• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Brink becomes F2P 6 years later(well, effectively free since there's not much to buy)

I pre ordered this game and put 57 hours into it. I remember it being kinda fun, but it was the time around which I switched from MMOs (world of warcraft) back to SP/console/FPS games, so for me anything new was interesting

PM0Apvs.png

GodofWine

lawbreakers thought it was competing with overwatch when in reality it's competing with BRINK

Oh god, your right, Brink is over half way to matching LB's current player count. 343 to 695!!!!

Brink will hit an all time peak in the next two days that is higher than LB's peak, thats my BOLD prediction.

(Sorry for the back to back posts)

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
I actually really enjoyed this game around release and put quite a few hours into it. I had seen all the negative reviews, but was peer pressured into buying it.

FyreWulff

My main memory of Brink was it looked awesome, had great ideas.. had 100% control and buttons customization on console, remap, sensitivity for everything.. and then they didn't put in basic stick control customization. Couldn't even play it. So I passed on it.

I'll try it now though.

Magwik

Banned
I'm so confused by this.
Like there's gotta be more to it than just making it free right?
Z0MlSyDlSb6mIM2DJPH73A.png

Would that REALLY warrant a spot on the Steam home page?

I'm still puzzled by this game. The Dev made one of the best multiplayer games ever in RtCW, art was beautiful, gameplay concepts were really cool and it had tons of marketing behind it. How could it end up so wrong?

I blind bought it on ps3 ages ago. For 2€. There was noody online, so I gave it to someone. Maybe I'll get it on PC to play with the 70 lonely souls messing with the F2P version while it last?

I remember playing the PS3 version with a group of friends on launch night and textures took a full minute to load in, performance was sub-30FPS and the servers were crumbling so we were rubberbanding everywhere. If I recall right, one of those friends ran over the disc with his truck about a week later.

Thanks for the memories, Brink.

SirNinja

I'm so confused by this.
Like there's gotta be more to it than just making it free right?
Z0MlSyDlSb6mIM2DJPH73A.png

Would that REALLY warrant a spot on the Steam home page?

It's possible that there's going to be some kind of update for it that was intended to go live during Quakecon, but Steam jumped the gun on the F2P part of it.

Or maybe they just made the game free. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I'm pretty sure I got this for free when I worked in electronics at Target through that retailer associate website that Bethesda used to run.

Where did Brink go wrong?

compromising what made ET great so that it could work for consoles

the game is like 95% of the way to being decent
i didn't play it a ton, but with low enough player counts on maybe some of the maps i think it worked fairly well

it's just the maps were claustrophobic to accommodate the low fov of consoles and the weapons weren't very precise (lots of spread. strange balance decisions) to accommodate analog sticks

brink also ran like crap at launch, so it never really had a chance (this is also why ETQW died)

blacklotus

This game was one of my first disappointments. They boasted they were bringing back team play and since it was splash damage i was hoping for a kind of RTCW style of gameplay.

Was so disappointed.

Mooreberg

That is weird with Dirty Bomb just getting an update. But I'll download it anyway. Maybe they want more people to buy the last two maps for $1.79 lol.

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
This game had some great ideas and was ahead of it's time in more ways than one. It just needed at least another 6 months of polish and tuning. The netcode was worse than Gears 2. There was also very little use of the heavy and light characters. Still, the time I played a full match at Quakecon with no bugs was a blast.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
For it's time. There wasn't a lot of FPS games that had Mirror's Edge style movement.
True, but I feel like it's kinda showed why. They straight up botched that system completely with that incredibly bad level design.

Belker

It was literally the buggiest game I'd ever played and was incredibly low resolution and full of jaggies on Xbox.

And it was still one of the best shooters I'd ever played, with fantastic movement and gameplay that required precision coordination for success.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
I always liked Brink, complete clusterfuck of a game technically but when it worked I really enjoyed playing it. Put a good few hours into it as well on the 360 from what I remember. I also remember its shotgun being an absolute beast.

snap

Banned
only thing i remember is that there were three different player body types

and some body types could get to places the others couldn't and i remember feeling like that was a huge bummer for some reason?

I think ETQWs downfall was its emphasis on vehicles - it diluted the CQC chokepoint objective teamplay where SD games are at their best.
I don't think that's true honestly. Most of the maps funneled down to infantry only finishes and the vehicles had many counters (EMP being the main one). The vehicles were easy to avoid if you wanted to. Not to say that people didn't become super good with them, just even if you were a monster you were limited to certain areas. Now I won't say ET:QW was a better game because of vehicles since I spent like, less than 10h in one with a 300h+ playtime, but the emphasis was still on infantry combat.

It had a very rocky launch with tons of crashes and issues that weren't really ironed out until 1.3 and beyond. I feel most players had already moved on by then. The Beta did it no favors as people coming from either Quake or ET weren't ready to give it a chance. It is its own thing and it works well. It was a bit clunky on the technical side but it was certainly something you got used to.

I will say that from a balance standpoint the variation between objectives meant that you never really had a sweet spot for player count. 24 players worked well when objectives were spread out, but like I said you often got funneled, and when you got indoors it got quite chaotic. 16 players meant that you had a lot of open ground with not much happening since the maps are huge, it needed more coordination than pubs could usually supply. 12 players or 6v6 was the standard for comp but that meant that vehicles were suddenly way more powerful and needed to be disabled. 8 players or 4v4 became the norm as the comp scene dwindeled. None of these were ever ideal, BUT it meant that the gameplay varied a lot across the map as it went from really large to very narrow and spammy.

This game, for as much as it was flawed, had some of the most coolest traversal mechanics in a shooter.

I got this more or less when it came out for the ps3 and I don't remember the mechanics coming close to blowing me away even for the time. Traversal-wise, I don't think Titanfall 1/2 accomplished much more of what Brink set out to do, even if its focus wasn't on parkour in the way Brink's was.

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
Lol as if Lawbreakers didn't already have enough competition

Nothing but amusement at this turn of events. Brink had some interesting ideas but with poor execution. Pretty sure all those interesting ideas have been incorporated in better shooters since then.

I bought it at launch on 360 and actually quite liked the game itself but recall it being plagued with networking problems. I can't remember if it was getting dropped constantly or just unplayable lag, but I remember their 'solution' was to patch the game and half the maximum player-count so even a full match was half players and half bots.

Top Bottom