• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'Breakthrough' penny-sized nanochip pad is able to regrow organs and heal injuries

Aiii

So not worth it
Fuck yes, this is the future I've been waiting for.

I hope I live long enough to get to this:
acacec95d85e58e7080025f7298fb74e.jpg

David___

Banned
Would this kind of tech be able to evolve to the point it can replace damaged/missing limbs? Seems like that would be the next logical step

I was just talking about the healing technology.
I still don't see it happening though.

I bet Canada or one of the Nordic countries will offer the technology to all its citizens; any country that does not will experience a mass exodus and a brain drain that will cripple its economy.

Also, worst case scenario is that the 99% will not take it lying down. The rich will not survive long enough to experience the benefits of the healing technology.

Sulik2

If this actually works as well as they are claiming this should be the focus of the entire medical industry to get tested and approved ASAP. The life saving and changing possibilities are staggering.

DavidDesu

Is this real? I read it as some science fiction thing. Reminds me of Star Trek where they just press a tool to your skin, makes a little noise, and that's your treatment lol.

Is this real??? Amazing if so.

Culex

Banned
In the not-too-distant future....

There are the HAVES, and there are the HAVENOTS.

"Cure your diseases here! Only a nominal fee of 5 million dollars!"

Harmen

Is this real? I read it as some science fiction thing. Reminds me of Star Trek where they just press a tool to your skin, makes a little noise, and that's your treatment lol.

Is this real??? Amazing if so.

I have yet to read all of this, but Nature publications are very well regarded. They don't publish nonsense/poorly controlled studies. But I don't know how well Telegraph reported on the study, many newspapers tend to fail in reporting accurately (non-sensationalist) about science articles.

All of our cells have the same DNA, but they specialize inside the embryo to become different cells. That's why changing specialized stem cells (read: fat cells) into other types was such a hot topic a while back.

Simply injecting "new" DNA wouldn't cause the cell to specialize into something else, nor would it result in spontaneously regrown tissue.

Without reading the paper, I have to imagine it would work by overwriting the epigenetic data of the dna in the cell with what's being being injected. While it's true that all out cells have roughly the same dna (barring any mutations that occured after differentiation), the epigenetic modifications are very different which is why a skin cell is different than a muscle cell in the first place

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
I really hope we can get efficient treatment for parkinsons disease soon, my dad would be in such good health for his age if it wasn't for that. I know drugs used for type2 diabetes have stopped the progression in trials. He should be allowed to get whatever drug could potentially help since if this keeps up he'll just ask to have his life ended. I doubt this treatment would be available any time soon.

capslock

Is jealous of Matlock's emoticon
Uh, I almost can't believe I'm reading this. This is the biggest medical breakthrough since vaccines and antibiotics.

Eusis

I'm sceptical

you know what these guys inject you
Ulj36tW.jpg

they also regrow organs (even "new" ones..) and heal injuries
Fuck you I'm keeping Armstrong as my role model there.

They probably used nanotechnology to fix up Picard's Borg infection anyway.

Top Bottom