• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Breath of the Wild is the official subtitle for Zelda U/NX, first gameplay trailer

skrmbillede2016-06-14kcktl.png

skrmbillede2016-06-14x2qbm.png

So anyone think Nintendo snuck in the NX version?

dancmc

The only question left for me is whether I will be able to buy the NX version when this game first launches, or whether the wii u version will be out sooner. Then what to do

Mory Dunz

So...if Link has been asleep 100 years, and king hyrule lookalike is talking to him....and asks him if he recognizes the voice (i'm assuming zelda)...

has "this" link already saved the world and stuff? Is he woke?

Metaroo

That trailer is jaw dropping. I didn't really detect any LoZ musical motifs on the first watch through ... I'll have to watch it over again. Really excited if they're just going for completely new music.

Tadpole

If the story turns out to be as epic as the scope of the world... we may have the OOT killer we've all been waiting for. Wow.

Feltrol

Banned
So...if Link has been asleep 100 years, and king hyrule lookalike is talking to him....and asks him if he recognizes the voice (i'm assuming zelda)...

I thought so, too! They made it look like that's the case.
Another question that will take months to answer, however.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Hope not. That doesn't look technically impressive.

NX version will just be uprezzed and smoother framerate, probably significantly less pop-in. But stills showing closeups will probably look very similar

Nah, I think this Link is a clone of a Link who failed spectacularily. This is his "second chance" to right his wrongs. This will be the big mid-game reveal. I mean it's called Shrine of Resurrection, not Shrine of Awakening.

Mory Dunz

NX version will just be uprezzed and smoother framerate, probably significantly less pop-in. But stills showing closeups will probably look very similar

Nah, I think this Link is a clone of a Link who failed spectacularily. This is his "second chance" to right his wrongs. This will be the big mid-game reveal. I mean it's called Shrine of Resurrection, not Shrine of Awakening.

Oh it's called ressurection?

Eff, I want to see Link being killed 100 years ago.

Is it weird that I want a cinematic scene with Link dying...?
...no.

MuchoMalo

Banned
Hope not. That doesn't look technically impressive.

I doubt they would rework the NX version beyond 1080p and more AA, perhaps with better textures. (In other words, just like your average remaster.) Though, we really have no idea how powerful NX is at this point, with so many conflicting rumors.

At best I expect the NX version to have

• Better AA
  • Higher shadow samples
  • Increased texture res
  • Greater performance (dependant on the Wii U spec... 720>1080, 30>60 eg.)

gamerMan

I have mixed feelings on this. Exploring the world looks fun. While this is the most interesting overworld Nintendo has ever created in a Zelda game, I feel they may have sacrificed other areas. Here are my reservations.

• No real dungeons or too few - Where are the dungeons? I play Zelda games for the amazing dungeons. We might get less dungeons here and it seems like standard dungeons are being replaced with the Trials. These mini dungeons not only look all the same, but the level designs are too simple. The only interesting one was the last one they showed.
  • Lack Of Voice Overs/ facial animation - Hopefully the main characters all have voice acting and facial animation. It appears just the narration is voice acted. NPCs are mute.
  • Not designed for Wii U - While I love the art style better, I feel Wind Waker looks better. It appears that the Wii U is struggling with this game. The image quality is at times atrocious with obvious pop up and frame drops. The stream sometimes looked like an N64 game with very blurry textures. Hopefully, performance on the NX will be better but Aonuma said it would be the same experience.
  • Lack Of Enemy types
  • No real music during gameplay
  • Lack Of Challenge - I know Nintendo only showed the beginning of the game but I hope this game brings back the challenge of the 2D games.

Looks stunning.

For so much it lacks in technical finesse it makes up with its color palette, the cel shaded shadows and the distinct look. I'm very impressed.
Twilight Princess and even Skyward Sword didn't have art styles that really moved me.

But this game, is a mix of Wind Waker and N64 Zelda. I think it looks fantastic. I love the oversatured colors. I love the friendly atmosphere. After all this witcher, skyrim, dragons dogma, fantasy MMOs, it feels nice with a lighthearted universe that draws me into itself the same way a good fantasy Ghibli film does.

I don't want to own a Nintendo console, because I don't want to be invested in more than one console ecosystem when I finally take the plunge. But this game looks stellar. A slam dunk for Nintendo. Such a distinct look at feel we've not seen since Wind Waker.

RagnarokX

I've translated most of the Zelda U Hylian I could. Some funny stuff hidden in the game.

laAale3.jpg

The doors to every shrine have DUNGEON written across them repeatedly

ML8sIMp.jpg

The doors that seal Link inside the chamber he awakens in say SHUTOUT at the bottom.

SBSpACf.jpg

When Link puts the Sheikah Slate on a pedestal to gain a new rune it says NOW LOADING DO NOT TURN OFF YOUR... the words that follow appear to be BASE/CASE ARE but that doesn't make sense.

CVE9Vpp.jpg

The area where the sheikah sits at the end of a shrine says GOALPOINT

kwwoAXO.jpg

The Hylian text below each named area on the map just says REGION
At the bottom is SHEAKERSTONE, which is probably engrish for Sheikah Stone.

Theorymon

Heh, maybe the Koroks are a red herring, and we're actually in that "Ganon won" timeline of Ocarina of Time. That'd mean that maybe this link is the actual Hero of Time who Ganon defeated!

I have mixed feelings on this. Exploring the world looks fun. While this is the most interesting overworld Nintendo has ever created in a Zelda game, I feel they may have sacrificed other areas. Here are my reservations.

• No real dungeons or too few - Where are the dungeons? I play Zelda games for the amazing dungeons. We might get less dungeons here and it seems like standard dungeons are being replaced with the Trials. These mini dungeons not only look all the same, but the level designs are too simple. The only interesting one was the last one they showed.
  • Lack Of Voice Overs/ facial animation - Hopefully the main characters all have voice acting and facial animation. It appears just the narration is voice acted. NPCs are mute.
  • Not designed for Wii U - While I love the art style better, I feel Wind Waker looks better. It appears that the Wii U is struggling with this game. The image quality is at times atrocious with obvious pop up and frame drops. The stream sometimes looked like an N64 game with very blurry textures. Hopefully, performance on the NX will be better but Aonuma said it would be the same experience.
  • Lack Of Enemy types
  • Lack Of Challenge - I know Nintendo only showed the beginning of the game but I hope this game brings back the challenge of the 2D games.

Most of your concern were actually answered during the 5 hour stream. I dont have time stamps, but your not going to have to worry about some of these things

KingBroly

Banned

• Lack Of Enemy types

I guess you missed the Guardians one shotting Link

The game's not done yet. Dunno why people can't get over that sometimes.

Chaos17

• Lack Of Enemy types

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1233823

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Awesome looking!

Mind teaching me your ways?

We haven't seen the NX version yet.

Photoshop, someone posted the super hires press screens and two were of the logos only. Just erased the black backgrounds on them and soaked them on two of the better hires screens and resized and positioned. Took all of like 30 seconds each.

That trailer is jaw dropping. I didn't really detect any LoZ musical motifs on the first watch through ... I'll have to watch it over again. Really excited if they're just going for completely new music.

There's a single strain of the classic LoZ theme at 2:38

Also, the very first piano hit is reminiscent of the iconic piano in the title theme of OOT.

The musical DNA of the series is in there, but incredibly subtle. It really evokes the feeling of a long forgetten past, which is very cool.

Feltrol

Banned
Photoshop, someone posted the super hires press screens and two were of the logos only. Just erased the black backgrounds on them and soaked them on two of the better hires screens and resized and positioned. Took all of like 30 seconds each.

Better get working on my photoshop skills, then. Thank you!

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking

[*]No real dungeons or too few - Where are the dungeons? I play Zelda games for the amazing dungeons. We might get less dungeons here and it seems like standard dungeons are being replaced with the Trials. These mini dungeons not only look all the same, but the level designs are too simple. The only interesting one was the last one they showed.

They have not revealed anything about dungeons except for the fact that they are distinct from the shrines. While the shrines share a common motif and tech design style, there are some differences. Since there are 100+ of them, I don't think your concern about designs and challenge are valid at this time.

[*]Lack Of Voice Overs/ facial animation - Hopefully the main characters all have voice acting and facial animation. It appears just the narration is voice acted. NPCs are mute.

Aonuma confirmed that there will be multiple voices. So throw that reservation out the window. Whether they will be any good is a different concern. The narrator voice is promising though.

[*]Not designed for Wii U - While I love the art style better, I feel Wind Waker looks better. It appears that the Wii U is struggling with this game. The image quality is at times atrocious with obvious pop up and frame drops. The stream sometimes looked like an N64 game with very blurry textures. Hopefully, performance on the NX will be better but Aonuma said it would be the same experience.

I have no idea what not designed for Wii U means. In terms of art style, that's completely subjective, and I think they did a good job blending all three prior main console entries here.

In terms of performance, they have lots of time to iron things out. Keep in mind also this is a large game and I would imagine compromises will have to be made compared to something like WWHD. I would personally cut them some slack, but that's me.

The N64 game comment is pretty ridiculous and bad streams obviously has no relevance to the visual quality of the game. I was also concerned by the Check out the offscreen trailer in its own seperate thread. The colours seem to pop a lot better.

[*]Lack Of Enemy types

Doubtful that will be an issue in the final game. That being said, I feel like SS did suffer a bit from this. Hopefully they've learned from it.

[*]No real music during gameplay

Untrue during combat. The overworld atmospheric music style is a deliberate design choice that fits the exploratory tone of the game. Your mileage may vary.

[*]Lack Of Challenge - I know Nintendo only showed the beginning of the game but I hope this game brings back the challenge of the 2D games.

The 2D games are all pretty easy. Challenge is not really something that's a priority in Zelda games, but I'm sure the later shrines will up the ante.

Clauss

I held off on the Wii U for so long. At this point, I'll most definitely just wait for the NX. Assuming it'll be a full fledged platform that is?

UrbanRats

You know exactly what I meant, don't play dumb and throw me the "Its unrelated" bone

No i don't.
I'm criticizing the visual rendition of the over-map, and you're telling me "but the combat is fun".
The hell does that mean?

It's like if you said that the combat in Dragon's Dogma was good, and i said "but the story in Witcher 3 is better written"... so what? I'm not talking about that.

Top Bottom