• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Breath of the Wild is the official subtitle for Zelda U/NX, first gameplay trailer

RagnarokX

I've figured out a few more characters, so here's an update to the Zelda U Hylian alphabet cipher:

HwPwmdW.jpg

Figured out C, K, and M. J, Q, V, and X are the only ones left but I'm pretty sure I know what V is.

40aYZCW.jpg

The towers dotted around Hyrule say SHEAKTOWER. Sheak = sheikah, obviously.

DTiw8Al.jpg

The tub that Link wakes up in at the start of the game. The only letters that weren't too blurry to read were NITCARE. I'm pretty sure it's repeating characters that probably spell out CARE UNIT.

aytfGEg.jpg

CLOCK and THERMOMETER.

Update:

ITHPfKu.jpg

This gyroscope mechanism has GYROS written on it.

mfiDN0q.jpg

ROTATE

Previous translations:

laAale3.jpg

The doors to every shrine have DUNGEON written across them repeatedly

ML8sIMp.jpg

The doors that seal Link inside the chamber he awakens in say SHUTOUT at the bottom. This word appears on other locked doors and gates throughout the world.

GtIJQg5.jpg

When Link puts the Sheikah Slate on a pedestal to gain a new rune it says
NOW LOADING
DO NOT TURN OFF
ALL YOUR BASE ARE

CVE9Vpp.jpg

The area where the sheikah sits at the end of a shrine says GOALPOINT

kwwoAXO.jpg

The Hylian text below each named area on the map just says REGION
At the bottom is SHEAKERSTONE, which is probably engrish for Sheikah Stone.

ReyVGM

After seeing this game we can be sure that Nintendo NX:

1) Will not have a second screen

2) It will have at least the same number of buttons as the Wii U

And probably more

Yep. Comments from the people that have played it say the Wii U Controller doesn't even show anything on the second screen (just the control scheme).
The hypothesis is that the game once had Wii U tablet interaction (as seen in TGA 2014 footage) but was removed because of the NX.

I guess they didn't want to have a bunch of cool features on the Wii U that could be done with the gamepad, and then have the NX version not being able to do it in the same manner.

Tall4Life

I just thought of something that might eliminate BotW from being in the Wind Waker timeline. Maybe.

The theory I've heard with this is that BotW is an unflooded Old Hyrule. Some things seem to align with that, as the Koroks exist. However, I see one problem...

So at the end of Wind Waker Ganon is impaled with the Master Sword in the fucking skull. Link leaves it there and sails off to settle New Hyrule. Link doesn't get the sword back. In one scenario, the sword might still be in Ganon's skull. We see the Master Sword in what's likely the Lost Woods or a version of it. Unless Ganon's skull became a stone pedestal, I think that's out of the window.

Another scenario is that there was erosion or something and the Master Sword floated away and eventually stopped somewhere. Again, it wouldn't be on the pedestal either. We see it firmly in the ground.

Altogether, unless 1) People settled Old Hyrule again, there was someone who found the Master Sword and put it on a pedestal in the Lost Woods or 2) The sword just magically found its way back there, I think that might discount BotW being in the Wind Waker timeline.

Unless that's not the Master Sword and its actually something like the Phantom Sword in which case this whole post is pointless

Yeah that's not staying in the final game, it's clearly just something they're doing for the demo. I expect the map and inventory to be usable on the gamepad screen for the retail release.

Aounuma has specifically stated the map is no longer going to be used on the Gamepad screen. I'll look for a link to his comments.

Edit - It's from a Kotaku article, but it's already been linked earlier in this thread.

Tritroid

How does this function as a Wind Waker sequel? Takes place several centuries after, when the waters have receded? After a super advanced civilization has come and gone? Must be thousands of years. And there's a Goddess statue from Skyward Sword there as well.

I'm guessing the inclusion of the Koroks don't mean much and this is really a SS sequel. Which still doesn't explain the overabundance of the sci-fi shit, but whatever.
Yeah, it would have to be well after the oceans from Wind Waker have dried up, which would be royally confusing because by that time, the Zelda + Link from the Wind Waker era (and their descendants) would have already moved on to the 'new' Hyrule in Spirit Tracks, which is an entirely new land.

So we're talking a possibility for it to be multiple centuries after Wind Waker, perhaps even a millennium.

It couldn't be a direct sequel to SS, simply because the Temple of Time is there. That at least puts it at some point after OoT, theoretically in one of the 3 split timelines. Why there's a Hylia statue INSIDE the ruins of the Temple of Time though I have no idea, unless the Goddess had to intervene again at some point prior to this game.

Arttemis

I've figured out a few more characters, so here's an update to the Zelda U Hylian alphabet cipher:

HwPwmdW.jpg

Figured out C, K, and M. J, Q, V, and X are the only ones left but I'm pretty sure I know what V is.

40aYZCW.jpg

DTiw8Al.jpg

The tub that Link wakes up in at the start of the game. The only letters that weren't too blurry to read were NITCARE. I'm pretty sure it's repeating characters that probably spell out CARE UNIT.

aytfGEg.jpg

CLOCK and THERMOMETER.

Previous translations:

laAale3.jpg

ML8sIMp.jpg

The doors that seal Link inside the chamber he awakens in say SHUTOUT at the bottom. This word appears on other locked doors and gates throughout the world.

GtIJQg5.jpg

NOW LOADING
DO NOT TURN OFF
ALL YOUR BASE ARE

CVE9Vpp.jpg

kwwoAXO.jpg

Damn fine sleuthing!

Peterc

My reaction
Things that are worrying/disappointing me:

- The world looks very empty with not a whole lot going on.
RE: Ever played wow? It's even 20x more less to do and mostly the same quests over and over again

- Pop-in.
RE: ?

- Another Zelda game that looks very easy.
RE: Ever played wow? It aslo have a easy start, i think most games does, so weird point

- The stamina meter should be on the side of the screen, not right next to Link.
RE: care

- The climbing looks ridiculously slow.
RE: But it isn't

- No voice acting for NPC's (really annoyed with this).
RE: Confirmed most will be voice acting, beside link whats good

Other than that it looks fairly solid. The trailer looked amazing, but the more gameplay I watch the more boring it kinda seems.
RE: Maybe other games will fit you better, ones with more cutscenes and smaller areas, linear kind of things

Still like wow :)

Lynx_7

A variety of locations and animals to hunt is not what people reference when they say it. In some Zelda games, the overworld is smaller but much denser: puzzles in every square inch, secrets on every screen. It was quite handcrafted, and so every part of the world felt intimate and brilliantly designed. By nature, when you increase a game world size exponentially, there is much less ability to hand design each little square mile of land, and you end up traveling a lot between interesting destinations instead of the overworld itself being another extension of those interesting areas.

I'm trying to think which Zelda overworld this applies to and honestly the only ones that come to mind are the 2D Zeldas such as ALTTP, ALBW, LA and so on. 3D Zeldas have never been known for having particularly dense overworlds and it's actually one of the major criticisms people throw against them.
BotW open world looks much richer and fun to traverse than any other 3D Zelda overworld yet.

Though Skyward Sword is a tricky one since you could argue the 3 main locations are what counts as its "overworld" instead of the barren sky, in which case they are denser and more intrinsically designed like you said, yes, but they're also laid out more like dungeons than an overworld, which is a different approach than every other 3D Zelda.

Amir0x

Banned
What 3D Zelda game has everything you just posted? OoT and twighlight princess has pretty boring over worlds. Skyward sword didn't really have one and wind waker was mostly water.

I didn't suggest otherwise. In fact, it has been a common complaint from some gamers since the games went 3D. This game is so huge is seems to exasperate some of those issues with these gamers. It is not one of those inherently bad things, but it is a preference and some people prefer the old way. I like 3D Zelda games, but I did always prefer the overworld of the better 2D Zelda games because they felt like extensions of the dungeons many times. In the 3D games, that feel is diminished and you get a greater sense of travel in exchange. But a lot of the time is also spent just traveling through empty space with not much interesting going on. That may increase the sense of adventure for some as well. There is no right or wrong answer with these complaints, and so people shouldn't be confused or act angry when someone has that issue.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but (outside of a few exceptions) the vast majority of this trailer seems to take place within the very area that Nintendo has roped off for demoing purposes at E3.

exceptions:
- brief glimpse of Link riding a horse across the bridge of Eldin
- Link transcending a hill in a desert region
- A beach area
- The master sword

Are there anymore? If not, that trailer being mostly composed of only the starting region completely blows my mind.

mantidor

A variety of locations and animals to hunt is not what people reference when they say it. In some Zelda games, the overworld is smaller but much denser: puzzles in every square inch, secrets on every screen. It was quite handcrafted, and so every part of the world felt intimate and brilliantly designed. By nature, when you increase a game world size exponentially, there is much less ability to hand design each little square mile of land, and you end up traveling a lot between interesting destinations instead of the overworld itself being another extension of those interesting areas.

That's not to say that will be the case here, but these videos certainly haven't demonstrated those fears are without any merit. Note that this is a nuanced complaint: There is obviously an insane amount of things to do in this game. But some people prefer smaller, more handcrafted areas where you minimize down time and travel time between points of interest.

This does not happen in any Zelda game ever, unless you are really stretching the definition of "puzzle".

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Did i heard that right? on the IGN stream did the Nintendo rep really say "sometime christmas 2017" for a potential release date?

Can't be right? wasn't it confirmed to be an NX launch title?

Amir0x

Banned
This does not happen in any Zelda game ever, unless you are really stretching the definition of "puzzle".

The point is not that it is literally a puzzle every square inch (Jesus, hyperbole-for-effect is lost on the internet) but that there is clearly an increased attention to handcrafted world design where the gameplay is more immediately arresting and more frequently attached to the core features that certain fans find enjoyable in the Zelda games. The overworlds can tend to sometimes even feel like extension of the dungeons with the puzzles within them in the best 2D Zelda games. Unless you're just going to be intentionally obtuse, you'd know this isn't some silly claim. It is a distinct difference between 2D and 3D Zelda games, and it is almost by the nature of their design.

Again, this is a nuanced complaint, and it is a preferential one. I know some people are obsessed with preserving the honor of the Zelda series, but it is OK with acknowledging that certain Zelda titles have certain distinct strengths over the others and that, by extension, some people will naturally prefer one over the other.

mantidor

The point is not that it is literally a puzzle every square inch (Jesus, hyperbole-for-effect is lost on the internet) but that there is clearly an increased attention to handcrafted world design where the gameplay is more immediately arresting and more frequently attached to the core features that certain fans find enjoyable in the Zelda games.

I get it but I think BotW has this. The overworld is immediately more interesting that the one in OoT/TP just to start, and very "Zelda-esque", there are literally a bunch of crates around for you to move, and it doesn't stop there.

I think the complain is unfounded.

Gleethor

Correct me if I'm wrong, but (outside of a few exceptions) the vast majority of this trailer seems to take place within the very area that Nintendo has roped off for demoing purposes at E3.

exceptions:
- A beach area
- The master sword

Are there anymore? If not, that trailer being mostly composed of only the starting region completely blows my mind.

I noticed this too. They're still keeping a lot of things close to the chest.

So we're talking a possibility for it to be multiple centuries after Wind Waker, perhaps even a millennium.
I don't think that's too far-fetched of an idea. The Koroks talk about planting trees to "stitch the land back together" in the far, far future. They seem to imply some sort of population would still be around for that event, so most likely old Hyrule was rediscovered. The Sheikah technology in this game looks to be significantly more advanced than anything we've ever seen in the series before, so it's possible that a significant amount of time has passed between the games.

Aldric

exceptions:
- A beach area
- The master sword

The snowy mountain with a hole in it and the lake with ducks (Lake Hylia? Can't remember if you can see the bridge of Eldin).

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
They were walking along a snowy area in the demos was that part of the Plateau?

Yeah, the elevated part of it for Mt. Hylia is all a part of the Great Plateau region. There is another more snowy area in the game though they showed a bit in that final Aonuma segment.

MADGAME

Yep. Comments from the people that have played it say the Wii U Controller doesn't even show anything on the second screen (just the control scheme).
The hypothesis is that the game once had Wii U tablet interaction (as seen in TGA 2014 footage) but was removed because of the NX.

I guess they didn't want to have a bunch of cool features on the Wii U that could be done with the gamepad, and then have the NX version not being able to do it in the same manner.

It looks like Link uses the Sheikah tablet in the game similar to the player using the Wii U tablet controller. Would have been very cool if they didn't remove whatever they had planned for that type of gameplay experience.

sphinx

the piano man
the more I see of this, the more I realise this game really doesn't seem to be anything like whatever we've gotten before in the 3D Zeldas.

I can see the complains about "2008 visuals" even though I don't sympathize or care but damn this game looks so unique.

"Breath of the Wild" is weird as held, I'd have though it's 100% fake if someone had leaked it prior to the reveal.

Not

Banned
Did i heard that right? on the IGN stream did the Nintendo rep really say "sometime christmas 2017" for a potential release date?

Seriously? Who the hell is going to buy the Wii U version nine months after the NX comes out?

Maxinas

I find this hard to believe, you'd think Nintendo would do everything they possibly can to have this game be a launch title for the NX, and at least for now, the NX is confirmed for a March 2017 international release.
Please don't be true:'(

JaseMath

*JasonMCG thinking aloud*
I wonder when we'll get to see NX visuals. Obviously not for months and months since it would cannibalize Wii U sales, but still.

kevin1025

Banned

I think it was meant like "Christmas is sometime in 2017", like the game is like Christmas, maybe.

Edit: Yeah, Brian says "whatever time fake Christmas is."

KooopaKid

Banned

HwPwmdW.jpg

40aYZCW.jpg

DTiw8Al.jpg

aytfGEg.jpg

CLOCK and THERMOMETER.

Update:

ITHPfKu.jpg

mfiDN0q.jpg

ROTATE

Previous translations:

laAale3.jpg

ML8sIMp.jpg

GtIJQg5.jpg

NOW LOADING
DO NOT TURN OFF
ALL YOUR BASE ARE

CVE9Vpp.jpg

kwwoAXO.jpg

Awesome work as always! Love all those silly easter eggs :)

etking

Banned
Thanks god this game supports the Pro Controller. As a Wii-U owner, I absolutely dislike the too big, too heavy, too inconvenient and always out of battery gamepad and refuse to use it where ever possible. Even in Xenoblade X, I use it as a secondary map device only.

The Boat

So we have the Wind Waker's Koroks
Eldin bridge from TP
Goddess statue from SS

It could either be something like Hyrule Warriors with time travel shenanigans, or it could be after WW. We see mention of a great ocean and Koroks, an Eldin Bridge could have been constructed in the WW timeline as much as it was in the TP one and the Goddess statue is inside the Temple of Time from OoT, so it could just be that the Temple of Time was built where
the sanctuary part of Skyloft crashed
in SS.

This looks so good. I wonder what the NX version will have over the Wii U version? Guessing resolution or framerate bump which would be really nice. Can't wait.

bachikarn

*JasonMCG thinking aloud*
I wonder when we'll get to see NX visuals. Obviously not for months and months since it would cannibalize Wii U sales, but still.

They are releasing at the same time and they have no concern for cannibalizing Wii U sales. If anything, I imagine they prefer you buy the NX version.

Nanashrew

Banned

HwPwmdW.jpg

40aYZCW.jpg

DTiw8Al.jpg

aytfGEg.jpg

CLOCK and THERMOMETER.

Update:

ITHPfKu.jpg

mfiDN0q.jpg

ROTATE

Previous translations:

laAale3.jpg

ML8sIMp.jpg

GtIJQg5.jpg

NOW LOADING
DO NOT TURN OFF
ALL YOUR BASE ARE

CVE9Vpp.jpg

kwwoAXO.jpg

How the heck do you figure this stuff out? It's amazing we already have a translation of the new hylian text already :O

Top Bottom