• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Brie Larson Isn’t Letting Her ‘Captain Marvel’ Press Tour Be ‘Overwhelmingly’ White and Male

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Honestly speaking what China did, to build a wall effectively caused them to create their own internet culture, movies, industry and so on. While i don't find it viable really the only way for your idea to work would be to do what Chinese did. Build internet wall.
No, not really. What you need is a strong movie industry that is willing to put as much money into making and distributing movies as they do in Hollywood. Then you start making quality movies and eventually you'll win audiences over.

lock2k

Banned
I think it's about time Europe severs the line to the US and builds their own film industry before this retardedness spreads even further into our countries. Then all the evil white males like Nolan, Cameron, Spielberg etc. can come over and make privileged movies here while all females and minorities run Hollywood.

What are you talking about? Europe has a movie industry and the majority of content that I've been watching lately is from Europe. It's refreshing to watch Spanish shows and not see SJW stuff all the time. They mostly don't care about this kind of shit.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
What are you talking about? Europe has a movie industry and the majority of content that I've been watching lately is from Europe. It's refreshing to watch Spanish shows and not see SJW stuff all the time. They mostly don't care about this kind of shit.
I know there are great shows around as it is but most of them do not have that mass appeal. We need some epic shit coming from Europe like Lord of the Ring or Star Wars.

lock2k

Banned
What's really funny about this girl is the fact that she uses Larson as an artistic name, a scandinavian surname that evokes whiteness to the bone.

lock2k

Banned
I know there are great shows around as it is but most of them do not have that mass appeal. We need some epic shit coming from Europe like Lord of the Ring or Star Wars.

Agreed! There are lot of common folk shows and several shows centered on police/crimes, historical shows, stuff like that. But we do need more European epic and sci-fi stuff.

Barnabot

What a time to be openly racist (but against the right target) and yet to think you're cool and edgy for being such an asshole. Free speech rules. I just don't understand why SJW hates free speech so much.

/s

Last edited:
From her wiki...

Larson experienced trauma when her parents divorced when she was seven.[11] She shared a dysfunctional relationship with her father; she has recalled, "As a kid I tried to understand him and understand the situation. But he didn't do himself any favors. I don't think he ever really wanted to be a parent."

giphy.gif

tkscz

Well I'm still going to see Captain Marvel

MV5BMjIyNTkwODY1OF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwMTUyMTA5NjM@._V1_.jpg

All she's telling me from this is her movie is bad she knows it's bad, but if most of the reviews will praise it for feminism, then the movie will look good.

Last edited:

Mihos

Gold Member
She says inclusion... but I kind of think she means the other thing.

Still seeing the movie, I love the comic book stuff.

Last edited:

iconmaster

Banned
I can’t help with the press tour but I can help Brie make sure her audience isn’t overwhelmingly white and male.

McCheese

Yassss, slay queen!!

Fuck all those privileged white males who filmed it, did the sfx work, marketing work, set design, and post production.

Im literally shaking just thinking about them.

Edit: oops wrong forum.

Dunki

I can’t help with the press tour but I can help Brie make sure her audience isn’t overwhelmingly white and male.
I think i alienates even more people since most people do not believe in this white male privilege bullshit. less than 18% thse days consider themselves a feminist. In the UK it is under 10%

Well that is the final nail in the coffin for me with this movie. Besides trailers that just don't do anything for me, then they picked the worst actress with her BS.

I know the MCU is filled with people who have very left political leanings but it isn't usually brought to the forefront like what she is doing. Just shut your mouth, appreciate the audience you are hired to appeal to and do your job.

This will hopefully be the Solo of the MCU. Even if she ruins Endgame with her potentially terrible character I will laugh because Marvel would have ruined the ending they have been working 10+ years towards. *MCU Movies are almost constantly being playing in my house, but if CM and End Game are terrible I will consider IW the ending of the franchise for me.

Last edited:

cr0w

Old Member
I don't disagree with thinking there should be more opportunities for critics and journalists who are minorities or otherwise excluded (such as the disabled one from the article), but there's a right way and a wrong way to fight for inclusion.

The right way is to welcome any and all critics and journalists on your press tour and give them all equal access. The wrong way is to exclude certain people from the tour because you feel there are "too many" of them represented.

Ideally, you should be able to get multiple opinions on films from a variety of critics and hopefully find one whose tastes and opinions are similar to yours so you'll have an idea of where they're coming from in their reviews, and not saying "you can't have an opinion about this because you're not exactly like the main character".

People going out of their way to crow about their inclusion efforts seem to think they're coming from some righteous place where equality is valued above all, but they're using bullying and exclusion to achieve their goals, which makes me question what their intentions truly are. Do you want inclusion to benefit everyone, or do you want "inclusion" that excludes a certain demographic that you view as a monolith? Equality is not an eye for an eye.

Last edited:
H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
The standard problem applies here - yes you may get a diverse set of people if you judge by immutables, but do you really get a diverse set of viewpoints? Where are the working class people? Where are the old people? Are we representing the left and the right equally? The answers to these questions tell you everything, but then this topic just keeps coming up. I do believe that it will, like the anti-chav movement before it, fizzle out (in this case through them eating their own), but in the meantime it's fucking annoying.

lock2k

Banned
The standard problem applies here - yes you may get a diverse set of people if you judge by immutables, but do you really get a diverse set of viewpoints? Where are the working class people? Where are the old people? Are we representing the left and the right equally? The answers to these questions tell you everything, but then this topic just keeps coming up. I do believe that it will, like the anti-chav movement before it, fizzle out (in this case through them eating their own), but in the meantime it's fucking annoying.

Diversity for diversity's sake is a fallacy.

Even if you get 12 white men in a room, their brains will be different and their thoughts will be different. The color doesn't make the brain.

It's not like people are all action figures who came from the same mold. Identity politics are stupid and it lumps people into categories and if you belong to a certain category you must think in a certain way.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
We wouldn't want white males to report on things, now would we?

Yet these same nutcases will turn around and shriek about "freedom of the press" when a political opponent pushes them out of the room or calls them out on fake news.

Dunki

Diversity for diversity's sake is a fallacy.

Even if you get 12 white men in a room, their brains will be different and their thoughts will be different. The color doesn't make the brain.

It's not like people are all action figures who came from the same mold. Identity politics are stupid and it lumps people into categories and if you belong to a certain category you must think in a certain way.
This is what the diversity Manager I think it was at Apple who by the way was a black women, got fired. The basically said he same thing.

funny thing: the new Diversity Chief at Apple is now a white women :p

Last edited:

MC Safety

Bree Larson doesn't get to pick or choose. She's an actress, and she's contractually obligated to do appearances, media sessions, and promotional events. Her scheduling is handled by Disney's PR company and dictated to Larson. The media venue gets to choose its representative, or you'd be reading everywhere Disney is now making demands about who can be sent to interview its stars. Larson can stew about the makeup of her interviewers, but when Disney says you sit for Vanity Fair, say, you don't get to whinge when the person who shows up for the media day or press junket or private interview is the race or gender you don't like.

It's good Larsen wants to be inclusive. But I can't imagine anyone would look favorably on her if she sits down for an interview and asks if a more diverse writer can tell her story.

Last edited:

JimiNutz

Banned
White men are the fucking worst.
Every day I wake up cursing myself. If only there was a way for me to change gender and/or race so that I didn't have to live like this.

Dunki

It's good Larsen wants to be inclusive. But I can't imagine anyone would look favorably on her if she sits down for an interview and asks if a more diverse writer can tell her story.
You can not be inclusive by excluding Groups like this

pr0cs

As an overwhelmingly white male I don't think I'll go see this movie. The crowd in the audience will be much more diverse that way

Fbh

So... having a quick look at her IMDB page what I get from this is that this white lady whose relative wealth and fame mostly come from movies directed and/or written by white guys ,and who made her directorial debut with a short fil starring a white guy, is letting us all know how woke and progressive she is for not wanting to be interviewed by white guys about her upcoming movie which was co-directed and written by a white guy

614VmsFwoNL._SX355_.jpg

Last edited:

MC Safety

You can not be inclusive by excluding Groups like this

Not sure what you're trying to say, but I'm thinking there's plenty of room at those ridiculous press junkets for all manner of writers. Whether they represent the correct race/sex or produce content for any sort of media outlet of note is another story.

Boss Mog

It's one thing to be naturally progressive/inclusive and another to constantly point out to everybody how woke you are, that's just virtue signaling and makes you a shitty person in my book. Bill Gates gives most of his money to charity yet you never hear him tooting his own horn, he's just naturally generous and not desperately trying to appear that way to others. There's some celebrities that make sure the press knows whenever they do the slightest charitable deed.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
And I was beginning to like her.
What if the interviewer identifies as a black Woman?
Is that ok

MDSLKTR

I'm really crossing my fingers that this movie doesn't come close to WW reception and success. It's important.

ive said this time and time again but when the fuck did white chicks weasel themselves on the fucking oppression totem pole near the bottom. if there is one and it would be based on like all progressive ruling if white guys are at the top they are one rung below them. how the fuck did white chicks manage to put up this smoke screen and be among the most oppressed

Ever dated a white chick? Pulling this shit is one of their specialties. Everything has got to be about them and they shift the narrative on anything to be the centre of attention.

ruvikx

Banned
The topic & question "is this critic qualified to review this type of movie?" is a very old one (way back when fans of Fritz Lang advised their readers on the merits of Tango & Cash, for example), but what's changed here is regressive cretins like Brie Larson now associate skin color & gender as the defining qualifiers. Not only is this line of thinking totally racist & sexist (despite their best efforts to hide behind pseudo-scientific social data in order to justify their race & gender hating against white men circa 2019), it's also utterly... stupid. Because if that were true (i.e. movies with female leads must be reviewed/interviewed by women or some other diversity non-white quota person in order to be "fairy represented"), then it would also apply to movies with white men as well.

Next time a non-white woman tries to give her opinion on Iron Man (or interview the lead actor), Robert Downey Jr. (following Brie Larson's example) would be entitled to tell her to f-off. Somehow, that seems like the total opposite of actual real diversity & inclusiveness.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
The topic & question "is this critic qualified to review this type of movie?" is a very old one (way back when fans of Fritz Lang advised their readers on the merits of Tango & Cash, for example), but what's changed here is regressive cretins like Brie Larson now associate skin color & gender as the defining qualifiers. Not only is this line of thinking totally racist & sexist (despite their best efforts to hide behind pseudo-scientific social data in order to justify their race & gender hating against white men circa 2019), it's also utterly... stupid. Because if that were true (i.e. movies with female leads must be reviewed/interviewed by women or some other diversity non-white quota person in order to be "fairy represented"), then it would also apply to movies with white men as well.

Next time a non-white woman tries to give her opinion on Iron Man (or interview the lead actor), Robert Downey Jr. (following Brie Larson's example) would be entitled to tell her to f-off. Somehow, that seems like the total opposite of actual real diversity & inclusiveness.
You're misunderstanding. The rule isn't "people should only interact with people similar to them".

The rule is "white men are ahead and need to be other'd in every corner of life to balance things out."

Progressives are in good company with the historical political/ideological groups which have also reached the same conclusions about Others based on skincolor and gender. Maybe we should start shutting down the bank accounts of these Others. Maybe we should vandalize their storefronts ruin their reputation on Twitter. Maybe we should prevent these Others from writing in OUR newspapers and debating in public with OUR politicians.

I hope the audience of her movie is predominantly white and male because I can only imagine the kind of self loathing that would come from exploiting the people she actively wishes to avoid. Luckily, her audience won't be predominantly white and male, it'll be predominantly empty.

Nymphae

Banned
Rich white girl takes a stand against white male journalists trying to promote her movie to other white male ticket buyers. I can't wait until we're on the other side of all this nonsense.

Last edited:

Blood Borne

Seriously what’s up with these self-loathing guilt-ridden white folks? I’m genuinely asking. It seems like a relatively new phenomenon.

Disclaimer for leftists- I’m not white, I’m just curious because I find it bizarre and irritating.

Kamina

Golden Boy
I really hope that movie bombs honestly.

I find myself wondering why she accepted the role in the first place? Would it not make more sense for her to step aside and allow someone who is not white to take the role instead?

It just seems not right that she would take the job knowing that she herself is white and already overwhelmingly represented but then would try to dictate who can and cannot do other jobs based on their race.
That money is too sweet.

Last edited:

Dontero

Banned
No, not really. What you need is a strong movie industry that is willing to put as much money into making and distributing movies as they do in Hollywood. Then you start making quality movies and eventually you'll win audiences over.

But it is completely false. China does not use common apps we use. They have their own stuff, their own google, their own facebook their own culture. It it didn't happen because those won competition. It happened precisely because of firewall same way their companies like huawei etc rose up because China blocked anyone from going into their market.

Movie industry is exact same thing.

You can see clearly also what happened to ex soviet republics like poland when market opened up after fall of soviet union.
Polish movie industry was thriving in communism (mostly due to money fed by gov) produced shitload of good movies that could rival greatest movies from hollywood. Once soviet union fell instantly cinemas outpushed polish content for hollywood content and whole industry fell overnight never to recover.

This aspect of globalization is imho not good. Unfortunutelly i don't see counter to it.

NickFire

Although Disney could probably care less, they just lost a few ticket sales from my family for this one. Since they have an issue with my demographic I will respectfully stay away so their female non-white viewers can watch in comfort.

Top Bottom