• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Breath of the Wild is the official subtitle for Zelda U/NX, first gameplay trailer

RagnarokX

I wonder if the way dungeons work is you scan your Sheikah Slate and entry is permitted if you have the required runes and if you do not your map is updated to show the shrines you need to visit to get the required runes.

Soapbox Killer

Grand Nagus
Let me extrapolate from what we know:

Looks like it's in the post Wind Waker time line and further down past Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks. Also Link rocking the blue tunic is reminiscent of The hero of he winds outfit. "Breath" is interchanable with "Wind". Looks like the Master Sword was moved since it's not still stuck in the head of Ganondorf.

Can't be before the Wind Waker since there are no ruins in that world and since the flood only happens about 100 years after Link jumped back to the Twilight Princess Timeline, Hyrule would still have quite the populous.

dark souls + zelda. this is the reboot the series needed. finally a return to discovery, exploration, mystery, gear collection. so hype

Yado

I see a lot of conceptual appeal to what's going on, but the more that's shown the more concerns it raises. Wind Waker's approach to exploration allowed for a greater degree of randomness to the exploration, because the sea that filled the space between the islands could have all sorts of oddities pop up at any time, and then the islands themselves served as fixed landmarks that could be combed over. There was a very distinct loop where the player would see islands on the horizon and feel this draw towards them to discover what was there. I don't really get the same vibe from what's been shown here.

Additionally, many of the new mechanics simply have me wary. The magnet stuff feels reminiscent of the physics based stuff from Half-Life 2, which skirted by on how technically impressive it was at the time. But that stuff really has not aged well, with most of the puzzles feeling rudimentary, and combat encounters often breaking around these tools being abused. It doesn't help that powerful tools exist that aren't encumbered by the durability limits weapons have. The reusable bombs negated most of the open world encounters into almost nothing.

There are loads of collection/inventory mechanics, but what does it really build towards? Modern games that do indulge these concepts carry crafting systems, cooking systems, harsher survival elements, or multiplayer elements. As is, the loot elements here just seem too simplistic while still requiring needless management.

Not really picking up a real desire to wander around this open world either. The locations don't really feel like they have a history or story to tell, and the interactions with this element of nature Nintendo is trying to push just don't seem complex enough to be interesting for very long. There aren't enough pieces or types of AI interacting with one another to really create an environment that feels organic. If the enemy placements were less static or they had behaviors that moved beyond just sleeping around camp that'd go a long way, but this isn't that kind of game.

You do have to consider that the area they're running around in is a very, very small corner of the world, who knows what the enemies are like in other places.

Looks like it's in the post Wind Waker time line and further down past Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks. Also Link rocking the blue tunic is reminiscent of The hero of he winds outfit. "Breath" is interchanable with "Wind". Looks like the Master Sword was moved since it's not still stuck in the head of Ganondorf.

Can't be before the Wind Waker since there are no ruins in that world and since the flood only happens about 100 years after Link jumped back to the Twilight Princess Timeline, Hyrule would still have quite the populous.

Thats kinda impossible since apart from the Master Sword location (should be on ganon's head), in spirit tracks, a new and prosperous hyrule was found. Plus the Temple of time by no means should be present in the new-found Hyrule.

Only the presence of the Koroks sustain a post Wind Waker timeline

Scrawnton

Why does the game look so easy? Where are the enemies?

Open world adventures don't mean shit if there's no real sense of danger.

Not even close.

I'm not too worried about difficulty. It's obvious this is the start of the game, also they probably have damage meters changed due to this being a demo. Enemies being a push over from the get go is obvious.

Dunno if this was on the stream since I had to step away a bit, but Ash of GameXplain just tweeted some story details:

The darkness swirling around Hyrule Castle is "the Calamity Ganon." Appeared 100 years before BotW and laid waste to Hyrule
Hyrule Castle has been containing the Calamity Ganon ever since, but just barely
Source of this story info is in-game cutscenes and conversations with the old man.

RagnarokX

You're forgetting that there are 3 timelines for it to be set in. Wind Waker timeline is the least likely because this game would need to be set after OoT due to the Koroks and before Wind Waker since old Hyrule is lost forever.

Zelda U is set in the original Hyrule. Old man says this is the birthplace of Hyrule and the Temple of Time is here, but it's far away from where it should be according to SS and OoT.

This game is most likely in the Twilight Princess timeline or ALttP timeline.

I see a lot of conceptual appeal to what's going on, but the more that's shown the more concerns it raises. Wind Waker's approach to exploration allowed for a greater degree of randomness to the exploration, because the sea that filled the space between the islands could have all sorts of oddities pop up at any time, and then the islands themselves served as fixed landmarks that could be combed over. There was a very distinct loop where the player would see islands on the horizon and feel this draw towards them to discover what was there. I don't really get the same vibe from what's been shown here.

Additionally, many of the new mechanics simply have me wary. The magnet stuff feels reminiscent of the physics based stuff from Half-Life 2, which skirted by on how technically impressive it was at the time. But that stuff really has not aged well, with most of the puzzles feeling rudimentary, and combat encounters often breaking around these tools being abused. It doesn't help that powerful tools exist that aren't encumbered by the durability limits weapons have. The reusable bombs negated most of the open world encounters into almost nothing.

There are loads of collection/inventory mechanics, but what does it really build towards? Modern games that do indulge these concepts carry crafting systems, cooking systems, harsher survival elements, or multiplayer elements. As is, the loot elements here just seem too simplistic while still requiring needless management.

Not really picking up a real desire to wander around this open world either. The locations don't really feel like they have a history or story to tell, and the interactions with this element of nature Nintendo is trying to push just don't seem complex enough to be interesting for very long. There aren't enough pieces or types of AI interacting with one another to really create an environment that feels organic. If the enemy placements were less static or they had behaviors that moved beyond just sleeping around camp that'd go a long way, but this isn't that kind of game.

I basically agree with all this.

To be fair stuff like the Shine of Ressurection you start in, the ruined Temple of Time or the Guardians half buried did have the "history and story to tell" at least for me, but the fields are absent of that of course.

I dunno, hopefully it's just poor focus of the stream. Maybe once we get to more important areas or dungeons things will clear up a bit. The wandering and fighting in the same areas isn't encouraging, but then again, if there was a stream of Ocarina of Time where all they did was stay in the Field, it would look awful.

Talon

I'm less worried about the desolation of the open world after reading this:
There are dungeons, but they didn’t seem to be in the game’s demo. It was possible, though, to access a “shrine”. The shrines are mini-dungeons full of puzzles and that dole out rewards that amp up Link’s health and stamina. There are 100 or so shrines in the game, according to Aonuma. Their entrances also serve as fast-travel points.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
I much preferred the art direction of the original WiiU Zelda reveal but it still looks a lot better then Celda. I can live with this.

Day one.

Yeah sure, I know that, I don't expect to see big HD towns either but maybe some houses?

EDIT: oh it was a joke post, I feel naive and stupid as hell now :(

What the fuck. It actually looked like this? This is crazy. Talking about a huge downgrade. And i remember how Nintendo back then said it was all on Wii U. Should have known Wii U was never gonna do that. I'm sure the game will be enjoyable, but i can't deny being very disappointed with how it looks.

Soapbox Killer

Grand Nagus
Thats kinda impossible since apart from the Master Sword location (should be on ganon's head), in spirit tracks, a new and prosperous hyrule was found. Plus the Temple of time by no means should be present in the new-found Hyrule.

Only the presence of the Koroks sustain a post Wind Waker timeline

That's my point. This is Old Hyrule. The Master Sword does not appear again in the Ds Games. Also remember there are two Temples of Time in the Zelda world. The fact that the Old Man is gives us a hint of the world past.

Nickle

Cool Facts: Game of War has been a hit since July 2013
Why does the game look so easy? Where are the enemies?

Open world adventures don't mean shit if there's no real sense of danger.
It's designed to be the first area of the game, I imagine there'll be tougher enemies in more remote places.

Breath of The Wild still feels like a weird title to me. I still think of someone have bad breath when the name comes up. Maybe something like "Glades of the Wild" or something along that line. Ehhh it may just be my personal biases.

Nickle

Cool Facts: Game of War has been a hit since July 2013
What the fuck. It actually looked like this? This is crazy. Talking about a huge downgrade. And i remember how Nintendo back then said it was all on Wii U. Should have known Wii U was never gonna do that. I'm sure the game will be enjoyable, but i can't deny being very disappointed with how it looks.
That picture is a fan edit.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
You do have to consider that the area they're running around in is a very, very small corner of the world, who knows what the enemies are like in other places.
I'm sure there will be more complex enemies later in the game, but I'm specifically seeking a system that would create some kind of circle of life. Enemies just sit in their camps rather than hunt or survive, and I don't see the monsters really interacting with one another. The AI behavior doesn't facilitate unique experiences occurring in the overworld.

Top Bottom