• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Brightburn trailer - Superman meets Horror

I_D

Because James Gunn has essentially been black-listed, I expect this movie to completely lack on acting-talent and production-values.
But damn if it doesn't look interesting.

I've wanted an "evil superhero' movie for ages. It makes complete sense that somebody like Superman would let the power go to his head and just start wasting people.
I hope the acting is good, the production is good, and the directing is good. This has a cult-hit feeling all over it.

I've wanted an "evil superhero' movie for ages. It makes complete sense that somebody like Superman would let the power go to his head and just start wasting people.

If you like the idea of corrupt super people then definitely check out The Boys when it hits Amazon

Tesseract

Banned
Crack is whack, dude.

Let's not derail this any further.

I'd hope the movie has a nice twist beyond kryptonite, but that's just me.

weed actually

back to the topic, i meant frailty as in the baddies are the humans

unless that's what you meant and i still missed it, that's not kryptonite

MC Safety

weed actually

back to the topic, i meant frailty as in the baddies are the humans

unless that's what you meant and i still missed it, that's not kryptonite

Yeah, I have to believe you're being disingenuous. Frailty can apply to weakness of character, but it more commonly means a physical weakness. It would be more appropriate to tag frailty to the superhuman villain, and I think you're well aware of that.

Maybe we can revisit this when the purple haze clears.

Last edited:

Tesseract

Banned
Yeah, I have to believe you're being disingenuous. Frailty can apply to weakness of character, but it more commonly means a physical weakness. It would be more appropriate to tag frailty to the superhuman villain, and I think you're well aware of that.

Maybe we can revisit this when the purple haze clears.

dude i'm talking about the movie frailty (2001) starring bill paxton

Last edited:
Grace with the real burn.
More like Grace with the year-late Gunn jab. Everyone's over it already, lady. I'm not even sure what she's on about. The R-rated aspect of this film was appropriately dark and gory, like a comic book of this ilk would be.

My opinion on the film is that it's a fun little watch. Are there better "evil son" movies out there? Sure. Maybe even one that was released this year (I liked The Prodigy). But any real comic book fan should get a kick out of this. Perhaps it'll be a little much for MCU fans accustomed to sanitized crap (maybe that's what set this Grace off?).
My one big complaint doesn't lie with the film itself, but the trailers. If you've seen the first trailer, you've basically seen the movie, unfortunately.

More like Grace with the year-late Gunn jab. Everyone's over it already, lady. I'm not even sure what she's on about. The R-rated aspect of this film was appropriately dark and gory, like a comic book of this ilk would be.

My opinion on the film is that it's a fun little watch. Are there better "evil son" movies out there? Sure. Maybe even one that was released this year (I liked The Prodigy). But any real comic book fan should get a kick out of this. Perhaps it'll be a little much for MCU fans accustomed to sanitized crap (maybe that's what set this Grace off?).
My one big complaint doesn't lie with the film itself, but the trailers. If you've seen the first trailer, you've basically seen the movie, unfortunately.

I didn’t even realize it was out.

How scary is it? Is it Jump Scare Heavy?

Grace with the real burn.

Damn. She thought it was THAT bad?

I didn’t even realize it was out.

How scary is it? Is it Jump Scare Heavy?
It's not. Comes out this weekend I think. Caught a preview screening a few weeks back. I don't remember many (or any?) blatant jump scares.

Damn. She thought it was THAT bad?
Her comments in that tweet states that she thinks its "distasteful". I still have no idea what she's talking about, other than some gory bits?

And then she states she can't expound because it's "a safety issue".

So yeah: no fucking clue, man. :messenger_grinning_smiling:

Edit: To be clear, I don't think it's a GREAT movie. But it wasn't bad, and certainly not bad enough that one should grandstand on Twitter that they're skipping a review.

Last edited:

Lanrutcon

Hey, what happens when kid Superman realises he can do what he wants and no-one can stop him? Exactly what you're thinking, for a predictable hour and half, without any resolution or conclusion.

Premise could have been used for an awesome action movie featuring the world vs evil god kid. Instead we got this. It's hard to feel any suspense when the antagonist of the movie is literally unstoppable. I laughed when they tried to call the police.

5/10. Make the sequel a disaster movie please.

Reviews are about what I expected, in the 6ish range. Like I said, not a GREAT movie but enjoyable nonetheless, especially if you like dark comic books.

Grace is going off on this… she’s not the easily-offended type, really. The film must have really shaken her.
She's just grandstanding dude. That's what "influencers" do when they want their fans to think a certain way.
I wonder what her Aladdin review was like, considering Brightburn has reviewed better overall. Oh wait, Aladdin didn't have the Gunns producing so there was no bandwagon for her to jump on. God, I hate YouTubers.

Edit: turns out I don't have to wonder what her Aladdin review was like at all:
"My audience burst into applause like FIVE times during the movie - it deserves to make a BILLION dollars worldwide - review tomorrow 9am EST! "
:messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:

Kadayi

Banned
Grace is going off on this… she’s not the easily-offended type, really. The film must have really shaken her.

IIRC she really went hard on Gunn when all that stuff came up about his Twitter and she's not the forgiving type so I'd take her distain with a hefty pinch of salt and wait for other reviews tbh.

I agree, The Prodigy seemed like an eighties thriller/horror flick. I hope Orion sticks to more of those sorts of genre flicks. The Domestics was fun as well. Going to go see Brightburn after work.

MC Safety

I saw it, and it's in parts gross and meanspirited.

It's not very subtle, either. There are things this film absolutely wants you to know and it's not going to let them slip by you. So in a real way it's very cynical, too.

It was an interesting take, but I'm not sure I could recommend it. Elizabeth Banks is pretty good, the kid is suitably creepy, and the ending is probably the best thing about Brightburn.

Just saw it. Spoiler-free thoughts

I am curious to hear what people honestly expected going into it, before entering the theater. I wonder if maybe some expectations were too high. This cost 7 million to make, that's chump change. I think expecting an R rated movie with DCU or MCU levels of production value/polish might have been unreasonable.

For 7 mil I think it looks pretty good, I am happy with what we got.

It's a solid 7 in my book. It is basically exactly what I expected from the first teaser. The acting is fine, the story/execution is okay. The concept is gold. This is a goldmine. I hope it expands into something much much bigger.

I wouldn't say this is something you have to rush out and see in IMAX or anything like that.

Probably should have been 20 minutes longer, imo.

I am not sure what Grace is so upset about. Had she not seen Slither? With this team it's' gonna get gory.

Grace has BB as her worst movie of the year so far. Says she still won’t talk about the movie in detail but classifies it as one one of the most disturbing she’s ever seen and is an “embodiment of all the toxicity you see online, a troll’s wet dream” or something like that.

Wow.

I’m actually a fan of Grace and her channel. I guess I just don’t see why she was so bothered by this one. Maybe I’ve watched too many weirdo indie horror movies but this wasn’t that crazy to me.

Last edited:

Javthusiast

Banned

Grace has BB as her worst movie of the year so far. Says she still won’t talk about the movie in detail but classifies it as one one of the most disturbing she’s ever seen and is an “embodiment of all the toxicity you see online, a troll’s wet dream” or something like that.

Wow.

I’m actually a fan of Grace and her channel. I guess I just don’t see why she was so bothered by this one. Maybe I’ve watched too many weirdo indie horror movies but this wasn’t that crazy to me.

I like her content too, but she even had problems with a classic movie like Oldboy, because some topics in there were too spicy for her.

Ownage

I saw it, and it's in parts gross and meanspirited.

It's not very subtle, either. There are things this film absolutely wants you to know and it's not going to let them slip by you. So in a real way it's very cynical, too.

It was an interesting take, but I'm not sure I could recommend it. Elizabeth Banks is pretty good, the kid is suitably creepy, and the ending is probably the best thing about Brightburn.
Might see it. Hope it ends on a dark note. Disney endings need to stay away.

Kenpachii

Wow.

Gotta be outraged to get clicks that's all towards it

The only toxic person is that chick in that video.

Top Bottom