• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Breath of the Wild CEDEC 2017 developer presentation

ghibli99

Such a fascinating read, and explains why everyone's experience/journey was so wildly different. I'm in awe, and having gotten back into it recently (for the second time), this will surely make me appreciate those magic moments even more knowing their design philosophy. The integrated bug reporting also explains why this game, despite its massive scale, is so free of bugs. I found one untextured triangle in my entire journey on a far edge of the map. And that's it. Completely unprecedented in my experience.

Neiteio

ui06.jpg

This is neat; showing how they decided to go for a more minimalist UI language.
Hmm, would this also seem to suggest that at one point "boots" was a separate item category from "pants" and "gloves" were separate from "shirts?"

Hero

It's absolutely incredible how much thought process went into so many aspects of the game world/design that I don't think (m)any other developers can claim. The way everything ebbs and flows into each other and the game has numerous ways to point you to locations, absolutely incredible.

Hmm, would this also seem to suggest that at one point "boots" was a separate item category from "pants" and "gloves" were separate from "shirts?"

I can imagine the game logic of Link inside the Gerudo town, taking off his shoes while keeping the rest of the outfit intact.

That somehow gives away his position and gets thrown out

Would've been cool for some Pegasus Boots and Power Glove that increases swinging speed of weapons

Tuck

Breath of the wilds best attribute was how the game encouraged exploration, and made it fun to see every inch of the mapm at least personally, this is something other open world games struggle with. Therefore this is very interesting to see. All the logic and effort that went into making exploring fun really paid off.

Raitaro

And yet they did not opt to put more types of main enemies in different parts of the world to further flesh out the different areas and reward exploration, which is becoming more and more baffling to me the more it becomes clear how much effort and smart design they put into this game overall.

It's a fantastic game, don't get me wrong, and I realize I'm beating a dead horse with this but more enemy variety would have helped to make the varied and interesting looking game world become more varied and interesting in terms of activities as well imo. It would in other words be interesting to hear their thoughts on why they felt that Bokoblins, Moblins and Lizalfos would suffice as far as organised enemies go regardless of whether you are in a snow area, desert or jungle (and the same goes for the lesser / individual foes which also stay consistent regardless of area apart from elemental variations or color changes). Even Zelda 1 had enemies that were unique to area types so why not this game that focuses even more (effectively) on world building and exploration, I can't help but wonder.

ghibli99

Coincidentally, Horizon has the same kind of in-world bug tracking
I ran into so many bugs in that game though. Lots of invisible geometry, collectibles in rocks, environmental objects I clipped completely through. Game is still gorgeous, but it didn't feel like something that was gone through with a fine-toothed comb. Traversal wasn't a big thing either though (mainly limited to predetermined climbing points), so I could see why it wasn't prioritized.

what's the psychological reason triangles work? the presentation made me realize my behavior about it lol

is it because we always assume there will something behind it? (mountains, structures, etc)

sanstesy

That's fantastic.

And yet they did not opt to put more types of main enemies in different parts of the world to further flesh out the different areas and reward exploration, which is becoming more and more baffling to me the more it becomes clear how much effort and smart design they put into this game overall.

It's a fantastic game, don't get me wrong, and I realize I'm beating a dead horse with this but more enemy variety would have helped to make the varied and interesting looking game world become more varied and interesting in terms of activities as well imo. It would in other words be interesting to hear their thoughts on why they felt that Bokoblins, Moblins and Lizalfos would suffice as far as organised enemies go regardless of whether you are in a snow area, desert or jungle. And same goes for the lesser / individual foes which also stay consistent regardless of area apart from elemental variations or color changes. Even Zelda 1 had enemies that were unique to area types so why not this game that focuses even more of world building and exploration, I can't help but wonder.

The reason is called limited development time. Enemy variety is BotW biggest weakness.

NEO0MJ

what's the psychological reason triangles work? the presentation made me realize my behavior about it lol

is it because we always assume there will something behind it? (mountains, structures, etc)

Probably that, and that we probably subconsciously read them as arrows.

Neiteio

I imagine triangles work because they guide their eye to their point, directing your attention to items of interest

Raitaro

The reason is called limited development time. Enemy variety is BotW biggest weakness.

I would have happily waited an additional fifth year of development time for a few more enemy types to be added personally (accompanied by a more varied distribution of all of them across the land), as for me this was also the game's biggest weakness especially because of how much its expansive and varied world begged for more creatures to populate it. But I guess even the Zelda team has to stick to a deadline at some point :-/

7/10 tho.

I just realized this doesn't add anything to the discussion. What I meant is that the game is crazy good yet you can never make something that pleases everyone.

majik13

I think the ones in the left are way better.

I think scaled down on a regular TV or even on the Switch screen itself, and considering how small they are in the game map, that the more detailed icons would be more difficult to discern what they are. Simpler shapes and details make it much easier to read at a smaller scale, even though the more detailed ones might be more visually interesting.

I love getting an inside look at game development like this. Exploration and level design are probably the two things that matter most to me in games so to say that I was incredibly happy with Breath of the Wild would be an understatement.

The Hermit

I would have happily waited an additional fifth year of development time for a few more enemy types to be added personally (accompanied by a more varied distribution of all of them across the land), as for me this was also the game's biggest weakness especially because of how much its expansive and varied world begged for more creatures to populate it. But I guess even the Zelda team has to stick to a deadline at some point :-/

If they missed the Switch launch I doubt it would half as successful as it is.

Hopefully the DLC will add more stuff. I can't wait for it to be honest.

Raitaro

If they missed the Switch launch I doubt it would half as successful as it is.

Hopefully the DLC will add more stuff. I can't wait for it to be honest.

That's a fair point indeed.

Me neither - I even got dragged back into the amiibo craze because of the DLC and preordered all 4 Champions after managing to buy some of the original BOTW lineup despite earlier resolutions not to do that...sigh...

Yarbskoo

And they adjusted it by created various tiers of vertical signposts that would distract and sidetrack players so they would wander off toward the one that most attracted their playstyle or needs (ie, aggressive players would go for camps, exploration players would head toward shrines, etc.), and that they deliberately allowed the visibility of these to change during the night.

And this is why I haven't seen half the world after playing 120 hours. I just keep getting sidetracked.

javac

The heat map study is interesting. That being said, in the final product, the game does tend to guide you towards Zora's Domain and the quests there in the beginning. I think they thought at least that much guidance was necessary so that people could get a grip on the basics.

I did Gerudo, Goron, Zora and then Rito.

KHlover

Banned
I did Gerudo, Goron, Zora and then Rito.

Also started with Gerudo. Game kicked my ass, so I kicked it harder. Damn were those first 40 hours magical. Felt like a straight up survival game. You're definitely not supposed to start with Gerudo lol.

conpfreak

Also started with Gerudo. Game kicked my ass, so I kicked it harder. Damn were those first 40 hours magical. Felt like a straight up survival game. You're definitely not supposed to start with Gerudo lol.

That's pretty much the hardest to easiest order of the regions.

I am glad to see Nintendo, and in some ways, Japan, is still apparently innovating in game software development.

I mean, you kind of knew it from the end product, but it is good to see there is a method to the leap forward that they built.

Holy crap BOTW 2 is going to be bonkers.

I am glad to see Nintendo, and in some ways, Japan, is still apparently innovating in game software development.

I mean, you kind of knew it from the end product, but it is good to see there is a method to the leap forward that they built.

Majora's Wild you mean ;P

TheMoon

Don't set yourself up for disappointment already...

EOS-HDC

I think this old Game Informer discussion with 4 different game developers who were playing/experiencing BotW might be relevant in this context. IIRC, they talked a lot about the landscape design and the view perspective in the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hk-EnbS42dM

Hey thanks for the link, that was a cool talk,I've had Zelda fever since two months ago that I finally picked BotW, earlier in the morning I was watching speedruns but since I haven't finished the game (100 hours, 3 divine beasts, Master Sword)I had to stop each time they got to the castle.

IceMarker

NCL and Anouma's team is simply incredible, the way they approach design is always one step ahead of the rest of the industry while remaining simple and intuitive. Half of the slides made me slap my forehead and say "of course, that's genius". Bravo Nintendo.

ubiblu

Great thread, and easily my favourite game of all-time. The game has plenty of problems and genuinely gets boring after 100+ hours with nothing but Koroks and farming to do, but those first 20-30 hours were unlike anything i've ever played before. The sense of discovery and adventure were truly second to none.

Great thread, and easily my favourite game of all-time. The game has plenty of problems and genuinely gets boring after 100+ hours with nothing but Koroks and farming to do, but those first 20-30 hours were unlike anything i've ever played before. The sense of discovery and adventure were truly second to none.

What about hours 31 to 99?

you're calling it "botw2" which suggests very specific expectations which will surely not be met because that's not how they roll.

It suggests a continuation of the open world style as opposed to a return to the relatively linear style of previous games, which Aonuma already said was the future of the series moving on. Nothing more

I thought this was interesting

The Pro HUD was actually created because (presumably) NoA/NoE asked to clean up the screen and get rid of even more UI elements -
It seems minimal HUDS is a very western thing for whatever reason

The_Lump

Banned
This is so great. I feel like we're peeking behind the curtain or going into Willy Wonka's factory or some shit.

As someone with a background in graphic design and engineering, seeing how these geniuses did what they did is incredible and inspiring and humbling. I mean of course far more goes into every game's design than we (jonny game player) ever appreciate, but to see the process involved for a game like BoTW is a privilege.

The Lamp

This is so great. I feel like we're peeking behind the curtain or going into Willy Wonka's factory or some shit.

As someone with a background in graphic design and engineering, seeing how these geniuses did what they did is incredible and inspiring and humbling. I mean of course far more goes into every game's design than we (jonny game player) ever appreciate, but to see the process involved for a game like BoTW is a privilege.

Agreed. Can't wait to dig into this when I get home. And funny enough, I have the same kind of background!

watershed

Banned
I love all the info we're getting about BOTW's development. Between the GDC keynote, Nintendo's own making of videos, media interviews, and stuff like this I'm drowning in cool tidbits from BOTW's development.

Edit: Reading the UI stuff and how focused they were on having a minimal UI that would only pop in when necessary, I so so wish that hearts would fade away outside of combat/Link taking damage. It's the only persistent UI in pro hud mode and it bothers me.

Top Bottom