• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Breonna Taylor’s Family to Receive $12 Million Settlement From City of Louisville

AfricanKing

Jul 16, 2017

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/09/15/us/breonna-taylor-settlement-louisville.html?referringSource=articleShare

LOUISVILLE, Ky. — After months of protests that turned Breonna Taylor’s name into a national slogan against police violence, city officials have agreed to pay her family $12 million and institute reforms aimed at preventing future deaths by police officers, according to three people familiar with the details.
The settlement of a wrongful-death lawsuit brought by relatives of Ms. Taylor, a young Black woman killed by white officers in a botched drug raid six months ago, is expected to be announced Tuesday by the family’s legal team and city officials, according to those briefed on the agreement.

Besides the multimillion-dollar settlement, among the highest to be awarded in a police killing in recent years, the city has also agreed to institute a number of changes in policing. They will impose more scrutiny on officers during the execution of search warrants, like the one that precipitated the death of Ms. Taylor, a 26-year-old emergency room technician, and make mandatory safeguards that were common practice in the department but were not followed the night of the March 13 raid.

Ms. Taylor died after her boyfriend said he mistook police officers for an intruder, as they rammed in the door of her apartment after midnight to execute a search warrant. He fired his handgun, striking one of the officers, setting off a response in which a torrent of bullets sliced through Ms. Taylor’s apartment and two adjoining ones, leaving her bleeding in her hallway. There was no effort to render her aid, as the officers outside scrambled to get an ambulance for the wounded officer.

The protests began locally and have grown in volume and intensity. They have ravaged the downtown of Kentucky’s largest city, where businesses and government offices are boarded up. And the young woman’s death has burrowed deep into the national conversation: Both the former first lady Michelle Obama and the vice-presidential nominee Kamala Harris called out her name at the Democratic National Convention last month, Oprah Winfrey has erected dozens of billboards demanding justice for the young woman and W.N.B.A. players have placed her name onto their jerseys.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Nobody_Important

DeaDPooL_jlp

Sep 20, 2015
I am more upset that facts are sorta left up to many peoples interpretations of what happened in regards to this case. No knock raids are dangerous even if they can prove without a doubt they are at the right place with the right people inside. There could be kids or other innocents in the same house who without knowledge end up becoming a victim while a hail of bullets start flying.

Last edited:

TrainedRage

Boss Blue Balls
Feb 3, 2018
USA
One person is worth 12 million? That’s the human life dollar amount? Is that for everyone or just people of a certain skin color?
I wonder when MN government will start paying out to all those people who died in the riots or had their businesses burned down?

cryptoadam

... and he cannot lie
Feb 21, 2018
Welcome to the USA martys fund just like the PLO. GoFundMe and court settlements. We are already seeing it but I expect things to intesify with more attempts to get cops to do something "brutal" so people can get pay offs. Its what happens in Palestine where going and killing Jews pays more than having a regular job.

The money was only paid out because of all the pressure. I guess you can make a case that the cop who actually shot through the window a bunch of times didn't take proper precautions. Worth 12 million I guess.

Dec 10, 2018
Welcome to the USA martys fund just like the PLO. GoFundMe and court settlements. We are already seeing it but I expect things to intesify with more attempts to get cops to do something "brutal" so people can get pay offs. Its what happens in Palestine where going and killing Jews pays more than having a regular job.

The money was only paid out because of all the pressure. I guess you can make a case that the cop who actually shot through the window a bunch of times didn't take proper precautions. Worth 12 million I guess.
The ghetto lottery

Piku_Ringo

Jan 24, 2015
One person is worth 12 million? That’s the human life dollar amount? Is that for everyone or just people of a certain skin color?
I wonder when MN government will start paying out to all those people who died in the riots or had their businesses burned down?
She got defunded from life. Surely, her family deserves a little refund as compensation for it.

SF Kosmo

Formerly 'SF Chode'
Jul 7, 2020
I am more upset that facts are sorta left up to many peoples interpretations of what happened in regards to this case. No knock raids are dangerous even if they can prove without a doubt they are at the right place with the right people inside. There could be kids or other innocents in the same house who without knowledge end up becoming a victim while a hail of bullets start flying.
Her sister and young niece lived with her and were lucky enough not to be home that night. The police had no idea. Could have easily shot a 5 year old. They had done no surveillance. The warrant was served based on months-old intel. The whole thing was beyond sloppy.

The whole case is a lie. The cops knocked. They should have actually executed the no-knock part of the no-knock warrant.
They knocked, but they didn't identify themselves loud enough for anyone in the bedroom to hear them, which kind of defeats the purpose.

I have defended two of the three cops on this scene, who were just doing their jobs. But they are not who is being sued here, though, it's the city. And they fucked up REAL BAD.

• The warrant was based on months old surveillance. They didn't do any before the raid. At all. They had no clue who was in there.
  • They refused body cameras. Shady.
  • The guy they were looking for had already been arrested
  • One of the cops ran around the side and fired blindly into the apartment like a fucking psycho
  • That same guy has a laundry list of past complaints, from rape, to grand theft, to brutality, that the department covered up
  • They were using a place-based investigative unit to target homes that were in the way of a development plan by the city, possibly with connections to city hall itself
All this to say, the department is corrupt and they fucked up REALLY bad. And that's not the fault of the cops on scene, but the city was wise to settle this suit.

Sad part, is it won't matter when the criminal investigation comes out and it is anything less than death sentence and the riots start again.
There is still no criminal investigation, no arrests. Even for the crooked cop.

Last edited:

dorkimoe

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2007
I wish they would have said “we award 12 million, but we have to take out money for all the damages to the city by “peaceful protests”

SF Kosmo

Formerly 'SF Chode'
Jul 7, 2020
Tell me your version of events as per current known details.
Can I take this?

• City wants clear a street for a housing project, creates a police unit to specifically target homes on this street in order to get the property cheap
  • Police clear house they are targetting and arrest suspect.
  • Even though they have already arrested the suspect, police also serve a warrant on another "known address" for the guy they already arrested, his ex-girlfriend, Breonna Taylor.
  • Although surveillance from the previous year indicates Bre may have been an accomplice to suspect at some point, police have not done any surveillance in months. They are unaware of most of the apartment's residents, including a small child.
  • One of the cops on the scene has more than 40 complaints against him, including stealing thousands in drug money, rape, and brutality. Corrupt PD covered up all complaints and kept him on the force.
  • Police in this unit have refused to wear bodycams for reasons unknown.
  • Police identify themselves only from outside of the building, without amplification, bust in the door with a battering ram, and enter the darkened apartment.
  • Frightened resident fires a single shot hits cop in leg.
  • Police fire aimlessly into the darkness. Third cop (corrupt psycho mentioned before) runs around the side of the building and fires blindly into the building, without any care if he hits his fellow officers or anyone else. Five shots hit Breonna Taylor
  • Police control investigation, refuse to run ballistics on the scene to show who shot who.
That's the situation as I understand it. It's a goddamn mess. So many people fucked up so bad in this.

I don't blame officer Mattingly, he took a bullet and fired back, of course what else is he supposed to do? But he shouldn't have even been there.

And Hankinson should have been fired long before that. The fact that he wasn't shows how completely corrupt the department is. But you'll stan a rapist stealing drug money before you'll feel a bit of empathy for a regular taxpaying woman with a shitty drug dealer ex.

Last edited:

#Phonepunk#

Sep 4, 2018
Breonna was no threat to Police and ended up dead due to negligence.
Her boyfriend literally shot them through the door. your claim is bullshit

She ended up dead because her boyfriend heard a knock on the door and shot his gun at it. Cut it with this “no threat” crap

Last edited:

haxan7

Volunteered as Tribute
May 9, 2016
h*ck
Can I take this?

• City wants clear a street for a housing project, creates a police unit to specifically target homes on this street in order to get the property cheap
  • Police clear house they are targetting and arrest suspect.
  • Even though they have already arrested the suspect, police also serve a warrant on another "known address" for the guy they already arrested, his ex-girlfriend, Breonna Taylor.
  • Although surveillance from the previous year indicates Bre may have been an accomplice to suspect at some point, police have not done any surveillance in months. They are unaware of most of the apartment's residents, including a small child.
  • One of the cops on the scene has more than 40 complaints against him, including stealing thousands in drug money, rape, and brutality. Corrupt PD covered up all complaints and kept him on the force.
  • Police in this unit have refused to wear bodycams for reasons unknown.
  • Police identify themselves only from outside of the building, without amplification, bust in the door with a battering ram, and enter the darkened apartment.
  • Frightened resident fires a single shot hits cop in leg.
  • Police fire aimlessly into the darkness. Third cop (corrupt psycho mentioned before) runs around the side of the building and fires blindly into the building, without any care if he hits his fellow officers or anyone else. Five shots hit Breonna Taylor
  • Police control investigation, refuse to run ballistics on the scene to show who shot who.
That's the situation as I understand it. It's a goddamn mess. So many people fucked up so bad in this.

I don't blame officer Mattingly, he took a bullet and fired back, of course what else is he supposed to do? But he shouldn't have even been there.

And Hankinson should have been fired long before that. The fact that he wasn't shows how completely corrupt the department is. But you'll stan a rapist stealing drug money before you'll feel a bit of empathy for a regular taxpaying woman with a shitty drug dealer ex.
Here you go:

Reactions: cryptoadam

autoduelist

Gold Member
Aug 30, 2014
Breonna was no threat to Police and ended up dead due to negligence. She was unjustly killed in her home.

Unless you want to make the case the police had a justified reason for killing her ... then say it.
I am asking for your version of known events.

I am not scared of speaking my mind. Once we establish what you think happened, we can then make sure we are on the same page regarding actual known facts, and then we can discuss what that means.

Me saying anything while you may be operating with an incorrect version of events is pointless.

SF Kosmo

Formerly 'SF Chode'
Jul 7, 2020
Not one fucking word of this contradicts anything I said.

Some of it is misleading, too. Breonna's name was on the warrant as a resident of the apartment, but she was not listed as a target. The target was Glover, who had already been arrested.

"Knee deep in criminal activity," is a stretch, too. It looks like she received packages a few times, maybe acted as a bank, but all of that was old, there's no indication she was still involved at the time of the arrest.

Last edited:

cryptoadam

... and he cannot lie
Feb 21, 2018
Here you can read 49 page report about it.

EDIT: removed Tatum vid already posted.

Last edited:

AfricanKing

Jul 16, 2017
I am asking for your version of known events.

I am not scared of speaking my mind. Once we establish what you think happened, we can then make sure we are on the same page regarding actual known facts, and then we can discuss what that means.

Me saying anything while you may be operating with an incorrect version of events is pointless.
Then feel free to say your version of events

SF Kosmo

Formerly 'SF Chode'
Jul 7, 2020
And you know because you watched the 11 minute video in 2 minutes after I posted it? Or because you're another salty Commie who doesn't want to face reality and wants to live in a world of victimhood?
Show me where I'm wrong.

I am not one-sided on this one, I have read all of this shit. I know Bre was dating a drug dealer and had some involvement in his shit. I know they knocked first. I said that in my post. But I stand by my assessment.

Last edited:

Reallink

Jan 7, 2008
It was not a no knock raid, the cops beating on the door is why Taylor's boyfriend opened fire on them (hitting 1), he believed it was Taylor's drug dealing accomplices breaking in. The cops all but assuredly identified themselves as police, but Taylor and the BF were reportedly in bed watching TV and likely didn't hear it, but did hear the banging on the door.

Not one fucking word of this contradicts anything I said.

Some of it is misleading, too. Breonna's name was on the warrant as a resident of the apartment, but she was not listed as a target. The target was Glover, who had already been arrested.

"Knee deep in criminal activity," is a stretch, too. It looks like she received packages a few times, maybe acted as a bank, but all of that was old, there's no indication she was still involved at the time of the arrest.
They hit all of Glover's known locations simultaneously (page 11-12) according to reports.

Last edited:
  • Thoughtful
Reactions: rorepmE

Schrödinger's cat

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2011
Oh, so you have no interest in going on the record. Pathetic.
Obviously, Murtaugh and Riggs are buddy-cop names that have already been taken.

So I'm thinking we could give the pair something else to easily identify their tag-team efforts.
  • Bluff and Bluster™
  • Sprocket and Flubbs™
  • Hurner and Tooch™
  • Mango and Fash™
  • Ragney and Spacey™
I put those in bullet points - so that means they're FACTS.

Boss Mog

Dec 12, 2013
That's misinformation like "hands up don't shoot" because according to the police reports they knocked on her door and that's why she died because her boyfriend got his gun and shot at the cops so the cops came in shooting. The other guy's house they raided, they did a no-knock and they arrested him without any issues. knocking gives thugs warning to arm themselves.

Reactions: DeaDPooL_jlp

Batiman

Danger: male feminist
Feb 11, 2020
Off topic, but what’s with you Americans always wearing their masks on their chins? Drives me nuts seeing that in the every photo. Either wear one or don’t. I don’t get it.

Reactions: Mihos

SF Kosmo

Formerly 'SF Chode'
Jul 7, 2020
It was not a no knock raid, the cops beating on the door is why Taylor's boyfriend opened fire on them through the door (hitting 1), he believed it was Taylor's drug dealing acquaintances breaking in. The cops all but assuredly identified themselves as police, but Taylor and the BF were were reportedly in bed watching TV and likely didn't hear it, but did hear the banging on the door.
We don't really know for sure, since there were no bodycams. Given that one of the responding officers liked to steal drug money, it's easy to understand why.

Given this PD's habit of covering up officer's crimes, it's hard to trust internal affairs on any of this, but yes what you are saying is the official story as I understand it.

Last edited:

autoduelist

Gold Member
Aug 30, 2014
Sure, but your understanding of events has no bearing on AfricanKing AfricanKing 's understanding of events.

He is the one with the claim

Being unlawfully murdered by police does.
On the other hand, you yourself state:

Even if we take every single other thing you stated at face value, does that sound like 'murder' to you?

mur•der mûr′dər►
n. The killing of another person without justification or excuse, especially the crime of killing a person with malice aforethought or with recklessness manifesting extreme indifference to the value of human life.

As you stated, the officer was under fire and hit. That in itself means it is not murder.

If AfricanKing AfricanKing is going to use weighted words like murder, that suggests he has a faulty understanding of what went down. If he has a faulty understanding of what went down, there is no point in me saying 'it was not murder' because for all I know his faulty version has the cop executing Breonna while saying 'i am murdering you'.

But you'll stan a rapist stealing drug money before you'll feel a bit of empathy for a regular taxpaying woman with a shitty drug dealer ex.
Yep. You are disingenuous as fuck. Show me where I stanned for anyone in this case. Show me where I lacked empathy. And perhaps consider she may have been neck deep in the drug game before you pull the 'regular taxpaying woman' spiel.

I love how every cop is pure villain in this fantasy BLM world, and every drug dealer is a saint, anyone, regardless history, an innocent taxpayer. The full details of any involvement Taylor may have had in the trade is unknown. That is why I call her Breonna Taylor, and don't paint her as a villain, don't paint her as a saint. We do not know the full details. But I'm not trying to spin a narrative like you are.

Last edited: