• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Breath of the Wild is the official subtitle for Zelda U/NX, first gameplay trailer

Yeah, but a bunch of people on a message board said they wanted it in March. Then they started telling each other that it's rumored for March. Then they started telling each other it's almost certainly March. So that basically is a commitment from Nintendo that they are now beholden to.
Nintendo did list March 2017 on their website at first.

I think you two are essentially in agreement, unless I misunderstood. You're both right. No point discussing Zelda further till the NX reveal. Also, no expectation for Nintendo to discuss Zelda further until Fall at the earliest.

It just happens to work out this way because of the timing of NX and Zelda release date.

maxcriden

It's not such a leap to say it's March. Besides the press site mention, there's also the highly proven Trev leak (honestly one of the best and most substantiated leaks we've ever had for Nintendo) which targeted it for Holiday 2016 release alongside NX, with it marketed significantly as an NX launch title.

BY2K

Membero Americo
The Legend of Zelda facebook page uploaded some items you can cook.

Some will increase Link's speed. And in the case of the Hightail Lizard it seems permanent?

14444752_1173232749404520_2274479218558209620_o.jpg

Some will increase Link's speed.

I feel like I remember some of those speed descriptions from E3 but to my knowledge no one made any items that boosted speed. I'm curious to see how much of an effect that has.

At some point something will have to increase hearts and maybe stamina meter.

Will there still be heart containers? Or do you have to find/cook certain food for permanent raises.

Will there still be heart containers? Or do you have to find/cook certain food for permanent raises.
Maybe you get permanent boosts from food made from materials you get from unique enemies? Like say, beat a certain boss and you get its tail, cook and eat it for a heart container or unique ingredients that could work like heart pieces.

Maybe you get permanent boosts from food made from materials you get from unique enemies? Like say, beat a certain boss and you get its tail, cook and eat it for a heart container or unique ingredients that could work like heart pieces.
That's more than likely what will happen, but I also want there to be extra hearts to obtain if you were to go off into secret areas and find certain one of a kind ingredients that can also increase your hearts.

I like GameXplain's idea of receiving spirit orbs from Shrines and then trading those in for an upgrade. Say 4 spirit orbs for a new heart container. It makes sense seeing as there are over 100 shrines and all.

I like GameXplain's idea of receiving spirit orbs from Shrines and then trading those in for an upgrade. Say 4 spirit orbs for a new heart container. It makes sense seeing as there are over 100 shrines and all.

I think they said in the final game it won't always be spirit orbs. But that sounds like a reasonable theory anyway.

Tangentially related, I would be very disappointed if all 100+ shrines shared the same aesthetic, or had that same exact entryway. That would pretty dull pretty quickly to me.

TheMoon

Some will increase Link's speed. And in the case of the Hightail Lizard it seems permanent?

None of this implies any permanent benefits. The frog also gives you a speed boost. The only mention of temporary benefits is with the hearts since you need to point that out due to actual permanent heart upgrades being a thing in Zelda.

Dmax3901

So I'm gonna be playing this Thursday night in Sydney. I'm told it's the same two demos shown at E3, no videos or photos allowed but no NDA either.

Figured I may as well ask everyone if there's any weird, specific thing they want me to try out or any questions I can try and ask the staff there (who knows if they'll be able/allowed to answer)

Nickle

Cool Facts: Game of War has been a hit since July 2013
So I'm gonna be playing this Thursday night in Sydney. I'm told it's the same two demos shown at E3, no videos or photos allowed but no NDA either.

Figured I may as well ask everyone if there's any weird, specific thing they want me to try out or any questions I can try and ask the staff there (who knows if they'll be able/allowed to answer).
Try to grab onto a boulder after you've hit it with the stasis rune, but make sure are holding onto the front side where the boulder is getting launched.

DMONKUMA

Figured I may as well ask everyone if there's any weird, specific thing they want me to try out or any questions I can try and ask the staff there (who knows if they'll be able/allowed to answer)

Can you ask about the variety of weapons and gadgets we will get in the game. Not an exact amount but knowing if it's large or not.
I haven't been paying attention all too much to any videos or info about the game so I don't know if they have said anything regarding that.

The number one thing I'm afraid of with cooking, is that its going to feel way too much of a chore vs past games when picking up hearts in a field. I hope we can later get potions in a market or from someone.

My main question is whether we can fix weapons or craft our own (whether more durable or not). I want to keep the claymore as long as possible

TheMoon

Can you ask about the variety of weapons and gadgets we will get in the game. Not an exact amount but knowing if it's large or not.
I haven't been paying attention all too much to any videos or info about the game so I don't know if they have said anything regarding that.

My main question is whether we can fix weapons or craft our own (whether more durable or not). I want to keep the claymore as long as possible

You're not getting any new info out of this. If they're playing the E3 demo, they're getting E3-info-briefed Nintendo reps who don't know anything beyond what all of us know already.

They'll tell you "yea sure, lots of weapons to find!" Which is already true even if you only look at the E3 demo. :)

Dmax3901

Try to grab onto a boulder after you've hit it with the stasis rune, but make sure are holding onto the front side where the boulder is getting launched.

I'll do my best!

Yeah I doubt they'd know anything about this, and if they did they wouldn't be allowed to say yet.

The number one thing I'm afraid of with cooking, is that its going to feel way too much of a chore vs past games when picking up hearts in a field. I hope we can later get potions in a market or from someone.

Same as above, they won't be talking about towns or markets yet.

I'll ask this one, it could be that no-one's specifically asked this yet? About the repairing items anyway.

The number of items in Breath of the Wild is part of the appeal to me. I'm excited to track each one down and learn the secrets of how to use them and what to combine them with to create new items and concoctions. It kind of reminds me a little bit of Dragon Quest VIII's pot that you could throw ingredients into and make new stuff.

Ever since E3 I've been amassing a big list of items found in the demo during various play throughs. Some might find my collection fun to peruse:

I can't wait for our next look at the game. I hope it's sometime soon.

ReyVGM

Yes finally. Are you going to record?

Please try this, since no one has done it yet: inside the temple of time, there is a platform no one has climbed. You know when you first enter, if you go to the right there is a chest with a bow? Well, right above it there is a platform. Climb the walls INSIDE the temple to reach it.

Also, near mount hylia's peak, there is an incomplete stone circle. There is a rock nearby, use it to complete the circle and supposedly a korok will appear.

Dmax3901

Yes finally. Are you going to record?

Please try this, since no one has done it yet: inside the temple of time, there is a platform no one has climbed. You know when you first enter, if you go to the right there is a chest with a bow? Well, right above it there is a platform. Climb the walls INSIDE the temple to reach it.

Also, near mount hylia's peak, there is an incomplete stone circle. There is a rock nearby, use it to complete the circle and supposedly a korok will appear.

No photos or video allowed I'm afraid :( Which is kinda weird considering it is just the E3 demo.

I'll definitely check out the platform in the temple.

Dmax3901

Ok so basically didn't get to try anything people asked for lol. There was no mention of the NX except when they said it wouldn't be the version being demoed.

I saw a few things I hadn't seen in any other footage. One was a weird hut thing to the north west of the plateau, its roof was like a giant Dragon head thing made out of cloth and wood. Didn't look like just another Monster lair but I could be wrong.

I had a good look at the thing climbing death mountain. It is NOT a Goron. It's looks more like one of the guardians but huge and elongated. It had some weird windmill looking tail as well.

The flying platform was way more Tshaped than I realised, and I'm almost certain it has propeller things parallel with the ground.

Last thing is not exciting but I saw super simple sprites of birds flying in the distance.

Edit: had fun with the game but I'd watched so much footage of that area that I kinda felt like I'd already played it. Just left me wanting to know more: about the game itself and the NX version improvements. The frame rate got a bit spotty at times, it was particularly bad around the giant rock Monster.

ika

Ok so basically didn't get to try anything people asked for lol. There was no mention of the NX except when they said it wouldn't be the version being demoed.

I saw a few things I hadn't seen in any other footage. One was a weird hut thing to the north west of the plateau, its roof was like a giant Dragon head thing made out of cloth and wood. Didn't look like just another Monster lair but I could be wrong.

I had a good look at the thing climbing death mountain. It is NOT a Goron. It's looks more like one of the guardians but huge and elongated. It had some weird windmill looking tail as well.

The flying platform was way more Tshaped than I realised, and I'm almost certain it has propeller things parallel with the ground.

Last thing is not exciting but I saw super simple sprites of birds flying in the distance.

Edit: had fun with the game but I'd watched so much footage of that area that I kinda felt like I'd already played it. Just left me wanting to know more: about the game itself and the NX version improvements. The frame rate got a bit spotty at times, it was particularly bad around the giant rock Monster.

Thank you for the impressions! :) I agree, I think we've seen too much of the plateau already so maybe many of us will rush this area when the game is out so we can discover new things, and that's a shame because you can clearly spend several hours exploring the plateau.

Dmax3901

Yeah I didn't even check out the temple, the demo was over Super quick. I know everyone seems to say this, but it was really easy to get distracted.

One thing about the combat: it felt super refreshing to have so many options without even getting into other items. Like I accidentally threw my weapon and had to run away and pick up a club and make do. Then there's smashing shields and bomb runes and using fire and dodging etc. Definitely feels like a shake up.

Also jump attacking with the axe feels great.

Also apparently someone asked who the composer is and the woman said she knows who it is but isn't allowed to say....

Dork94

Neo Member
It was me that asked about the composer! My experience was pretty similar to Dmax's, but I did hit the snow area during the exploration demo intending to head towards Mt. Hylia and was surprised to see how quickly the cold damages you - barely a few metres into the snow I was losing like 1/2 a heart a second so I had to abandon that. Also I consistently kept drowning while swimming from the stamina drain so it doesn't seem like swimming is going to be a good way to get around - you lose stamina in the water at about the same rate as climbing (from my estimate) or possibly even faster. I also ran out of stamina while climbing 2 or 3 times. I think to get more freedom of exploration you'll definitely need some stamina-enhancing items, but I didn't want to waste time in the demo cooking. Some other random thoughts:

- The size of the map when zoomed out doesn't seem to be deceptive (i.e. with artificial barriers within the part where it fades out) - I put a pin on the monster on Death Mountain and it was pushing out towards the edge of the map.
- The controls of the runes (mostly the bomb one) bugged me a bit because their use of L and R instead of ZL and ZR felt unintuitive and I kept pulling out the bow by mistake when trying to detonate my bombs. This would probably go away with a bit more exposure, though I think I would prefer if I could swap into rune mode or bow mode instead of having both on separate buttons.
- The Guardians can take a lot of punishment. I went and found the one in the ground at the Eastern Abbey and 10 arrows in its weak spot barely made a dent in its health bar. The music for the Guardian fight is awesome.
- There were a lot of long loading screens - after deaths, going into shrines, fast travelling. Ate up more time of my demo than I would've liked.
- I opened 2 chests during the exploration demo and both had 10 arrows - unsure if this was changed for the demo but I think it likely; one of them was in a Bokoblin Lair near the Eastern Abbey and was a pretty gnarly looking chest so I was disappointed not to get a cool item out of it.
- I miss rolling! Felt strange not being able to do it after playing through Wind Waker very recently.
- Using the inventory system myself has really got me wondering how traditional Zelda items will transition into this game (e.g. Bottles, the Hookshot, the Boomerang, etc.), or if they even will at all. Would the Hookshot be a breakable item? What if you needed it for a dungeon? If it's unbreakable, how is that balanced with the breakables? Would it go in the weapon slot or the "important items" menu? If so how will it fit into the control scheme? It's not like there's buttons to assign items to either. Perhaps they'll phase out the items entirely, but if that's truly the case then this game is much further removed from what one would normally call a "Zelda" game than I had thought even just through cause and effect; no key items means no progression gating or backtracking to new areas outside of the runes, which you get fairly quickly. ALBW pushed the normal Zelda item system in a different way, but I'm definitely interested to see more of how BotW handles it.
- Similarly, once you obtain the Master Sword or (if they're in the game) the Hylian/Mirror shields, will the whole "picking up new weapons and breaking old ones for crits" system become completely pointless? I don't see the Master Sword being breakable, unless it maybe degrades in condition and damage and then you have to repair it.

Can also attest to performance, IQ and DoF issues - hopefully the game gets a bit of a boost on the NX.

Despite that though, the game feels great, controls quite well, has a beautiful art style, a gorgeous soundtrack and a palpable sense of adventure. The demo has definitely gotten me pumped for the full release, but I have a lot of unanswered questions I'd like to see answered.

Could it really be a surprise tho? Unless its kondo I dont think it will be surprising. We probably looking at mahito yakito, minegeshi and whoever else been working on Zelda the past 2-3 iterations.

Dork94

Neo Member
With the amount of Ghibli influence in the visual design department and the sound of the music, I have a feeling Joe Hisaishi may be playing a role as the soundtrack has a very similar sound to his stuff. I asked her that specifically but she couldn't give me an answer. Other than not knowing I couldn't see why she wouldn't be able to tell me if it were just Yokota or Minegishi. I didn't notice any recognisable Kondo melodies in my play session.

TheMoon

Can't wait to see what's up there:

6UK7hn4.png

It's kinda adorable how obsessed you are with that ledge :D

Why cant they tell us who the composer is?

Marketing reveal plan. Stick to the info that's been okayed to give to press. Don't say anything else. Don't read too much into it. It's not Dr. Dre or Elton John. :D

Would not be shocked if Kondo did a main theme or is hands-on involved as part of the "back to the roots and go from there" theme. Which would could be a bullet point for a future press info dump with interviews.

With the amount of Ghibli influence in the visual design department and the sound of the music, I have a feeling Joe Hisaishi may be playing a role as the soundtrack has a very similar sound to his stuff. I asked her that specifically but she couldn't give me an answer. Other than not knowing I couldn't see why she wouldn't be able to tell me if it were just Yokota or Minegishi. I didn't notice any recognisable Kondo melodies in my play session.

I don't see a world where they'd hire an outside composer for a Zelda game. For this Zelda game of all things. They have enough talent in house.

Dork94

Neo Member
I don't see a world where they'd hire an outside composer for a Zelda game. For this Zelda game of all things. They have enough talent in house.

True. Perhaps the in house composers have simply taken influence from his sound. Either way, time will tell and I'm interested to hear more.

Humdinger

I'm trying to decide whether to buy an NX or a Wii U. Guess I'll wait to see what the NX is, first.

Should I buy NX just for BotW? Twice as good graphics (based on rumors). Or should I buy a Wii U to play the two HD Zeldas and Mario Kart, maybe Bayonetta, too? I dunno.

p.s. Maybe both.

NathanS

Yup. That's probably when we'll see the game next. (Along with a solid release date if it still releases in March or another delay.)

If they never actually said it was coming out in March then would it coming out after MArch really count as a delay?

TheMoon

I'm trying to decide whether to buy an NX or a Wii U. Guess I'll wait to see what the NX is, first.

Should I buy NX just for BotW? Twice as good graphics (based on rumors). Or should I buy a Wii U to play the two HD Zeldas and Mario Kart, maybe Bayonetta, too? I dunno.

p.s. Maybe both.

you shouldn't buy a Wii U for BotW.
you should buy a Wii U for all the fantastic other games for it and the dozens of Wii classics you probably also missed out on
you should buy an NX for BotW and all the other games that'll be great because that's never not a guarantee with Nintendo systems :)

If they never actually said it was coming out in March then would it coming out after MArch really count as a delay?

Too late. They had it listed as March for all of five minutes on their site during E3 so everyone will nail them for that if it releases on April 1st now.

p.s. Maybe both.

What ever you do, don't buy a Wii U. NX will very likely get a lot of really amazing games including BotW, so buying a Wii U is a waste of money.

SuomiDude

There are only a handful. Its better to wait until a better NX version on a cheaper price releases.
There will be lots of Wii U exclusives that won't hit NX. What makes you think NX will suddenly get all of the Wii U games, even improved versions when none of the previous Nintendo consoles have never get that many older games released before?

Wii U is a great purchase even now a days if you can find the system for cheap. So best thing to do is probably wait until the price goes down and then buy it and enjoy all the great games.

There will be lots of Wii U exclusives that won't hit NX. What makes you think NX will suddenly get all of the Wii U games, even improved versions when none of the previous Nintendo consoles have never get that many older games released before?

Wii U is a great purchase even now a days if you can find the system for cheap. So best thing to do is probably wait until the price goes down and then buy it and enjoy all the great games.

I'd love a bayonetta 2 on the go though...

Top Bottom