• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Breath of the Wild is the official subtitle for Zelda U/NX, first gameplay trailer

Did anyone on video try to cut down a much larger tree? All the trees I saw people chop down had small-to-medium-sized trunks. I want to see someone try to chop down one of those trees near Steppe Talus with trunks wider than Link is tall.

This game will be the first Zelda game since Wind Waker to be developed on significantly superior hardware to its predecessor.

Upon release, it'll be almost 15 years since Zelda last received a graphical upgrade.

Many players will have been born and aged into the series during that time.

takriel

This game will be the first Zelda game since Wind Waker to be developed on significantly superior hardware to its predecessor.

Upon release, it'll be almost 15 years since Zelda last received a graphical upgrade.

Even then, the game is arguably built around 7-8 years old hardware. Imagine that.

The most exciting aspect of this footage is that it represents a fraction of what we can expect to do in the game. Just thinking about all that there is left to discover is staggering. NX here I come.

Burny

Far more importantly, it's the first Zelda since basically forever, that considerably strays from the abstract base gameplay mechanics and many design patterns, that were cemented in 1986. I wouldn't even count OoT as major innovator in this area. It's major innovation was translating those mechanics into a 3D game, but the core concepts remained largely the very same.

This time, we'll get...

- an open world vs. areas with entirely predefined paths, connected through entry and exit points.
- non item based advanced traversal (climbing basically anywhere!)
- weapon/equipment/armor diversity vs. a predefined set of weapons with little meaningful variation and options to counter enemies
- survival mechanics vs. the basic collect hearts from <stuff> mechanic
- (potentially) major non-linearity in terms of game progress (walk through the endboss without finishing hte story?)
- a number of physic pased mechanics vs. just trigger based events (items/songes etc. being triggers)
- minor "bosses" in the open field vs. boss monsters being largely limited to dungeons
- voice narration.

It remains to be seen what becomes of the old staples, like the dungeons with bosses and major items opening up new areas of the world/enabling you to trigger more events. But this might be the first Zelda that feels modern from a design perspective, incorporating mechanics that the rest of the gaming world have long since adapted.

I caught up with the streams, and liked what I saw and heard. The world seems very interactive for an open world game, and it is the first 3D Zelda game in quite a while where I liked the enemy designs. Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword had some ugly enemies that never sat right with me. Glad to see some bokoblins again that are cool looking.

The only thing I'm not sure about is the inventory limits. I hope at the very least we'll get some type of infinite-space storage box where I can dump all my loot.

the wired interview with aonuma is really interesting, it seems like he recruited a group of programmers who studied a lot of AAA games and how nintendo could make these games and incorporate their ideas on it. He says that we will see a lot of new games following this path.

Oh man imagine a new mario that takes a leap as big as this game. Zelda is already the third most viewed video on nintendo's channel, everyone is raving about it. I am so happy, aonuma, myiamoto and their team really delivered on my expectations. Can't wait to see more.

One more bit of translation, in the Ke Numut shrine, but probably in all of them:

5dGHOJO.png

The bars say "SLIDEUP" written sideways. Thanks to RagnarokX's cipher.

vareon

Far more importantly, it's the first Zelda since basically forever, that considerably strays from the abstract base gameplay mechanics and many design patterns, that were cemented in 1986. I wouldn't even count OoT as major innovator in this area. It's major innovation was translating those mechanics into a 3D game, but the core concepts remained largely the very same.

This time, we'll get...

- an open world vs. areas with entirely predefined paths, connected through entry and exit points.
- non item based advanced traversal (climbing basically anywhere!)
- weapon/equipment/armor diversity vs. a predefined set of weapons with little meaningful variation and options to counter enemies
- survival mechanics vs. the basic collect hearts from <stuff> mechanic
- (potentially) major non-linearity in terms of game progress (walk through the endboss without finishing hte story?)
- a number of physic pased mechanics vs. just trigger based events (items/songes etc. being triggers)
- minor "bosses" in the open field vs. boss monsters being largely limited to dungeons
- voice narration.

It remains to be seen what becomes of the old staples, like the dungeons with bosses and major items opening up new areas of the world/enabling you to trigger more events. But this might be the first Zelda that feels modern from a design perspective, incorporating mechanics that the rest of the gaming world have long since adapted.

It's the first Zelda since Wind Waker with a leap in improvement instead of (relatively) lateral improvements of Wind Waker - Twilight Princess - Skyward Sword. Man.

Like ... how are you guy able to decipher those "runes"? I'm seriously impressed ... and feel kinda stupid because i don't think how i would be able to "get" this. ^^

I've figured out a few more characters, so here's an update to the Zelda U Hylian alphabet cipher:

HwPwmdW.jpg

Figured out C, K, and M. J, Q, V, and X are the only ones left but I'm pretty sure I know what V is.

40aYZCW.jpg

The towers dotted around Hyrule say SHEAKTOWER. Sheak = sheikah, obviously.

DTiw8Al.jpg

The tub that Link wakes up in at the start of the game. The only letters that weren't too blurry to read were NITCARE. I'm pretty sure it's repeating characters that probably spell out CARE UNIT.

aytfGEg.jpg

CLOCK and THERMOMETER.

Update:

ITHPfKu.jpg

This gyroscope mechanism has GYROS written on it.

mfiDN0q.jpg

ROTATE

Previous translations:

laAale3.jpg

The doors to every shrine have DUNGEON written across them repeatedly

ML8sIMp.jpg

The doors that seal Link inside the chamber he awakens in say SHUTOUT at the bottom. This word appears on other locked doors and gates throughout the world.

GtIJQg5.jpg

When Link puts the Sheikah Slate on a pedestal to gain a new rune it says
NOW LOADING
DO NOT TURN OFF
ALL YOUR BASE ARE

CVE9Vpp.jpg

The area where the sheikah sits at the end of a shrine says GOALPOINT

kwwoAXO.jpg

The Hylian text below each named area on the map just says REGION
At the bottom is SHEAKERSTONE, which is probably engrish for Sheikah Stone.

They're just an English cipher. Someone figured out some text on Nintendo's website said "THELEGENDOFZELDA", which gave us the first several letters, and then RagnarokX there was able to figure out more based on filling in the logical missing ones.

They're just an English cipher. Someone figured out some text on Nintendo's website said "THELEGENDOFZELDA", which gave us the first several letters, and then RagnarokX there was able to figure out more based on filling in the logical missing ones.

Yeah it's pretty simple stuff, no one need be intimidated by it.

Here's some fun for you: there's some Hylian text on the GameCube disc for Wind Waker. But that take on Hylian is actually based directly on Japanese katakana: the disc says "ZE RU DA NO DE N SE TSU / KA ZE NO TA KU TO," "Zeruda no Densetsu: Kaze no Takuto," or The Legend of Zelda: Takt [German for a conductor's baton] of the Wind.

There's an artifact of this in the new Hylian alphabet: the "N" letter looks a lot like the old Hylian emblem (and by extension, the Katakana) for the standalone "n" sound.

RagnarokX

Like ... how are you guy able to decipher those "runes"? I'm seriously impressed ... and feel kinda stupid because i don't think how i would be able to "get" this. ^^

I made this cipher:
HwPwmdW.jpg

A month ago Nintendo released a teaser image that contained this new Hylian text. A GAFer noticed a pattern and figured out the text said THELEGENDOFZELDA. That gave us T, H, E, L, G, N, D, O, F, Z, and A.

Using those letters, I was able to decipher D _ N G E O N in this image:
laAale3.jpg

Obviously the unknown letter was U.

Then I translated this:
ML8sIMp.jpg

and got _ H U T O U T. The only letter that made sense for the missing letter was S.

V97qEN1.jpg

Translating this with the letters I knew revealed NO_ LOAD_NG DO NOT T_ _N OFF ALL YO_ _ _ASE A_E. That gave me W, I, U, R, and B.

CVE9Vpp.jpg

This one was GOAL_OINT. P was the only thing that made sense.

kwwoAXO.jpg

I got STONES_EAKER from this one. Since this is a Sheikah Plate ie Sheikah Stone I figured the missing letter was H.

aytfGEg.jpg

_LO_ _ next to the time was CLOCK, so that gave me C and K.
THER_O_ETER gave me M.

and that's 22 out of 26 letters. I'm pretty sure I know what V is. There are some floor tiles that seem to spell MOVE, but they are together with these characters that appear to mean nothing.

For me this is probably runner up Game of Show (edged out slightly by Horizon). The whole time I watched the Kinda Funny guys playing it I was yelling at 'em "give me the controller!" Its rare that gameplay trailers make me want to play a game. But I want to play this game. Probably not enough to buy a Wii U...so I'll more than likely wait and play this when I get a NX for Xmas 2017. It's going to be a long 18 months.

mugwhump

Aw man, I really wanna find out if you can ride things you launch with the stasis rune like boulders. That would be amazing. Unfortunately you don't seem to start the open-world demo with it so most people probably won't even get it haha.

The level of technology in this abandoned hyrule is very intriguing. Looks like the sheikans were responsible for those robots in skyward sword as well. Also the Ooca from twilight Princess were famous for their technology and that floating city

zeromcd73

I was a bit down and disappointed when I watched the reveal of this game but I'm really feeling really it now. Super excited!

Durability and an item carry limit is annoying though. Kinda hoping they get rid of those.

I guess there are NPCs in the game lol.

There's a guy chopping wood at 1:34 in the background.

I hope there are towns...

There are towns. There are NPCs.

They were purposely absent from the demo. Nintendo has gone on record with this.

One thing people need to understand is that the Great Plateau (the demo area) is completely separated from the rest of the world. It's not a place Hyrulians dwell.

RagnarokX

Okay, I finally confirmed V
R9xTtAt.jpg

That takes us to 23 letters!

This one was really hard to read. I noticed that there was writing on the elevators that take you down into the shrines, but the letters on them are upsidedown for some reason and the forcefield around the elevator shaft made the letters really hard to see. However I was able to make out O_INGPLA
JO5NCOv.jpg

so it's most likely MOVINGPLATFORM

Screenshot of the person in question? I can't seem to work out which piece of debris you think is a person...

yDazboq.png

That little pile of "debris" looks a bit suspicious if you ask me. It was also a little odd how the treehouse crew stopped the footage right there. Who knows though?

I was wondering why the song in the trailer sounded really familiar to me, now I realized that it follows the same musical tone as The Legend of Korra. The instruments are very similar.

noshten

Anyone draw the parallel with the "food" effects and potions in Witcher 2/3, I think that's pretty much the best way to go if you don't have a classic RPG progression system. Simply concocting certain foods might require ingredients from areas which are harder of further away from early access.

Also are there any other bonuses other than armor for clothing items? It could be cool if the clothing you can get later on provides additional benefits.
Some weapons have effects on the environment so I'm guessing there are weapons whose physics we haven't seen yet.

Another Fire Rod GIF I saw posted by Chadboban:

JIiCB3N.gif

And the previous one, since it's buried on the last page:

Ay8GaOL.gif

And check out what ProJared did with it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FY0i9OL96-E&feature=youtu.be&t=769

I love how the fireball will even bounce across platforms, lol

Also that was amazing if there is a glider that's fire resistant in the game - you can rain fire from the sky and glide indefinitely(or till you run out of the fire rod).

Violet_0

Banned
I like the title, gameplay looks great, I see so many influences from other games in the trailer (like Trine)

really hyped about BofW, finally they do something new/different with the Zelda formula

The more I hear about BotW the more I want it now. I was excited before, but man it's getting hard not to think about with all this new info.

This is seriously cool stuff.

Crayolan

Anyone draw the parallel with the "food" effects and potions in Witcher 2/3, I think that's pretty much the best way to go if you don't have a classic RPG progression system. Simply concocting certain foods might require ingredients from areas which are harder of further away from early access.

Also are there any other bonuses other than armor for clothing items? It could be cool if the clothing you can get later on provides additional benefits.
Some weapons have effects on the environment so I'm guessing there are weapons whose physics we haven't seen yet.

Also that was amazing if there is a glider that's fire resistant in the game - you can rain fire from the sky and glide indefinitely(or till you run out of the fire rod).

They showed off that there's warmer clothing which allows Link to venture in cold climates, otherwise he slowly freezes to death. Likewise I wouldn't be surprised if there's heat-resistant armor.

I can't stop watching the trailer. It's so good.

I get goosebumbs just looking at it.
I haven't felt like this over a game since the original Legend of Zelda, which was the first video game I've ever played.

I'm a fan of Nintendo so I was probably going to buy a NX at some point anyway, unless there's some kind of colossal fuckup, but this game sold me on getting one day one. I don't think I've ever been sold on a console over one game before, before having even seen said console.

sinxtanx

Game of the Forever obv, some thoughts after watching the demo extensively

If flurry rush didn't have slow motion and instead just had the WW chime and let you mash it out, I would like it more. As it is now, it's too rewarding (and jarring).

Link can shoot several slow motion arrows in one jump. Also I did not see anyone try, but can you do a regular jump on flat ground and get the slow motion for the arrow? As it is, the slow motion drains stamina quickly, but I'd like to see the amount of arrows you can fire in one jump reduced to just one, and to definitely not be possible from flat ground, it should require some respectable height.

A magical hovershield has to be in the game, it just has to.

Right analog has X and Y axis, would like to see them both used for quick select to group weapons/shields of the same type instead of this X axis which is going to get loooooooong.

Magnesis rune detective mode is overdoing it, should be toned WAY down.

Runes in general have very unsubtle effects design, which I don't think is at all necessary.

Is the magic meter truly gone? they didn't show the HUD in the off-plateau videos...

Wishes for Hero Mode
-No increase in enemy damage or health (ok maybe health BUT NOT TOO MUCH).
-Don't change item durability.
-Increased damage taken should come from making enemies more aggressive and tactics-minded. Bokoblins as example; in the demo they're slow to react (often having Link in their face they would just wait for him to strike them) and like to use their jump attack too much. Them dodging when noticing your windup, flanking and only using the jump attack when Link is vulnerable would make them more challenging in an interesting way.
-Double day/night cycle length to 48 minutes.
-Having to hold food items and eat them in real time (cooked food being faster to eat to further incentivize cooking) to make players consider their approach to enemy encounters more strongly.
-No slow motion arrows.
-Really, just remove as many "training wheels" as possible instead of just upping damage. Hero mode until now has only been hard at the beginning, make it a full-stack difficulty increase and break the Zelda conventions, Aonuma!

samar11

There are towns. There are NPCs.

They were purposely absent from the demo. Nintendo has gone on record with this.

One thing people need to understand is that the Great Plateau (the demo area) is completely separated from the rest of the world. It's not a place Hyrulians dwell.

Is there any game play of a place in the game with NPCS/towns/ etc ?

Forkball

I admit it: I don't mind the Zelda formula. Tutorial area, go to dungeons, get the thing, fight the dude. No game really emulates Zelda so even though it's become predictable, it is still singular.

However, I really am thrilled to see them take the franchise in this direction. People are saying that it doesn't do anything different from other open world games, but I disagree. While it very liberally borrow ideas from many other open world titles, not many utilize high fantasy elements while also mixing in the unpredictability that environmental interaction and physics entail. Many popular open world games, although they may have a sci fi or fantasy setting, are still rooted deeply in realistic gameplay conventions. Skyrim and Witcher are both fantasy settings, but you are never given something as crazy as the fire rod to wield.

I can definitely understand complaints that it's too barren, but they did remove some stuff for E3 and the title is still NINE MONTHS away. Just imagine what they could add and focus on in that time.

This game is just so amazing looking. Im happy to see Nintendo still can wow everyone.

Now I should stop spoiling it and just wait for it to come out :(

wrowa

Does anyone have a link to a video which shows a person actually following the "story" instead of just messing around in the world? I'd like to see what happens at the spot that gets marked on your map in the beginning.

noshten

If they have a user generated shrine builder as a paid DLC it might sell me on an early NX adoption. If they took inspiration from Skyrim that's the type of features they need to have - having the flying Castle as the multiplayer hub with mii's introducing their shrines and a rating system similar to SMM. When in game you could choose to see mii's with the newest shrines, your friend's shrines or top rated shrines. With the shrine building tool to be really complex taking hours for a user to create their own shrine. Obviously you need to be able to complete the shrine before releasing it online and there would need to be a defined size of the shrines.
If a user generates loads of top rated shrines and becomes big in the community Nintendo contacts them about them creating a dungeon for the player base and Nintendo themselves in collaboration with these users release a new dungeon accessible from the hub each week, while also having their own dungeons or dungeons released by other devs or personalities.

Honestly that's the type of thing I'm hoping for with games on the NX, I'm just not sure the Wii U has enough power to support user generated content beyond something small like SMM.

One time start 90 minutes...I would try to play it to the fullest!
Heck they should just do it like with Splatoon!

...OMG YES!

Top Bottom