Brexit

May 30, 2013
Just to say that the way you speak in hyperbole and absolute is really annoying, despite asking yoshi if he's ''old enough to remember'' I dont think you're very old either, or you dont come off as such. Ireland is NOT fucked, nor is the UK or EU and no Australian ships are ready to ship meat.

I just want you to understand that real life is not like videogame and things that may appear simple to you (like the Brexit, which is absolutely not, but you're probably young) are most of the time way more complicated, and takes time. The Brexit may set in motion new economics trend of which we'll see the real repercussions in a a generation maybe, but Ireland, the UK and the rest of the EU are highly developed economies, they are not fucked, not failling either, they'll be just fine. They might not enjoy past growth in the future, but that is a byproduct of globalization.

I just want you to relax boy, e-v-e-r-y-t-h-i-n-g will be fine and your mommy will still love you tomorrow 👩‍👦.
He sound just like Tim Martin the numpty that runs Wetherspoons pubs. He to likes to rant and be hyperbolic in regards to brexit as well.

Mar 28, 2018
So are we cutting ourselves, crashing a car, falling off a cliff, jumping into the unknown or leaving Europe for somewhere slightly east of Nova Scotia? :pie_thinking:
No, Parliament is betraying the democratic vote of the British people, on the basis that "No Deal" is never acceptable this attitude means that either we
Don't leave the EU
Vote to leave on the Withdrawal Agreement and then post the 2 year period vote to not leave the EU
have a referendum to not leave the EU./

Makariel

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2018
Whatever is decided today might not even matter, since all 27 EU countries have to say "yes" to an extension. If one of these 27 decides to say "no", all of this circus is for nothing and no deal it is ;)

Mar 28, 2018
Whatever is decided today might not even matter, since all 27 EU countries have to say "yes" to an extension. If one of these 27 decides to say "no", all of this circus is for nothing and no deal it is ;)
Not quite true, if the amendment right now passes then we cannot legally leave the EU without a deal, extension or no.

Mar 12, 2014
Sorry guys, we tried to walk out the front door but it was locked and we couldn't find our keys. We really tried leaving the building though, we swear. Tea anyone?

Mar 28, 2018
No just the gammons. Gammons do not equal all the majority in my mind. Just the select few. If it is an offensive term I apologise and won’t use that G word anymore
I'm not concerned with it being offensive, I'm concerned with it being a straw man, created to allow those who disagree with the majority to spit vitriol in its direction.

Its cheap politics, indulgent narcissism and an indicator of misplaced arrogance.

Makariel

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2018
There is already one confirmed resignation tonight, surely more to follow.
No-deal is rejected. So...
Not quite true, if the amendment right now passes then we cannot legally leave the EU without a deal, extension or no.
The amendment can be overturned with another vote in the house, correct? All of these today were non-binding votes. And the only legally binding thing right now is that UK leaves on the 29th of March as long as the EU does not agree to an extension of article 50. So Nigel Farage can have a few pints with his buddies and if he convinces one country to block the extension that would be it.

It just occured to me how ironic it would be if Brexit would be "saved" by a vote by MEPs. But at this stage nothing would surprise me anymore.

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2018
Teresa May is a deeply confusing person

Her deal gets rejected by landslides twice but she literally will not say anything but 'MUH DEAL'.

From one viewpoint, she looks like an oblivious idiot. But then, this intransigence has seen her carry on as PM when anyone else would have gone. Maybe if she just keeps saying 'MUH DEAL' enough it will work?? I just don't know. WHAT IS HER GAME?? IS THIS 4D CHESS OF SOME KIND WHAT IS SHE DOING

Anyway, remainers and hardline Brexiters both clearly still think their best case scenario is in play. Corbs is hesitant to go full bore for a 2nd ref as he knows a lot of Labour's base voted leave. He is playing for an extension, to facilitate new deal with the EU that waters down Brexit. Could this happen?

So probably tomorrow HOC votes to extend article 50. But it's not straightforward to actually do this, and the clock is ticking...

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2014
Teresa May is a deeply confusing person

Her deal gets rejected by landslides twice but she literally will not say anything but 'MUH DEAL'.

From one viewpoint, she looks like an oblivious idiot. But then, this intransigence has seen her carry on as PM when anyone else would have gone. Maybe if she just keeps saying 'MUH DEAL' enough it will work?? I just don't know. WHAT IS HER GAME?? IS THIS 4D CHESS OF SOME KIND WHAT IS SHE DOING

Anyway, remainers and hardline Brexiters both clearly still think their best case scenario is in play. It's going to the wire y'all
She wants you to believe she is in favor of leaving, but she is not really in favor of leaving at all. There's nothing confusing.

Mar 14, 2018
Technically a 'no deal Brexit' is not truly rejected.

If the country is in shambles and can't delay Brexit by March 29th, then a no deal Brexit is forced upon them and we all get to enjoy the fireworks after that.
ya, they still have to extend article 50 to avoid this

I don't know how this works? Someone on DT comments was saying the HOL can veto any art 50 extension somehow if at least one member gets up and talks long enough to prevent the legislation going through on time? This may be bullshit tho. but it seems a short period of time and they need to pass legislation

Mogg seems weirdly confident. What does he know??

Last edited:
May 4, 2005
Germany
www.gaming-universe.de
She wants you to believe she is in favor of leaving, but she is not really in favor of leaving at all. There's nothing confusing.
If she is against leaving, then what is the sense of her current strategy? At some point she would at least be in favour of a second referendum, considering she will definitely not call off Brexits just on her own. And her time to back a second referendum is almost up with no indication she wants to allow a second referendum.

Mar 12, 2014
Technically a 'no deal Brexit' is not truly removed from possibility.

If the country is in shambles and can't delay Brexit by March 29th, then a no deal Brexit is forced upon them and we all get to enjoy the fireworks after that.
I bet the people who matter already know a delay will be agreed to or have a contingency plan in play behind the scenes. When the political elites and media say X, the rubes who vote Y don't matter. All that matters is pretending the rubes matter.

Mar 12, 2014
If she is against leaving, then what is the sense of her current strategy? At some point she would at least be in favour of a second referendum, considering she will definitely not call off Brexits just on her own. And her time to back a second referendum is almost up with no indication she wants to allow a second referendum.
She now has multiple votes against a no deal brexit, right? Probably all the cover needed, and I am sure they'd rather lose a few seats before losing a second referendum. I don't know. I'm cynical by nature especially when the have's are at odds with the have nots. Never once have I been convinced they made her PM to get this done. Always expected she was selected because she has the shrewd political chops necessary to pretend she tried, while avoiding it ultimately.

May 4, 2005
Germany
www.gaming-universe.de
She now has multiple votes against a no deal brexit, right? Probably all the cover needed, and I am sure they'd rather lose a few seats before losing a second referendum. I don't know. I'm cynical by nature especially when the have's are at odds with the have nots. Never once have I been convinced they made her PM to get this done. Always expected she was selected because she has the shrewd political chops necessary to pretend she tried, while avoiding it ultimately.
If she was pretending to try to get it done, she should receive an Oscar. Her behaviour so far is making remaining in the EU basically impossible. Clearly impossible without a second Referendum.

Mar 14, 2018
They way I understand, tonight TM tried to weasel MUH DEAL into the motion, which said along the lines of "we won't leave without a deal on March 29, and the only way to do this is with a deal. ". Effectively, she was trying to trick remainers into tacitly backing her deal in the guise of "rejecting no deal"

the remainers saw through her bullshit and managed to remove this, and the motion that passed was just a flat rejection of no deal with no caveats.

TM ordered her party to vote against this change but several minsiters defied her. According to all convention this means they now need to resign or be sacked. These are strange times so this might not happen, but the whole thing makes TM look even more inept than she did.

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2014
If she was pretending to try to get it done, she should receive an Oscar. Her behaviour so far is making remaining in the EU basically impossible. Clearly impossible without a second Referendum.
Then why bother having any more votes after her deal was defeated? The EU isn't going to make significant concessions knowing Parliament rejects no deal this close to the deadline. Again, I am cynical and from the other side of the pond. Maybe there's stuff I am missing.

May 4, 2005
Germany
www.gaming-universe.de
Then why bother having any more votes after her deal was defeated? The EU isn't going to make significant concessions knowing Parliament rejects no deal this close to the deadline. Again, I am cynical and from the other side of the pond. Maybe there's stuff I am missing.
Because, as you see, No Deal Bexit has no majority in the house. I think she still tries to get a variant of her deal through. And considering she was opposed to the unlimited vote on no deal brexit, it is clear she actually wanted to keep that option open.

Mar 14, 2018
Some believe she will hold a third vote on her deal. This makes sense in light of today's events, as she was angling to position her deal into the vote today.

She has been trying to scare the ERG (brexit faction of her party) into backing her deal, by saying the alternative might be 'no brexit at all'. But I don't think she will carry through this threat, and the ERG seem to believe she is bluffing too.

However, she may intend to have one last attempt. If that fails, then either we exit no deal, or extend and possibly remain. Personally, I don't think she will dare to overturn the referendum result. But we will see.

OSC

Banned
Jun 16, 2018
Britain is lucky I'm not in power. I'd have taken military action against them, and perhaps wholesale government replacement had I had the chance.

Normally I"m for unity, but unity while respecting divisions and existing order. But if abuses get too out of hand, it boils my blood that such locations exist.

Jun 20, 2018
For me both options work remain or leave but damn lol
The fact that they sneaked in even having a vote concerning no deal is already telling enough there was nothing to vote on, it was already decided 2 years ago but yeah sneaky politicians be sneaky.

Last edited:
Aug 22, 2018
We cannot legally CHOOSE to do so. It doesn't mean we can't. If we can't agree a deal and the EU doesn't grant us an extension to the agreed exit date, it's no deal by default. As such that bill was just pissing in the wind.

llien

Gold Member
Feb 1, 2017
I'm struggling to make sense of what's going on.
"This deal is bad" but we won't tell you what we want stance is so irrational.

So perhaps in reality it is, correct me if I'm stating nonsense:
1) Hardline brexiteers within conservatives torpedoing the deal
2) Labor too tempted to undermine May to actually vote for the deal
3) But when it gets to a "mkay, then hard brexit" point, Labor votes to rule that out

If that is right, May's game is to get to a point where Labor party will have to choose between her deal (in reality, what about it could realistically be changed?) or hard brexit.

He is playing for an extension, to facilitate new deal with the EU that waters down Brexit. Could this happen?
It would mean UK getting mandates in European Parliament, would be ridiculous if it happens.

Last edited: