• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'Breakthrough' penny-sized nanochip pad is able to regrow organs and heal injuries

iavi

This is incredible. Human trials beginning so soon make this more than something that sounds to far away to really be on the radar

Imagine the world never needing a transplant again

At least one person is going to turn into an Akira-like mess of flesh, can we go ahead and accept that? We'll see the pictures, say "Wow, that's really gross, poor person", but on the whole give them a second chance?

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
Holy fuck

The future is here already, Jesus Christ

In one experiment, blood flow in the severely injured leg of a mouse was restored in less than a week after the pad reprogrammed skin cells to create vascular cells.

After two weeks, the leg was substantially healed.

Edit - GTFO

I haven't read the direct article yet, but I wonder how hard it would be to get someone into the clinical human trials....

this really does sound too good to be true, and I know someone that will be overjoyed to know about it, and hopefully find a way to be involved.

At least one person is going to turn into an Akira-like mess of flesh, can we go ahead and accept that? We'll see the pictures, say "Wow, that's really gross, poor person", but on the whole give them a second chance?

The reason someone would turn themselves into a gross Akira-like mass of flesh, if they could--which they can't--would be because they could--which they can't.

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status
Looks like this can fix anything?
Just wait for kidney failure and then apply the patch. New kidneys.
Just put it on your head, and it can regrow hair follicles.

Let's see if this treatment ends up only in the hands of the rich and we have the Elysium scenario sooner than expected

Honestly this tends to be a pretty baseless concern.

The GOP aside, rich people only want you dead once you've become an economic liability. If they can keep you alive and working indefinitely they're more than happy to continue having you generate value for them from now until the end of time. They just don't want to keep people alive who are no longer going to be able to work and make them richer.

Implant this into my like yesterday.

I'm all down to be "post-human". I don't believe in a natural life at all. If they could augment the shit out of me with working technology I'd gladly do it.

Neo C.

Honestly this tends to be a pretty baseless concern.

The GOP aside, rich people only want you dead once you've become an economic liability. If they can keep you alive and working indefinitely they're more than happy to continue having you generate value for them from now until the end of time. They just don't want to keep people alive who are no longer going to be able to work and make them richer.

I'm not sure if you mean it in an uplifting way, considering full scale automation is happening right now.

Laiza

Is this how the worlds first Super Hero is made?
No.

Gotta wait for the better-than-human prosthetics, possibly with some sort of alternate vascular fluid that's better than human blood. Carbon nanotube muscles can put out tons of work-energy compared to human muscles (supposedly up to ten times more), but are actually less efficient than normal human muscles, and so require more energy to fuel their power.

Maybe we could build prosthetic bodies capable of running entirely on battery power, but I'm not sure how you'd handle the brain in that scenario (since it still needs blood and a steady supply of oxygen and even hormones to function).

I'm not sure if you mean it in an uplifting way, considering full scale automation is happening right now.

Oh, it's still entirely dystopian and depressing, but be depressed for the right reasons. There are plenty of people who want you dead without conjuring up imaginary ones!

I'm sceptical

you know what these guys inject you
Ulj36tW.jpg

they also regrow organs (even "new" ones..) and heal injuries

Gorillaz

Even when we fuck up in football...and basketball...in the same year......our medical campus still gets the job done

OSU we the best

You're too cynical.

I said this before, I don't see scientists and engineers designing & building a space station for the %1 without it leading to violent riots and a breakdown in society.

The space station was a metaphor for the insurmountable gap that separates the rich and the poor.

Also, being that it was a Hollywood film, the space station looked cool.

Monocle

Damn, sounds like this tech has loads of potential.

Also: Bless the OP for adding Senator Armstrong.

maxresdefault.jpg

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/2017/08/07/penny-sized-nanochip-pad-regrow-organs-heal-injuries/

Direct link to scientific journal: https://www.nature.com/nnano/journal/vaop/ncurrent/full/nnano.2017.134.html

I realize that a lot of this popular science stuff is fake or overblown, but the journal seems respected and clinical trials are scheduled for next year, so it looks a lot more promising than other miracle technology that show up on news sites.

Inject brain cells into my brain if old.

albeit a flawed metric, nature has the highest impact factor and only (usually) the best articles get published there. At least in my field (neuroscience). this is not to say "take everything at face value, don't be critical" :)

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
It's like it violates the rules of nature.

It can't fix your teeth. Could fix your gums though.

Your eyes, depends what causes the issue.

didn't some japanese scientist invent some sort of liquid enamel which makes drilling out caries obsolete a while ago?
you apply it to the rotten patches and it fixes the tooth instantly

Haunted

I'll believe it when I see it (in practice).

Seems like a potentially society-and-world-changing breakthrough.

D

Deleted member 284

Unconfirmed Member
It can't fix your teeth. Could fix your gums though.

Your eyes, depends what causes the issue.
Whoa blindness/deafness could be cured in specific circumstances...

Researchers plan to start clinical trials on humans next year.
Heeeeey

That is what I want to see. I saw this thread hours ago, but didn't bother to open it since the "breakthroughs" always end up being years or even decades away from human use. Testing next year is awesome news. Also, good on you for add Senator Armstrong lol.

big_z

I need injections for my tinnitus and messed up laser eyes asap. If you can nanomachine my MPB too that be nice too.

Heeeeey

That is what I want to see. I saw this thread hours ago, but didn't bother to open it since the "breakthroughs" always end up being years or even decades away from human use. Testing next year is awesome news. Also, good on you for add Senator Armstrong lol.

there are various stages of human trials and this is likely a long ways off. there's usually various iterations of private small scale trials to tweak and test things until they have something the feel worth bringing to market. this can take years on its own. then you have fda trials which undergo multiple phases which can takes years each as well.

Top Bottom