• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Breath of the Wild is the official subtitle for Zelda U/NX, first gameplay trailer

Nairume

Banned
I always thought it would be a SS sequel, but after watching the reveal I noticed some familiar locations: The temple of time, the Bridge of Eldin, the Koroks from WW and what appears to be the place where SS Link left the master sword on.

I'm just excited to know just WHERE this game is in the timeline.
There's one more possible hint pertaining to the one NPC they did show that might suggest when it is

CDqneOW.jpg

TrueBlue

I just want to say that whoever they got to chose to voice the guide that is Definitely Not Zelda has nailed it from what admittedly little I've heard.

Granted, I'm a little biased because I'm a Brit, but still. It just works. She sounds lovely.

NimbusD

Even if he's meant to be thin i realized he has a super big head and small body, but not enough to be chibi or anything, so that's really weird.

See
nipple fix to!

LinkFix.gif

Welcome to the world of cartoons and anime. They generally have larger head/body ratio than real humans.

KevinCow

Banned
I like the HUD. That's been a running problem with 3D Zelda games, with Twilight Princess Wii probably being the height of its ridiculousness. But it seems they've simplified it:

- Health and currently selected items in the top left.
- Mini-map, sound meter, and something else on the bottom right.

And that's it. No constant huge buttons on the screen. Context sensitive prompts only appear when they're relevant.

hie

This looks so good. Charm in spades. Puts a smile on my face. I do think the comments on graphics are a bit odd though. This series has always been much more than cutting edge visuals.

the physicsy gameplay gif above speaks to it, but coming away from my Nintendo NY time with it today the thing that stood out most to me (most other stuff lived up to my lofty expectations I tried to avoid having) was that the combat is so far from trivialized. So much to say, but suffice it to say I'm extremely impressed.

lol at the above comment about the bland world

the physicsy gameplay gif above speaks to it, but coming away from my Nintendo NY time with it today the thing that stood out most to me (most other stuff lived up to my lofty expectations I tried to avoid having) was that the combat is so far from trivialized. So much to say, but suffice it to say I'm extremely impressed.

lol at the above comment about the bland world
You got to play it in NY today? Lucky asshole D:<

hemo memo

Gold Member
I like the HUD. That's been a running problem with 3D Zelda games, with Twilight Princess Wii probably being the height of its ridiculousness. But it seems they've simplified it:

And that's it. No constant huge buttons on the screen. Context sensitive prompts only appear when they're relevant.

I want to ask about that actually. What is it? Map and sound meter but what is that circle above it for?

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!

It is really nice. It's so great having a super unobtrusive UI. I think having an HD title for once helps with that. You get a crisper and cleaner image so it's OK to have smaller elements. And I'd be surprised if they didn't let you change the seize of those elements as well.

I want to ask about that actually. What is it? Map and sound meter but what is that circle above it for?

Temperature.

Aldric

Love everything, but is the game really going to do the pop up thing every time I pick up something like In skyward sword where I saw that damn monster claw like 45 times!

They specifically mention at some point during the exploration gameplay video that it only tells you what it is once and never reappears afterwards.

I wish the series had upgraded the swordplay more substantially since Ocarina. I remember playing Ninja Gaiden and then Dark Souls and thinking how much more satisfying the combat in those games was. Ocarina's combat was revolutionary for its time and is still fairly satisfying to this day with the side steps, backflips, and leaping attacks. Wind Waker tightened up the controls significantly and added parry mechanism, but the series hasn't evolved much since then... this looks to be more of the same.

The animation continues to be lacking. Animated animals has never been a strong point in the series, so I don't get why they chose to highlight it in this trailer unless there's going to be a reveal that Dr. Wily and Robotnik teamed up to turn all of the animals into robots.

The visuals looks decent, but the world looks really bland.

Zelda used to be my favorite series, but it obviously isn't for me anymore. Maybe the next one will be different (I have been saying this since Wind Waker). See you in 6 years.

Man, that's precisely how I feel :(

Of course I'm happy to see that you guys loved the game, but that makes me feel really weird. I'm a long-time Zelda fan and was very excited about this game, but now that I've seen it... well, OpinionatedCyborg described it perfectly, specially about the combat.

EDIT: I'm not saying it's bad or should be different, I just think Zelda might not be for me anymore.

Clearly not, since we've seen multiple NPCs in game who are not voiced.

It's not clear how much of the dialog is voiced, but so far it seems very little.

Still incredibly disappointed about this. I swear Nintendo, two steps forward and one step back. It's not good enough in this day and age.

Fucking pathetic.

Otnopolit

I'm just blown away. This is an incredible step forward, and the fact that the decision to go this route with the series is divisive among fans shows real risk on their part.

final game will probably also not have the onscreen slider for scrolling through weapons/runes/items (temporarily cluttering the HUD and pausing action). the gamepad screen was dedicated to displaying the basic controls for the demo, but the final game will most certainly allow you to have quick tap weapon/item swapping/usage rather than pausing whenever you want to eat some damn food or use that more powerful bow

Man, that's precisely how I feel :(

Of course I'm happy to see that you guys loved the game, but that makes me feel really weird. I'm a long-time Zelda fan and was very excited about this game, but now that I've seen it... well, OpinionatedCyborg described it perfectly, specially about the combat.

EDIT: I'm not saying it's bad or should be different, I just think Zelda might not be for me anymore.

have to disagree strongly with how you think the combat hasnt moved forward. despite how it may look, it feels weighty and meaningful. Mashing will only work against the gruntiest of grunts. Tons of ways to approach dudes and groups. Example Round em up in a corner by tossing a branch while staying Stealth's and crouched, then toss a bomb rune in and fuck em up. There are so many different weapons with wide ranging animations, hit boxes, attack speeds, damage ratings, combo moves, then anything can be thrown for crit hits that rapidly degrade the weapon...disarming foes mid combat, shielding very necessary against ranged, but then runes to allow for perfect dodges, back stabs and head shots for x2. Certain enemies might have subtle visual differences.to indicate 'leadership' which is better AI and more HP. Focusing down and killing a leader can cause the followers to flee... and I saw a bit of rare/magical weapon drops with stat boosts. also armor effects movement/stamina stats. I can already see 'underwear %' speedrun.

Illucio

Banned
There's one more possible hint pertaining to the one NPC they did show that might suggest when it is

CDqneOW.jpg

Pre-Wind Waker doesn't make too much sense since technology didn't become a thing until Spirit Tracks but even then its nowhere near the levels of the Sheika Tablet. My guess it takes far at the end of the Toon Link timeline long after Spirit Tracks.

ALTHOUGH. This game being in the Childhood timeline works as well because of the Bridge of Eldin.

The only one that doesn't work whatsoever is the Hero of Time failing to beat Ganon. :/

The main thing I'm worried about is the difficutly. All this crafting and upgrading won't mean much if the difficulty resembles previous Zelda games. Even if they want to make it more accessible, they could at least have a difficultly option from the start instead of making it unlockable at the end.

And yeah I saw the rock boss but he only had 3 hearts and there were some enemies in other Zelda games that took out that many.

Scrawnton

Pre-Wind Waker doesn't make too much sense since technology didn't become a thing until Spirit Tracks but even then its nowhere near the levels of the Sheika Tablet. My guess it takes far at the end of the Toon Link timeline long after Spirit Tracks.

ALTHOUGH. This game being in the Childhood timeline works as well because of the Bridge of Eldin.

The only one that doesn't work whatsoever is the Hero of Time failing to beat Ganon. :/

Part of me really wished this game had no subtitle and was just a reboot of the entire series.

The main thing I'm worried about is the difficutly. All this crafting and upgrading won't mean much if the difficulty resembles previous Zelda games. Even if they want to make it more accessible, they could at least have a difficultly option from the start instead of making it unlockable at the end.

And yeah I saw the rock boss but he only had 3 hearts and there were some enemies in other Zelda games that took out that many.

There was another enemy in one of the demos that took out six hearts.

It's not just the Rock boss, hazards like spike balls deal 1 and a half hearts, Guardians can deal up to 6 whole hearts, Blue enemies can deal much more damage too.

In general, the damage output from enemies and the environment is much higher then previous games.

BY2K

Membero Americo

The Guardians do 5 hearts of damage in one hit with their laser and you can encounter them right at the beginning of the game where you have 3.

I think difficulty will be fine.

watershed

Banned
Finally off work, I can finally absorb all this Zelda content. That trailer looks amazing. I love the world they've built.

Now I just hope the NX is a handheld/has a handheld model, as that's how I do all my gaming these days and would love to play this game on the NX.

Still incredibly disappointed about this. I swear Nintendo, two steps forward and one step back. It's not good enough in this day and age.

Fucking pathetic.

One NPC and over 100 old men who give you orbs don't have voiced dialogue in a demo that was clearly stated to be holding back for an E3 conference. Cry me a river.

Zarovitch

yeah you're right, i hope for a kind of hero mode at the start.

Everything else of the game is for me. I like a LOT to explore, and not many games give that to me.

wishdom

Well the boss is located in the first region and all we saw accounts for 1% of the whole game, who knows how the difficulty ramps up.

It's not just the Rock boss, hazards like spike balls deal 1 and a half hearts, Guardians can deal up to 6 whole hearts, Blue enemies can deal much more damage too.

In general, the damage output from enemies and the environment is much higher then previous games.
Oh thats cool. Well I guess it's fine then. I could see some people doing nude runs lol

The Guardians do 5 hearts of damage in one hit with their laser and you can encounter them right at the beginning of the game where you have 3.

I think difficulty will be fine.

I'd agree, except for the enemy at the beginning (bokoblin I think, can't remember) that did a quarter heart damage.

Quarter heart damage should be banned from Zelda.

ASIS

I just want to say that whoever they got to chose to voice the guide that is Definitely Not Zelda has nailed it from what admittedly little I've heard.

Granted, I'm a little biased because I'm a Brit, but still. It just works. She sounds lovely.

British accents work because they are older. We always associate the american accent with modernity, and while this game isn't exactly medieval, it's still a lot closer to that than an industrialized world. But I agree the voice acting was on point.

Ridley327

I'd agree, except for the enemy at the beginning (bokoblin I think, can't remember) that did a quarter heart damage.

Quarter heart damage should be banned from Zelda.

Bokoblins have always been trash mob fodder. It's in the job description.

Just saw the GIF with the TP looking Wolf.

Can someone explain wtf that is?

If you have the Wolf Link Amiibo, you can scan him into the game at get a temporary Wolf Link companion to fight alongside you.

ss-04nov2011-01-620x430.jpg

Skyward Sword has (precursor?) technology that actually seems to resemble the tech in the Guardians and the Shrines.

breakfuss

I'm about a day late but i just watched the trailer on the eshop. Amazing lol. Still Nintendo manages to take my breath (heh) away.

There's gonna be more voice acting in the game, Aonuma confirmed it in an interview. Link won't be voiced.

EVERYONE should be voiced minus Link. Anything other than that is not good enough. It looked awful. It's not 1998 anymore FFS.

One NPC and over 100 old men who give you orbs don't have voiced dialogue in a demo that was clearly stated to be holding back for an E3 conference. Cry me a river.

You think those NPC's didn't have voice acting just for the demo? LOL.

Feltrol

Banned
As I posted before, some locations seemed familiar, so I decided to list them in this post:

Temple of Time
6_Hero01_Large.jpg

Ocarina of Time

UvwsV9q.png

Breath of the Wild

NOTE: Even the game marks that same location as the "Temple of Time", so I'm pretty sure it is OoT's one after all.

Bridge of Eldin
Bridge_of_Eldin_2.jpg

Twilight Princess

Eh5sutq.png

Breath of the Wild

Master Sword Resting Place
RqfEnFH.png

Skyward Sword

MIOgXTj.png

Breath of the Wild

Thought I know it appears to be from LTTP rather than SS, I though that SS's background fitted more the place where the Master Sword currently resides in Breath of the Wild

We also have...

kObq9UU.png

...a Korok from The Wind Waker. Also adding what user Nairmune posted, which caught my attention too:

CDqneOW.jpg

All these possible connections keep me paranoid: A sequel to Skyward Sword?! a sequel to Spirit Tracks?!. Is this some sort of timeline mash-up, just like in Dark Souls 3? I'm excited to know!

Top Bottom