presse. This may fall into the category of another conspiracy theory, to which he replied, "Conspirators are the opposite camp, hiding the truth"

Wuhan lab leaked it
Wuhan National Biosafety Laboratory, he said, was specialized in coronaviruses since the 2000s and have expertise in the area. To insert HIV genetic sequence into coronavirus genome requires molecular tools and can be done in a laboratory.

However Montagnier said, "Nature does not accept any molecular tinkering." Nature would eliminate any unnatural changes made even if nothing [like a vaccine] is done and he added that things would get better after many deaths. Also, the Nobel laureate said that the elements added to the virus could be removes with "waves," that is based on a theory which got mocked in the past.

Criticism
Étienne Simon-Lorière, a virologist from Institut Pasteur in Paris, said to AFP that the claim didn't make sense as there were very small elements found in other coronaviruses too. Some genome pieces looked like genetic material of plants and bacteria too! He explained a logic, "If we take a word from a book and it looks like another word, can we say that one has copied from the other? This is absurd!"

He also rubbished the claim that nature would get rid of foreign elements as false. However, Simon Lorière, did not comment on Montagnier's "waves" theory. Prof Montagnier received the 2008 Nobel Prize in Medicine for co-identifying HIV that causes AIDS. Nature reports that Wuhan's virology lab got assistance from France, a part of 2004 agreement of co-operation to prevent and control infectious diseases which emerged. The lab's construction was finished in 2014.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: OSC

Strife In a Teacup

Gold Member
Jun 23, 2013
Fuck, man. Even Eidos Montreal knew this shit in 2011:

To: Jian Tokaru

Man you should hear some of the crazy rumors about this place.

I was down near Katong Plaza in the city during my leave last weekend, checking in on my kids back home at some internet café. Anyway, there were these two locals behind me talking about the ranch. They were going on about that whole VersaLife/WHO bird flu outbreak that wiped out half the country a few years ago or something.

Anyway, all of a sudden they start whispering, saying it was all part of some crazy conspiracy theory by the government to test some new biological warfare weapon. They think it even has something to do with that whole SARS thing 20 years ago.

Apparently the ranch is actually owned by the Chinese, and this is all part of some crazy population control scheme. There's even websites devoted to this crap haha it's like we're the new area-51 or something.

PFC Bill Hall
Belltower Associates, Inc.
https://deusex.fandom.com/wiki/Belltower_Associates