• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Brie Larson Isn’t Letting Her ‘Captain Marvel’ Press Tour Be ‘Overwhelmingly’ White and Male

lock2k

Banned
As I see it, it was just a writer playing with words to create a catchy message. A Hero To Womankind = A Hero To All Women. That's it. It's not more offensive than any metaphor that could have taken its place. It's just creative word play.

Language is about communication, and the writer clearly wanted to convey a specific message to a specific gender. Replacing "womankind" with "man/ humankind" in that context wouldn't have worked out, as it would completely change the message.

I can understand the concern that it's a potentially problematic and dumb word, but not in this context, where it works.

Hell is full of good intentions ;)

Kamina

Golden Boy
As I see it, it was just a writer playing with words to create a catchy message. A Hero To Womankind = A Hero To All Women. That's it. It's not more offensive than any metaphor that could have taken its place. It's just creative word play.
Womankind ill needs a savior such as her!

Fnord

If she is so concerned about representaion.
Why then did she agree to whitewash this traditionally BLACK superhero and recast her as a blonde white woman?
Does not compute.

THANK YOU! The black, female Captain Marvel is a significantly better character, too.

Verdanth

Judging by today's standards I would not be surprised to see her character having a female love interest in the movie.

Last edited:
Maybe because not that many black people go for a movie critic job? Why does everything have to be equal. Thats like me bitching why there are so little white rappers or how about why are there mostly black people at rap concerts. How fucking dare they, lets riot!

Grinchy

Banned
Maybe because not that many black people go for a movie critic job? Why does everything have to be equal. Thats like me bitching why there are so little white rappers or how about why are there mostly black people at rap concerts. How fucking dare they, lets riot!
It's like how nobody is arguing for more "diversity" in fields dominated by women. When it's all women, that's a good thing. When it's all men, it's because they're keeping women out....you know, unless we're talking about dirty or dangerous jobs. Then it's ok that it's all men.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
It's like how nobody is arguing for more "diversity" in fields dominated by women. When it's all women, that's a good thing. When it's all men, it's because they're keeping women out....you know, unless we're talking about dirty or dangerous jobs. Then it's ok that it's all men.

I've argued it a lot actually, in teaching especially. Lack of males in teaching does actual harm unlike a lack of black female celebrity interviewers.

now youre just being disingenuous. go to any skinny jean rap concert it is 99 percent white college students and you know it

MilkyJoe

The presentation may be new, but its still the old "whites know best" thinking. They are just too self centered to realize it.

It's whites behind the twitter accounts raging over Halloween Costumes. It was whites behind accounts here raging about issues involving People of Color.

But it's still the superior white thinking of old.
I want this on every billboard in the wester world so these people know everyone knows the truth.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
You forgot to say sexist.
Here's one
oh bullshit.

All color of celebrities use their money and fame to make ‘a difference’ for things they care about.

How did this become about race and not representation in general. You forgot to call the celebrity sexist.

Only people raging about white males not getting a fair deal are incel losers. I work in IT and the sooner the places I work aren’t entirely a white sausage factory, the better. Balance isn’t bad and attempting to address imbalance while probably unrealistic in the context of comic book movies isn’t ‘evil’.

This is basically just a celebrity pushing affirmative action, which freaking out about is just a weird thing to wring your hands over.

Last edited by a moderator:

RedVIper

Banned

oh bullshit.

All color of celebrities use their money and fame to make ‘a difference’ for things they care about.

How did this become about race and not representation in general. You forgot to call the celebrity sexist.

Only people raging about white males not getting a fair deal are incel losers. I work in IT and the sooner the places I work aren’t entirely a white sausage factory, the better. Balance isn’t bad and attempting to address imbalance while probably unrealistic in the context of comic book movies isn’t ‘evil’.

This is basically just a celebrity pushing affirmative action, which freaking out about is just a weird thing to wring your hands over.

So you're just a sexist and a racist, you don't like to work with withe guys for some reason.
It's evil to descriminate, if the only way to achieve that "balance" is trough descrimination than maybe it's not really something people want, let people make their choices and if black people aren't going to reporter jobs who gives a fuck. If woman don't want to go to IT, who cares, this social engineering that some of you seems to want it's fucking annoying.

Last edited:

Barnabot

oh bullshit.

Why are you so annoyed by white people in your IT workplace?

MilkyJoe

oh bullshit.

See

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Why are you so annoyed by white people in your IT workplace?
I swear some of you can’t read. I’m not, but it’s overwhelming dominated in that way which is boring and imbalanced.

There are arguments to be made that the imbalance is due to unfair advantages, whether in the past or now.i don’t find attempts to correct that situation scary or unfair, nor do I believe that white dudes like me are being relegated to an underclass. because I’m not a whining fuck and I’m confident of my worth.

Barnabot

I swear some of you can’t read. I’m not, but it’s overwhelming dominated in that way which is boring and imbalanced.

There are arguments to be made that the imbalance is due to unfair advantages, whether in the past or now.i don’t find attempts to correct that situation scary or unfair, nor do I believe that white dudes like me are being relegated to an underclass. because I’m not a whining fuck and I’m confident of my worth.

You just said with your own words (not anyone else's ) "I work in IT and the sooner the places I work aren’t entirely a white sausage factory, the better. ". To achieve that you need to get those "white people" fired it n your workplace and replace them with more diversity for that sake of having more diversity. So again "Why are you so annoyed by white people in your IT workplace?" or even better "Why are you so annoyed by having white people in your IT workplace? ".

EDIT: grammar

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
You just said with your own words (not anyone else's ) "I work in IT and the sooner the places I work aren’t entirely a white sausage factory, the better. ". To achieve that you need to get fired those "white people" in your workplace and replace them with more diversity for that sake of having more diversity. So again "Why are you so annoyed by white people in your IT workplace?" or even better "Why are you so annoyed by having white people in your IT workplace? ".
I didn’t say fire anybody. Workplaces have natural turnover and more diversity would improve my working environment because more diversity is a more interesting experience.

I’m not from the US though and our org is consciously becoming more diverse, which is already improving things.

RedVIper

Banned
I didn’t say fire anybody. Workplaces have natural turnover and more diversity would improve my working environment because more diversity is a more interesting experience.

I’m not from the US though and our org is consciously becoming more diverse, which is already improving things.

You can keep dodging around it all you want, but you're saying you want to work with less white people.

Imagine saying, I'm sick of working with a bunch of girls, I can't wait for them to be replaced by men.

I'm sick of having to work with black people, I can't wait until they're replaced.

highrider

Banned

There are arguments, but they aren’t salient and fall flat in the real world. We know that men and women make different choices and no amount of social engineering is going to make IT or any field an equal representation of the diversity in a given society. If you’re not bothered by open racism towards white males it’s because you don’t identify as one in any meaningful way. White is just something you happen to be.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Selection should be based on merit, not quotas.

Any system that exhibits bias to a applicant due to race, gender, or orientation is just exhibiting the relevant "-ism", and that's not progress. That's just shufflng around the chairs to suit the preferred group du-jour of whoever is making the selection.

Bigotry is never going to be defeated until people stop playing favorites. If anything its just going to escalate it because its just adding MORE DISCRIMINATION based on immutable personal characteristics. There is no upside to it, because when you divide people up like that you are creating a "winners" and "losers" scenario.

No one wants to feel like they lost because they were the wrong sex or color. Its fucking fundamentally offensive.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
You can keep dodging around it all you want, but you're saying you want to work with less white people.

Imagine saying, I'm sick of working with a bunch of girls, I can't wait for them to be replaced by men.

I'm sick of having to work with black people, I can't wait until they're replaced.
That’s a way to look at it I guess. Does it also mean I’m xenophobic against New Zealanders because I left my country to go live in Europe and enjoy it here because it’s more diverse? I guess it does in your mind.

I’m for inclusiveness, promoting initiatives like ‘more women in tech’ but remain skeptical that actual numbers balance is likely.

Having my workplace become more diverse has been great. I haven’t detected others being grumpy about it yet. Pretty weird to see how heated this forum gets about it.

Is this a tactic to compensate for a movie that the studio knows is going to be bad, like Ghost Busters Reboot, or the last Star Wars movie?

Will they now say that any negative reviews are just butt hurt white mails, when in actuality, the movie is middiling to terrible, like Ghost Busters and the Last Star Wars movie?

Guess we will see.

RedVIper

Banned
That’s a way to look at it I guess. Does it also mean I’m xenophobic against New Zealanders because I left my country to go live in Europe and enjoy it here because it’s more diverse? I guess it does in your mind.

I’m for inclusiveness, promoting initiatives like ‘more women in tech’ but remain skeptical that actual numbers balance is likely.

Having my workplace become more diverse has been great. I haven’t detected others being grumpy about it yet. Pretty weird to see how heated this forum gets about it.

No you're no xenophobic because you moved lol. I Mena maybe you are but that's not enough of a reason to call you that.

I'm sure the guys not getting jobs because your company decided to prioritize hiring women are feeling pretty grumpy.

oagboghi2

How exactly is this forum "weird about it." Are people only allowed to think one way?

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
I'm interested in reading a bit more about your thoughts on this.

I have a number of posts in a few different threads, not at a pc this weekend so can't do much right now but they should be easy to find.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member

oh bullshit.

I'm a programmer. I run a small team, I only get applications from men. If it helps, my team is 30% brown. What exactly do you expect me to do? Until women are getting qualified and building portfolios I can't hire any. If I get an applicant and they don't suck I'll hire them. IT is meritocratic in a way no other industry is, because skills are specific, in demand, and hard to find. If you have the skills I'll hire you regardless of whatever other factors exist.

Btw saying anyone who disagrees with you is an incel is hardly a persuasive argument, not intellectually honest.

danielberg

Neophyte
Is this a tactic to compensate for a movie that the studio knows is going to be bad, like Ghost Busters Reboot, or the last Star Wars movie?

Will they now say that any negative reviews are just butt hurt white mails, when in actuality, the movie is middiling to terrible, like Ghost Busters and the Last Star Wars movie?

Guess we will see.

Its a marvel movie it basically cant fail, but yeah her spouting the typical twitter mental diarrhea doesn't exactly make her a PR genius irregardless that the movie cant fail lol

Last edited:
Its a marvel movie it basically cant fail, but yeah her spouting the typical twitter mental diarrhea doesn't exactly make her a PR genius irregardless that the movie cant fail lol
Agreed, it will still do good numbers, may see a drop though, compared to previous marvel movies. The tactic of attacking the fan base to earn good will with people who dont care about your franchise hasn't work yet, but maybe this will be the first?

black_13

Banned
So brave of her! Give her all the prizes.../s

If she really cared she wouldn't feel the need to publicly announce this.

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Fans will quickly turn on something as soon as something they don’t like arises so this doesn’t surprise me.

Dirk Benedict

Gold Member
...but she's totally fine taking the money from their movie tickets.

These people check their privilege while overlooking their hypocrisy.
I don't understand white guilt nor do I want to. The past is the past and if the so-called "progressives" want to move on, we'd do better to erase all color lines, not just the non-white ones.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
At least you're open about supporting racial discrimination if it targets the right group.
I'm a programmer. I run a small team, I only get applications from men. If it helps, my team is 30% brown. What exactly do you expect me to do? Until women are getting qualified and building portfolios I can't hire any. If I get an applicant and they don't suck I'll hire them. IT is meritocratic in a way no other industry is, because skills are specific, in demand, and hard to find. If you have the skills I'll hire you regardless of whatever other factors exist.

Btw saying anyone who disagrees with you is an incel is hardly a persuasive argument, not intellectually honest.
what you say is fair indeed and its what we are seeing as well in terms of ‘cant hire cause there is none’.

We do to things about it
1. Investigate why there is none (are we looking in the right places?)
2. Invest in promoting IT for girls, we run a ‘girls day’ where the girls from local primary schools come and do some fun stuff.

Our company has a bit of money to do this and i get its not practical for a lot of orgs to do things like this, but i also think its worth seeing if it can bear fruit.

Im also not yet sure there are no women in tech because of disadvantages, because i cant remember seeing any in my career (doesnt mean there are none though)

I guess I’ve gotten pretty off the original topic, but you’re right the original incel thing wasn’t fair, I just get irked when people just decide to scream racism without really thinking about her motivations which are pretty obviously more likely to be what she stated than racism.

RedVIper

Banned
2. Invest in promoting IT for girls, we run a ‘girls day’ where the girls from local primary schools come and do some fun stuff.

You don't see how this is extremely unfair for the kids at those primary schools? I'm sure the guys would love to have these opportunities aswell, but they won't because your company decided they don't matter.

This is extremely sexist and I doubt anyone would find it ok if it was the other way around.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
You don't see how this is extremely unfair for the kids at those primary schools? I'm sure the guys would love to have these opportunities aswell, but they won't because your company decided they don't matter.

This is extremely sexist and I doubt anyone would find it ok if it was the other way around.
I live in the Netherlands and we are allowed to try to implement practical solutions to problems to see if they work. (Problem in the sense if trying to figure out the reason for the low uptake for females in IT)

Screaming that it cant be done because its sexist isnt a thing that gets serious consideration and support for the initiative is highly positive.

(Actual hiring is 100% merit based though)

RedVIper

Banned
I live in the Netherlands and we are allowed to try to implement practical solutions to problems to see if they work. (Problem in the sense if trying to figure out the reason for the low uptake for females in IT)

Screaming that it cant be done because its sexist isnt a thing that gets serious consideration and support for the initiative is highly positive.

(Actual hiring is 100% merit based though)

I don't particurly care if you're ok with something being sexist, it's still sexist and it's something me and other people don't like and won't support.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
what you say is fair indeed and its what we are seeing as well in terms of ‘cant hire cause there is none’.

We do to things about it
1. Investigate why there is none (are we looking in the right places?)

Our company has a bit of money to do this and i get its not practical for a lot of orgs to do things like this, but i also think its worth seeing if it can bear fruit.

Im also not yet sure there are no women in tech because of disadvantages, because i cant remember seeing any in my career (doesnt mean there are none though)

I guess I’ve gotten pretty off the original topic, but you’re right the original incel thing wasn’t fair, I just get irked when people just decide to scream racism without really thinking about her motivations which are pretty obviously more likely to be what she stated than racism.

To be honest we don't have enough fat where I am to spend money on that, and honestly it's not our job. Our job is to put excellent software out and make money. In all honesty, not many girls are interested in programming, for whatever reason. Part of it, I suspect, is that not many girls are autistic, and autism is basically a superpower in programming (hi, I'm autistic, nice to meet you).

I would add that actually I'd rather just bring as many kids in from nearbly schools as possible, regardless of gender. There are plenty of people who don't get opportunities, the number of boys vs girls who lack access to development tools, computers and the internet for learning materials is not materially different.

On the racism thing, it's really quite simple. If you would rather have one race interview you than another, or are looking to change the ratios, that's racist. You're making judgements about people based on skin colour, so it's racist. It's that simple. People are more than just the sum of their genitalia and skin colour, and to judge them as such is shallow. Doing so irks people, and understandably they react accordingly.

Btw you have a provocative way with words - in your later post you insist that people are screaming that it can't be done. You could have said it so much more maturely. Your choice of words shows your beliefs here I think.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
I don't particurly care if you're ok with something being sexist, it's still sexist and it's something me and other people don't like and won't support.
Ok, don’t support it then. I like the way you argue btw

‘I don’t care if you love sexism I don’t!’

We clearly disagree on what defines sexism and doesn’t. We both claim to not prompte sexism, we are just disagreeing whether or not presenting opportunities for something within a subset of people that are underrepresented in a field is sexist or not. I don’t think it is. Invisible walls/ceilings are a thing that do exist, finding out where/why if you have the resources to do so isn’t a bad thing in my opinion.

RedVIper

Banned
Ok, don’t support it then. I like the way you argue btw

‘I don’t care if you love sexism I don’t!’

We clearly disagree on what defines sexism and doesn’t. We both claim to not prompte sexism, we are just disagreeing whether or not presenting opportunities for something within a subset of people that are underrepresented in a field is sexist or not. I don’t think it is. Invisible walls/ceilings are a thing that do exist, finding out where/why if you have the resources to do so isn’t a bad thing in my opinion.

Giving opportunities to one gender and excluding the other is very clearly sexism.

"Invisible walls/ceilings are a thing that do exist, finding out where/why if you have the resources to do so isn’t a bad thing in my opinion. "

I agree, but that isn't what you're doing is it? You're complaining about invisible walls/ceilings and instead of trying to fix the one that might exist for women, you create one for men.

Last edited:
H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
IT is one of very few areas out there that anyone can get into with zero dependence on education. All you need is a computer and the internet. You can find millions of free tutorials on any skill you want to learn, code on free dev software and host on GitHub free for people to see your skills. It's an industry desperate for skilled people. If you think there are walls you must be mad. The only wall is the level of effort you're willing to put in, the time you're willing to invest, and I can't say that of any other industry.

fantomena

Can someone tell me why you are so up in the arms about Brie, while people like Chris Evans, Mark Ruffalo and Don Cheadle go untouched? These are literally seconds away from starting political campaigns on Twitter. They are huge anti-Trump folks who Tweets and talks all the time about diversity, how awful Trump is and so on.

Brie Larson is nothing compared to them. Chris Evans slams and attacks Trump weekly and he is pretty far left, like a socialdemocrat.

Quick example on Evans:

Last edited:
H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
How is having a go at Trump relevant to this conversation? This is about sexism and racism, not political affiliation. People can have whatever affiliation they want, that does not itself drive discrimination.

fantomena

How is having a go at Trump relevant to this conversation? This is about sexism and racism, not political affiliation. People can have whatever affiliation they want, that does not itself drive discrimination.

That was just one example Tweet, Evans talks often about sexism, racism and even toxic masculinity.

Top Bottom