• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Brigador dev responds to question about pricing

Seems like quite a few sites are writing about this, and understandably so. It's a great response
We have spent 5 years making Brigador, if you include when we started building the engine.

5 years.

Much of that has been working full time, 6-7 days a week, 8+ hours a day. Even at a very conservative estimate that's over 10,000 hours of work per person, and there are 4 of us. We did not do a kickstarter, we do not have a publisher. We have funded this entire project out of pocket.

Here is a list of things that also take about 5 years to do:
- get a PhD
- get married and have two children
- earn $72,000 at the US minimum wage (pre-tax)
- win the election and serve a term as President of the United States
- fight World War I
- develop from an embryo into a person who can speak in complete sentences
- fail to qualify for the Olympics, twice
- start drinking too much and gain 20lbs because of stress from starting a company and building a game for 5 years
- watch all 262 episodes of Two and a Half Men (we do not endorse doing this)

Brigador was made almost entirely from scratch, and when it ships will contain 2 hours of original music, over 100 different enemy units, a story campaign, a free play mode, and a playable landmass of ~2 mi² (split between 20 maps) -- roughly the size of downtown Chicago or the urban area in GTA III -- hand detailed all the way down to street lamps, trash cans, stop signs, etc.
More at the link:
http://steamcommunity.com/app/27450...02673468/?tscn=1456139312#c405692224242982114

You can find the Early Access release thread here

NBlzzrE.jpg

5taquitos

I've been loving the small amount of time I've had with my EA copy. This is already leading to more eyes on the project, which is only a good thing. More people need to see this game!

CBTech

People are complaining about a $20 price tag? I was expecting at least $40. That's ridiculous. Just because it is Early Access doesn't mean it should be dirt cheap. I'm glad the devs handled it well.

So strange that this ever even becomes an issue. Everyday, people don't buy things because they're too expensive. But for videogames some people feel the need to raise a stink about it?

I don't get it. Prices are set, either you buy it, or you don't. There's no 'correct' price.

J-Tier

Great response. It's a shame that "indie" games have become valueless to so many of today's gamers, so much that they'd complain when one launches at more than a couple bucks.

The full post behind the link is very much worth reading btw, honest and funny. The devs seem like cool people and that post is the best PR they could have done IMO. I hope it pays off.

Anno

Shame that it's even an issue. Hopefully this gets out around a bit as free press; the game seems rad and I'm sure they could do with all the incremental sales it may get them.

Jharp

Nuclear Throne dealt with similar nonsense, especially when it wouldn't get any cheaper during major sales. And that game was only $13.

It's pretty maddening how entitled some gamers are over indie-pricing, and these devs responded in the most appropriate and laudable way possible. I suppose that's what happens when a generation grows up with phone games as a baseline for pricing.

On the other hand, this totally reminded me that I meant to buy Brigador when the Bombcast notified me of its existence several months ago. Bought and happily paid for.

Leynos

Will Brigador only release on Steam? I despise DRM on any game, and refuse to spend more than $10 for a digital-only game riddled with DRM. Now, if it were also on GOG (no DRM) then I would have no qualms about paying $20 there.

This trend of second-guessing indie game pricing is getting really annoying. Buy it or don't, show how much you value a game with your wallet, leave that whiny haggling shit in mobile storefronts.

Bahlor

I love the response of the dev. People are spending so much money on things that need less work or give them less hours of fun...

It's unbelievable amount of work, even simple games. I think the problem is, people just have no idea how games are made and / or how much work goes into this. But on the other side... I think this is not only a problem related to games but software in general. Clients just don't see the work behind things like this. Most ppl seem to things there's some kind of "create awesome app" button.

I think the game is absolutely worth the price and the they justified it pretty well.

Loving it *clap*

Seems like pricing something based on emotions and how hard you worked for it isn't a good idea. It's like when you see ridiculous prices on eBay or even here on B/S/T. It's not about what it's worth to you as the seller, it's about what it's worth to the buyers. If you think they'll be receptive to your pricing then by all means, but take personal feelings out of it.

Bahlor

Seems like pricing something based on emotions and how hard you worked for it isn't a good idea. It's like when you see ridiculous prices on eBay or even here on B/S/T. It's not about what it's worth to you as the seller, it's about what it's worth to the buyers. If you think they'll be receptive to your pricing then by all means, but take personal feelings out of it.

The amount of work should be considered in my opinion. I mean... you need to make profit and if they invested in this and payed upfront, they need to calculate carefully. Developers need to eat too! You can't live from bugs.

Blizzard

Banned
And what determines what something is worth to the buyers? Perception plays a part, does it not?

To take an extreme example, if one is aware that say, ordering a cheaper product overseas is financing slave labor in a particular market, maybe one should raise the "worth" of that product in your mind.

To take a less extreme example, if one is aware that say, buying from large chains is harming local businesses and the local economy, maybe one should raise the "worth" of those products in their minds.

When people are totally unaware of how difficult game development is compared to even some normal software development, they can assign "worths" that act against their own interests in harming an industry, resulting in a race to the bottom or annoying practices like ads/microtransactions. Disclaimer, this is my opinion as both a normal software developer and a game developer.

Cleve

Pricing things based on the work involved is definitely appropriate. $20 is more than fair for something like this.

jblank83

Buyers would drive the price down to $0.00 if they could.
Sellers would raise the price up to $999,999,999,999.99 if they could.

Somewhere in between is a reasonable compromise. Sometimes it takes some negotiation to reach that ground. It's worth reminding people that these mid-small sized developers need to eat and pay the bills as well. You're not sticking it to some corporate suit by CDKeying their new game. Some of these companies are living and dying on the sales of a game. That doesn't mean you should go out and support garbage, but supporting good indie games at full prices is not a bad thing.

It keeps the market from being dominated solely by trash AAA games with $50 season passes. It keeps innovative, passionate games and developers working and making great games. That's good for all of us. And the price of that support is almost inconsequential in 2016. Fast food meals cost $10, for ****'s sake.

Given the lack of marketing budgets, I have no problem with a developer using "personal feelings" in justifying an already justifiable price point. Part of a mid-small size team is community engagement on a personal level, unlike the flashy ad campaigns of bigger corporations.

StereoVsn

But mah Nickelback poster!
Snagged both posters! I will rock it like early 2000s. Game is too expensive compared to images of such an inspiring band like Nickelback.

Obviously /s. Also they actually have couple songs I like, don't judge me.

bounchfx

I know someone working on this, and that dude is a complete bad ass. I cant believe people are bitching about the 20$ price point. Fuck it, I'm buying this right now. Is there a launch date? Looks like it's still early access.

You can justify your price all you want, if customers are complaining that your price is too high, you have a problem.

The market for dual-stick shooters just isn't very strong at the moment. Nuclear Throne has done respectably because Vlambeer really knows what they're doing as a publisher and not just as a developer (and having a strong reputation going in certainly didn't hurt), but most other dual-stick shooters are under-performing these days.

The amount of work should be considered in my opinion. I mean... you need to make profit and if they invested in this and payed upfront, they need to calculate carefully. Developers need to eat too! You can't live from bugs.

I agree you need to make a profit, but consumers for the most part aren't concerned about how much work you did. Saying "We worked hard" isn't good marketing. Promote it based on what it offers.

And what determines what something is worth to the buyers? Perception plays a part, does it not?

Perception definitely plays a part. So the question is did they do a good enough job so that consumers perceive it to be worth the asking price? We'll see. I certainly hope so.

Pricing things based on the work involved is definitely appropriate. $20 is more than fair for something like this.

The market will ultimately dictate what's fair. They'll either jump on board early, wait for the Steam sale, or ignore it completely.

zelas

I think the game is priced just fine and they actually justify it with several other reasons but to put the focus of his defense on how much time was spent developing the game rubs me the wrong way.

Time a developer spends developing a game is not really something a consumer should have to worry about, nor does it alone immediately shield any price from complaints. Especially when in most cases consumers don't have a say in that process. There are risks, responsibilities, and a budget that needs to be planned out from the start. A large publisher would catch a lot of flak from consumers if they chose to price their game higher than expected to merely cover delays and increased expenses. It shouldn't be any different for a smaller dev, at the very least people should understand the complaints in that scenario.

But again we're talking maybe $10 or $15 going to $20? That's nothing compared to say a game in a random series going from $60 to $60+. And I don't think these guys initially created lower expectations.

5taquitos

This post is getting a lot of traction (RPS, Kotaku, probably more). I'd be interested to see the SteamSpy charts in the next few days to see if it has a measurable impact.

Nzyme32

I've been waiting to grab this for quite a long time now. Not sure when it will come out of early access but the reception is so good that I may well hop aboard anyway soon

NIN90

Game looks fucking sick. Any indication when it is gonna leave Early Access? Gonna buy it in the near future regardless.

Karak

Its an amazing title guys.
Here is my early access review and its just better than that now.
Though its my older style. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6tvzPUAN0wY

Tried to cover everything. Its flat out amazing and if your on the fence you shouldn't be.

As for price. He is a well spoken dude so I am glad he was able to get the time to write it up.

Trojan

Whatever happened to people just not buying something if they felt the price of something was too high? This response was great.

Top Bottom