• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Breath of the Wild is the official subtitle for Zelda U/NX, first gameplay trailer

nikatapi

Well, besides the game looking pretty much the best thing that's going to be on WiiU, i still wonder what gamepad features (besides off-tv play) it will have.

As far as i know, there's not going to be a map on the gamepad, and i didn't see any inventory management done on the controller. Maybe they are moving away from the gamepad concept for the NX, and they don't want the WiiU game to feel better in some aspects?

Striek

Just got home and watched this. Damned exciting trailer, great music, VA, hints of the world. Very good stuff, better than I was expecting!

There is still a lot of questions and sure things could be disappointing, but I think optimism instead of cynicism is warranted here :)

Do we know why Link has been asleep for 100 years? I haven't really played a Zelda game outside of Majora's Mask but I've always loved the franchise and followed it pretty closely.
Also maining Sheik and Link in Smash

I have a theory.

Perhaps after the Calamity Ganon breaks out, they accept their fate and the Sheikah send the royal family + the chosen hero into stasis to come out and vanquish it later. Link is the first one to wake up and then encounters Zelda somewhere at another shrine deep in the game, and the Master Sword is left decayed because no one has arisen to pull it.

Bishop89

Im not really a zelda fan. I love the zelda type games like 3d dot game heroes or darksiders etc.. but zelda itself ive never been a fan of, just have always hated the designs.

Having said that, this game actually looks pretty fun, and the visuals are very charming and pretty cool.

spxxOvV.gif

giphy.gif

Im hoping NX doesnt have some gimmicky controller, otherwise i'll never be playing this.

Well, besides the game looking pretty much the best thing that's going to be on WiiU, i still wonder what gamepad features (besides off-tv play) it will have.

As far as i know, there's not going to be a map on the gamepad, and i didn't see any inventory management done on the controller. Maybe they are moving away from the gamepad concept for the NX, and they don't want the WiiU game to feel better in some aspects?

Chris Kohler on Twitter confirmed on twitter that is just the map screen and not much else. The Sheikah tablet seems to infer that the gamepad played a larger role until the NX got in too.

Kaze Kyou

Too many pages to sift through but damn that's exactly the Zelda I was looking for.

A lot of criticism seems to come from the "empty over world", but I interpret it as a truly 3D version of the original Zelda, where you have to search these seemingly "empty spaces" for secrets and discoveries.

And as for the graphics, I'm loving the Ghibli feel they've managed to create. The Wticher 3 was beautiful as hell, but I doubt it would be able to recreate the Miyazaki feeing.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Catching up the trailer and details after a long shitty day at work.

Love pretty much every so far. Conceptually and mechanically looks to do some wonderful things with the open world premise and the Zelda franchise. Really does seem like it's harkening back to the series roots, literally back to the very first.

Not sold on stuff like item drops and durability. Nintendo hasn't done this "right" yet in my opinion and I'm not convinced loot shit has a place in Zelda. We'll see.

Like the art, but the tech looks terribly dated. Reality is I've been spoiled by open world games on PC hardware, or at least modern hardware, which the Wii U is not. The limitations in draw distance and scene density are painfully obvious and I don't feel the art, as nice as it is, does it any particular favours. The immediate proximity of Link always looks great, meanwhile everything on the horizon is devoid of detail. Really, really want to see the NX build.

Anyway get hype etc etc. Looks like a solid direction for the series.

Chris Kohler on Twitter confirmed on twitter that is just the map screen and not much else. The Sheikah tablet seems to infer that the gamepad played a larger role until the NX got in too.

It's not even the map anymore....just the control layout. The Gamepad is only used for off-TV play now.

Burny

spxxOvV.gif

giphy.gif

Im hoping NX doesnt have some gimmicky controller, otherwise i'll never be playing this.

Oh, I'd love gyro aiming for the bow. ;p I've only used it for Metroid Blast in Nintendoland, but it just always felt absolutely right and accurate. I'd hope the NX (and the game) will at least also have that capability, if nothing else, then as an option.

I'm also in the "technically unimpressive crowd". But I'm impressed by the style, which for me always trumps the raw tech. Those stylized explosions and the fire look absolutely convincing in my book.

For me the fact that its a massive physics simulation, is enough for a compromise on the visual tech which is still absurdly competent in the lighting department. Game is probably a technical marvel on the Wii U all said and done. They made all the right sacrifices.

YAWN

Ask me which Shakespeare novel is best
I just can't wait to see what new races await us. Please let Twili make an appearance please please please please

Regarding Aonuma wanting to wait on explaining how towns/populations will work:

Since timemanipulation seems to play a role and all the buildings we saw so far are ruins, my guess would be, that you will travel in time and visit some of these locations when they where still populated.

Ricky 7

Wow, this game looks amazing. Looks like they're trying to get rid of all the boring stuff present in the other Zelda games.

Is there any chance of the NX version looking like the original trailer they showed a few years back? It's utterly gorgeous anyway but having something resembling closer to that would be excellent.

RagnarokX

Since timemanipulation seems to play a role and all the buildings we saw so far are ruins, my guess would be, that you will travel in time and visit some of these locations when they where still populated.
The plateau is a place where no people can go; its cut off from the rest of the world. The old man is the only person in this region. We've seen towns and villages in other regions in previous previews.

Maiar_m

My guess as Well, Bill also mentioned it. The wildness and relative emptiness of the plain should be not so obvious if you can travel back and forth between a time pre / during / post guardian crisis.

Gambit

I am well aware of that, yet we know absolutely nothing about the NX port. I wrote NX3 to reference a future remaster that would hypothetically look better than the Wii U version.

Shiggy, it seems all your jokes today are falling rather flat.

One would think the contradicting criticisms and the weather would have tipped people off, but nope.

I think it's because Fox looks too serious. Bring back Shiggy!

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
I haven't played many Zelda games but this looks amazing and I will definitely be picking it up on NX. Kinda tempted to buy a 3DS again to play through OOT/ALBW again and give Majora's Mask a go.

Luigiv

It's not even the map anymore....just the control layout. The Gamepad is only used for off-TV play now.

Yeah that's not staying in the final game, it's clearly just something they're doing for the demo. I expect the map and inventory to be usable on the gamepad screen for the retail release.

Branduil

I understand why people don't like the idea of item durability, but I think there's a very deliberate reason for that. From what we've seen so far, I think Aonuma and the Zelda team very much want to encourage a "scavenging" playstyle, where you're thinking about how to handle encounters on your feet, as opposed to just hoarding the best weapons and using them every single time.

I also imagine that as you progress in the game you get much more durable and better weapons until you get the master sword and your playstyle can change.

MuchoMalo

Banned
This footage, sparse and aliased as it is, has me thinking about the NX and the power difference.

Here I was hoping Nintendo would finally be somewhat competitive again by launching something around as powerful as an XBO.

But from (the admittedly little) what I have heard it is supposedly less powerful than an XBO by a significant amount? And with Scorpio and Neo releasing, NX will be leapfrogged again.

I just want to see a technologically competitive Nintendo console again..

I want to see Zelda, Metroid, Mario, Donky Kong, etc at E3 along side Halo 6, The Last of Us 2, etc and be wowed by the fidelity.

I am afraid this will never happen again though. Damn I miss the Gamecube.

We don't know anything at this point. Emily Rogers said something to that effect, but her track record, while pretty good, isn't perfect, and her wording stumbled over itself. Thomas Mahler said that it's significantly weaker due to being a hybrid, but he doesn't actually have a kit so he might be wrong as well. At the same time, several people have said that it can run any current-gen game. Rumors are all over the place. Just wait a few months.

First off, all we have are a million conflicting rumors. Secondly, the confusion seems to come down to clock speeds. They hear one number, but that same number on more advanced chips is way more efficient and powerful than it would be compared to a 2013 chips. Numbers on paper, and it's practical real world potential can differ. We have someone reporting one, while others the former. Whatever they do, the last fucking thing they need is to compete head to head directly with 2 competitors who would gladly take profit loss for market share. Nintendo isn't that company.

Actually, it would be more likely that the number of cores is close to Xbone while the clock speed is much higher.

Phoenixus

Slightly off topic, but I love those blue t-shirts with the new sheikah symbol on them. I hope they become available to purchase at some point.

E-phonk

Banned
Yeah that's not staying in the final game, it's clearly just something they're doing for the demo. I expect the map and inventory to be usable on the gamepad screen for the retail release.

Apparently not - there was a quote somewhere (eurogamer? not sure) saying they took the map out on purpose. The final game won't have it either.

Nibel

So here's my take on this:

IIRC the map of Zelda: BOW was on the Gamepad and people rightfully expected more features to be on the Gamepad, stuff like an inventory and additional gimmick stuff.

Now they came out not only saying that the game is completely playable with a pro controller, but they also ditched the entire Gamepad stuff: the map is on the game screen just like the inventory and equipment screens, there hasn't been any touchpad-related stuff in the game and also no waggle in sight.

What I can conclude from this is that the NX might launch with a more traditional controller instead of some gimmick

WHAT? With such a large and important inventory you can't use the gamepad? After putting it in so many games?
Impossible. They're going to add it later. Can't believe it.

E-phonk

Banned
WHAT? With such a large and important inventory you can't use the gamepad? After putting it in so many games?
Impossible. They're going to add it later. Can't believe it.

That would make the NX version inferior in some way, and they might not want to give that impression.

Top Bottom