• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Breath of the Wild 2 Revisits The Same Hyrule - Eiji Aonuma

CyberPanda

Banned
Direct sequels are rare in Zelda titles, but Aonuma saw something special about Breath of the Wild and wanted to create a new experience. "One of the reasons we wanted to create a continuation was because I wanted to revisit that Hyrule again and use that world again, while incorporating new gameplay and new story," he says.

Thabass

This is kind what I wanted Zelda: Gaiden (now known as Majora's Mask) to be. I wanted to re-explore Hyrule in a different, darker game. Not that I'm complaining about what I got with MM, but I wanted to see a devs take on a reimagined Hyrule that was directly effected by the events of Ocarina of Time.

Digity

Well when you have half the work already done why wouldn't you do another one in the same world?

stickkidsam

I'd like to see them add more secrets to the world to discover and expand on the cool memory mechanic for the stories. There's a lot of cool potential that barely get scratched in BOTW.

It was really a bummer how few secret areas there were to discover. Sometimes I'd find a little cove or Oasis through a little cave or hidden entrance, only to find out that it wasn't really hidden at all, because there are other bigass openings to find it at.

Basically I want them to really poop out some lore on this expansion.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
Chances this is a mistranslation taken out of context seem pretty high. Maybe he said it takes place in the same universe as BOTW and that got twisted to mean the same map. Most other Zelda games are entirely new and don’t connect to previous entries.

Not gonna freak out about an offhand comment about a game that is still being made.

Last edited:

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Chances this is a mistranslation taken out of context seem pretty high. Maybe he said it takes place in the same universe as BOTW and that got twisted to mean the same map. Most other Zelda games are entirely new and don’t connect to previous entries.

Not gonna freak out about an offhand comment about a game that is still being made.
They have done this before with A Link Between World's.

I'm ready for more Breath of the Wild. Even if it's the same world, it's not going to be the same content. I'm sure most things, besides the basic layout, are going to be vastly different. Maybe there will be proper dungeons this time, and a larger variety of enemies? Maybe they'll add new systems for more traversal, and interactive options. I have faith Nintendo is going to have another hit with this one.

daveonezero

Banned

That's what I think. At the very minimum I would bet they change huge parts of the original map. Make it seem new by mirroring it and also other changes. Doing that would change it up for everyone.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
If they're gonna use the same map, they'd better pack it with content to make it feel all-new and they need to promise not to hide things behind a season of DLC. I have no problem with reusing old assets as long as the company leverages their time to make a lot more content for the title.

If they're gonna use the same map, they'd better pack it with content to make it feel all-new and they need to promise not to hide things behind a season of DLC. I have no problem with reusing old assets as long as the company leverages their time to make a lot more content for the title.

Ok Y'all! I don't think any Zelda title EVER has reused the same landscape, Aonuma was clearly talking about "This Hyrule" as in This universe, these characters. Reusing the same map in a sequel absolutely no sense. This happens every time. A new game gets announced and Forums pick apart every glancing mention of said game, worrying about its development....and yet the almost always dazzle us. (the Zelda team...)

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Ok Y'all! I don't think any Zelda title EVER has reused the same landscape, Aonuma was clearly talking about "This Hyrule" as in This universe, these characters. Reusing the same map in a sequel absolutely no sense. This happens every time. A new game gets announced and Forums pick apart every glancing mention of said game, worrying about its development....and yet the almost always dazzle us. (the Zelda team...)
I think you maybe are misunderstanding where I am coming from. I wouldn't mind it if they reused the map. That would be a smart move. Asset creation is the most time-consuming and expensive part of a game's development. All I'm saying is that if they decide to reuse the map, they'd better make sure to pack the game with a lot of content.

I think reusing the map makes perfect sense, and the trailer seems to indicate that this is taking place on the same map, in the same engine.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
i dunno, i don't even see this as a trailer. this is just an announcement. the game doesn't even have a title yet. the image of Hyrule Castle and all that, that could just be in a cutscene, like the many cutscenes we saw in BOTW that showed us the Hyrule of the past. most of this clip takes place in a new location, outside of that one shot.

i'll start worrying when this game shows the same map in a trailer with a release date, or at the very least a title.

Last edited:
I'm okay with them using the same world if it means we get the game sooner If this game takes 3 years, if this is a 4-5 year wait and then using the same world...

Yumi

I definitely got the impression that we will be exploring underground from the trailer, with the land collapsing at the end. Which was one of my critisisms with the original, for as high up we went, there were no caves, or cave networks. Granted, the mechanics I found most enjoyable were used to traverse the land. Interested to see what they do.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
I'm sure it will be. Same Hyrule does not = identical map.

even if so, a solid 1/2 of the game was not on the open world map itself, it was in shrines and in the Divine Beasts. there were 100 unique shrines in BOTW, all multi-room areas, some with very intricate puzzles. there were 20 combat shrines. the 4 Beasts themselves were massive setpieces, with a mini-battle at the approach, as well as several shrines worth of level design, and a boss battle.

that is all separate from the open world itself. imagine if you replaced all that with 8 dungeons. if all those resources went towards dungeons instead of shrines & Beasts. the work that went into 10 shrines can easily go into a single dungeon. resources that would have been spent on Divine Beasts or combat shrines can go towards these dungeons too, and their mini boss and boss battles. they can have a simplified overworld, but build an entirely new dark world underneath.

Last edited:

Varteras

Gold Member
I've never been a big Zelda fan but I really enjoyed BotW. Nintendo announcing a sequel made me a lot happier than I thought it would.

I definitely got the impression that we will be exploring underground from the trailer, with the land collapsing at the end. Which was one of my critisisms with the original, for as high up we went, there were no caves, or cave networks. Granted, the mechanics I found most enjoyable were used to traverse the land. Interested to see what they do.
Watch again. The castle is not collapsing but going skyward

Rran

I agree with this, there are many ways to take the word "world" and this is a quote that's gone through a translation already. I'll wait for more info.

even if so, a solid 1/2 of the game was not on the open world map itself, it was in shrines and in the Divine Beasts. there were 100 unique shrines in BOTW, all multi-room areas, some with very intricate puzzles. there were 20 combat shrines. the 4 Beasts themselves were massive setpieces, with a mini-battle at the approach, as well as several shrines worth of level design, and a boss battle.

that is all separate from the open world itself. imagine if you replaced all that with 8 dungeons. if all those resources went towards dungeons instead of shrines & Beasts. the work that went into 10 shrines can easily go into a single dungeon. resources that would have been spent on Divine Beasts or combat shrines can go towards these dungeons too, and their mini boss and boss battles. they can have a simplified overworld, but build an entirely new dark world underneath.

No need to imagine it for long. That's exactly what they will do. New quest with new evil centered around completing many dungeons. Hyrule itself can have new towns with new activities, revamped existing towns, new overworld mini bosses and new korok-esque exploration/scavenger hunt.

Watch again. The castle is not collapsing but going skyward

Yep. Perhaps we get flying mounts. There will be a new region in the sky. Muk muh werds

Last edited:
I hope we delve deep into Lorule and they just don't put a darkening filter or pallet swap on the map and add animal people.

Last edited:

Yumi

No need to imagine it for long. That's exactly what they will do. New quest with new evil centered around completing many dungeons. Hyrule itself can have new towns with new activities, revamped existing towns, new overworld mini bosses and new korok-esque exploration/scavenger hunt.

Yep. Perhaps we get flying mounts. There will be a new region in the sky. Muk muh werds
Flying mounts would be great. I wonder if they can do it without a loading screen between the ground and sky. That being seemless would be outstanding.

Stuart360

Its the same map, i noticed as soon as i saw the trailer, the part where it shows the landscape, it has that same mountain in the background.

Meesh

I knew it!!! I fucking knew!!!
But this begs the question, how do they make the same Hyrule feel new again?
This is gonna be epic, I can feel it. 😀

I knew it!!! I fucking knew!!!
But this begs the question, how do they make the same Hyrule feel new again?
This is gonna be epic, I can feel it. 😀

easier than you think, moving a few NPCs adding new NPCs adding new towns, a few places built up others transformed. New enemies and mysteries. It is very easy to enjoy this Hyrule like a brand new one.

Besides it would even be better for BoTW fans to find familiar places and meet old NPCs with new stories and quests.

easier than you think, moving a few NPCs adding new NPCs adding new towns, a few places built up others transformed. New enemies and mysteries. It is very easy to enjoy this Hyrule like a brand new one.

Besides it would even be better for BoTW fans to find familiar places and meet old NPCs with new stories and quests.
And let's not forget, this is the only game I've ever played that added an update letting you trace your footsteps on the map. In 120 hours, I think I saw half the map, with giant chunks of it not even seen once.

Falcs

Banned
I must be just about the only one who was disappointed with BotW. It just felt so... empty. Far to big with too little variety in it. The shrines were way too repetitive. The gameplay was great. I sunk about 50 hours in before I got bored and had no motivation to finish it.
But I miss the traditional Zelda games, with multiple, themed, epic dungeons and an actual story.

Top Bottom