• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Brief look at the Switch UI

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Forgive my inelegant Youtube screen capture:

t5Xn3A4.png

The buttons, from right to left:

- Sleep Mode
- System Settings
- Controllers
- Album
- Nintendo eShop
- Game News

Games in the main row, nice chunks of art instead of the smaller icons from previous systems. Lookin pretty elegant, especially compared to the 3DS/Wii U.

A curious lack of Miiverse, which I also noticed on the website and in the presentation as a whole. Just this new "Album" option. I wonder if they'll be sunsetting the service. Moving from NNIDs and Miiverse to Nintendo Account and Album.

[Edit] Clean shot:

img07.jpg

The UI looks nice. Minimalist.

Roi

I like this simple but elegant design. I noticed the logos have curves like on the My Nintendo website.

Dominator

Not bad. This thing is going to be strictly a handheld for me I like the look if its gonna be right in front of my face for extended periods.

KarmaCow

There's minimal and then there's just sparse. So much empty space for no good reason.

I'm guessing in their separation from the Wii branding they are doing away with Mii's and anything related to them.

Doubt it, looks like a Mii in the top left. My Nintendo still heavily uses Miis as well, not to mention stuff like Miitomo.

vern

So far lines up with all my source said to me months ago and I've been talking about in various threads around gaf.

Minimalist, game focused, and most everything else on a companion app. Can't wait to see more. GAF came down hard on me and said I was crazy.

Miiverse, one of the best things from wiu, ditched.
Wtf is nitendo thinking.
And of course they are not going to change shit, even with a lot of criticism going their way. The shitty online paid service, shitty dena os that needs to be done in a phone isntead of the console, and huge price tags have killed the console.

AzaK

Looks amateurish. The app/game graphics look flat as fuck. It's like some who really has no idea about UI design only ever saw an Android phone and assumed that was the best UI ever made.

I really hope they don't ditch Miiverse.

Everything I saw today points strongly towards it being dead, unless by the Capture button's social-network integration they meant "Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, and our very own Miiverse". But they would have said so.

It's a pity, because I found it to be one of the great unique surprises of online functionality on the Wii U. But even online is behind a paywall now, so what hope is there for messages from strangers showing up in-game?

If this is also the successor to the portable line, I'll miss StreetPass as well. I like the confirmation of a sleep mode, though; wonder what the battery life in it will be.

Oregano

So far lines up with all my source said to me months ago and I've been talking about in various threads around gaf.

Minimalist, game focused, and most everything else on a companion app. Can't wait to see more. GAF came down hard on me and said I was crazy.

You were totally right. I don't like it but you were right.

I like the design but not the lack of features.:(

Figments

By the looks of it, the lack of on-device lobby chat and friend's list is astounding.

What the fuck, Nintendo.

I don't want to have to use my goddamn phone to access basic features I should be able to access from the console.

Yado

I doubt the final UI will look like that. Just looks like something they slapped together for the presentation.

yoonshik

Lack of everything.

But i'm more worried about this:

From the Splatoon 2 Nintendo Product Page:

I basically think all social features won't be native to the console and wrapped around the smartphone app. Is this Nintendo being super scared of piracy?

Edit: Taking this one step further it seems most of settings and console UI will be done on a smartphone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYGhNu5D688

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=228232712&postcount=150

This is beyond stupid.

Top Bottom