• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Breath of the Wild is the official subtitle for Zelda U/NX, first gameplay trailer

Seen a lot of people wishing there was more overworld music, so I'm going to voice my opinion that I like the minimalistic approach they've taken. The lack of music in the wild spaces emphasizes the world and the music's sudden presence in battle or near important areas like the Temple of Time emphasizes those more important moments. Though I do hope the towns still have some fun, boisterous themes or whatever. If the silence emphasizes Link alone in the wilderness, a place with a lot of people should be louder and more musical.

I couldn't agree more with you.

Gsnap

Seen a lot of people wishing there was more overworld music, so I'm going to voice my opinion that I like the minimalistic approach they've taken. The lack of music in the wild spaces emphasizes the world and the music's sudden presence in battle or near important areas like the Temple of Time emphasizes those more important moments. Though I do hope the towns still have some fun, boisterous themes or whatever. If the silence emphasizes Link alone in the wilderness, a place with a lot of people should be louder and more musical.

Part of me is disappointed, but part of me agrees that I wouldn't want to hear this or this constantly in a world of this size. If the music was gone completely I'd be very against it, but it isn't. It's still there during specific parts or in specific places. And like you said, we'll likely get more obvious tunes in towns or in dungeons. And what we have heard so far has been very good, so I'm excited to see how it goes.

Is this the first time you've seen a trailer do this? The cut is completely intentional and normal

I think people are quite familiar with dramatic cuts like that. The problem is, this one is exceptionally poor in how it was edited. The audio is just plain sloppy, there's really no argument to the contrary. So I people are giving the benefit of the doubt when they say it was a hasty last second edit.

Aters

Watched the trailer again, simply amazing! This is the kind of open world I want. Not crowded with shit, but still feels alive.

edit: yeah the trailer's editing does seem odd, like they decided to cut out a good portion of content in the last minute.

Coffinhal

I wish the UI/HUD would have been more linked to the Zelda-universe rather than being a random 2010s black/half-transparent shit.

This is a poorly imitated and simplified version of The Witcher's 3 or Skyrim's UI

inventory-1024x576.png

iwVjnze.png

This is Zelda :

cf921544f7ffae316917a416f2e47102.jpg

Wind_Waker_HD_Item_Menu_1.jpg

I hope this is only temporary because I don't understand why Nintendo would be ok with this

Permanently A

I think people are quite familiar with dramatic cuts like that. The problem is, this one is exceptionally poor in how it was edited. The audio is just plain sloppy, there's really no argument to the contrary. So I people are giving the benefit of the doubt when they say it was a hasty last second edit.

I think the cut is really good, because I'm used to typical dramatic cuts. This cut caught me off guard for a bit and made the music change a lot more tense

I wish the UI/HUD would have been more linked to the Zelda-universe rather than being a random 2010s black/half-transparent shit.

This is a poorly imitated and simplified version of The Witcher's 3 or Skyrim's UI

inventory-1024x576.png

iwVjnze.png

This is Zelda :

I hope this is only temporary because I don't understand why Nintendo would be ok with this

We've still got a good 9+ months till its out, I wouldn't fret too much, they'll most likely add that Zelda flare in the finishing touches.

eXistor

The cut is terribly done, it literally kills the flow in the trailer, both musically and visually. I don't see how people can think it works. It comes across as a mistake.

Coffinhal

Yes the cut is awfully done and this was the most random way of editing a trailer. No creativity here.

We've still got a good 9+ months till its out, I wouldn't fret too much, they'll most likely add that Zelda flare in the finishing touches.

Yes this could be temporary, or this could be another way for them to get closer to a big open-world/western RPG vibe/look.

N.Grim

inventory-1024x576.png

iwVjnze.png

This is Zelda :

This Zelda it's not for kids like the other!

/s

KrawlMan

Yes the cut is awfully done and this was the most random way of editing a trailer. No creativity here.

Yes this could be temporary, or this could be another way for them to get closer to a big open-world/western RPG vibe/look.

I don't expect any changes to this aspect honestly. The UI looks very clean and intentional. I actually like the simple transparent look, despite being a little generic.

KingBroly

Banned

inventory-1024x576.png

iwVjnze.png

This is Zelda :

The UI in Skyrim and Witcher 3 are horrible. This looks like it's a lot easier to understand and sort through.

Atheerios

So, I don't know if this is the right thread to mention this, but I can't create a new one yet, so here it goes... I found something interesting while browsing the US trademark system.

For Wii U games, you can see that in the categories for the trademark mention game discs, but not cartridges.

On the other hand, 3DS games do mention cartridges in the description:

However, for Breath of the Wild, there's something different, it also lists video game cartridges:

I don't think this is a random decision or mistake, as Nintendo has never assigned video game cartridges to a Wii U game before (unless it also has a 3DS version). However, we already know there's going to be a NX version of this game, so this could be a strong indicator that NX will, in fact, use cartridges.

Golnei

I actually like the UI for the most part, the minimalistic approach works really well. The only thing that looks absolutely awful is anything using the "Zelda font"; like the (mini)boss titles or Game Over screen. I thought the text in the latter was fan-edited the first time I saw it. Hopefully they're just a placeholder...

Calm Mind

Could the cut have been done last minute, as in Nintendo deliberated on removing something that might have been deemed as too much of a spoiler?

That was my first and only thought upon watching it. It looks too intentional. Probably a reveal of Ganon or Zelda or both?

Clefargle

So, I don't know if this is the right thread to mention this, but I can't create a new one yet, but I found something intersting while browsing the US trademark system.

For Wii U games, you can see that in the categories for the trademark mention game discs, but don't mention cartdriges anywhere.

However, for Breath of the Wild, there's something different, it also lists video game cartridges:

I don't think this is a random decision or mistake, as Nintendo has never assigned video game cartridges to a Wii U game before (unless it also has a 3DS version). However, we already know there's going to be a NX version of this game, so this could be a strong indicator that NX will, in fact, use cartridges.

Wow if true so cool. Good catch

Smellycat

So, I don't know if this is the right thread to mention this, but I can't create a new one yet, but I found something intersting while browsing the US trademark system.

For Wii U games, you can see that in the categories for the trademark mention game discs, but don't mention cartdriges anywhere.

That is a good find. Interesting stuff. It goes along with the previous rumors that the NX will use cartridges

Roo

Well then..

ZQBWTxs.gif

So, I don't know if this is the right thread to mention this, but I can't create a new one yet, so here it goes... I found something interesting while browsing the US trademark system.

For Wii U games, you can see that in the categories for the trademark mention game discs, but not cartridges.

Oh shiiiit. Good catch!

Very good find man.

Yes yes yes! Give me cartridges!

Neiteio

Wow. Good find!

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Atheerios with the speculation rumour of the day, I see. Care to post a link to Botw's trademark as well? It could be useful to whoever makes a thread about it :p

R00bot

Yes! I was hoping they would use cartridges. This is exciting. The future is now.

Mokujin

Wow, that it's certainly damn interesting!! I would really like NX to be cartridge based, great catch!

(Even if it turns out it's not, exciting speculation anyway)

P.D. Just noticed it also mentions Video Game Discs, maybe an NX portable versión and NX Home disc? Doh [Nvm: Wii U = Disc ...]

Shaanyboi

Banned

inventory-1024x576.png

iwVjnze.png

This is Zelda :

Because that Wind Waker UI is built around a pre-determined set of items that you're collecting, with a specific layout in mind. You're not navigating half a dozen shields, swords, cooking ingredients etc. All those WW icons are easily identifiable from their silhouette and color, but that's not going to be the case for all the gear and ingredients in BotW. A minimal UI to focus attention on the specific items is a better solution.

Yes! I was hoping they would use cartridges. This is exciting. The future is now.

Isn't that going to jack the price of games up?

If the console is somewhere between Wii U and PS4 in power games could potentially be 30-50GB in size. It's going to add at least $5 a game surely?

Roo

Isn't that going to jack the price of games up?

If the console is somewhere between Wii U and PS4 in power games could potentially be 30-50GB in size. It's going to add at least $5 a game surely?

They could easily eat the cost of the cartridges with what they're saving from no optical drive on the console.

Top Bottom