Brexit

llien

Gold Member
Feb 1, 2017
How the parliament voted:

Some humor.

after all the authoritarian shit they've been doing lately
EU parliament did something stupid, but local governments need to adopt it, for it to work anywhere.

Last edited:

Makariel

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2018
fuck the eu, especially after all the authoritarian shit they've been doing lately
At this stage I'm not sure what is worse, and authoritarian government that at least gets their shit together, or one that just stopped to function?

The MPs were "taking back control" yesterday. The outcome? The only thing they all seem to agree is that they can't agree on anything.

Let's all sing along:

May 15, 2018
i dont care about all this brexit bullshit. but i cant fucking stand the name brexit. whats with fucking english people and making the worst fucking nicknames for every single goddamn thing that goes on in their life.

sahlberg

Gold Member
Oct 27, 2017
Moore Park Beach
Yep. EU is just trash.
Fuck the EU.
The way they have continuously humiliated and threatened the uk since day one. Only a cuck would want to continue this abusive relationship.

We Aussies are ready to ship you as much produce you need, on a moments notice.
We welcome a trade agreement with you, to bring you back to the commonwealth.

How much produce do you need and when do you need it?. It will be higher quality than the Irish meat and it will be cheaper.
Come back to the commonwealth. You have more in common with us than the tyrants on the continent.

Last edited:

Hissing Sid

Feb 19, 2015
i dont care about all this brexit bullshit. but i cant fucking stand the name brexit. whats with fucking english people and making the worst fucking nicknames for every single goddamn thing that goes on in their life.
It’s due to so many whinging, miserable people being crammed together on a shitty little grey rock in the middle of the sea.

Acts like a mental pressure cooker. Does things to the national psyche that eventually results in weird behaviour like constantly spying on each other and using anti-terror laws to make sure parents aren’t lying in order to get their kids into a school of their choice. We just luuuuurve perving on one another over here. The Brit establishment basically sees the internet as an evolution of the net curtain.

Fucking with words and being as obnoxious as possible about it is just another GB loony bin pastime.

Take the weather for instance. Can’t really fuck with weather reports can you? I mean, it’s weather. You have rain, wind, sunshine, sleet and snow right? Boring right?

Well....

One year all you heard about in the weather forecasts were ‘cold snaps’. Every bit of cold weather was referred to as a ‘cold snap’, no matter the actual conditions. Slight drop in temperature? ‘Cold snap’ Prolonged freeze? ‘Cold snap’. Blizzard? ‘Cold snap’. Someone at the BBC left the fridge open? ‘Cold snap’. On and on and on and on. Boring.

Then there was the year we had the terrible ‘Thunder snow’. No one dare go outdoors in case they got their ear drums burst from the terrible ‘Thunder snow’. Plus ‘Thunder snow’, was always imminent. Open the newspaper? ‘Thunder Snow is coming! Quick, hide!’. Turn on the telly? ‘IMMINENT THUNDER SNOW!!!’

Yeah that was a good un. Gave me a chuckle. Well, the first half a dozen times it was mentioned.

Then there was ‘Weather bomb’.

Then ‘Icequake’.

‘Firenado’.

‘Icenado’.

Like fucking Pokemon.

Yup. No nation on earth is quite as fucked up as good old Blighty.

We’re not healthy or good for you so just ignore us. Everybody else does. Or tries to anyway.

Last edited:

1.21Gigawatts

can't help talking about pedophiles
Nov 24, 2012
munich
no idea what is going on actually. does anyone actually have a clue to this?
2 Years ago Brits voted for Brexit. Believing that Brexit means keeping all the nice things about the EU while getting rid of all the responsibilities.
Experts told them that this is not possible, but people chose to believe demagogues instead.
After the vote the UK struggled for 2 years to make Brexit happen with the least amount of damage to the UK possible. Turns out: The damage will be massive no matter what kind of Brexit and there won't be any positives to even remotely make up for it.

So now the 2 years are over and the UK still doesn't know what kind of Brexit it wants, because every single option is horrible. So every option is voted down.
Unfortunately for everybody, neither the Tories nor the Labor party have the guts to come forward and say that Brexit just was a very dumb idea, that people who voted for it fell for a lie and a bunch of nationalist romanticism and whatever they imagined Brexit to be was never a possible option. A second referendum with clear options and clear communication about what these options would mean.
Its a tremendous demonstration of incompetence, not only by the UKs political elite, but also by the electorate.

NickFire

Mar 12, 2014
2 Years ago Brits voted for Brexit. Believing that Brexit means keeping all the nice things about the EU while getting rid of all the responsibilities.
Experts told them that this is not possible, but people chose to believe demagogues instead.
After the vote the UK struggled for 2 years to make Brexit happen with the least amount of damage to the UK possible. Turns out: The damage will be massive no matter what kind of Brexit and there won't be any positives to even remotely make up for it.

So now the 2 years are over and the UK still doesn't know what kind of Brexit it wants, because every single option is horrible. So every option is voted down.
Unfortunately for everybody, neither the Tories nor the Labor party have the guts to come forward and say that Brexit just was a very dumb idea, that people who voted for it fell for a lie and a bunch of nationalist romanticism and whatever they imagined Brexit to be was never a possible option. A second referendum with clear options and clear communication about what these options would mean.
Its a tremendous demonstration of incompetence, not only by the UKs political elite, but also by the electorate.
What's with the propaganda? How do you know that the people who voted to leave, did not just say to themselves I don't care about the possible doom and gloom, and simply want my nation's sovereignty back?

Makariel

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2018
What's with the propaganda? How do you know that the people who voted to leave, did not just say to themselves I don't care about the possible doom and gloom, and simply want my nation's sovereignty back?
There were many reasons to vote for Brexit, this being one of them. There were many reasons vote against Brexit, among them the realisation that you can't have your cake and eat it too.

Alx

Jan 22, 2007
What's with the propaganda?
There's no propaganda in what he says, he's just stating facts. After 2 years of negotiation, the UK is free to choose among three possibilities : leaving with the negotiated deal, leaving without a deal, or not leaving. And as it is now, none of those options could get a majority in the parliament. So it's a lose-lose-lose situation.

Oct 26, 2018
There's no propaganda in what he says, he's just stating facts. After 2 years of negotiation, the UK is free to choose among three possibilities : leaving with the negotiated deal, leaving without a deal, or not leaving. And as it is now, none of those options could get a majority in the parliament. So it's a lose-lose-lose situation.
Who knows what the final outcome will be, but one thing's for sure. Since Brexit was announced years ago, the UK markets and currency have sunk. So the markets don't like it. And some companies bailing ship don't like the uncertainty...... or they already know whatever deal is done it likely won't be a great deal anyway.

But if a great deal can be secured, UK markets will rebound.

1.21Gigawatts

can't help talking about pedophiles
Nov 24, 2012
munich
If people had known about the possible outcomes, they wouldn't have given a single fuck about sovereignty, whatever it may have meant to them.
This ominous concept of sovereignty was part of the propaganda and demagoguery that infected peoples minds. Reflected by slogans like "taking back control", as if deliberately hurting ones own country and people would resemble rational and independent choice even in the slightest.

People voted for something that didn't exist. The politicians who advocated for it fucked off as soon as it would've been time for them to step up and present a plan, and the remaining politicians shoved their heads far up their own asses. Endlessly touting demented nonsense like "Brexit means Brexit" while being fully aware that they have not the slightest idea what Brexit is supposed to look like.

Given the scale of the ignorance and incompetence at play here and how many people are still not seeing how and why this is so stupid, I think it will be actually a healthy process for the UK to suffer the consequences. I obviously feel bad for the Remain voters who'll suffer, but for everyone else it can be a good lesson to see how ones own political action can quickly result in massive harm to oneself and others, especially when you start listening to right wing airheads.
It is very important that the British electorate realizes that it only has itself to blame for the problems that are coming their way.

llien

Gold Member
Feb 1, 2017
Some certainly didn't. But many did buy major lies, e.g. about NHS funding, apparently.

If that type of communication would happen at a shop, you'd have rights for a refund.
In case politicians do it, it's merely "oh, well, shit happens".

rivv3r

Banned
Feb 24, 2019
People voted Brexit because they wanted control of their own country. Full stop. The left did what they always do, "RACIST! NAZI! WHITE SUPREMACIST!"

HeebieJeebies

Jan 16, 2014
Manchester
steamcommunity.com
Heard a couple of pensioners moaning about Brexit and how democracy has fallen apart. Baby, if this was a democratic process the vote would have been:

-Remain.
-Leave, option A
-Leave, option B
-Leave, option C
etc etc

As it is, the government underestimated the process and the ramifications of the referendum result, and so we find ourselves in the current situation. Anything but a people's vote at this point is going to be pure fuckery.

Dev1lXYZ

Sep 1, 2017
Britain should just become the 51st state of the USA. They would be better off in the long run and have much better leadership. Their economy would be bolstered by the dollar as well. It's been time for this for a long time.

Weilthain

Aug 6, 2013
Kinda sick of the media over here telling us that everyone actually wants to stay in the EU and that everyone was just too stupid/misinformed to have made a proper decision when they voted.

I voted to stay, but would probably vote leave now if there was another vote. They are definitly doing "remainers are the good, just, honest people and are correct, while leavers are racist, stupid idiots who don't even know why they voted leave." mind games with the public.

jufonuk

Jan 1, 2009
London UK and France
Britain should just become the 51st state of the USA. They would be better off in the long run and have much better leadership. Their economy would be bolstered by the dollar as well. It's been time for this for a long time.
I like having free health treatment and more than 12 days holiday a year and no made additives in my food so no. America should admit it was wrong about the tea thing and just come back to us. I said good day to you sir. Pip pip

Last edited:

Yoshi

May 4, 2005
Germany
www.gaming-universe.de
Kinda sick of the media over here telling us that everyone actually wants to stay in the EU and that everyone was just too stupid/misinformed to have made a proper decision when they voted.

I voted to stay, but would probably vote leave now if there was another vote. They are definitly doing "remainers are the good, just, honest people and are correct, while leavers are racist, stupid idiots who don't even know why they voted leave." mind games with the public.
Admit it you are just hot for @sahlberg's meat. Unfortunately, he is also using false advertisement wrt the price.

Last edited:

Kadayi

Probable Replicant
Oct 10, 2012
theconclave.net

That's been going on for the last two years tbh. I voted remain, but I really dislike how it seems that the MPs seem to be trying to wheedle matters until they can score enough support for a re-roll referendum. The idea that we're going to have another year of this BS because apparently neither of the parties or their leadership could organise a piss-up in a brewery is ridiculous. Like it or not, the vote was to leave.

Last edited:

Alx

Jan 22, 2007
As it is, the government underestimated the process and the ramifications of the referendum result, and so we find ourselves in the current situation. Anything but a people's vote at this point is going to be pure fuckery.
Indeed. Honestly I don't understand why they didn't go the most obvious way :
Step 1. Brexit referendum : Remain or Leave ? ( leave wins )
Step 2. Negotiations with EU27 for the exit deal (2 years)
Step 3. Second referendum : deal or no deal ?

I mean I'd rather the UK had voted to remain, but in the end the people decided (even if the whole campaign was poorly planned and discussed), and if they take the responsibility for leaving, they should also take it for the kind of Brexit they want.

Last edited:

Yoshi

May 4, 2005
Germany
www.gaming-universe.de
you're going to have to fill me in on that, no idea what you are talking about
Fuck the EU.
The way they have continuously humiliated and threatened the uk since day one. Only a cuck would want to continue this abusive relationship.

We Aussies are ready to ship you as much produce you need, on a moments notice.
We welcome a trade agreement with you, to bring you back to the commonwealth.

How much produce do you need and when do you need it?. It will be higher quality than the Irish meat and it will be cheaper.
Come back to the commonwealth. You have more in common with us than the tyrants on the continent.
And that wasn't the first time he was promising the better Australian meat shipped to UK for less money (!) than from Ireland.

DrAspirino

Neo Member
Nov 19, 2018
Chile
Just to add to the discussion: there may be food shortages if there's a no-deal brexit.

https://www.countryfile.com/news/can-the-uk-feed-itself-after-brexit/
The UK grows 61% of the food it eats, according to the National Farming Union (NFU),Tim Lang, Professor of Food Policy at City, University of London, and DEFRA’s Agriculture in the UK paper (July 2017). Government sources sometimes quote a figure of 75% but this excludes ‘non-indigenous’ items such as exotic fruit – bananas and mangoes, tea, coffee and spices – foods that cannot be grown (either at all or on a meaningful scale) in the UK.

https://edition.cnn.com/2019/01/25/uk/brexit-food-shortages-gbr-intl/index.html
The UK is only 60% self-sufficient when it comes to food, according to government figures, and 70% of its food imports come from the EU.
That's led companies like Premier Foods, a major British food manufacturer that makes everything from custard to stock cubes, to increase supplies of ingredients, according to Reuters. Two of Britain's biggest supermarket chains, Tesco and Marks & Spencer, have also announced that they are also boosting stockholdings of non-perishable foods.
So...prepare for stockpiling, ukgaf.

Last edited:

sahlberg

Gold Member
Oct 27, 2017
Moore Park Beach
And that wasn't the first time he was promising the better Australian meat shipped to UK for less money (!) than from Ireland.
Do you doubt that Aus and Brazil can produce better meat at lower cost?

We don't have agro/beef goverment subsidies so the farms need to be efficient or they will shutdown.
No artificial crutches to support a non-competitive industry.

I will say it again. Aus and several countries in south america can produce food of higher quality and at lower cost than the EU can.
That is the whole reason EU has import tariffs on produce. To protect an inefficient domestic industry,

If EU/Irish produce was so good and affordable. Why do you need to protect it against imports from other nations?

Yoshi

May 4, 2005
Germany
www.gaming-universe.de
Do you doubt that Aus and Brazil can produce better meat at lower cost?

We don't have agro/beef goverment subsidies so the farms need to be efficient or they will shutdown.
No artificial crutches to support a non-competitive industry.

I will say it again. Aus and several countries in south america can produce food of higher quality and at lower cost than the EU can.
That is the whole reason EU has import tariffs on produce. To protect an inefficient domestic industry,

If EU/Irish produce was so good and affordable. Why do you need to protect it against imports from other nations?
Brazil is a different matter, because of wages. Australia is a high-wage country as well. Having no subsidies is driving price additionally. Between quality, price, working conditions, animal well-being and profits, something has to give to account in particular for the export cost. And seeing your marketing here - it is not profits ;).

sahlberg

Gold Member
Oct 27, 2017
Moore Park Beach
Brazil is a different matter, because of wages. Australia is a high-wage country as well. Having no subsidies is driving price additionally. Between quality, price, working conditions, animal well-being and profits, something has to give to account in particular for the export cost. And seeing your marketing here - it is not profits ;).
What is wrong with australian produce then and why does UK need an import tariff on it so it can rather import Irish produce?
UK crashes out of EU and will get higher quality food for a lower price without the tariffs. What is not to like?

Or is EU food superior in price and quality and that is why they need tariffs to artificially make food from outside the EU less competitive and more expensive?

Your argument is not internally consistent. Either EU produce is superior and the tariffs are not needed. Or EU produce is inferior and tariffs are used to disadvantage external quality produce.
"sure it is better, but it is a lot more expensive".

Yoshi

May 4, 2005
Germany
www.gaming-universe.de
What is wrong with australian produce then and why does UK need an import tariff on it so it can rather import Irish produce?
UK crashes out of EU and will get higher quality food for a lower price without the tariffs. What is not to like?

Or is EU food superior in price and quality and that is why they need tariffs to artificially make food from outside the EU less competitive and more expensive?

Your argument is not internally consistent. Either EU produce is superior and the tariffs are not needed. Or EU produce is inferior and tariffs are used to disadvantage external quality produce.
"sure it is better, but it is a lot more expensive".
Argentinia and Brasil are the countries that offer better meat at lower prices, even considering the cost of import, not Australia.

Jan 25, 2018
Southeastern USA
It’s due to so many whinging, miserable people being crammed together on a shitty little grey rock in the middle of the sea.

Acts like a mental pressure cooker. Does things to the national psyche that eventually results in weird behaviour like constantly spying on each other and using anti-terror laws to make sure parents aren’t lying in order to get their kids into a school of their choice. We just luuuuurve perving on one another over here. The Brit establishment basically sees the internet as an evolution of the net curtain.

Fucking with words and being as obnoxious as possible about it is just another GB loony bin pastime.

Take the weather for instance. Can’t really fuck with weather reports can you? I mean, it’s weather. You have rain, wind, sunshine, sleet and snow right? Boring right?

Well....

One year all you heard about in the weather forecasts were ‘cold snaps’. Every bit of cold weather was referred to as a ‘cold snap’, no matter the actual conditions. Slight drop in temperature? ‘Cold snap’ Prolonged freeze? ‘Cold snap’. Blizzard? ‘Cold snap’. Someone at the BBC left the fridge open? ‘Cold snap’. On and on and on and on. Boring.

Then there was the year we had the terrible ‘Thunder snow’. No one dare go outdoors in case they got their ear drums burst from the terrible ‘Thunder snow’. Plus ‘Thunder snow’, was always imminent. Open the newspaper? ‘Thunder Snow is coming! Quick, hide!’. Turn on the telly? ‘IMMINENT THUNDER SNOW!!!’

Yeah that was a good un. Gave me a chuckle. Well, the first half a dozen times it was mentioned.

Then there was ‘Weather bomb’.

Then ‘Icequake’.

‘Firenado’.

‘Icenado’.

Like fucking Pokemon.

Yup. No nation on earth is quite as fucked up as good old Blighty.

We’re not healthy or good for you so just ignore us. Everybody else does. Or tries to anyway.
As a Yank, I always thought you guys were cool, I'm sorry you've been having so much trouble lately.

Jmarshall

Mar 28, 2018
Indeed. Honestly I don't understand why they didn't go the most obvious way :
Step 1. Brexit referendum : Remain or Leave ? ( leave wins )
Step 2. Negotiations with EU27 for the exit deal (2 years)
Step 3. Second referendum : deal or no deal ?

I mean I'd rather the UK had voted to remain, but in the end the people decided (even if the whole campaign was poorly planned and discussed), and if they take the responsibility for leaving, they should also take it for the kind of Brexit they want.
Because that's the worst negotiation strategy I've ever heard of. Why on earth would the EU negotiate anything favourable when they know there will be a review of the deal, and that's without even allowing for the fact that the EU has steadfastly refused to negotiate any type of trade deal prior to us leaving , what's on the table right now is a deal for a two year period in which we have SM access when we're out the EU, while negotiating the deal.

Again your final paragraph gives the game away, you want a strategy that forces a Remain victory, like all those supposed supporting a second referendum.

Jmarshall

Mar 28, 2018
People voted Brexit because they wanted control of their own country. Full stop. The left did what they always do, "RACIST! NAZI! WHITE SUPREMACIST!"
Let's look at this clip from C4 news last night on of the major UK channels with its main anchor Jon Snow.

"he's never see so many white people in one place before"

I would say the following, firstly he grew up where I live, so he has. Secondly it's a coded message for "I've never seen so many racists in one place before" this is the position of the entire British establishment, that the Leave vote was nothing but fools and bigots. There has been a whole process of attempts to deligitamise voters in this nation because they voted against the will of the Establishment, it's been abhorrent.

Alx

Jan 22, 2007
Because that's the worst negotiation strategy I've ever heard of. Why on earth would the EU negotiate anything favourable when they know there will be a review of the deal, and that's without even allowing for the fact that the EU has steadfastly refused to negotiate any type of trade deal prior to us leaving , what's on the table right now is a deal for a two year period in which we have SM access when we're out the EU, while negotiating the deal.

Again your final paragraph gives the game away, you want a strategy that forces a Remain victory, like all those supposed supporting a second referendum.
You got a point with the bad negotiation strategy. The last vote doesn't have to be a pre-established condition, but in the current situation (Parliament voting against remain, against deal and against no deal) it's the only rational way out. Anyway whatever the strategy, the EU would always have the upper hand in the negotiation, not only because of the unbalance of powers, but because UK started the discussion with "we're leaving whatever you say, now let's see what you can give us...".
And even if I think Brexit in a bad idea, I have no wish for any shenanigan to cancel it. As a matter of fact the day after the referendum I was saying "that's too bad, but if you wanna leave, then leave. Why don't you trigger article 50 right now and start building your new economic model asap ?" (but that was before I realized the UK wasn't ready and had no plan for its post-Brexit status). And you'd have noticed that the third step mentioned above doesn't offer any possibility of remaining, taking the "leave" decision for granted because of the result of the first step.

Last edited:

hariseldon

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
Doesn't mean we will get an extension though... I get the distinct impression that European leaders are sick of our shit.
The vote is effectively forcing TM to do what she was going to do anyway. And yes you're right - but even if they weren't, I suspect that the extension hinges on having a plan, which seems an unlikely occurrence. Failing that, the EU will probably demand a referendum or an election. The latter will be deemed unacceptable, a foreign power interfering in domestic affairs in the way the EU has in Greece and Italy, while the former, imposed from the EU, would enrage a hell of a lot of people too. Tbh I think it's going to go no deal but we'll see what happens.

Yoshi

May 4, 2005
Germany
www.gaming-universe.de
The vote is effectively forcing TM to do what she was going to do anyway. And yes you're right - but even if they weren't, I suspect that the extension hinges on having a plan, which seems an unlikely occurrence. Failing that, the EU will probably demand a referendum or an election. The latter will be deemed unacceptable, a foreign power interfering in domestic affairs in the way the EU has in Greece and Italy, while the former, imposed from the EU, would enrage a hell of a lot of people too. Tbh I think it's going to go no deal but we'll see what happens.
Which is why the EU will demand neither. They will demand a clear plan ahead. That the only clear plans ahead are a compromise with Labour, new elections or new referendum (and at that point of time option 1 may already have failed) is another thing, but they will not say "do an election, a new referendum or no extension". They are not stupid and have demonstrated this lack of stupidity in the last steps already.

llien

Gold Member
Feb 1, 2017
a foreign power interfering in domestic affairs in the way the EU has in Greece and Italy,
I doubt EU would demand either, but when did EU force elections either in Greece or in Italy?
Interfering into ways country, that is about to borrow dozens of billions of Euro's, spends them, is quite reasonable.

dionysus

Yaldog
May 12, 2007
Texaa
The remainers claim the leavers use propaganda and lies and then say that the UK is going to starve if it leaves the EU in a no deal situation.... There are a whole boatload of countries that can supply the UK with all the food it needs. Many of them use to have free trade agreements with the UK.

As an outsider it appears that the May government never seriously tried to do a real exit. They tried to negotiate the softest of soft exits, but parliament will not support that. Here is why I feel that way:
  • Crashing out of the EU in a no-deal Brexit is the best negotiating leverage the UK has with the EU. It harms the EU just as much as the UK, though the costs will be dispersed over multiple economies. May's government took that off the table before even talking with the EU negotiators.
  • The efforts to negotiate trade deals as an independent entity have been half-hearted or non-existent at best. Where is the deal with the US, or the commonwealth states? Most of these negotiations are going to start after Brexit, which to me implies they never really expected to be free of the EU trade union. Trade deals often take years.
  • They didn't leverage their global leadership in finance and banking. Instead, it was all doom and gloom about how London was going to lose its position as a financial capital. The truth of the matter is that UK banks are much stronger than EU banks, and EU banks need London more than UK banks need the EU. DB by itself could cause another Great Recession in Europe and its books are in terrible shape.

llien

Gold Member
Feb 1, 2017
There are a whole boatload of countries that can supply the UK with all the food it needs
Man, that's FUD.
Shortages would happen because of the chaos at yet to be created customs, not because evil EU will stop selling products.

They didn't leverage their global leadership in finance and banking. Instead, it was all doom and gloom about how London was going to lose its position as a financial capital.
Google just informed me I'd be charged by Irish institution from now on, so, surely there is an impact.

Also imagine how bad things are for transnational companies like Ford, which had one a bunch of factories spread out through entire EU, how terrible will the logistics to and from UK factories (that not only export parts but need to import parts too) will be.

Crashing out of the EU in a no-deal Brexit is the best negotiating leverage the UK has with the EU. It harms the EU just as much as the UK, though the costs will be dispersed over multiple economies.
What could EU cede which they already didn't?
Conditions better than full mebmership? That's suicide.

Last edited:

dionysus

Yaldog
May 12, 2007
Texaa
Man, that's FUD.
Shortages would happen because of the chaos at yet to be created customs, not because evil EU will stop selling products.

Google just informed me I'd be charged by Irish institution from now on, so, surely there is an impact.

Also imagine how bad things are for transnational companies like Ford, which had one a bunch of factories spread out through entire EU, how terrible will the logistics to and from UK factories (that not only export parts but need to import parts too) will be.

What could EU cede which they already didn't?
Conditions better than full mebmership? That's suicide.
You think the UK government wouldn't just waive customs if people were literally going to starve to death because there was no procedure on how to process the containers at port? But you bring up a good point that mirrors one of my points, obviously the UK government never though no deal Brexit was going to happen and didn't take it seriously because they are completely unprepared for customs sovereignty. On this I agree, the UK is completely unprepared to manage its own border and trade. But they had how many years to work on that and they did nothing?

Yea, there would be short term negative financial impacts for all parties involved. I never claimed otherwise. I am just saying a bank like DB or Commerzbank is less likely to survive short term upsets because of their shit balance sheet compared to Barclays.

On the transnational company thing. Again, I agree the UK appears to be completely unprepared for sovereignty on trade. But, there would be an easy short term solution: a free trade grace period until they can actually take the business of governing seriously.

Mar 28, 2017
Sheffield, UK
mixer.com
Our politicians are self serving interest little shits. I live in a town that was in favour of voting leave but yet the twat MP Ed Milliband voted for Common Market 2.0, No deal ban and revoking article 50.

I really hope he does not get elected next time.

/rant

llien

Gold Member
Feb 1, 2017
You think the UK government wouldn't just waive customs if people were literally going to starve to death...
Who has ever brought up the "starve to death" argument?
UK's agriculture covers 60% of UK needs, mind you, entire world can take off and fly to Mars, UK still won't starve to death.

But you bring up a good point that mirrors one of my points, obviously the UK government never though no deal Brexit was going to happen and didn't take it seriously because they are completely unprepared for customs sovereignty.
About a year ago May was stating that "hard brexit" was very likely, asking business to prepare etc etc, in an obvious attempt to put pressure on EU negotiators (who are rather skilled motherfuckers, next ho whom Game Theory proff from Greece looks like a kid, remember grexit?)

But if "customs sovereignty" means damaging UK economy, which majority of economists predict it would, what would you expect your Prime Minister to do? Focus on "but EU will be harmed too" and enjoy the consequences?

Besides that, UK parliament is a rather peculiar place, with actual number of independently acting parties being much higher than officially registered.

I am just saying a bank like DB or Commerzbank is less likely to survive short term upsets because of their shit balance sheet compared to Barclays.
Both DB (which is bigger than Barclays) and Commerzbank (which is 3 times smaller, but still a monster) are too big for any government to just let hem crash. But I don't get what they have to do with brexit.

autoduelist

Aug 30, 2014
if your argument rests on completely misportraying the desires and opinions of your opposition, then you are being disingenuous. Plenty of people, if not all, knew full well leaving would have costs, but valued their national sovereignty more.

Last edited: