• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Brief Halo/Halo 5 Beta Info from Gamescom

Pfhunkie

ohh, would you like to share your opinion on why it sucks with the rest of the class?
For me, this means the possibility of AR starts being forced upon me again. I hate AR starts with such a passion that it essentially ruins any Halo for me. I've got to have a proper utility weapon in my hand on start for it to actually feel like a proper Halo match. The utility weapon is the core to what I love about Halo.

I'm looking at it right now. Well, more like 48-60 because I'm running in debug. But yeah. Dat jungle.

tumblr_mmkvrsFGYV1rrucamo1_500.gif

Grisby

Equal footing. Nice.

Hopefully 343 has learned their lesson from the dlc deal too of they decide to do another season pass. Never could get a matchmaking game with a lot of the newer maps.

Rockyrock

all sounds good so far.

really shocked at 7 beta maps. usually games only ship with 10-12 maps at most these days.

IDK how having more than half the maps being available before launch will be. On on side it gives a chance to make the maps better for launch (Gears 3 beta was a perfect example of this), but on the other they could become a bit stale after playing them so much.

(also this is on the assumption the game will only launch with 10-12 maps like the other Halos.)

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Equal footing. Nice.

Hopefully 343 has learned their lesson from the dlc deal too of they decide to do another season pass. Never could get a matchmaking game with a lot of the newer maps.
A custom games browser would solve this problem and probably bring world peace.

aj1467

My post didn't appear for some reason :/ dafuq

(Inb4 I've made like a triple post on everyone else's screen xD)

all sounds good so far.

really shocked at 7 beta maps. usually games only ship with 10-12 maps at most these days.

IDK how having more than half the maps being available before launch will be. On on side it gives a chance to make the maps better for launch (Gears 3 beta was a perfect example of this), but on the other they could become a bit stale after playing them so much.

(also this is on the assumption the game will only launch with 10-12 maps like the other Halos.)

I think it's an indicator that the full game will ship with a ton of maps. I will take guess at around 16 - 21 maps. It's just a stab in the dark based on the amount of maps in the Beta. Usually Beta's contain about 1/3 to 1/4 of the total.

all sounds good so far.

One other point to look at is that we won't be playing the game again for another year. Scratch that actually, who knows, maybe there could be a second beta.

Kind of torn.

Beta focuses on 4v4, back to basics, no loadouts etc.
But in the teaser (which was included in the beta announcement) we see Spartan's charging, sliding and ground slamming.

343 pls.

Kind of torn.

But in the teaser (which was included in the beta announcement) we see Spartan's charging, sliding and ground slamming.

343 pls.

I feel like this could be nothing, but what if these things were actually pickups around the map. It sounds weird, but who knows; it could happen.'

Also, were the earlier Halo games focused on 4v4?

EDIT: If the game really does have sliding, then it's only logical that it will have sprint.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Kind of torn.

343 pls.
Those are the new "Spartan Abilities". They're inherent abilities that all players can use. Whether or not they're a good addition to the game is yet to be seen, but everyone having them at least goes along with the "even playing field" philosophy.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Those are the new "Spartan Abilities". They're inherent abilities that all players can use. Whether or not they're a good addition to the game is yet to be seen, but everyone having them at least goes along with the "even playing field" philosophy.

already sound better ten AAs.

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
already sound better ten AAs.

And everyone could have all of them rather than pick and choose just one -- especially if they were described as something like "high jacking a ghost" rather than one of the armor abilities. I do hope sprint is not one of those abilities though -- having a slide would be interesting because it could function sort of like sprint but be much more limited.

Kampfheld

Banned
After watching the B-Roll footage for the 10th time ... I fucking LOVE the grenade/rocket/plasma/whatever explosions. They simply look ... Awesome.

Skele7on

Banned
Was it my Wizard from the Moon shirt?

I'm not happy with you, I though oh I can just focus on Destiny MP wait for Halo 5.

Then you add the Halo 2 ranking system on a game that already looks glorious?

not cool

How dare you, I mean how am I meant to spend my limited free time now?

I want to play both but I am not an octopus... :(

Help me.

PnCIa

Looking at the footage, well, this looks a lot like Halo 4/Halo Reach HD. I kinda expect this when they focus on 60 FPS though.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Ascension
Coagulation (also new "Forge World")
Zanzibar
Sanctuary
Lockout
Terminal
I'd be okay with that list, but it's not my ideal. I like Lockout, but it's been remade enough. I'm tired of it. I'd rather have Relic or Colossus back. And Ascension is one of the most mediocre fan favorites, but oh well.

My dream list would probably be:

Waterworks
Terminal
Turf
Sanctuary
Colossus
[and another smaller 4v4 map... I'm not sure which, considering Midship is out]

Homeboyd

I'd be okay with that list, but it's not my ideal. I like Lockout, but it's been remade enough. I'm tired of it. I'd rather have Relic or Colossus back. And Ascension is one of the most mediocre fan favorites, but oh well.

My dream list would probably be:

Waterworks
Terminal
Turf
Sanctuary
Colossus
[and another smaller 4v4 map... I'm not sure which, considering Midship is out]
Frank already said Lockout though.. and Terminal was the CEA/Reach map pack map that just missed the cut.

Yes - but my point was it's not really back to basics then. It's back to basics, plus sprint/charge/slide/slam abilities.

It doesn't really bother me - Reach was probably my most played Halo multiplayer, but I'm still seeing some confusing messaging.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Frank already said Lockout though.. and Terminal was the CEA/Reach map pack map that just missed the cut.
Oh yeah, I forgot about him confirming Lockout.

Yes - but my point was it's not really back to basics then. It's back to basics, plus sprint/charge/slide/slam abilities.

It doesn't really bother me - Reach was probably my most played Halo multiplayer, but I'm still seeing some confusing messaging.
Agreed. I think their "back to basics" messaging is meant to have an asterisk at the end. We'll have to wait to see what's in the footnotes.

I personally am hoping they come up with some retarded lore as to why sprint is disabled in 4v4 competitive arena....maybe some crap about disabling it to enhance training on decision making for spartans.

Then they can add sprint for the crap btb shit 343 will be obliged to put in the game for all the hordes of people who someone come to halo for that crap.

Monocle

Looks like I might have been right about Halo being enough to put an XB1 on my buy list. If Halo 5 takes a back-to-basics approach with the gameplay, music, and campaign design, I need to play it sooner than I thought.

That music in the Halo Channel video was new, right? I would love to hear more tracks like that in Halo 5's score. It reminds me of Marty's work, of course, which matters because his music is keyed to so many of my memories of this series. You want a Halo game to feel like a Halo game? Bringing back the signature musical style from Bungie's first three Halos is a great place to start.

Monocle

I personally am hoping they come up with some retarded lore as to why sprint is disabled in 4v4 competitive arena....maybe some crap about disabling it to enhance training on decision making for spartans.

Then they can add sprint for the crap btb shit 343 will be obliged to put in the game for all the hordes of people who someone come to halo for that crap.
The UNSC introduced a mandatory Jazzercize regimen for all Spartans. It increases their funk and rhythm, which improves combat performance and causes them to chill the fuck out so they don't have to run all over the place during a firefight.

I don't know if that's the official explanation, but it should be.

I still think it should be Sidewinder after the injustice of getting Headlong in the CE Anniversary. Before anyone says just play Avalanche and Sidewinder on the other games, you can never have enough Sidewinder. Or they could just save Sidewinder for Halo 5, but it sounds like they might be doing something different with BTB in 5. Just by their approach of having arena 4v4 maps in the beta and the original rumors about the Master Chief collection.

Top Bottom