• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Brie Larson Isn’t Letting Her ‘Captain Marvel’ Press Tour Be ‘Overwhelmingly’ White and Male

No one cares what color the journalists are on your press tour, all we care about is how well made of an iconic super hero interpretation you protrayed. Stop virtue signaling and stick to the damn script.

If no ones cares except her, why do you care about it?

If no ones cares except her, why do you care about it?

Reminds me of the people who “don’t care” about LGBQT representation in games but then went out of their way to turn a completely valid and unrelated thread about ideas for Overwatch moving forward into unnecessary jokes about gender/sexuality reveals.

Last edited:

oagboghi2

Not false equivalencies at all. You just agree with one, yet disagree with the other. That's all. You don't think bigotry exist so how can we have a real conversation about this?

I think you are misunderstanding what people are saying when they say, "I'm proud to be a women" after watching something like this. This part takes empathy to understand but I'll try to explain it. When someone gets picked on for large parts of their life, it's 100% understandable when they see someone they can identify with do something great. It's like being a whimpy nerd all your kid years. And then seeing a movie where the weak nerdy kid wins by getting a sexy chick and winning in the end. For a moment that nerdy kid may feel proud of the things that makes him a nerd and may realize that, "yes I am cool in my own way and I should stop caring what people say about me."

And about diversity I know your thoughts on it and we disagree and that's fine. But it's 100% okay for her to give people an interview that normally wouldn't get that oppuntunity. Diversity isn't limited to race and gender, but those two things are part of diversity. To say otherwise is just ignorance.
We are supposed to believe women, notably white women, the most pampered spoiled, people on planet Earth need this movie to feel better about themselves? Are you fucking kidding me?

Your reward feisty people:

Now that the faux outrage doesn't have a place in this discussion, you can enjoy the movie now.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
Obama was a straight up race baiting piece of fuckshit no better than Al Sharpton. He didn't try to fix anything. The motherfucker blamed both sides after a black nationalist murdered cops in Texas.

You know, I keep seeing people say this about fmr Pres. Obama... That he was a race baiter... But their arguments NEVER hold water. He comments on a story that a REPORTER questioned him about ... And him being a black man has a different take on it than a white president would have... And he gets called a race baiter.

Look, kid... There's still racism in this country ... And not always the way YOU seem to see it ... But it's there. And to pretend that it isn't is just ignorance.

Edit: lemme look up what Pres. Obama said.

Last edited:
she doesn't know what she said? Is playing stupid a common trait for actress or just a speciality of Brie's?

The joke is on you playing the victim status, wanting to boycott, claiming she's a male hater with daddy issues, is trying to dethrone white men, etc. None of that is real, it's theatre.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
I don't know the answer to those questions. But if she saw the list and it was mostly white dudes......I doubt "those" would just so happen to be the people that were the best qualified to give the interview. Logic just doesn't work that way. And you have to think of the interviewer that she's picking also speaking to people that probably look like that person also. Brie clearly wants to speak to fans that are outside of the "NORMAL" Hollywood interview bubble.

Not sure why this is such a big deal that she wants to work and think outside the box.

It's not the case. I stated that because it was something I lacked when I couldn't identify with someone else's issue with something. It's one of the main reasons why I participate in conversations on GAF about non-game related stuff. It helps me empathize with people that I disagree with. I love understanding a perceptive that I personally don't have.

The color of someone's skin is more than "just" the color. It's something that's been very hard for some to understand on this forum. But being black in America is something that many of us understand. To some degree it is a shared experience. We don't "all" feel the same about stuff obviously, but most of us at least identify with similar things that happened to us, our friends, or family.

My answer to the bolded question is why not gender and race? Why does it have to be politics and class? It's her choice. It's not like she's demanding other actors to do the same thing. Why is choosing based on politics better than gender? And we can't live by MLK's words if the vision on the country he wanted still doesn't exist today. There are many states today that can fire a person just for the pure fact that they are gay or lesbian. I'd like to see stuff like that change first, before I get upset at Brie Larson doing more interviews that market to women and minorities.

It's clear that we are never going to agree, and I think that's primarily because we disagree on how humans define themselves. I believe that race and gender make very little difference to a person's worldview, while class does (a black woman from a rich household will have a similar worldview to a white man from the same background, but won't have anything in common with a black woman from a poor background). None of this is news, I've said it enough times. You seem to think that personhood is predicated on those imutables to a far greater degree, and unfortunately those base positions mean that we can't ever come to an agreement on this topic, which is a shame.

I will just bow out of this with one final thought. All of us want MLK's dream. I reckon the only people who don't are KKK members, and those guys can fuck themselves anyway. The problem is, if you don't want to live by those words why should anyone else?

Footnote: Employment law in America is fucked because any employer can fire anyone for any reason they like (as far as I'm aware) - this is not true in the UK, and perhaps explains part of our differences of opinion. This is more a problem of America doing nothing to protect workers than an explicit problem of sexism or racism.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
The joke is on you playing the victim status, wanting to boycott, claiming she's a male hater with daddy issues, is trying to dethrone white men, etc. None of that is real, it's theatre.

Hmm victim status. Privileged white women claiming oppression from the patriarchy definitely aren't playing victim status. Nope. No siree. Glad we cleared that up.

Your reward feisty people:

That's the fluffiest fluff interview I've seen in quite a while. I didn't watch to the end, but I wouldn't be surprised if the interviewer ended up completely disappearing in Brie's bumhole, "I swear, honest to god, I think you're totally awesome... now please dear movie producers don't fire my sorry rear, I'm only here to sell that movie to the audiences".

Brie Larsson suddenly "not remembering what was said or what she said" is just blatant damage control. You're really telling me that the woman who is single-handedly supposed to save womankind on the premise of a silly popcorn flick, who worked closely with "Dr. Stacy Smith at the USC Annenberg Inclusion Initiative" for almost a year and who talks about her identity pandering in every single interview, doesn't remember what she said?

"Oh yeah that little thing where I chided my white male audience, yeah pff, 's no biggie really, is hardly worth remembering so let's please all forget about it and come see the movie", Brie said smilingly as the numbers of her box office prediction flashed before her very eyes. "You're totally awesome", the paid shill replied while fiddling on his ridiculous tie.

For everybody else with a working brain who isn't hopelessly naive, it's quite evident that this movie is being marketed not on the premise of its cinematographic quality, but on pure identity pandering. Having pretty much tapped out their demographic, Marvel seeks to diversify its revenue stream by luring female viewers to their movies out of a twisted sense of identitarian solidarity. "Come and see my movie, together we will save womankind"... through a silly piece of vapid entertainment that's only there to line Marvel's pockets as the sheepish media-addicts are flooding the cinemas in order to watch explosions with an added pinch of morally injected double plus feel good. If Robert Downey Jr. would have told me that he's going to save "menkind" with his Iron Man movie, I'd have also given it a pass.

This is pure unadulterated capitalist focus-group marketing disguised as faux activism. Everybody falling for that ridiculous bullcrap is just thick as a brick.

Last edited:

MilkyJoe

That's the fluffiest fluff interview I've seen in quite a while. I didn't watch to the end, but I wouldn't be surprised if the interviewer ended up completely disappearing in Brie's bumhole, "I swear, honest to god, I think you're totally awesome... now please dear movie producers don't fire my sorry rear, I'm only here to sell that movie to the audiences".

Brie Larsson suddenly "not remembering what was said or what she said" is just blatant damage control. You're really telling me that the woman who is single-handedly supposed to save womankind on the premise of a silly popcorn flick, who worked closely with "Dr. Stacy Smith at the USC Annenberg Inclusion Initiative" for almost a year and who talks about her identity pandering in every single interview, doesn't remember what she said?

"Oh yeah that little thing where I chided my white male audience, yeah pff, 's no biggie really, is hardly worth remembering so let's please all forget about it and come see the movie", Brie said smilingly as the numbers of her box office prediction flashed before her very eyes. "You're totally awesome", the paid shill replied while fiddling on his ridiculous tie.

For everybody else with a working brain who isn't hopelessly naive, it's quite evident that this movie is being marketed not on the premise of its cinematographic quality, but on pure identity pandering. Having pretty much tapped out their demographic, Marvel seeks to diversify its revenue stream by luring female viewers to their movies out of a twisted sense of identitarian solidarity. "Come and see my movie, together we will save womankind"... through a silly piece of vapid entertainment that's only there to line Marvel's pockets as the sheepish media-addicts are flooding the cinemas in order to watch explosions with an added pinch of morally injected double plus feel good. If Robert Downey Jr. would have told me that he's going to save "menkind" with his Iron Man movie, I'd have also given it a pass.

This is pure unadulterated capitalist focus-group marketing disguised as faux activism. Everybody falling for that ridiculous bullcrap is just thick as a brick.

They were probably happy to go with the men bad angle, until the numbers came in, now they have her out there on damage control. All that shit she said about super hero movie for girls, maybe they should live in the reality that is - most females don't like this kind of movie - 'cause that were we're at.

kbear

c297faab-def9-41ee-94njy3.jpeg

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Why would she reach a larger audience by being interviewed/reviewed by people who has a specific gender/skin color rather than their expertise at the job ?

Larger probably isn't the correct word. But she'll reach a "wider" audience. She'll engage with people that don't usually get the opportunity. And Marvel is a huge brand so it's not like those "normal" outlets aren't going to be talking about the movie anyway.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Footnote: Employment law in America is fucked because any employer can fire anyone for any reason they like (as far as I'm aware) - this is not true in the UK, and perhaps explains part of our differences of opinion. This is more a problem of America doing nothing to protect workers than an explicit problem of sexism or racism.

I didn't know you lived in the UK. That explains some things. To follow up, no in America you can't fire people for any reason. There are laws that protect people in America from that type of stuff happening. https://www.dol.gov/agencies/ilab/our-work/workers-rights

But as of right now you can be fired in the majority of states in America just for the pure fact that you're gay. It's illegal in all 50 states to do that to someone on the basis of their gender\race\religion, etc.

I think you need to take a step back and realize to things:

- People here have been driving a woe is me you villian narrative that doesn't exist.
- Whatever work she is doing isn't nefarious. It's literally adding more peas to a pot.

This is a good example of wanting to be offended, than actually having a reason to be offended. It's taking something from one to eleven.

Fnord

The "if you don't like it, don't buy it" ultimatum did not work as expected the last time somebody tried that.

I don't see how anyone could possibly expect an outcome outside of fewer sales when making that statement. You're literally telling people not to buy your product.

Fnord

And they've already started pushing fake news.

https://archive.fo/npTqj

Except... if you actually look at the page, there are bunch of 5 star ratings and a single 3.5 rating.

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/captain_marvel/reviews/?page=6&type=user

Every headline that claims "review bombing" on Rotten Tomatoes for Captain Marvel is, in the strictest sense, factually inaccurate. There are literally (the correct definition) ZERO "troll" reviews on RT about Captain Marvel. None. They don't exist. Because RT doesn't allow reviews before a movie is released. What IS on RT is the audience "want to see" rating. And currently, it's not good. Not good at all.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
I didn't know you lived in the UK. That explains some things. To follow up, no in America you can't fire people for any reason. There are laws that protect people in America from that type of stuff happening. https://www.dol.gov/agencies/ilab/our-work/workers-rights

But as of right now you can be fired in the majority of states in America just for the pure fact that you're gay. It's illegal in all 50 states to do that to someone on the basis of their gender\race\religion, etc.

Thanks for the correction - looks like my information was a tad out of date then. Apologies for the fake news. I'll keep that info in mind next time I comment on US employment law. Had a bit of trouble finding content in that link but I'll take your word - you live there after all.

As for being able to fire someone for race/gender/religion.. Well that really is a bucket of turds that needs flushing. I mean that's properly disgraceful. Just to be clear, you absolutely can't do that in the UK. I think most of the EU is similar actually. I'd go as far as to say that most of the world outside of the traditional sweatshop locations offer that basic protection. Americans would do well to take up specific issues like this and perhaps some of the campaigning out there would be better focused on those kind of issues which really do affect people's everyday life and bugger up equality rather than the more esoteric stuff.

Fnord

The "our turn" narrative is still going strong, like what, 40 years after Alien? There are less of these types of female characters, sure, but I mean, I could be mistaken, I get the sense that a lot of this comes from a place of "it's our turn now" and "oh, you boys mad about a female lead?", when it's like, no, we've enjoyed them for decades now.

Same thing's going on in comics. Marvel decided to change basically every heavy hitter character to make them more "diverse," people got their backs up, said people were called racist, sexist, misogynists, homophobes, etc... And yet, comics have been diverse since at least the 60s. No one complained when Rhodey became Iron Man in the 90s. No one complained when Storm lead the X-Men. No one complained about Captain Marvel when she was a black woman. No one complained about Northstar coming out as gay. Yet suddenly all of the fans of those characters are *ist/*phobic because they didn't like the direction Marvel took? Seems unlikely.

Nymphae

Banned
Same thing's going on in comics. Marvel decided to change basically every heavy hitter character to make them more "diverse," people got their backs up, said people were called racist, sexist, misogynists, homophobes, etc... And yet, comics have been diverse since at least the 60s. No one complained when Rhodey became Iron Man in the 90s. No one complained when Storm lead the X-Men. No one complained about Captain Marvel when she was a black woman. No one complained about Northstar coming out as gay. Yet suddenly all of the fans of those characters are *ist/*phobic because they didn't like the direction Marvel took? Seems unlikely.

Shit, games too to some degree. Remember that Medal of Honor game with the female lead character, based on a real person? Compare that to the way BF5 was handled. Things were diverse, and getting ever more diverse as time went on. I don't understand how this narrative continues to propagate.

Barnabot

Shit, games too to some degree. Remember that Medal of Honor game with the female lead character, based on a real person? Compare that to the way BF5 was handled. Things were diverse, and getting ever more diverse as time went on. I don't understand how this narrative continues to propagate.

Guess some SJW people are changing the past and erasing those achievements as if they never existed in the first place so only now they are creating something "new and good".

What a wonderful power is to change the past.

Fnord

seems like this conversation has turned strictly political?

Conversation around this movie became political the second that first trailer hit and the "HER... ... O" thing appeared. That Larson has doubled down on the politics has just kept it going.

I didn't know anything about Brie Larson when it was announced that she was cast as the lead in this. I had completely forgotten the TSA/Airport incident. Or not associated it with the name. Then she stood up in front of the press and started yakking about things that she felt necessary to clarify with, "Does this mean I hate white dudes? No." over and over again and it was off to the races.

Zog

Banned
For some reason not wanting all the people you interview with to be "Overwhelmingly white and male" is now a bad thing.

Would not wanting all the people you interview with to be 'Overwhelmingly black and female' be a bad thing?

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
For some reason not wanting all the people you interview with to be "Overwhelmingly white and male" is now a bad thing.

Giving a shit what race the person interviewing you is is a bad thing. Stop viewing the world through the lens of race ffs.

Domisto

A studio just to fuck with people should make a official trailer for a superhero movie with a male lead saying A HE-RO... and see how sjws go nuts, lmao.
We need another He-Man movie. He's not just a man. He's a He! A HE! MAN! That's double the toxicity, plus that haircut!

You know, I keep seeing people say this about fmr Pres. Obama... That he was a race baiter... But their arguments NEVER hold water.

Pretending Trayvon Martin was a victim in any way? Or Clockboy? Or Henry Gates?

And him being a black man has a different take on it than a white president would have...

Well that reeks of racial prejudice.

Look, kid... There's still racism in this country ...

Yeah, it's called affirmative action. And don't call me kid, boy.

Edit: lemme look up what Pres. Obama said.

Weird. You never came back. I guess you stumbled across this and realized that, yes, he did blame both sides;

There are legitimate issues that have been raised, and there’s data and evidence to back up the concerns that are being expressed by [Black Lives Matter.] And if police organizations and departments acknowledge that there's a problem and there’s an issue, then that, too, is going to contribute to real solutions.

Because people who actually bothered to look at the 'data' and 'evidence' at the time knew black lives matter wasn't based in reality.

Last edited:

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended

Weird. You never came back. I guess you stumbled across this and realized that, yes, he did blame both sides;

Because people who actually bothered to look at the 'data' and 'evidence' at the time knew black lives matter wasn't based in reality.

Is it just me, or does this week of white racism?

When I’m the headline star of an MCU film (Sloth meets The Avengers, the role is all but mine) I’m only going to be interviewed by three year old objects in freefall.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended

Ok, lemme dissect this point by Point now that I have a bit more time (I'm at work and can't be on my phone all day)

1. Trayvon Martin WAS a victim. You can choose to believe Zimmerman is beyond reproach all you want, but his story never made real sense... Especially since he was stalking that kid. And, if memory serves me correctly, several jurors came out saying they wanted to vote guilty but felt pressured to vote not guilty. And his bizarre behavior since then... Especially with his lauding how he killed that child.

2. That's not prejudice. You don't understand what that word means, do you? The fact that Pres. Obama had different experiences that shaped his worldview that would make him more sympathetic to Trayvon or other black people than, say, George H. W. Bush doesn't reek of prejudice or racism any more than an Asian-American living in this country sees things differently than I do.

3. You think affirmative action is racism? Hold on... I'm gonna go laugh outside (I'm on my lunch break right now...)

*Laughs like a ln auditorium full of audience members at a comedy special at the Apollo*

*Comes back inside*

Ok... Where was I? Oh, right...

And I call obvious trolls "kid" because they have yet to grow up.

4. I hadn't come back to the thread because some of us have lives ... Plus, in my initial Google search, I couldn't find WHICH quote you were talking about. But thank you for providing it.

Now, to the quote... No, he didn't blame both sides. Your reading comprehension is very low. I'd explain it but it is already self explanatory. You seem to not like anything that doesn't paint white people as the best, the greatest or whatever other positive word you want to use.

Top Bottom