• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Breonna Taylor’s Family to Receive $12 Million Settlement From City of Louisville

SF Kosmo

Formerly 'SF Chode'
Jul 7, 2020
I love how every cop is pure villain in this fantasy BLM world, and every drug dealer is a saint
I said two of the three cops were doing their jobs and one was a villain, and Bre seems like a woman who got mixed up with the wrong dude and did some bad things, but not a hardened criminal and certainly didn't deserve what happened.

I think that's a fair assessment, I'm not painting any side here as all good or bad, but I think it's fucked up that people want to dance on this woman's grave like they do because she passed a couple packages.

Last edited:

autoduelist

Gold Member
Aug 30, 2014
I have no interest in writing paragraphs for well documented incidents . You tell me your version of events and I’ll let you know if I agree with it.
I will return your low effort post with a low effort post.

My version: she was clearly not 'murdered', as you claim.

.... ok, i'll offer a bit more effort.

She was most likely in the game. Her house was considered a trap house. Glover used her address on offical documents. He used her car.

“Detectives received Jamarcus Glover’s bank records from Chase Bank. On these bank statements, Jamarcus Glover used 3003 Springfield Drive, #4, Louisville, KY 40214 as his mailing address.”

According to reports, Glover, who, in addition to his 2015 drug trafficking conviction had several other pending drug and weapon cases against him, was named on the March 13th warrant that sent officers to Taylor’s apartment.
So... police knew they were dealing with an armed drug dealer.

Police also installed a tracking device on Glover’s red Dodge Charger and found that he visited Taylor’s home six times in January 2020. The leaked documents included pictures of Glover picking up packages at Taylor’s house.
At a house known for drug trafficking...

And Breonna likely not only knew about it, but was involved:

In transcribed conversations from the morning of March 13th, hours after Taylor was killed, Glover told another woman that Taylor had $8,000 of his money.

He said:

“Bre got down like $15 grand, she had the $8 grand I gave her the other day and she picked up another $6 grand.”

He continued:

“Bre been handling all my money, she been handling my money. She been handling my (expletive) for me and cuz, it ain’t just me.”

He added:

“And later, I can walk in that house (Bre’s) and go directly to whatever it is no problem with it.”

This does not mean her murder was right, or couldn't have been avoided, or that we shouldn't have better procedures in place.

But it would be great if we could stop presenting nuanced cases as cops 'murdering' innocent people because they were black. It was a drug house, she was likely fully involved, and someone in the house fired at cops. Her death was accidental, not intentional.

And her death was very much the fault of the men in her life, and most likely, her own actions played some role as well. We can complain about policy, we can work on reform... but we need to also be honest about culpability.

If she was the "regular taxpaying woman" some claim, she would still be alive. This does not mean she deserved to die. But it does mean it is impossible to discuss the nuances of a case with people who only see rage. There are certainly issues that need to be resolved in terms of police policy, but let's stop calling it 'murder'.

autoduelist

Gold Member
Aug 30, 2014
I said two of the three cops were doing their jobs and one was a villain, and Bre seems like a woman who got mixed up with the wrong dude and did some bad things, but not a hardened criminal and certainly didn't deserve what happened.

I think that's a fair assessment, I'm not painting any side here as all good or bad, but I think it's fucked up that people want to dance on this woman's grave like they do because she passed a couple packages.
Receipts?

• LOL
Reactions: Schrödinger's cat

Ballthyrm

Jun 21, 2013
Montpellier
Imagine how much better of a Police force they would have had if they invested in their police instead of paying reparations.

Just like education, if you think knowledge is costly , try ignorance. They have been ignoring their police training and hiring practices for too long.

Reactions: clem84

cormack12

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2013
No amount of compensation can bring back a loved one. You know the type of people who are going to find ways to get some of that paper though.

Anyway £9 million can do a lot of good in your own community, the most fitting tribute is that something good comes of it. I'm sure if you wanted to make a statement then that money would find ways to give all the people in that neighborhood a chance of breaking out. There could be no greater advertisment for BLM than seeing the fruits of those opportunities realised and held up as an example.

Of course you could also just keep the cash yourself and think 'got mine'. Let's revisit in a couple of years.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: DeepEnigma

Reallink

Jan 7, 2008
My mistake, page 11-12 (counting the title page) covers the simultaneous 3/13 raids which included Taylor's place. Also of interest on page 10 and 11 is Taylor photographed still riding around with Glover in Mid February, and that he (or both of them?) were still using her car for apparent drug deals. Were they even still dating at the time, was her new boyfriend not in the picture by then? Certainly casts a lot of side-eye doubt on Taylor being a merely guilty by association innocent bystander.

Last edited:
Reactions: cryptoadam

Lanrutcon

Feb 19, 2014
Irrelevant
That's nice.

In my country a drunk driver killed two young women and fled the scene. Turned himself in, and a lawyer got him off with a R6000 fine.

That's $364,50 US for each of the lives he took.

#Phonepunk#

Sep 4, 2018
Perhaps if cops had x ray vision this whole thing could have been avoided and she would still be alive.

Or maybe if she didn’t fuck and hang around with drug dealers who shoot at people.

That would have worked too.

Last edited:
Reactions: slugbahr and clem84
Oct 26, 2018
Perhaps if cops had x ray vision this whole thing could have been avoided and she would still be alive.

Or maybe if she didn’t fuck and hang around with drug dealers who shoot at people.

That would have worked too.
Numbnuts are held to a lower standard.

So when druggies, gangbangers, and looters do stupid stuff, nobody really cares or expects them to act at a minimum level of responsibility. People caught in the crossfire hanging out with them are lumped into the same pile.

That's why Chicago gang violence is an Illinois kind of thing. Nobody else really hears about it. But if there were White or Korean gangs killing 10 people per weekend you'd hear about that nationwide all day.

On the other hand cops are held to a higher standard and so are Whites. When BLM mobs and causes trouble, people turn a blind eye including government. They let it go since nobody expects those mobs to be brainers. If an average White dude wants to protect his property with a gun, he gets shit on because 'ol Cracker should know better.

Last edited:

dionysus

Yaldog
May 12, 2007
Texaa
Fake news has been real successful in lying to the public. Got a bunch of people in this thread spouting the lie that Breonna Taylor was not involved in drug trafficing and that the warrant was only for her ex-boyfriends arrest. Both lies, the warrant was to search all locations because all locations had been used to traffic drugs, and Breonna Taylor herself was involved.

Also conveniently leaving out the fact that her boyfriend fired at the cops first. I guess cops have to be navy SEAL level trigger discipline with 1/100th the training, otherwise it is murder to return fire.

Last edited:
Reactions: slugbahr

DeaDPooL_jlp

Sep 20, 2015
That's misinformation like "hands up don't shoot" because according to the police reports they knocked on her door and that's why she died because her boyfriend got his gun and shot at the cops so the cops came in shooting. The other guy's house they raided, they did a no-knock and they arrested him without any issues. knocking gives thugs warning to arm themselves.
I just meant in general they could be very dangerous, not that it was an issue in this particular case. I'm aware that they did indeed knock and the other details of this case.

Last edited:

Mihos

Gold Member
May 10, 2009
steamcommunity.com
Breonna was no threat to Police and ended up dead due to negligence. She was unjustly killed in her home.

Unless you want to make the case the police had a justified reason for killing her ... then say it.
I can agree with this much.

Murder requires intent though. If the ballistics can determine one of them actually fired blindly into the house, then it could be manslaughter and he should be be charged and put on trial.

Reactions: Nobody_Important

YCoCg

Apr 25, 2020
It wont bring her back but at least her family can move on. As for people in this section being salty, well, we've already had the same posters defend a child being killed so it doesn't surprise me they're trying to dig up other peoples dirt and pin it on her, I just hope non of your family are ever involved in such situations.

• Fire
Reactions: Nobody_Important

finowns

May 10, 2009
Her sister and young niece lived with her and were lucky enough not to be home that night. The police had no idea. Could have easily shot a 5 year old. They had done no surveillance. The warrant was served based on months-old intel. The whole thing was beyond sloppy.

They knocked, but they didn't identify themselves loud enough for anyone in the bedroom to hear them, which kind of defeats the purpose.

I have defended two of the three cops on this scene, who were just doing their jobs. But they are not who is being sued here, though, it's the city. And they fucked up REAL BAD.

• The warrant was based on months old surveillance. They didn't do any before the raid. At all. They had no clue who was in there.
  • They refused body cameras. Shady.
  • The guy they were looking for had already been arrested
  • One of the cops ran around the side and fired blindly into the apartment like a fucking psycho
  • That same guy has a laundry list of past complaints, from rape, to grand theft, to brutality, that the department covered up
  • They were using a place-based investigative unit to target homes that were in the way of a development plan by the city, possibly with connections to city hall itself
All this to say, the department is corrupt and they fucked up REALLY bad. And that's not the fault of the cops on scene, but the city was wise to settle this suit.

There is still no criminal investigation, no arrests. Even for the crooked cop.
Taylor associated herself with a criminal. Allowed a criminal into her home with a gun. And if she allowed her sister and niece to be in her house as well she’s an even bigger scum bag than I thought.

May 22, 2018
Im glad the city isn't just trying to pay to make the problem go away. Their intentions to make changes to the police force among other things is a good start. And the dollar amount is high enough that I hope it provides incentives for other cities to do the same in order to help prevent something like this from happening again.

Reactions: Mihos

SF Kosmo

Formerly 'SF Chode'
Jul 7, 2020
Taylor associated herself with a criminal. Allowed a criminal into her home with a gun. And if she allowed her sister and niece to be in her house as well she’s an even bigger scum bag than I thought.
The boyfriend wasn't a criminal. Legal gun owner. Not the same person as the drug dealer ex.

Reactions: finowns

Boswollocks

Apr 19, 2019
Mars
I don't know anything about this story

In the BBC article they quoted the lawyer or whoever saying "This isn't enough, we want justice", fair enough. Then go on to say "this isn't about money or a cash settlement".

If they want justice, they now have to invest a good portion of that money back in to the community, or else they've damaged their own credibility.

If this young woman wanted to help people, then use the money to build a community centre and training facility, in her name and upskill all of the residents who want to better themselves.