• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Brian Mulroney calls for bold social changes to prepare Canada for a world after COVID-19

cryptoadam

... and he cannot lie
Feb 21, 2018

One idea that he says would generate economic growth and enhance Canada’s influence in the world is to double the country’s population to 75 million.

“Immigration creates a great dynamism and effectiveness in the economy that generates new prosperity. The immigration communities in Canada are highly productive and great job creators and law-respecting citizens in the best sense of those words,” Mr. Mulroney said.
This guy was a "conservative" LOL.

WTH we don't need to double our population, and we surely as hell don't need to bring in more immigrants to do so. If you want more people then lets have more babies and stop pushing nonsense like non binary and trans and aborotions like candy.

Yes what we really need is more people who have no sense of being Canadian, while being taught that Canada is evil shitty place and our history is evil and racist.

And I wonder if these immigrants will be from Europe or maybe Russia or Israel?How about Philipines or Korea? Ya I doubt thats what he means by more immigrants.

I do think he is onto something about native rights. Wants to push UBI for poor Canadians and throws a dig at Trump basically suggesting Canada go at it on its own with free trade.

Oh well I guess after you 2 kids got cucked your gonna throw your hat in the ring too.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Apr 18, 2018
USA
dunpachi.com
Canada is headed toward a 2+ decade recession and yet they want to double the population by adding in people from other cultures.

Sounds like the scrawled plan for a homemade bomb if I ever saw one.

Reactions: cryptoadam

cryptoadam

... and he cannot lie
Feb 21, 2018
This will leak to the US.

They always say oh we want Canadian health care.

Now they will say oh look at Canada immigration, we need to double the US population lets bring in 350 million immigrants.

• Triggered
Reactions: EHuntingon

infinitys_7th

Gold Member
Oct 1, 2006
So what city is going to be beautiful Canuck Malmo in 15 years?

Hell, we know Biden, and Republicans, will gladly do the same thing in the US. Hope they take San Fransicko first.

epicnemesis

May 9, 2008
I always thought Canada had like 100 million people. Under 40 million for the land mass it takes up leaves a lot of space for the caribou I guess.

I think immigration is a great thing when done correctly. When you bet people and bring in those with entrepreneurial drive and a desire to assimilate.

Immigration for immigration’s sake is where you run into problems. You end up bringing in people like Ilhan Omar (refugee, but still) who then come in and try fundamentally change the great country that welcomed them.

Under 40 million for the land mass it takes up leaves a lot of space for the caribou I guess
Lots of land mass but little livable area unless you like whale blubber or living like the unibomber.
I don't know the numbers but I suspect > 80% of new immigrants move to Toronto and Montreal, though our retarded gov't is:
1) trying to 'encourage' people to move to rural areas
2) in the process of #1 ensuring that traditionally conservative views are overridden by said newcomers who typically vote leftist.

JordanN

Apr 21, 2012
Brampton, Ontario
What would Canada even look like with double the population? What kind of culture would it have?
95% of them would all go to Toronto.

Every house would cost $50 million dollars (while there are Condos right outside that sit empty. Thanks foreign buyers!)

With a shitty transit system that is packed to the gills. And your wages would be cut in half.

It's absolutely terror. No one in our government is actually trying to grow the rural areas. It's just jam people into the big 3 cities and that's it.

The fundamental idea of immigration has always been about screwing people who already lived here. For all those who think it makes culture better, ask what is the status of the Native Indians? Do you really believe we're all speaking an Indian language or a European one?

Last edited:

cryptoadam

... and he cannot lie
Feb 21, 2018
Look if he wants to bring in Filipinos be my guest. Best people out there, work their ass off, are all about family and relegion, and they integrate into being Canadians even if they still keep some of their Pinay/Pinoy self. But I doubt thats what he meant.

Yoda

Jun 17, 2011
Canada already has rather permissive immigration and it's lagged behind countries which aren't as permissive, its neighbor, the US for example. I don't think Canada's economy is suffering from a labor problem.

Yoda

Jun 17, 2011
you talking pre or post COVID?
It doesn't matter. (warning: oversimplification) The neo-liberal argument for immigration applies in either context: increase supply to put downward pressure on wages -> allows more entrepreneurs to into the market -> more firms -> more economic activity. This generally doesn't happen, usually immigration benefits large firms like multinationals and the wage savings gets pumped into the stock market, which doesn't benefit ordinary people aside from small gains in their retirement accounts.

Yoda

Jun 17, 2011
I guess my point is that there is a ton of excess labor in Canada due to COVID, bringing in more people just exasperates the problem IMO.
Oh you're dead on the money, but if you make this argument to someone "enlightened" on the subject they'll talk to you like a dog and try "educating you" about how immigration is always a net positive for labor conditions.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: pr0cs
Oh you're dead on the money, but if you make this argument to someone "enlightened" on the subject they'll talk to you like a dog and try "educating you" about how immigration is always a net positive for labor conditions.
Oh I know. I have 'acquaintances' online that have drank the koolaid, they're nearly unbearable now.
It doesn't matter what western country you live in, we're all bombarded by media bullshit now.

cryptoadam

... and he cannot lie
Feb 21, 2018
If immigration is so good economically why not promote it in Africa and other poor countries?

I suggest we flood Africa with immigrants, that will surely cause their economies to sky rocket.

Canada/USA are evil racist hell holes anyways where blacks and POCs are hunted for sport and can be murdered for stepping out of their house. Just like those Syrian refugees fleeing a war zone, maybe some citizens can flee the nazi warzone that is Canda and USA and go to syria or Africa and send their economies sky rocketing.

We always hear how evil the west was for imperialism and wars in the middle east, so its the least we can do to make those countries into economic super powers.

Reactions: Honjo and Durask