• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Breath of the Wild is the official subtitle for Zelda U/NX, first gameplay trailer

I am anticipating this game and dreading this game because of the way I play Zelda games. I really want to rush through it to see the story because I love Zelda lore; however, this game begs for exploration and to not be rushed. I'm very conflicted.

Yeah but then it'll take longer to get to that story climax where you learn the true nature of things.

Think of it this way: by rushing through the story, you cheat yourself out of the process of developing the story in your own imagination as you progress through the game.

That part really is true of pretty much all open world games, though. Esp. the more they are systems-driven. ("grenade rolls down a hill")

I have played quite a few open world games before and I have never played a system-driven open world game (more about mission-driven or checklist-driven). And your comment sounds kinda... sarcastic, if I am wrong, please bear with me as I'm not a native speaker.

TheMoon

I have played quite a few open world games before and I have never played a system-driven open world game (more about mission-driven or checklist-driven). And your comment sounds kinda... sarcastic, if I am wrong, please bear with me as I'm not a native speaker.

Wait what part sounded sarcastic?

if "grenade rolls down a hill" doesn't mean anything to you, just throw the phrase into google and/or listen to this: https://youtu.be/yy_BO8QtK-c?t=3323

What open-world games did you play that you say weren't systems driven? Stuff I'd count as that type of OW-game is most AssCreed games, inFAMOUS.

I am anticipating this game and dreading this game because of the way I play Zelda games. I really want to rush through it to see the story because I love Zelda lore; however, this game begs for exploration and to not be rushed. I'm very conflicted.

You're probably going to just journey to the Shrines and dungeons and Not Scour the ends of the earth for lore. That's a completely valid way to play. Unless you think you can beat the final dungeon from the beginning.

Where BoTW really differs from most other open world games is that you get your objective at the beginning of the game. Thus everything on the map has a seeming point. Why are you doing something can always be traced back to "it's so I can beat Ganon and Save Hyrule". This is the main issue with Checklist missions or Enemy camps. They're tied to something abstract or something not even really related to the character.

Yonafunu

So I was looking at random BotW videos again, and came across this one where I noticed something I'd never seen before. At around 1:43, while looking out over the edge of the Plateau, a large man-made structure is visible on the side of the mountain on the left:

yzYZOtH.jpg

Dungeon? Entrance to a dungeon?

13ruce

Banned
This game is really gonna be my game of the generation judging by the game play videos it really looks awesome! This game man.... You already can do so much on the plateau!

Also bonus i just got a legend of zelda tattoo it's inspired by my profille picture art.

http://imgur.com/YDAnLDZ

All my friends like it and casual people think it looks cool so no awkward situations:p and i'm so happy with it.

Also my gaf account got validated today concidence? I think so

So I was looking at random BotW videos again, and came across this one where I noticed something I'd never seen before. At around 1:43, while looking out over the edge of the Plateau, a large man-made structure is visible on the side of the mountain on the left:

Probably "Thing You Climb to Get Treasure."

sphinx

the piano man
I am really worried that this game will be too big.

GTA/Xenoblade big...

fuck that, Zelda games don't need that huge space and 300 sidequests.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Shrines aren't really sidequests.
I'm afraid we may run into another Mafia III situation if the shrines are the main thing in the game besides the huge dungeons, that's what leads to repetition regardless of how the aesthetic changes and if there's a clever shrine here or there. Has me worried man. Even more so since like Mafia III, the animation for completion is exactly the same in every shrine. :/

I am really worried that this game will be too big.

GTA/Xenoblade big...

fuck that, Zelda games don't need that huge space and 300 sidequests.

1) The most broadly successful Zelda games were always the ones with huge spaces.

2) So far we haven't seen a single true "sidequest." Just lots of things to discover if you're interested in exploring.

I'm afraid we may run into another Mafia III situation if the shrines are the main thing in the game besides the huge dungeons, that's what leads to repetition regardless of how the aesthetic changes and if there's a clever shrine here or there. Has me worried man. :/

Absolutely no chance of this. The overworld is the "main thing" in this game. The shrines are there to punctuate the experience, but if what we've seen so far is any indication, they're a very small sliver of the game.

sphinx

the piano man
1) The most broadly successful Zelda games were always the ones with huge spaces.

2) So far we haven't seen a single true "sidequest." Just lots of things to discover if you're interested in exploring.

but none had an overworld of BOTW'S proposed/confirmed size.

what can we do in such a big space?

will they have 100 container heart pieces? did they get rid of them altogether? if there are like 100 chests each containing ruppees or pointless Items, I can see not caring for them after the 20th or so.

dunno, maybe I am too pessimistic but this really looks like it's too big for Zelda proportions.

-Ryn

Banned

will they have 100 container heart pieces? did they get rid of them altogether? if there are like 100 chests each containing ruppees or pointless Items, I can see not caring for them after the 20th or so.

dunno, maybe I am too pessimistic but this really looks like it's too big for Zelda proportions.
Hopefully there are also mini games and whatnot to find in the world. Racing challenges with other characters and obstacle courses would also be great.

Snowboard Kids: Breath of the Wild

If they could also make money useful then that would be great too. It's way too easy to unintentionally amass a small fortune in a lot of games because there isn't anything to really spend them on. Usually anything you can buy could just as easily be found in the wild.

- Fight monsters
- Hunt wild animals
- Stock up on various weapons/food/crafting materials (because your weapons break really quickly and you'll constantly need new ones, and the only way to recover health is through food/consumables)
- Search for Koroks
- Screw around in various kinds of terrain environments (things like setting fires or snowboarding down mountainsides, which we've seen)
- See how far you can push the boundaries of the game's traversal systems
- Hunt for hidden caves/shrines
- Look for awesome views and locales

This is before we even get into actual structured quests.

Nickle

Cool Facts: Game of War has been a hit since July 2013
I hope there are different fishing holes, or maybe areas with swarms of fish along the Ocean. I loved fishing in Twilight Princess, it was fun trying to chase down the biggest fish.

Yeah, I remember seeing that on the stream and getting really excited, I was hoping they would go there because I initially thought it was on the Plateau. The map clearly indicates however that it's just beyond it. Totally could be a dungeon, or maybe a really interesting landmark with treasure.

I'm not convince that dungeons would be that obvious however, otherwise people would have probably spotted others in vistas by now. Especially considering that the rumoured size of them is supposed to be massive. Seems like they'll be hidden underground like in SS, or in heavily wooded areas as suggested by the Game Award footage.

Nickle

That whole mountain looks unclimbable (unless you eat a stamina boosting meal). Even thought the game emphasizes freedom of movement, I'm really glad that they'll still be isolated set pieces like these that are more structured. One of my favorite things about Zelda games is that they find a nice balance between linearity and exploration, and it looks like they won't be abandoning that with BotW.

Nickle

It's still so crazy that this game has been in full development for basically 5 years. Aonuma first talked about it in January 2013, and it seemed like they were at least half a year into development at that point. If the game releases in March, then it will be 5 years and 4 months since Skyward Sword released, and 4 years and 2 months since it was first talked about in the direct.

takriel

It's still so crazy that this game has been in full development for basically 5 years. Aonuma first talked about it in January 2013, and it seemed like they were at least half a year into development at that point. If the game releases in March, then it will be 5 years and 4 months since Skyward Sword released, and 4 years and 2 months since it was first talked about in the direct.
It's going to be interesting to read up on the game's development for sure.

I think this game will be revolutionary

not in the bringing out a grand new idea sense, not in the same way that Ocarina was

but revolutionary in the sense of how all the working parts of the game go hand and hand together, the physics, the freedom

I don't think there really is an open world game out there in development or in past that has the interactivity that BOTW has but im happy to be proven wrong

ckaneo

Im worried that Nintendo went overboard in looking for other open world games for inspiration. The world is too damn big and empty. The open air nonsense just seems like a cop out. There is no reason for the world to be as big as they made it. If they shrink it in half it would still be big enough and the density would be better.

Shiggy

Those guys really do know how to fill up a game

If there's one team at Nintendo which has repeatedly proven that it does not know how to fill up a game, it's the Zelda team. ALBW and OoT were great because the overworlds were relatively small and there wasn't so much filler content. Wind Waker, TP, and Skyward Sword had big worlds for the sake of having a big world.

Nickle

An open area is not a poorly designed area. It would be boring if the map were a clusterfuck of enemies, chests, and puzzles. There's little reward in exploration if you find something every 5 feet. The open areas are aesthetically pleasing, let you freely navigate with your horse, give you room to fight enemies and bosses, and reward the player for finding secrets and treasure.

2D Zeldas don't need open areas because fields are boring to look at with an overhead perspective, and it would be difficult to figure out where you are because you can only see a small rectangular portion at any time.

Past 3D Zeldas have failed with open areas because they are too far separated from the more linear parts. OoT, TP, and SS all had big boring areas that only serves as a hub for the actual interesting areas. Wind Waker only had problems because sailing could get really tedious, but stuff like the Quick Sail from WWHD really helped solve that issue.

Breath of the Wild takes much more inspiration from the 2D Zelda games like LTTP or Zelda 1, where there is no hub that separates all the areas. The only difference is that Breath of the Wild is much more spread out, but based on the Great Plateau, I don't think that the dev team will have trouble filling the world.

If there's one team at Nintendo which has repeatedly proven that it does not know how to fill up a game, it's the Zelda team. ALBW and OoT were great because the overworlds were relatively small and there wasn't so much filler content. Wind Waker, TP, and Skyward Sword had big worlds for the sake of having a big world.

Wind Waker's vast, empty world makes sense though and I don't feel it harms the game in any way.

Skyward Sword?!

The little Overworld where you flew with your Loftwing for 2 minutes? Hopefully that wasn't too large for you.

The worst thing about wind waker was the ugly bland ocean, it really detracted from the experience. All the more shameful since super mario sunshine showed the gamecube was capable of rendering some beautiful looking water. Should have thrown some transparency or lighting ripples on that bitch

Shiggy

Skyward Sword?!

The little Overworld where you flew with your Loftwing for 2 minutes? Hopefully that wasn't too large for you.

Don't you still think it was a pointless empty overworld?

I'm honestly not a big fan of games where you just walk aimlessly through some world without knowing whether you'll ever find something. I don't do that in real world either as I don't enjoy it. I usually plan to some extent where to go and what to expect there. That's why I prefer smaller open world titles or more linear experiences like the 2D Zeldas. Simply a question of personal preference.

Then again, Mafia 2 and Bully have shown that you can even make a small open world extremely boring.

TheMoon

Well, Big Zelda dev cycle is Big Zelda dev cycle. Nothing new here.

Im worried that Nintendo went overboard in looking for other open world games for inspiration. The world is too damn big and empty. The open air nonsense just seems like a cop out. There is no reason for the world to be as big as they made it. If they shrink it in half it would still be big enough and the density would be better.

A whole bunch of conjecture here. Also, you haven't seen shit yet lol. Stop it with the "empty" nonsense.

13ruce

Banned
What i have seen of the game it does not look empty at all, there is wildlife plants etc nearly everywhere and you can even interact with the environment in cool gameplay ways.

Maybe the older games may be but this one certainly is not empty. Some places maybe are to give it a more realistic feeling because in real life there are also empty places.

ika

I remember Reggie said somewhere after E3 that they would give us more information on this game across the summer, but we are well into autumn and we got nothing yet... :( I hope the rumoured NX Direct this week will include a new Zelda trailer...

Nickle

I remember Reggie said somewhere after E3 that they would give us more information on this game across the summer, but we are well into autumn and we got nothing yet... :( I hope the rumoured NX Direct this week will include a new Zelda trailer...
We got a couple of videos that showed off stuff like food, weapons, bombs, and the Temple of Time. I'd imagine that's what they were talking about.

Top Bottom