• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Breath of the Wild is the official subtitle for Zelda U/NX, first gameplay trailer

Neoxon

So, I don't know if this is the right thread to mention this, but I can't create a new one yet, so here it goes... I found something interesting while browsing the US trademark system.

For Wii U games, you can see that in the categories for the trademark mention game discs, but not cartridges.

On the other hand, 3DS games do mention cartridges in the description:

However, for Breath of the Wild, there's something different, it also lists video game cartridges:

I don't think this is a random decision or mistake, as Nintendo has never assigned video game cartridges to a Wii U game before (unless it also has a 3DS version). However, we already know there's going to be a NX version of this game, so this could be a strong indicator that NX will, in fact, use cartridges.
Nice catch, my friend.

Roo

Plus if the cases are smaller, you can fit more on a pallet, shipping more in one go, which reduces the shipping cost per unit.

This too.
There are multiple solutions for the possible rise of manufacturing costs vs optical discs.

I think the cut is really good, because I'm used to typical dramatic cuts. This cut caught me off guard for a bit and made the music change a lot more tense

Everyone understands and is familiar with dramatic cuts. There's a complete audio drop-out mid-way through, that cuts through that "mystical" audio layer that's tied to the audio/visual transition. It's not the fact that there is a dramatic cut, it's just that it's remarkably sloppy. The fact the so many people called it out is indicative of that, not that fact that people are apparently unaware of an editing trick used in a thousand trailers.

I don't know if others are in the same boat, but I've not been bitten by the "omg can't stop thinking about this game" bug like this in a while. I've not even seen the gameplay footage, but just hearing the positive impressions and seeing the trailer sparked my imagination. It honestly made me think of Zelda in the way the original concept art did. What lies in the distance?

legend_of_zelda_conceptart_tcdh9.jpg

Luckily we have plenty of games to play to tide us over, but the imagery and "atmosphere" this conjures up keeps me excited.

I don't know if others are in the same boat, but I've not been bitten by the "omg can't stop thinking about this game" bug like this in a while. I've not even seen the gameplay footage, but just hearing the positive impressions and seeing the trailer sparked my imagination. It honestly made me think of Zelda in the way the original concept art did. What lies in the distance?

Luckily we have plenty of games to play to tide us over, but the imagery and "atmosphere" this conjures up keeps me excited.

I'm in the same "can't stop thinking about it" boat and I have seen WAYYYY too much footage! So you're not alone!

Getting over it by playing the NES Zeldas again, then I should be cooled down from the hype a bit!

The cut is awful. Feels like footage is missing. It's not dramatic.

It's clearly intentional because it's part of a pattern. It's the second of three times that the video cuts to black for dramatic effect. The first is at 0:55, the second is the one we're talking about at 2:03, the third is 2:44. The third is also a hard cut to black and a hard cut back in, based around music cues, just like the second one. Hell, it even uses the same "swoosh" sound effect as it cuts to black at both 2:03 and 2:44.

I'm not saying it's necessarily a well-done cut, but the people who genuinely believe the cut is intended to either allude to unmentioned plot stuff (Like Time Travel) or is a spot where footage was suddenly excised at the last second are reading way too into it.

It's clearly an example of the editor wanting to follow the rule of 3, which is traditionally a writing concept but is widely taught in editing courses. The idea is that, doing something three times makes for the greatest impact, as it is the magic number that combines both brevity and and rhythm. The ideal number with which to create a pattern.

Everyone understands and is familiar with dramatic cuts. There's a complete audio drop-out mid-way through, that cuts through that "mystical" audio layer that's tied to the audio/visual transition. It's not the fact that there is a dramatic cut, it's just that it's remarkably sloppy. The fact the so many people called it out is indicative of that, not that fact that people are apparently unaware of an editing trick used in a thousand trailers.

Nah. It's just because Zelda fans are fucking obsessive and hungry for details about anything, and want to pull meaning out of literally anything they can. Someone's probably writing a post now about how this takes place in The Wind Waker timeline because the blades of grass look most similar to that game.

The cut is awful. Feels like footage is missing. It's not dramatic.

Yeah. It makes me feel like it was edited in the same day, minutes before the presentation. And that's probably what happened. My guess is that they realized there was something they didn't want to show and removed it.

SomTervo

Seen a lot of people wishing there was more overworld music, so I'm going to voice my opinion that I like the minimalistic approach they've taken. The lack of music in the wild spaces emphasizes the world and the music's sudden presence in battle or near important areas like the Temple of Time emphasizes those more important moments. Though I do hope the towns still have some fun, boisterous themes or whatever. If the silence emphasizes Link alone in the wilderness, a place with a lot of people should be louder and more musical.

100%, and furthermore it's proven perfectly effective for Ico, Shadow of the Colossus, and Studio Ghibli's films,which this game appears to be lifting a lot from stylistically.

I love Gustavo Santaolalla's quote regarding his score for The Last of Us: A musical soundtrack begins with silence. Then you find the perfect moments to punctuate that silence.

HylianTom

Banned

I'm obsessed at a level that I wasn't for TP & SS.

So far, >90% of what I've seen of this game has been from the Treehouse. But I'm seeing that many websites have done their own extended demos with Nintendo, and they've posted them to YouTube - many of them with direct feed footage - so I'll be watching it all this weekend (husband will be out of town, so this is the perfect opportunity to do a BotW marathon).

I'm hearing that no two playthroughs are the same, which would be pretty remarkable.

Coffinhal

Because that Wind Waker UI is built around a pre-determined set of items that you're collecting, with a specific layout in mind. You're not navigating half a dozen shields, swords, cooking ingredients etc. All those WW icons are easily identifiable from their silhouette and color, but that's not going to be the case for all the gear and ingredients in BotW. A minimal UI to focus attention on the specific items is a better solution.

You're off-topic here. You could easily work out something that is not generic and transparent and still have something effective when it comes to finding the right items. I just want an art style that is more in the Zelda theme so it doesn't break immersion. WW remaster is already simpler, cleaner than WW original btw, but kept the art style.

Also, there's plenty of screen space unused or miused in the actual BOTW UI. But I can't judge if it's effective without playing it, and that's the question I brought.

sonto340

Yeah. It makes me feel like it was edited in the same day, minutes before the presentation. And that's probably what happened. My guess is that they realized there was something they didn't want to show and removed it.
Nah. The audio starts cutting an warbling before the cut and the quick flashes between link and calamity Ganon are timed in the same way.

Anteo

They actually have a section of the treehouse demo were they compare the opening of the game to this image you posted.
They even point out there are a chain of mountains that look similar to the one on that image that you can see at the begining of the game.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - The NES Connection - Nintendo E3 2016

rhandino

Banned

6t0Txia.png

The NES Connection vid is pretty great... ugh, I may rewatch some of the Treehouse sections this weekend because I cannot get enough of this game.

I could see boomerangs being a type of weapon that both doesn't auto-break when thrown and returns to Link when thrown (and makes for a really crappy melee weapon), and the hookshot could be a permanent item that is equipped like a bow that allows you to attach to any climbable surface.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
If the boomerang is in the game, I think it will also be breakable like every other weapons in the game.

As for the hookshot, we have climbing that kind of replace it.

Grappling Hook/Hookshot/Clawshot should still be in the game though. Climbing is slow and having one of the latter two could be a great late game or difficult find to reward players with fast scaling abilities.

Grappling Hook/Hookshot/Clawshot should still be in the game though. Climbing is slow and having one of the latter two could be a great late game or difficult find to reward players with fast scaling abilities.

You are right. I didn't think of that.

Could be nice to have a hookshot/paraglider/shieldsurfing combo.

majik13

If the boomerang is in the game, I think it will also be breakable like every other weapons in the game.

As for the hookshot, we have climbing that kind of replace it.

hookshot is used for a lot more than climbing. Grabbing items, specific enemy/boss combat, puzzles, etc. Also its much more effective, faster and funner than climbing. ID be really surprised if its not in the game.

KingBroly

Banned
Maybe I'm wrong, but I feel like the Master Sword is an item that'd break this game's logic. You can't break the Master Sword. World's kinda screwed if it does. In a game built on weapons breaking, an unbreakable weapon destroys that entire system.

So I'm guessing we don't get it, or it's a one-fight use against Ganon.

lordy88

Maybe I'm wrong, but I feel like the Master Sword is an item that'd break this game's logic. You can't break the Master Sword. World's kinda screwed if it does. In a game built on weapons breaking, an unbreakable weapon destroys that entire system.

I was imaging that the Master Sword would be a good but not great sword that would never break.

Essentially one that you can depend on, but you have a lot of incentive once you get deeper into the game to keep trying new, more powerful weapons.

But of course, as you mentioned, you'll have to defeat Ganon at some point with the Master Sword.

BY2K

Membero Americo

I don't know, with it being front and center in the trailer and fully featured in the logo and all.

I think this is where the rust comes into play. You'll get the sword but it will be so shit you'd be better off using other weapons until you restore it and upgrade it.

sinxtanx

if the Master Sword is an entirely optional ten sidequests deep super hard weapon get that unlocks the true ending I'll be all right with it

or you find it during the main quest but it's shit for obvious reasons so you go on an adventure to restore it (wouldn't want it to be the strongest weapon against regular enemies, but Ganon should go down like a punk to the ultimate form)

Aonuma said that the player could go straight to the final boss, I'd assume that means missing the Master Sword

It's such a random thing, but I've been wondering how long it'll take me to find my first Piece of Heart in such a huge world, and how long the time between finding each one will be. I wonder if some are in the shrines. Maybe they'll be more exclusively tied to sidequests since they'd be so much easier to miss in random places in this game.

CassSept

Skyward Sword had breakable shields with Hylian Shield being unbreakable, so there's a precedent. The game could have easily been played without a shield altogether though.

Sylas

Alternatively: It's a shorter-range weapon and not very good against armored opponents or opponents that excel at keeping you at range. There's a lot they can do with weapon balance that doesn't have to rely on weapons constantly breaking.

gardfish

what about the bow and bombs we have already seen? and what exactly are runes?

Bombs are actually runes this time around, while bows are in a separate breakable category like swords and other melee weapons. I think they're saying that we're not going to be finding, say, breakable Hookshots; instead that functionality will be added to the Sheikah Slate as a separate power.

Runes are those interesting, physics-based powers that we've seen with the Sheikah Slate. So far we have the magnet rune, the ice pillar rune, the time-freezing rune, and the bomb rune.

Alexlf

I'm betting that dungeons specifically will provide "Hero" items, ie stuff like "Hero's Bow" that won't ever break, but are entirely optional. Collecting all the Hero items, (including the Master Sword) will net you a special ending.

TheMoon

Master Sword shown as rusty and withered = useless until "resurrected" or infused with Time Shift stone to essentially return it to its prior state, building on that theory that's going around atm.

what-ok

I'm betting that dungeons specifically will provide "Hero" items, ie stuff like "Hero's Bow" that won't ever break, but are entirely optional. Collecting all the Hero items, (including the Master Sword) will net you a special ending.
Yep! Was thinking the same thing.

majik13

Bombs are actually runes this time around, while bows are in a separate breakable category like swords and other melee weapons. I think they're saying that we're not going to be finding, say, breakable Hookshots; instead that functionality will be added to the Sheikah Slate as a separate power.

Runes are those interesting, physics-based powers that we've seen with the Sheikah Slate. So far we have the magnet rune, the ice pillar rune, the time-freezing rune, and the bomb rune.

ok, so basically runes, are more or less the standard special items/tools then. But yeah I dont think the hookshot would be a breakable item. But who knows.

Master Sword shown as rusty and withered = useless until "resurrected" or infused with Time Shift stone to essentially return it to its prior state, building on that theory that's going around atm.

I'm kinda hoping that the Master Sword crumbles when you find it.
And turns into a rune that you use to "summon" a Master Sword with some sort of limit on it.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
I really don't want to go on yet another quest to repower the Master Sword. For the pinnacle of evils bane shit needs to get recharged and reforged more time than my 14 year old cousins cell phone.

Dimmle

I bet boomerang and hookshot will be in the game in some form. I can see either becoming a rune. Can you imagine how great the hookshot would be in context of this overworld?

from the sheikah slate menu in the gameplay, it seem there might be another power, unless i missed one... what do you guys think it would be?

I suggest that some weapons should just turn dull (do minimal damage) until you sharpen/repair them. To me, that's the best way to balance important items with the durability system.

But this raises another issue, the reason you can throw weapons seems to be because they are disposable. They will either break, or you will lose track of it, maybe it falls off a cliff to never be seen again. So, will you be able to throw, and lose, something like the Master Sword? If you lose it, will it appear back in your inventory? Will it come to you like Thor's hammer?

I'm kinda hoping that the Master Sword crumbles when you find it.

Poor Fi...

That would be so symbolic of these two game's directions.

Top Bottom